Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bewilderment posted:

The most important rule of playing Shadowrun is mostly that the actual Shadowrun system sucks for playing Shadowrun. There's very good reasons these games don't use it!

Also endless intricate planning sessions are game poison. The nights dark agents preparation stat is the way to go, where you have x number of slots for you to go "of course, I anticipated this new development" and pull out a suitable tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i enjoy them but everyone has to be into it and then it has to go wrong moderately but not totally, which is p hard to gm

its like in heist movies where a plan that works you cant tell the audience but a plan that will fail you can tell the audience. boring otherwise

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Also endless intricate planning sessions are game poison. The nights dark agents preparation stat is the way to go, where you have x number of slots for you to go "of course, I anticipated this new development" and pull out a suitable tool.

Hard disagree, my shadowrun group loves intricate planning almost more than actual execution.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, the question is on how much the GM actually prepared the run.

If they prepared whole building layouts with floorplans and specific defenses... that's a lot of work! It's literally level design! So not only is that not only for everyone, but there's always the chance your players thought of some certain thing to do that bypasses your hours of hard work.

On the extreme other end you have a GM who's quick enough to improvise anything... in which case having a big 'intricate planning' scene between all the PCs is essentially just character work and fluff. Which some players appreciate and some don't if they think all their plans are pointless and don't matter.

The natural happy medium is having a couple of set expected challenge with some ideas for improv if things go wrong, but it's a very difficult balance to strike as a GM.

Hence why games with 'flashback' or 'preparation' stats like Night's Black Agents or Blades in the Dark are popular recently, as giving the players the ability to improvise back with "uhh yeah I totally planned for this and so I learned the frequency to disable the alarm earlier" helps with the back-and-forth.

And all this without getting into the actual rules of Shadowrun, just the playstyle.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 3, 2021

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 04 - Between Nothing and Nowhere

So, what the hell is going on exactly? We only just arrived in town, and unless the police chief's favorite nephew happened to be moonlighting as a smuggler, there is no reason we can think of for the drat Hong Kong Police Force to be after us at all, let alone in enough force to repel a foreign invasion.

And poo poo, we were probably the luckiest one here too. We managed to get away with everything important to us still intact, namely our braincase and our brother, but they just straight-up terminated Duncan's partner and two of those shadowrunners. All three complete strangers to us, but...

What were their names?

[She inhales a cleansing breath.] Nightjar was a good guy. Always had our backs - Is0bel's and mine.

[Is0bel nods in agreement. Her voice is flat.]

Rare to find a runner that you can actually trust.

[She looks to her friend.]

Are we clear?

[Gobbet looks back the way you came.]

I think we've shaken them.

[She sniffs the air.]

Yeah. We're clear.

We noticed.

There's a Lone Star sergeant dead back there, drat it. She was--

I don't know what the hell's going on with the Hong Kong cops, but I'm calling in some Lone Star backup from home. I'm gonna get some of my *own* people down here. Then we’re gonna find Raymond and figure out what the *hell's* going on.

This is all especially rotten for Duncan. The ex-street rat with no future finally manages to build himself something that could last, but now someone's taking a sledgehammer to the support beams seemingly for no reason and it's all on the verge of collapse again.

[The little ork shrugs.] Whatever you say, big guy. You have fun with that.

[She looks over at her friend. They both nod.]

Izz and I are out of here. Best of luck finding your friend.

Best of luck? That's it?

[Her brow furrows.] That's right. What did you expect? We form some sort of posse like in your old cowboy vids? Ride out to find the killers and see justice done? We got you to safety, and now we are *done* with this poo poo. We don't intend to die for you.

[He looks up at you.]

My law enforcement status has been revoked.

[He goes back to the screen.]

I don't believe it. This is saying there's an APB out on us, Shin. You and me both.

I figured as much. You heard them on the loudspeaker. They knew our names.

Why is it always those who have almost nothing that have to give up what little they do have? Alright fine, but at the very least we're not going to give up the satisfaction from getting to break something tech-y.

[Smash it yourself.] We bury our own.

[You crush the PDA to shards under your foot while Is0bel looks on blankly.]

Good.

[She looks over at Gobbet, sighs, then reaches into her jacket pocket, pulling out two new PDAs. She hands them to you and Duncan.]

Burners. I suppose it's the least we could do. After your help back there.

Thanks. You people always keep a supply of burners in your pocket?

We could also ask if she has any snacks in there, though that doesn't get an answer.

Runners need to be prepared for contingencies. Isn't that right, Izz?

Oh now what? They firing cop missiles at us? Alligator cops converging on our position through the sewer pipes as we speak? What is it this time?

Gobbet, we gotta go. Right now.

[Is0bel's voice is monotone but emphatic. She holds up her PDA to show her friend.]

They're after us, too.

