Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

SalmanBashi posted:

So far it's been working well for us as we enter turn 4 of our campaign. Potential issue is because everyone runs enough forces for 3 battles at (currently) 1750 points, there can be a bit of overhead in the Admin part of the game. In return, players get to assemble their forces based on who they're fighting and what mission they're playing which I think is worth the trade. The objectives aren't hugely balanced, particularly the Quin one because they joined late. You could probably adapt this format for a crusadeless more competitive type game as well.

Yeah, originally I was going to do a bunch of unique faction mechanics (e.g. Space Marines can deep strike anywhere, chaos space marines can despoil permanent improvements to remove them etc) but basically I decided if it takes more than a page or two it's too complex.

Here's the rules I wrote:

quote:

The campaign is divided into campaign “Rounds”.
In each Round, each faction can attempt to: Advance or Deep Strike. Hexes can be targeted by Advance if they are adjacent to a hex already controlled by that faction. Any uncontrolled hex can be the target of a Deep Strike.
When all hexes have been claimed, or after 10 campaign rounds, the campaign ends, and the individual with the most Victory Points (VP) wins.
Victory Points are awarded thusly:
1 per hex
3 for the Hive Spire
3 for the Cathedral
5 points per enemy faction base that you control

The Hive Spire
Unique Hex located at the top most section of the Hive. It contains the ruling elite of the Hive and thus the rulers of the Hive and is a strategic location.
Due to the exposed nature of the Spire, it can always be targeted with a Deep Strike, even if occupied.

Occupied Hexes:
Can only be targeted by Advance (except the Hive Spire)
The occupier is considered the Defender for the mission, and gets to pick which mission to play. First turn is determined randomly.
If the attacker wins they take the Hex, if the defender wins, or it is a draw, it remains in the occupier's hands.

Faction Bases
Can only be targeted by Advance.
The faction owner gets to pick the mission, whether they are attacker or defender, and who gets first turn, regardless of who occupies the Hex.
The faction owner takes/reclaims the tile with a draw or a victory regardless of who occupies the Hex.

Unoccupied Hexes:
Can be targeted by Deep Strike or Advance
Roll randomly for Mission, Attacker/Defender, and First Turn
If the Advancing or Deep Striking faction wins, they capture the Hex. If not it remains unoccupied. In the case of a draw, the Advancing or Deep Striking faction claims the Hex.
Upon capture, the capturing side rolls on the resources table to determine what resources (if any) are found in the Hex.
All resources can only exist on the Hive map twice (with the exception of the Cathedral which is unique). If you roll for a resource and two of that resource already exist, you may pick any result except Hive Quake! and Cathedral that does not have two instances on the map.
Unless otherwise stated, the resources remain in the campaign for the rest of the game.

Here is the "loot table" when you get an unclaimed hex:

And here is the map:

The loot table is designed so that most of the time you get a one off bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Phobos librarian done to finish up 1000 points.

Crowded army shot

Edit: here's the current list i got going and how I kinda marked it as a halfway point to my 2k list, I don't have a dual claw wolf lord so the shield and hammer one is standing in just for milestone sake. My total painting target just uses 3 th/ss calv and eventually I want to get some TH with claws

https://pastebin.com/ZR0NSg8f

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 4, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I kind of doubt the 9th edition Necron book I ordered is ever coming so thank gently caress for the http://wahapedia.ru/ website. Not as immediately accessible as a book but man, fantastic resource that has all the info I need for poo poo.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Can anyone recommend some good plastic gas mask heads for converting Cadians to cultists?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

a pale ghost posted:

Can anyone recommend some good plastic gas mask heads for converting Cadians to cultists?

Not plastic, i don't think you will find plastic heads from any company, but Victoria Miniatures has you covered:

https://victoriaminiatures.com/collections/heads

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gas masks you say?
https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/filterSearch?q=gas%20masks
https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/filterSearch?q=gasmasks

https://bitsofwar.com/imperial-guard/30-chem-trooper-heads.html#idTab1

https://madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=gas+mask

Here's a couple of finds from what I have in my 3rd party producer bookmarks.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Kitchner posted:

The loot table is designed so that most of the time you get a one off bonus.

I was going to ask but you kinda answered here, are you trying to do a sort of growth over time concept? I had the notion that you'd start with a tiny 300 - 500 point army, and as you conquered territory you could "purchase" more units with points gained.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Snail Information posted:

I was going to ask but you kinda answered here, are you trying to do a sort of growth over time concept? I had the notion that you'd start with a tiny 300 - 500 point army, and as you conquered territory you could "purchase" more units with points gained.

