Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69809

Has anyone tried out this mod? It adds new locations to the empty parts of the Mojave and I'm debating using it or Enhanced Landscapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69809

Has anyone tried out this mod? It adds new locations to the empty parts of the Mojave and I'm debating using it or Enhanced Landscapes

I debated using it for my current playthrough. Outside of Goodsprings I came across a building with a Powder Ganger merchant that you can talk to, but has no voiced dialogue. It gave me AWOP vibes, so I noped out of it. Might not be a dealbreaker for you though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After I went through a super mutant cave that covered half the world map I gave up on AWOP. So maybe this one aint for me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The various NPC addition mods made the wasteland feel pretty lived in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I don't know how this happened but Deputy Beagle is now Deputy Bishie.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Must have used some very good shampoo. Pity he skipped his skincare routine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BTW I solved my problem, turns out it was a load order issue.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I started replaying this game like half the internet recently and holy poo poo it's still good. I'd love to have go at running some mods, but struggle if it's ever more complicated than clicking 'subscribe' in Steam workshop. Is the guide in the OP still up to date or is there a better one in this thread or elsewhere?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Snowman_McK posted:

I started replaying this game like half the internet recently and holy poo poo it's still good. I'd love to have go at running some mods, but struggle if it's ever more complicated than clicking 'subscribe' in Steam workshop. Is the guide in the OP still up to date or is there a better one in this thread or elsewhere?
This is, believe it or not, the easy one: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/intro.html

There might be simpler modpacks out there but I think the consensus is that it's basically the best value for the time you put in. Especially if you go for a single month's worth of Nexus Premium to lift download throttling.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is, believe it or not, the easy one: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/intro.html

There might be simpler modpacks out there but I think the consensus is that it's basically the best value for the time you put in. Especially if you go for a single month's worth of Nexus Premium to lift download throttling.

thanks very much. I tried to put it together myself, but of course it crashed immediately because i'm very bad with computers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Might have a load order conflict, just get one mod that covers one thing only and make sure it doesn't conflict with the others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone been getting a mod conflict where certain weapons are missing their melee sound effects? I think that Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod is the culprit after I compared my load order against another reddit user with the same problem and it was the only similar mod.

EDIT: I found out what was happening. Viva New Vegas tells you to mark the esp for the Weapon Mesh mod as "hidden" so you don't get some of the mod's unlisted changes to gameplay like altering the number of rounds you get using the Junk Rounds perk. The downside is that putting the esp to hidden also ends up demarking a bunch of the melee attack sounds.

So it's a tradeoff. You either get some potentially unnecessary feature bloat with the esp, or you don't get sound effects for melee.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 7, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Snowman_McK posted:

Im pretty stupid but hit up Viva New Vegas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dumb idiot question from a guy who has been modding off and on since 2012. With the way Mod Organizer works by injecting mod files into the game virtually rather than storing everything in the game's installation folder, is it safer to remove mods from a playthrough and revert to an earlier save without loose files sticking around the saves?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dumb idiot question from a guy who has been modding off and on since 2012. With the way Mod Organizer works by injecting mod files into the game virtually rather than storing everything in the game's installation folder, is it safer to remove mods from a playthrough and revert to an earlier save without loose files sticking around the saves?
Using Mod Organizer (or Vortex) vs installing mods in the game's own folder doesn't impact what happens when you remove mods from an ongoing game.

Whether a mod is save to remove from an ongoing game depends on what the mod does. For example a mod that only adds an item should be save to remove as long as you or a NPC near you doesn't have it equipped.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raygereio posted:

Using Mod Organizer (or Vortex) vs installing mods in the game's own folder doesn't impact what happens when you remove mods from an ongoing game.

Whether a mod is save to remove from an ongoing game depends on what the mod does. For example a mod that only adds an item should be save to remove as long as you or a NPC near you doesn't have it equipped.

I'm looking at removing Dragbody's WW2 NCR mod because while I'm a fan of the armours I dont much care for the new NPC faces that come alongside it. His 10th anniversary modpack has a very nice redesign of the NCR armours anyways so if its just a texture and mesh swap it should be safe to change out?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm looking at removing Dragbody's WW2 NCR mod because while I'm a fan of the armours I dont much care for the new NPC faces that come alongside it. His 10th anniversary modpack has a very nice redesign of the NCR armours anyways so if its just a texture and mesh swap it should be safe to change out?

If a mod doesn't add anything new, but only replaces stuff (something you can easily check with xEdit) then yeah it's fine to remove.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Im pretty stupid but hit up Viva New Vegas

Thanks, we can be stupid together.

