Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I’m imagining some over worked under paid insurance defense lawyer reading your letter and then touching himself while muttering preclusive effect over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

EwokEntourage posted:

In Texas it’d still be solicitation - a) A person commits an offense if, with intent that a capital felony or felony of the first degree be committed, he requests, commands, or attempts to induce another to engage in specific conduct that, under the circumstances surrounding his conduct as the actor believes them to be, would constitute the felony or make the other a party to its commission.

The person Still requested and attempted to induce the person to commit the murder, even if he backs out last moment

The final question just locks down the mens rea. Backing down at the last moment / exchanging money would have effect on sentencing but so would everything else in the act

Cool, thank you!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Get a new lawyer

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

elise the great posted:

Update on sexual harassment friend: her father, who also works for the same company, kept telling her to keep her head down and not make a fuss and “everyone’s true colors would come out in the end,” which is a weird way of telling your daughter that when she gets raped that’ll show her bosses what’s up.

This morning her dad was fired lol

At least she’s getting a lawyer now??

lmao

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

elise the great posted:

Update on sexual harassment friend: her father, who also works for the same company, kept telling her to keep her head down and not make a fuss and “everyone’s true colors would come out in the end,” which is a weird way of telling your daughter that when she gets raped that’ll show her bosses what’s up.

This morning her dad was fired lol

At least she’s getting a lawyer now??

Was wondering why she was treating this dysfunctional workplace like a dysfunctional family, but then this answered my question.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If they do end up ratfucking her (looks like they are, given they fired her dad) and the lawsuit goes nowhere, is there any point in going scorched earth and going to the local news? I imagine that'll get the company in poo poo but her in deeper poo poo when she tries to get another job.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Outrail posted:

If they do end up ratfucking her (looks like they are, given they fired her dad) and the lawsuit goes nowhere, is there any point in going scorched earth and going to the local news? I imagine that'll get the company in poo poo but her in deeper poo poo when she tries to get another job.

Ask her lawyer, but. What does she want? Money? To keep her job? To publicly shame herself and feel slightly righteous as she stares at an unemployment application? Going to the news will piss the other side off and usually (not always) makes them less likely to pay money, because they're really mad. Nuances apply.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Outrail posted:

No. Fair or not, the local news will be totally uninterested in what amounts to "local person gets fired, complains about it." With no corroboration, there's nothing to report.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Captain von Trapp posted:

No. Fair or not, the local news will be totally uninterested in what amounts to "local person gets fired, complains about it." With no corroboration, there's nothing to report.

Is she white and good looking? That puts a different complexion (boosh) on "justice".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fun new fact:

If someone hacks into your paypal account (airquotes around "hacks", as they probably stole the password somewhere. Even though I wasn't stupid enough to reuse it and don't think I fell for a phishing scam) they can steal more than just the paypal funds - they can steal money off the credit card tied to your paypal account. A loooooooot of money.

Paypal told me to gently caress off twice over - "We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case _________, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use".

Cool.

I pointed out that my paypal account was basically used for very modest transactions of less than 20$ per month for years, and I never withdrawn money from my credit card (why is that an option, and why doesn't that require any further confirmation beyond access to the paypal account?), never mind that the hacker probably accessed the account from outside Israel while the Corona outbreak kinda means I'm stuck here...

Same reply.

Apparently the hacker bought bitcoin or somesuch off "Paxful market", as one of the people I filed a refund request against (mostly the same two guys over and over, in frequent 50$ transactions over the past month) contacted me and asked me to withdraw my complaint. Mentioned that the hacker's phone number was (I don't know if I should post it here) which is listed as a scammer's landline in Dallas, Texas.

Anything I can even try?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 1, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dispute it with your credit card company? Worst case scenario they also tell you to gently caress off. Best case scenario they consider it stolen, you get refunded, PayPal gets miffed and cuts you off, and now you’re not using PayPal. Win/win/win.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bad Munki posted:

Dispute it with your credit card company? Worst case scenario they also tell you to gently caress off. Best case scenario they consider it stolen, you get refunded, PayPal gets miffed and cuts you off, and now you’re not using PayPal. Win/win/win.
I am. Noticed the theft yesterday, contacted the company, a representative is supposed to get back to me (this Sunday, hopefully). I hope the January payment can be cancelled, but the slightly smaller (7000 NIS) payment for December was already processed, and I'm not sure how well the refund would go.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I don’t recall what the time limit usually is but I’m pretty sure you paying your credit card bill doesn’t close the case in any way.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah I don’t recall what the time limit usually is but I’m pretty sure you paying your credit card bill doesn’t close the case in any way.
Managed to contact an Israeli paypal representative by phone and file an appeal (with a slightly encouraging "oh yeah, your paypal account generally doesn't send thousands of $ to random bitcoin merchants. That's weird"). Should I go ahead with the refund request via my bank \ credit card company at the same time, or give the appeal time to get rejected again?

Edit - wow. Denied instantly. No 9 day review, no nothing - totally consistent with my payment history. Cool.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 3, 2021

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Let me preface this by saying, I have an attorney and I am just posting here to get the collective goon lawyer second opinion (I am in Indiana).

This is a family law question related to a divorce.

Backstory

I have been married to my wife for 17 years, and we have one child together. My wife and I have been separated since April of 2018, and on August 5th of 2020 she filed for divorce. We are mostly in agreement regarding shared joint custody, so at least that is not an issue. Here are the issues I am having...

1. My wife makes $120,000 a year and she gets a yearly bonus (my current salary, by my own choosing, is $41,000);
2. Since our separation she has been paying me $500 in child support a month;
3. We have a signed separation agreement covering 'custody' dated to April, 2018 (and it also stipulates the child support amount); however, it was never filed;
4. In the time since our separation, but before she filed, my wife has:
a. squirrelled away $31,000 in her 401k;
b. bought a house for her and her new girl friend;
c. asked me to 'watch' our dogs, which I was supposed to have part custody of, and then refused to take them
back--this has cost me an addition $100 a month in rent, and almost $1,000 in vet bills;
d. without telling me she filed her 2019 taxes by herself (we had previously filed jointly) and claimed our child;
this resulted in me owing the IRS $2,800;

Current Issues/Questions

1. she tried to get me to agree to accepting a child support arrangement where she only pays me $75 a week (the Indiana state formula--which is already terrible--shows she should be paying me at least $118 per week;
2. I asked for $11,000 of her 401k--which you should note is less than what I am legally allowed in Indiana;
a. I did not do any discovery on any equity she had in her home, the money in her bank as of the filing date, or
for any other financial assetts she might have hidden;
3. I, of course, rejected her offer and she got mad; so...
4. after threatening to withhold child support from me in November unless I 'divorced her by the end of the year,'
after my rejection of her 'offer' 3 weeks ago, she has actually withheld child support for the month of January--
and I imagine she will continue to do so until a court tells her she cannot;

My questions amount to just a solicitation of general advice here, and what I should be thinking about strategically, and, since I am having to borrow money to pay my bills (from a family member) in the absence of child support, what do you think the likelihood is that I will eventually be able to collect any child support she is refusing to pay.

Just For Fun

She's been trying to weaponize the fact she makes a LOT more money than me against me, but unfortunately for her I have a mom who is considerably more wealth than she is. When I rejected her $75 a week in child support, she said to me in a text that she'd just take me to court until I ran out of money rather than pay me (really my son) more than $85 a week for child support.

I basically told her to do her worst because a court was likely to give me more than I am asking me for, and she cannot just 'outspend me' until I give up, because I can just borrow money from my mom to litigate.

So she texted my mom and told her I don't deserve any more money than my ex is offering me, and that I should have less because I chose to make less money to work in the public/non-profit sector, and she told my mom she was just 'enabling my bad life decisions.'

Honestly, I had no idea--even after 20 years together--what type of person she really was until the actual divorce proceedings started.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Get a lawyer - now.

e: i read gud

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 3, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

He literally says he has one in the first sentence.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In an extremely general sense: child support is easier when the person in question has a job paying money into a bank account. The bank gets told 'send money this way' or worst case the business gets told 'send a proportion of the paycheck this way'.

Child support is problematic when the parent is unemployed or off the grid or being paid under the table.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bad Munki posted:

He literally says he has one in the first sentence.

I kind of doubt he foes because most people who have lawyers and ask for a second opinion tell us what their lawyers recommend. he never mentions his lawyer going anything.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Do you want a second opinion or someone to vent to? Do you really want a therapist?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

nm posted:

I kind of doubt he foes because most people who have lawyers and ask for a second opinion tell us what their lawyers recommend. he never mentions his lawyer going anything.

I do have an attorney, I promise. She is the one that doesn’t. I am only asking for a second opinion because, well it just seemed like a thing I should do, and when I have called around to other attorneys practicing Family Law they all want money for the consultation—probably because I am up front and tell them, “I have an attorney and am looking for a second opinion.”