Crusade sort of supports that anyway. The default is you start with 50PL/1000 points, and then you spend RP to increase your order of battle (your total army). Before each game you make an army from your order of battle, but since the armies have to be the same size, having a 2,000 point order of battle when everyone else has 1,000 gives you flexibility in options, but not army size.

My two new to the hobby friends and my partner all have 1,000 points or thereabouts. I don't want to tell them they have to buy more models, but for people like me and the other player we can widen our order of battle and still get to use our full collection against them even if they don't buy more models, and we can use 2,000 points against each other.

I don't think crusade is great to start at 2,000 points anyway as there's another layer of admin and rules to track. If you grow the army slowly then your first units stop levelling up so fast and there's less new stuff to learn

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 4, 2021

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Kitchner posted:

Crusade sort of supports that anyway. The default is you start with 50PL/1000 points, and then you spend RP to increase your order of battle (your total army). Before each game you make an army from your order of battle, but since the armies have to be the same size, having a 2,000 point order of battle when everyone else has 1,000 gives you flexibility in options, but not army size.

My two new to the hobby friends and my partner all have 1,000 points or thereabouts. I don't want to tell them they have to buy more models, but for people like me and the other player we can widen our order of battle and still get to use our full collection against them even if they don't buy more models, and we can use 2,000 points against each other.

I don't think crusade is great to start at 2,000 points anyway as there's another layer of admin and rules to track. If you grow the army slowly then your first units stop levelling up so fast and there's less new stuff to learn

I'm stealing your whole design and theory behind this and will never pay you a penny, muahahahahhaha!!

But seriously, that is a fairly simple but easily adaptable system you posted and will immensely helpful as a prepare to start developing my campaign.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spiv posted:

I'm stealing your whole design and theory behind this and will never pay you a penny, muahahahahhaha!!

But seriously, that is a fairly simple but easily adaptable system you posted and will immensely helpful as a prepare to start developing my campaign.

I'm glad it helped. To be fair it's largely based on the mechanic behind that 40K tile set they sold a while back (the 2D6 when you take a tile was from there) and a desire to keep things as simple as possible.

The only thing I ask is that if your campaign involves an inept planetary governor, that you name them after me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

a pale ghost posted:

I think the heads from Sicaraian Ruststalkers (an admech kit) would work well for that. Sort of skinny, inhuman looking WW1 gasmasks.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Caution about mad robot minis! I ordered some of their steel legion lookalikes (also gas mask related) and they are not quite the same scale as 40k. Looks like 28mm but not heroic so heads and limbs are smaller/skinnier than 40k humans, looks a little odd side by side.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've been thinking about putting together an Eldar army once I catch up with my painting backlog a little. I know they aren't good, but the 2nd Edition Eldar codex is what first attracted my to 40k in the first place, so I thought I'd finally put some together. Are they really still using a 7th ed. Codex? That's the latest one I can find.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Funzo posted:

I've been thinking about putting together an Eldar army once I catch up with my painting backlog a little. I know they aren't good, but the 2nd Edition Eldar codex is what first attracted my to 40k in the first place, so I thought I'd finally put some together. Are they really still using a 7th ed. Codex? That's the latest one I can find.

This is the latest one:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Codex-Craftworlds-hb-2017-eng

Looks like it was from 2017, which I think was 8th edition, but early in 8th edition.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kitchner posted:

This is the latest one:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Codex-Craftworlds-hb-2017-eng

Looks like it was from 2017, which I think was 8th edition, but early in 8th edition.

It's 8th. Given the vast rules changes from 7th to 8th, everyone got new rules with 8th, first in the Indexes, then a Codex. No rules that predate 8th are currently in use.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Looks like I was just looking at the wrong thing then. Thanks!

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

Funzo posted:

Wraiths are always cool. Join the legions of futuristic space elf necromancers

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Spiv posted:

Wraiths are always cool. Join the legions of futuristic space elf necromancers

I do like the look of Wraiths. The big draw originally was all the wildly colorful Aspect Warriors. 2nd Ed. had some pretty crazy paint jobs. Plus who could resist something called a Shuriken Catapult? That sounded cool as hell.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

Funzo posted:

I do like the look of Wraiths. The big draw originally was all the wildly colorful Aspect Warriors. 2nd Ed. had some pretty crazy paint jobs. Plus who could resist something called a Shuriken Catapult? That sounded cool as hell.