Members of a what? You've gotta be kidding, if this is all a bad dream then we're gonna have some scathing feedback for the nonsense our brain has conjured up for tonight.

Our sources report that Seattle natives Duncan Wu and Shin Black, along with their Hong Kong-based accomplices, are still at large. They are well armed and should be considered extremely dangerous.

[The color drains out of Gobbet's face.]

Oh, poo poo.

[She looks directly into the camera.]

If you should see one or more of these individuals, do *not* attempt to engage them. Instead, tap in the HKPF flash code at the bottom of the screen. If you are on an authorized network and take a picture, our system will automatically identify them in your datastream...

I thought we were hosed before.

[Wu's voice is eerily calm.]

But now we are well and truly hosed.

Times of crisis really bring out Duncan Wu's inner philosopher.

Doesn't look good, does it?

[His mouth tightens.]

Not. At. All.

[Is0bel nudges the remains of Wu's PDA with her booted toe.]

And the two of us will be hunted down right alongside you.

[Gobbet wide-eyes the exits, tight as a spring. You can hear shallow panting as she leans towards one, then the other.]

We gotta go deep. Hit the mainland for a while until we can figure this out. Find a hole to crawl into.

[Gobbet looks at Is0bel, wipes her mouth, and points at you and Duncan.]

We've gotta get *them* off the grid, too. Way off.

[The dwarf looks up at Duncan, and her large eyes narrow.]

Hey. Lone Star. You've got a security license, right? That means that you've got a SIN, too.

[His brow furrows.] Of course I have a SIN. I wouldn't be able to get paid otherwise. Only criminals and lowlifes go SINless.

[She runs her hands along her cyberdeck, thinking.]

That means that you can be traced. Both of you. You get spotted by a drone or a security camera, get ID'd by a retinal scanner, or try to use your credstick or passport, and the HKPF will know *just* where to find you.

[Wu crosses his arms across his chest.]

I know how a System Identification Number works, runner.

With the Shadowrunner etiquette we could jump right to the conclusion Is0bel is clearly heading towards, but all that'd do is skip dialogue anyway.

So we're stuck in this country. No money, no passport, nothing.

[Gobbet pulls at her dreadlocks.] We're just as screwed as you are. Me and Izz, we were listed as your accomplices. And we can't afford for you to get caught. You'll lead 'em to us, one way or another. DNA samples, things we've told you, astral residue, I don't know... cop stuff.

All of them? Whoa, wait a minute. You want us to just erase *our identities?*

[Wu rubs a hand across his scalp.]

Beyond the fact that it's insane, will that even *work?* If we burn our SINs, go off the grid like that, won't they just redouble their efforts to find us?

[Condescension seeps its way into Is0bel's dry tone.]

Imagine playing a game of hide-and-seek with a siren strapped to your head. Would you rather try and hide with the siren, or with the siren conspicuously absent?

This is bullshit. I'm gonna find a way to smuggle myself back to Seattle.

[Wu gives you his "don't be an idiot" voice.]

With what resources? We don't know anybody in this country, Shin. We have no network here.

[His baritone growl gets low and intense.]

You saw what they did to those runners. To Carter. You'll be dead before you can take two steps.

Yeah, yeah. Just let us have our moment of pretending like we still have some control over something, alright?

So what's the alternative? Deleting our identities across the entire Matrix sounds hard.

[The little decker nods knowingly.] It's very difficult. I can't do it. Some people can… organizations… expert systems.

Now there's a moniker so obviously ironic that we don't need to know a single thing about this person to already draw some conclusions about them.

Let me guess. This Kindly Cheng is some sort of underworld hard-rear end.

Like a walnut.

Alternatively:

quote:

Sounds like a restaurant.

Yeah, well, she's not. And don't let her hear you say something like that, or you'll be searching for your tongue on the floor.

She's what's known as a Straw Sandal - kind of a middle manager for the Yellow Lotus syndicate. They're triad. Kindly Cheng controls all the illegal activity in our neighborhood - smuggling, bootlegging, counterfeiting.

Middle manager? Is the Yellow Lotus a syndicate or a retail outlet?

[Gobbet leans in, serious as death.]

Do not get the wrong impression. Kindly Cheng is no bureaucrat. She controls a good-sized portion of Kowloon's underworld. She has soldiers. Resources. She's smart. And she is *not* to be underestimated.

[Is0bel's voice is hollow and flat.] Taking favors from a woman like Kindly Cheng is a good way to get yourself into indentured servitude. You don't want to owe favors to a woman like that.

[Her eyes get big. Round.]

Ideally, you don't want to deal with her at all. That was Nightjar's job.

Nightjar's job? You mean you work with her?

What did we just tell you? She's got her fingers in everything, including brokering shadowruns for the corps. Kindly Cheng is our Fixer.