I still reel every time I realise how much stuff is in this game. The first time I played it, I played it the way Fallout 3 had taught me to play fallout games, and just dashed from objective to objective. Having through twice since, It is bonkers just how much there is to it. The sheer number of interesting quests and odd little characters...quality aside, it's almost impressive just how much of New Vegas there is.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

iirc the only thing thats likely to gently caress up a save is if you delete mods with bad/large scripts

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Do people have any reccomendations for mods to stick on top of Viva New Vegas for someone relatively new to modding? I'm pretty certain I managed to set that up without bricking my PC, so I'm wondering were to go next.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I just set up VNV for a friend and added both Cyberware 2281 and Threshold on top of it. No issues.

Also consider a better home mod for wherever you decide to make your home location and the stash organizer mod as well for it. Kinda blanking on the name for the mod but it lets you set up container sorting however you want them in game and allows for crafting from storage.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Vagabong posted:

Do people have any reccomendations for mods to stick on top of Viva New Vegas for someone relatively new to modding? I'm pretty certain I managed to set that up without bricking my PC, so I'm wondering were to go next.

Unless your PC is from before 2008 you are safe from that fear for certain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Taerkar posted:

I just set up VNV for a friend and added both Cyberware 2281 and Threshold on top of it. No issues.

Also consider a better home mod for wherever you decide to make your home location and the stash organizer mod as well for it. Kinda blanking on the name for the mod but it lets you set up container sorting however you want them in game and allows for crafting from storage.

Sortomatic?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm using Stash Organizer.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I asked this in the main thread forgetting this thread exists.

Is there a specific mod I should install to restore a lot of the NPCs cut out through the dlc releases? Or is that part of some of the stuff included in viv new vegas?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So are there any mods to disable or delay the "Don't Tread of the Bear" and "Beware the Wrath of Caesar" quests? I'd like to be able to do a few more things/play them along before having to make the final decision.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

funmanguy posted:

I asked this in the main thread forgetting this thread exists.

Is there a specific mod I should install to restore a lot of the NPCs cut out through the dlc releases? Or is that part of some of the stuff included in viv new vegas?
Pretty sure they’re included. I think the NPCs cut by the DLC are all entirely cosmetic anyway - dancers in the Gomorrah fountain, etc.

There are some minor “cut content” mods, like making it so Rotface’s threads get progressively nicer as you pay him a cap per rumor. But at least in the last iteration of VNV, that suite of mods was incompatible with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61121 For all the New Vegas Uncut mods minus Freeside Open and Outside Bets in one merged file.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56625 for the extra NPCS and missing clutter.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm using Uncut Wasteland plus Outside Bets with the fix mod for the Sheriff Meyers speech and haven't really had any problems with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The thing I've noticed about the Viva New Vegas guide is that it is fine as a vanilla+ base for further modding. Holding to it as much as possible is just going to limit your options, though. Most mods will work okay with each other, some will require give and take and some just won't work at all. That's just modding, though. Once you venture outside of the VNV guide you really have to start looking at what you want to change and seeing what your options are.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Definitely keep in mind the guide's advice on mods to avoid though. There are some really bad ones out there.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Is StewieAi tweaks recommended/must have? I see it does some cool things, never heard of it til today though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Is StewieAi tweaks recommended/must have? I see it does some cool things, never heard of it til today though.

Be sure to download the ini file required to make the changes. Theres a lot of really handy stuff in there but it's extensive. Thankfully the main mod comes with a Readme to walk you through it all. There's over 800 toggles you can use and they're all disabled initially, so you can pick and choose what you want.

It doesn't do everything, mind you. The one part of the old Project Nevada mod I want back that hasn't been redone yet is the one that let's you adjust vendor restock, experience gain and the like. Theres an older mod that does the same thing but it and project Nevada are both script hogs.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, I don't like the Viva New Vegas' offered ini at all. Better to download the blank one and edit to your satisfaction.

Anyone happen to have Lombard Station and LPAM? Seems the mega links in the OP have finally bit the dust.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Out of curiosity what don't you like about their ini?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Taerkar posted:

Out of curiosity what don't you like about their ini?

Removing quest markers beyond a certain range is definitely one of those things I question. That's why I say it's good as a base but be aware that not everything in the NVN guide is necessarily something you might want on your playthrough.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 10, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I prefer the idea of removing quest markers within a certain distance

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seeing a few CoD weapon rips on the nexus. Apparently Activition's okay with that? Is that true?

Also, is there a way of transferring an MO installation between drives without it being a giant headache?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

I prefer the idea of removing quest markers within a certain distance

That would be cool to encourage you to actually search a room or location using visual cues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

it would be cool if games were designed without quest markers in mind so everytrhing isnt laid out like a skyrim dungeon