I love Eldar, they were what I got into in 3rd. I am sad they are in such a poor spot right now, but we'll get a new 'dex and it'll be fine. Wraiths were always my favourite, and I love the current wraith models.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/01/04/get-a-first-look-at-this-years-exclusive-store-anniversary-models/

I want that Necron

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

I actually want all the branded swag like the dice bag and the dice tray

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't another Space Marine.

Now release the older models on the webstore you cowards. :mad:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't another Space Marine.

Now release the older models on the webstore you cowards. :mad:

I wish they'd commit to on demand 3d printing of out of print models. So many old models I'd love to get now just to have.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'd pay a fair bit of money for a new 3d printed "Wizard with submachinegun"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Eediot Jedi posted:

I wish they'd commit to on demand 3d printing of out of print models. So many old models I'd love to get now just to have.

There'd be a 2yr queue behind all the slave girl requests.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

PinheadSlim posted:

I'd pay a fair bit of money for a new 3d printed "Wizard with submachinegun"

Same but warhammer quest 1995, with submachine guns all round.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There'd be a 2yr queue behind all the slave girl requests.

Buy more slave girl printers!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

I was going to argue that print on demand has to be in the future. But the volume of requests for (slave girl and nazi) models might make it difficult to pull off.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

God drat I remember those slave girls. I started playing in 2003 and they were everywhere, every weird grog had bought a couple to put on his chaos lord’s base or whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

My kingdom for those Assault on Black Reach Deffkoptas.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I can understand them doing limited runs for metal minis because the moulds break, but why the hell are they still doing limited run plastic minis?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

tomdidiot posted:

I can understand them doing limited runs for metal minis because the moulds break, but why the hell are they still doing limited run plastic minis?

Manufactured scarcity and a limited purchasing window to drive fear of missing out.

Not the most consumer friendly strategy; it must increase sales though or they would do something else.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

tomdidiot posted:

Manufacturing capacity isn't unlimited.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Also do you on demand print the boxes and instructions they get packaged with. And then you have economies of scale to consider. Now what they could do I suppose is create an order system that shows you how many requests have been paid for and when Model X reaches 2000 orders they run a batch and mail them out.

But they are busy doing whatever they want so probably won't happen ever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd be perfectly fine with on-demand stuff coming in a nondescript cardboard box with a QR code stamped onto it that links to the assembly instructions as a PDF honestly :shrug:

Hell, they should just link the instructions on any given product page period. Sometimes you maybe spill agrax earthshade all over your desk, y'know.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I think in addition to whatever strategies they have, I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that popularity has really caught them by surprise, and the new facilities they wanted to arrange for more production like, completely didn’t work for some reason.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Captain Magic posted:

I think in addition to whatever strategies they have, I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that popularity has really caught them by surprise, and the new facilities they wanted to arrange for more production like, completely didn’t work for some reason.

They had to work with the Nottingham city govt to upgrade the electrical infrastructure. Plus, you know, covid.

Also, molds for plastics do eventually wear out, particularly the ones they do in aluminum rather than steel for products that get smaller runs.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

It is the grimdark year 40,000 and humanity's home planet Terra is now entirely covered in immense factories cranking out plastic figurines to meet the demands of a sector hungry for blood, war and contrast paint.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

My local store has tons of old unmarked GW boxes with the unit name in sharpie written on them because of direct order, it’s very much a thing. Also most limited edition models don’t need instructions.

It’s very much a matter of manufacturing capacity/scheduling, keeping production in-house really limits GW’s ability to respond to demand.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

tomdidiot posted:

The limited run plastic mini molds are made from aluminum rather than stainless steel, which is way cheaper to machine but not as durable, so the production costs are lower but they can't sell them forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Sab669 posted:

My kingdom for those Assault on Black Reach Deffkoptas.

I've got 3 primed/unassembled that I'd post if they'd get painted. I'm in Australia though so postage time could be interesting.

Ropes4u posted:

I was going to argue that print on demand has to be in the future. But the volume of requests for (slave girl and nazi) models might make it difficult to pull off.

I hope there's something in the works. Surely GW has a couple of interns making 3d scans of every model they can find, waiting for industrial scale 3d printing to mature. :pray: