Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Silly question from a non-player:

My understanding is that in high-sec space, aggression will result in a bunch of NPC ships coming in and kicking your rear end, supposedly always a greater number than you can hope to defeat.

My understanding is also that with sufficiently large fleet battles, the game grinds to a crawl as the server hosting EVE struggles under the load.

So if a lot of players threw a huge fleet into high-sec space and started a fight, could it conceivably crash the server or otherwise grind the game to a halt, as the server spawns a huge NPC fleet to deal with the player blob?
The CONCORD fleet that spawns in when you attack someone in Highsec isn't that big, just a few ships, but they have NPC-only wepons that will instantly immobilize and moments later vaporize any ship regardless of tank.

Plus what Gwyneth said, even if you do manage to crash the node it will only affect the systems running on that node, not the game as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Do people still have to petition for nodes to be dedicated to a single system when big fights are about to happen?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My understanding is that in high-sec space, aggression will result in a bunch of NPC ships coming in and kicking your rear end, supposedly always a greater number than you can hope to defeat.

My understanding is also that with sufficiently large fleet battles, the game grinds to a crawl as the server hosting EVE struggles under the load.

So if a lot of players threw a huge fleet into high-sec space and started a fight, could it conceivably crash the server or otherwise grind the game to a halt, as the server spawns a huge NPC fleet to deal with the player blob?

Look up the original Burn Jita event. We did crash the node ganking highsec players

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As you've correctly understood, this whole thing started because of the "jammer." This refers to a Cynosural Jammer, which prevents the use of a Cynosural Field Generator (or just "cyno") in the system in which it is onlined. Cynos are used to allow capital and supercapital-class ("cap" and "supercap") ships to fold space from anywhere inside of their modest range and jump directly to the cyno. Controlling the jammer means hostiles can choose who can jump in caps/supercaps, which gives them a large advantage in further offensive actions in the solar system ("system".)

Hostiles have been following a fairly predictable (and usually effective) conquest pattern.
A) Destroy the system's infrastructure hub (required to use a jammer.)
2) Online their own infrastructure hub and wait the 35 days that are required before the game allows you to online a cynosural jammer.
iii) Online a jammer and destroy any remaining space stations in the system without fear of reprisal from us.

The jammer is at the heart of what went wrong for hostiles in M2-FX3. (Most null security systems have random alphanumeric strings as names.) When you want to erect a jammer, there's a lifecycle that it has to follow before it comes fully online. This allows opponents the ability to screw with you and your plans. A fleet of our guys managed to catch hostiles off-guard, and shot the jammer before it could fully online. Doing this put the jammer into "reinforced mode," which is a refractory period before the jammer can be attacked again. (This exists to let defenders plan for its defense.)

With the jammer reinforced, we could freely jump in our own caps and supercaps to defend the hostiles' target: in this case, a keepstar-class space station. Thanks to the keepstar's formidable defensive features, we managed to equally trade titan-class supercapital losses, in one of the most even fights in the game's history.

The fight over the M2-FXE keepstar lasted until server downtime. During server downtime, all pilots are forcibly disconnected from the game so the server can do maintenance, feed the hamsters, etc. One important feature of downtime is that if your ship survives until downtime, as long as you don't log in again, you're completely safe. We chose to log all of our forces back in after downtime. Hostiles did not. Because of this, we were able to hold the field after downtime, erect a gigantic warp disruption trap around where we believed the hostile supercaps would appear when they next logged in, and otherwise got Hot Pocket crumbs all over the place. With rotating shifts, we kept eyes on the trapped area for the next 48 hours.

Then, came the events of yesterday (Jan 3rd.) The keepstar space station that the hostiles were after in the first place was due to come out of its final reinforcement timer. If hostiles could keep shooting it after the timer elapsed, and not allow it to repair, it would be destroyed. Knowing that the server would strain under the load of so many undershowered video gamers, we chose to bring our forces in several hours in advance. Hostiles did not; they claimed eleventh-hour materiel and ship logistics as taking up too much of their time. When hostiles finally decided to engage, they found themselves at the mercy of the server. Their ships appeared in space outside of their pilots' control, and we were able to slaughter them essentially like they'd lined up for the wood chipper one by one. We lost nothing, except for one titan-class supercap that jumped to the wrong cyno by mistake.

The end result was a disaster for hostiles. A huge chunk of their titans were dead, and they didn't even manage to shoot the keepstar space station. It repaired fully.

Hopefully that makes it easier to understand. I left out the nuance that didn't seem too important; especially bits about Time Dilation (TIDI), which warps the flow of time in a solar system to allow for the server to handle more actions.

You said "erect". Twice.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dr. Pangloss posted:

You said "erect". Twice.

:wiggle:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I'm querns. I don't have Eve installed right now, but I am on jabber and I occasionally post about Eve anyways. It's my right as an Eve winner.

Things are awfully spicy. Ever think about losing again?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Dr. Pangloss posted:

You said "erect". Twice.

Moist

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

coelomate posted:

Things are awfully spicy. Ever think about losing again?

Nope! Work is way too fuckin' hot for me to do this. Ship posting is about as much as I can manage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

coelomate posted:

Mittani said something like "this ends in violence, not diplomacy" last night re: the trapped super fleet(s).

this was basically the Battle of Stalingrad where they captured 235,000 german troops

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Look up the original Burn Jita event. We did crash the node ganking highsec players

Frankly, most of the burn jita events crashed the node or made it very unstable. Last one I remember was someone trading 1000 catalysts being the straw that broke the camel's back.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Erulisse posted:

Back in 2007 or 09 salvage drones were already removed from game afair, and only a relic skillbook circulated, then they were re-introduced.
Can't find any related info, I guess 12 years is a bit too much even for internets

Funny, back in 2007 I stumbled over SA for the first time, but for many years after I just lurked to read Pokemón-LPs. :v:

I couldn't even join because no-one wanted to give me a creditcard and I remember discussing alternative payment methods with Lowtax over a couple emails. In the end I decided the methods offered by Lowtax were too weird and I went back to lurking until my credit rating recovered enough I could ask for a credit card without unholy laughter being the only response.

Anyway, until 2012 or so SA was mostly the funny place to read screenshot Let's Plays. In 2012 I saw a news article talking about EVE, Goons and SA, which was one of the final factors for me to join the forums. And start playing EVE.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 3, 2021

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Libluini posted:

Anyway, until 2012 or so SA was mostly the funny place to read screenshot Let's Plays. In 2012 I saw a news article talking about EVE, Goons and SA, which was one of the final factors for me to join the forums. And start playing EVE.

Weren't you in MiniLuv back then? Your name is pretty familiar

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xolve posted:

Hah, I wish! I never ended up joining EVE-goons. In 2012/2013 I was mostly too overwhelmed with EVE and life in general, and in 2014 I started playing Elite, and eventually joined the Diamond Frogs, our goon org in that game. I'm also occasionally playing with goons in other games, like Dominions 5. Turns out I simply don't have the time to join a third gaming group, as sad as it is.

And my name is an obscure archaeology-reference, I'm pretty sure that name is unique across the internet.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Xolve posted:

I was :)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Libluini posted:

Funny, back in 2007 I stumbled over SA for the first time, but for many years after I just lurked to read Pokemón-LPs. :v:

I couldn't even join because no-one wanted to give me a creditcard and I remember discussing alternative payment methods with Lowtax over a couple emails. In the end I decided the methods offered by Lowtax were too weird and I went back to lurking until my credit rating recovered enough I could ask for a credit card without unholy laughter being the only response.

Ahahahah almost same story! Back in 2007 (or was it 06?) I visited SA for the first time too, as goons were allies of some friends that invited me to EVE but residing on multitude of free forums the fact of paying money to register was surreal for me. I also had no moneys being a highschooler back then :D

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

6-24 never forget :respek:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Libluini posted:

Do bank cards and prepaid credit cards not exist in your country?

Like, there is always a bank willing to give you an account,and most if them only deal in bank cards

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Xolve posted:

can I come?

Do it!
I guess we currently have a lot of people who just want to burn Trapi to the ground and will gently caress right off after the war finishes.

Mittens has handed out lots of pardons even before the Horn of Goondor.
What did you do anyway to get on the black list?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Evemail newbies@goonfleet.com who will tell you to get ahold of innominate.

A blanket pardon was apparently issued when mittens sounded the horn of goondor

Awaiting my response from this here place. I'm starting out as a brand new newbie again too lmbo.

Autopiloting to Jita at the moment and I'm gonna see if I have anything to trade from my old Jita alt (I doubt it, pretty sure I liquidated that character)

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 3, 2021

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Malefitz posted:

What did you do anyway to get on the black list?

Nothing super interesting. Someone trying to gain influence with Mittens made some accusations because I didn't answer his random questions about life in the military (no idea who would lie about being at Fort Polk for 6 years, but here we are).

I also sent Querns a random Jabber ping on a Logi5 "alt" (which is also my account name) that I was using at the time when I sold Xolve. Reached out to Mittens, maybe I lose EVE, maybe I don't.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 3, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Do bank cards and prepaid credit cards not exist in your country?

Like, there is always a bank willing to give you an account,and most if them only deal in bank cards

Turns out you need money first to get a prepaid card, and our normal bank cards are not usable on the other side of the world, as strange as that is. Thanks to the US not joining some dumb international banking pact I couldn't even just wire Lowtax the money directly to his account, which was the normal way of paying I grew up with. Even if Lowtax had given me his account details for the transfer (he didn't want to), the fee for a money transfer to a US-bank account would have cost me about 3x as much as the 10 bucks themselves. And since I already had no money for a prepaid credit card, welp.

And in 2007 I lived on unemployment benefits, which back then in Germany meant banks would spit in your face if you wanted more than a prepaid card

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Did anyone get a dscan count of how many titans hostiles had total? They were claiming over 1000. If that’s true then maybe we get another super fight out of them.

What tickled me is that even if they had 1000 titan pilots that doesn’t mean they have more titans than imperium.

I’m re-listening to the new eden post stream just enjoying the move from elation to utter devastation in their voices.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but did anyone hear if all those 'ghost' titans end up getting wiped at downtime?

Part of thinks that PAPI wouldn't comment publicly either way for opsec reasons, but I'd think at least a couple of the guys involved would either be mega salty or super relieved enough to say something.

edit; I'm trying so hard not to lose Eve right now, thank god for Cyberpunk

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ship posting is about as much as I can manage.

That turn of phrase makes me wonder - whatever happened to Flanders

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

rocketrobot posted:

Do people still have to petition for nodes to be dedicated to a single system when big fights are about to happen?

Yes they do. Both t5 and m2 were petitioned in advance.

Aedaxus
Feb 3, 2019

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Did anyone get a dscan count of how many titans hostiles had total? They were claiming over 1000. If that’s true then maybe we get another super fight out of them.

What tickled me is that even if they had 1000 titan pilots that doesn’t mean they have more titans than imperium.

I’m re-listening to the new eden post stream just enjoying the move from elation to utter devastation in their voices.

Their streams are better now they lost around 70 Titans just a day ago. Their war declaration is a gift that keeps giving, get everyone in, we can't do it alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg :D

Aedaxus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 3, 2021

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Possible enemy breakout attempt occurring now?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

Wait ha ha, don't tell me they are walking into the woodchipper a second time now? :allears:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Libluini posted:

Wait ha ha, don't tell me they are walking into the woodchipper a second time now? :allears:

Sounds like it. Everyone to M2 it seems. Again. 1 hour before the Metashow, so everyone's online already.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Libluini posted:

i wouldn't get absurdly smug. the bad guys still outform in subs so a quick breakout where they boosh off or blow up the bubbles isn't out of the question

e: though in light of the following, lmao

Comstar posted:

1 hour before the Metashow, so everyone's online already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Xolve posted:

Nothing super interesting. Someone trying to gain influence with Mittens made some accusations because I didn't answer his random questions about life in the military (no idea who would lie about being at Fort Polk for 6 years, but here we are).

I also sent Querns a random Jabber ping on a Logi5 "alt" (which is also my account name) that I was using at the time when I sold Xolve. Reached out to Mittens, maybe I lose EVE, maybe I don't.

The old spymasters were so poo poo. Ratcatchers are going to make things into rats if they can't find actual rats.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

The old spymasters were so poo poo. Ratcatchers are going to make things into rats if they can't find actual rats.

I had Digi confused because he couldn't figure out who my alts were, since I made most of my space dollars playing the character bazaar before skill injectors turned it into a glue factory.

I think it was more of a timing thing than anything else, these events all happened around the time Vile Rat died. As a guy in PL at the time, I thought it was funny in the most try-hard kind of way and nothing really came of it until a few years later when Vyst had let me into GoonWaffe after I had left PL.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 3, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I miss the old bazaar. Being able to sub infinite accounts because people were impatient was the best.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Come play with me and stereotype

Yosposters unite

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Comstar posted:

It almost worked.

https://br.evetools.org/br/5ff22a190b80830014389378

The Turkey Shoots just keep coming

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

I got blacklisted because a friend I sponsored in got caught joking about shooting blues on the same day I changed my SA username, which was also on April 1(I did not even realize the date when I did it, lol)

Digi was a straight sociopath tho

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got blacklisted for leaking the date of Burn Jita 2014 itt on 4/20 while out of my mind on :420:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

come play with us! me and fat32 can give you lots of things (mostly him probably lol)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Jazzzzz posted:

That turn of phrase makes me wonder - whatever happened to Flanders

I won Eve a few years ago, and haven't gotten the craving to come back yet. I occasionally check in on the thread to see how things are going, and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Stereotype posted:

come play with us! me and fat32 can give you lots of things (mostly him probably lol)

Yosposters get the good good