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I do have an attorney, I promise. She is the one that doesn’t. I am only asking for a second opinion because, well it just seemed like a thing I should do, and when I have called around to other attorneys practicing Family Law they all want money for the consultation—probably because I am up front and tell them, “I have an attorney and am looking for a second opinion.”

Tell her to get an attorney

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

Let me preface this by saying, I have an attorney and I am just posting here to get the collective goon lawyer second opinion (I am in Indiana).

Backstory

I have been married to my wife for 17 years, and we have one child together. My wife and I have been separated since April of 2018, and on August 5th of 2020 she filed for divorce. We are mostly in agreement regarding shared joint custody, so at least that is not an issue. Here are the issues I am having...

1. My wife makes $120,000 a year and she gets a yearly bonus (my current salary, by my own choosing, is $41,000);
2. Since our separation she has been paying me $500 in child support a month;
3. We have a signed separation agreement covering 'custody' dated to April, 2018 (and it also stipulates the child support amount); however, it was never filed;
4. In the time since our separation, but before she filed, my wife has:
a. squirrelled away $31,000 in her 401k;
b. bought a house for her and her new girl friend;
c. asked me to 'watch' our dogs, which I was supposed to have part custody of, and then refused to take them
back--this has cost me an addition $100 a month in rent, and almost $1,000 in vet bills;
d. without telling me she filed her 2019 taxes by herself (we had previously filed jointly) and claimed our child;
this resulted in me owing the IRS $2,800;

Current Issues/Questions

1. she tried to get me to agree to accepting a child support arrangement where she only pays me $75 a week (the Indiana state formula--which is already terrible--shows she should be paying me at least $118 per week;
2. I asked for $11,000 of her 401k--which you should note is less than what I am legally allowed in Indiana;
a. I did not do any discovery on any equity she had in her home, the money in her bank as of the filing date, or
for any other financial assetts she might have hidden;
3. I, of course, rejected her offer and she got mad; so...
4. after threatening to withhold child support from me in November unless I 'divorced her by the end of the year,'
after my rejection of her 'offer' 3 weeks ago, she has actually withheld child support for the month of January--
and I imagine she will continue to do so until a court tells her she cannot;

My questions amount to just a solicitation of general advice here, and what I should be thinking about strategically, and, since I am having to borrow money to pay my bills (from a family member) in the absence of child support, what do you think the likelihood is that I will eventually be able to collect any child support she is refusing to pay.

Just For Fun

She's been trying to weaponize the fact she makes a LOT more money than me against me, but unfortunately for her I have a mom who is considerably more wealth than she is. When I rejected her $75 a week in child support, she said to me in a text that she'd just take me to court until I ran out of money rather than pay me (really my son) more than $85 a week for child support.

I basically told her to do her worst because a court was likely to give me more than I am asking me for, and she cannot just 'outspend me' until I give up, because I can just borrow money from my mom to litigate.

So she texted my mom and told her I don't deserve any more money than my ex is offering me, and that I should have less because I chose to make less money to work in the public/non-profit sector, and she told my mom she was just 'enabling my bad life decisions.'

Honestly, I had no idea--even after 20 years together--what type of person she really was until the actual divorce proceedings started.

Not a lawyer, but people do crazy stuff generally and crazier stuff still in a divorce, and you don't want to be adding more crazy on your side of the ledger. Her thrashing around is not necessarily reflective of who she was, is, or will be, but it will nevertheless be frustrating and expensive until you and YOUR LAWYER resolve it, so the less you are battling with her yourself, the better. Keep cool, focus on the kid, let YOUR LAWYER and a judge be the one to argue with her. The child's best interest is likely the standard by which you will both be judged.

My friend accepted far less spousal support than what sense and common practice demanded as an effort to try to help "heal" her ex-husband (burned badly by his own previous divorce). He cut off all contact with my friend as soon as his pittance payments were concluded and has never once responded to her in the years since. An anecdote isn't data, but do consider what you think you are accomplishing by even entertaining anything less than the ordinary amount for anything. Consider how you will feel if your ex becomes less reasonable after the support order is entered rather than more reasonable, or if your child, your family, or a future partner later is dismayed to find out that you intentionally asked for less than you could have and probably should have. You don't need to go for the MAXIMUM DOLLAR, just do the normal thing and be done.

homullus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 4, 2021

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

You don’t really need a second opinion unless you think your lawyer is doing a bad job for some reason

Also we needed to know the judge you’re in front of, the status of the case, etc

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 4, 2021

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I guess the other minor thing that your lawyer has already probably told you - save copies of everything. All her crazy texts, DMs, emails, etc. Check if you're in a one-party consent state and if you legally can, record phone calls. Etc. etc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wait, was everything prior to this done without a lawyer? All the pre-divorce agreements? And the "agreements" never filed?

Was there nothing legally on paper prior to the divorce?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

-snip-

Talk to your attorney is my second opinion. Family law in particular is going to depend on the court, the area, where the case is at, and a lot of other minute details.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

If someone hacks into your paypal account (airquotes around "hacks", as they probably stole the password somewhere. Even though I wasn't stupid enough to reuse it and don't think I fell for a phishing scam) they can steal more than just the paypal funds - they can steal money off the credit card tied to your paypal account. A loooooooot of money.
Called a local representative again, explained, cajoled, threatened, begged.

Got a basic "here's 800$ back, now gently caress off" handout.

Finally managed to get in touch with my credit card's fraud department (who really hate the notion of anyone contacting them directly instead of patiently waiting for representative to get back to them) and they started... some sort of motion... today.

Whether by sheer coincidence or because the Israeli representative actually gave a poo poo, paypal decided that:
"We've reviewed your unauthorised payment claims again and this time we've determined that the payments in question were/was indeed unauthorised.

We've refunded the full amounts back to your card."

Hope that's actually "the full amounts".

Thank gently caress that all that frantic begging actually worked, eventually. Just a few years ago I probably would have had a heart attack, because a few thousand $ was the difference between paying rent and ending up homeless.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Update on sexual harassment friend: they fired her yesterday morning, took her projects and commissions, and gave them to the guy who threatened to rape her.

Fortunately, she did contact a really good legal firm, and having been fired she’s decided to actually pay the retainer and pursue the case.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Boo, that firm. Yay, your friend.

What does her dad say now?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Her dad has been oddly quiet, but says that their ex-employer “has a right to protect themselves.” I swear that family must be bonkers. Glad she’s getting decent representation, at least, apparently her lawyers have been helping her document and plan even before the retainer (probably because they can smell that payout from a mile away).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

elise the great posted:

Her dad has been oddly quiet, but says that their ex-employer “has a right to protect themselves.”

"Sorry your co-worker threatened to rape and murder you, and then the company fired us both to cover it up. But you know, they have a right to protect themselves!"

Father of the year.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

"Sorry your co-worker threatened to rape and murder you, and then the company fired us both to cover it up. But you know, they have a right to protect themselves!"

Father of the year.

the corporate kool-aid hits everyone a little different. some people take a sip and pass while others gulp it down and ask for a 2nd cup with even more cyanide in it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

pentyne posted:

the corporate kool-aid hits everyone a little different. some people take a sip and pass while others gulp it down and ask for a 2nd cup with even more cyanide in it.

“Make it a good one!” *winks while blatantly dropping a fiver in the tip jar*

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

elise the great posted:

Her dad has been oddly quiet, but says that their ex-employer “has a right to protect themselves.” I swear that family must be bonkers. Glad she’s getting decent representation, at least, apparently her lawyers have been helping her document and plan even before the retainer (probably because they can smell that payout from a mile away).
I'm sorry, this case of Boomer-brain is unfortunately not likely to be terminal.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

elise the great posted:

I wonder how he feels about can openers?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So I thought Defense Attorneys were supposed to be like, always angling to say some poo poo didn't happen, or their client is not guilty, or whatever.

When your attorney does the following:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/sta...%5Es1_&ref_url=

What does the attorney do at that point?

What's the legal strategy or w/e it's called for a lawyer to admittedly and immediately claim all guilt?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

So I thought Defense Attorneys were supposed to be like, always angling to say some poo poo didn't happen, or their client is not guilty, or whatever.

What's the legal strategy or w/e it's called for a lawyer to admittedly and immediately claim all guilt?

Listen to what he's saying 'yeah there's a photo of him there in the building holding something he shouldn't'. He's saying the evidence is that the client has done a trespass and picked some stuff up, but is not in the same bucket as the guys who murdered a policeman or tried to rush the senate. Its damage limitation - the isn't is an idiot, not an insurrectionist.

That could well be the difference between a fine and probation, and some serious prison time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Listen to what he's saying 'yeah there's a photo of him there in the building holding something he shouldn't'.

He didn't even say that. He says that it appears to be........

Words mean stuff and they often mean different stuff when applied to legal documents and in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

Being a defense attorney doesn't necessarily mean you have to loudly proclaim your client's factual innocence. Sometimes, you're working from a position of trying to mitigate punishment/damages rather than remove them entirely. 90%+ of criminal cases in the U.S. end in a guilty plea.