Well, guess we have a plan, the kind you come up with when stuck in a runaway train about to crash and you try to figure out how to jump off in a way that only gets your legs smashed. But you gotta choose from the options you have available, and our selection isn't much to look at right now. So much for a taste of freedom...

As we arrive in the Heoi underground, we find an extra 5 Karma in our pocket.

Heoi is well known as a protected area. Kindly Cheng sees to that. It's a shadow community - smugglers, hijackers, black marketeers - you get the idea. Cops tend to give the place a wide berth.

[Is0bel gives a shallow nod. Her gaze remains planted on the floor.]

Police cameras don't last long here. Between the smog and the cloud cover, we shouldn't have to worry about drone surveillance, either. The HKPF won't find you. Not if you follow our lead.

An invitation? How do we get that?

[The rat shaman smirks.]

We'll kiss her rear end until it shines.

[Is0bel sighs.] That's about the size of it.

[Gobbet holds up a hand.]

One more thing. Kindly Cheng is a dangerous woman. She may seem friendly, but don't let your guard drop. And whatever you do, do *not* disrespect her.

I've dealt with dangerous people all my life. I know how to behave myself.

You'd better. If you don't, it's all of our asses.

Alternatively:

quote:

I'll act however I drat well please.

Yeah? Then don't be surprised if you wind up chained to a rock at the bottom of Hung Hom Bay. That goes for everyone here, by the way. Either of you mouths off, and Auntie Cheng will make all of us pay for it.

[Duncan gives you a sidelong glance. Growls out an answer.]

She'll behave herself. Won't you, Shin?

Yes, Dad.

Okay. We'll go on ahead and smooth the way. Just give us a few minutes' head start.

If this place is protected, why shouldn't we talk to anybody?

[She rolls her eyes and lets out a little grunt.]

I said the *place* was protected. Not *you're* protected.

No one knows you here. And outsiders aren't welcome in Heoi.

[Gobbet eyes Wu up and down.]

Plus, your friend here radiates cop. Cops are even less welcome than outsiders.

[Then she looks your way.]

And you - you're not exactly ordinary either, are you?

I like to think I have a certain flair.

Ordinary people tend to be the products of ordinary lives, something the world has never seemed too keen on giving us a chance to experience. And if today's events are anything to go by, that particular policy remains firmly in place.

[She smiles for the first time.] Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. If people see us strolling through town together with no prior explanation, we might not make it to the mahjong parlor at all.

I get it.

See you at the mahjong parlor.

Sure thing, just watch out for sudden bursts of wind and dragons over there, heh.

What the hell are we *doing* here? How did we get *into* this?

[He drops his hands and turns to you, shaking his head in disbelief.]

I think I'm gonna lose it.

Go ahead. We're alone.

[He puts a hand to his forehead.]

I don't know what I'm gonna do now.

Sounds like she was more than just your partner.

[He turns to you with a blank face.]

More than just a partner? Of course she was -

[Then he gets it and his hackles raise.]

She was my training officer, you idiot. My mentor.

I didn't mean anything by it, it just looked like you two were close.

When you're out there on the streets facing down a food riot, you need to *know* someone's looking out for you. That you're standing next to someone you can depend on. That was Carter.

[His shoulders slump and he exhales heavily.]

And she was like my compass. Or my anchor. Or some such poo poo. She kept me... I don't know. Sane.

You're sane, Duncan. This is shock and grief.

Yeah... yeah, I suppose so.

[He steps back, sucking in a deep breath.]

Screw it. Whatever she was, I'm throwing her down the memory hole. You know why?

[He snarls. Spits.]

Because it doesn't matter now.

[He counts it off on his fingers.]

Raymond, the house we grew up in, my career... Carter. All gone. No home. No money. No identity. Nothing.

[He waves his hand, brushes it all away.]

We will be nobody.

We were street kids, Duncan. We're used to being nobody. Just chill.

NEW MUSIC:

(Very slow and moody, a good example of a different style of soundtrack from the previous two games. Good rainymood material, makes me think of Max Payne.)

Aw, it's baby Duncan. Cute as a button.

Yeah, I know how he is. Inflexible.

Exactly. We're breaking one of his rules just being *outside the house* after curfew.

I got something to attend to, Duncan. And it can't wait.

That's what you keep saying - but you still won't tell me what's going on!

There's a variety of reasons we can give here, all of them true, basically establishing the rough circumstances of our disappearance. As was decided by the thread...

[Truth.] I've got a friend in a bind, Duncan. That's all I can say about it. I *have* to go help.

[His eyes widen.] I thought I knew all your friends.

[He shakes his head.]

I don't like this, Shin. It sounds like... it sounds like the kind of poo poo we said we'd leave behind. Look. Whatever's going on, I can tell you one thing - Raymond will *not* approve.

I'll deal with that when I get back. I won't be gone long. Two, three days tops.

Our buddy Sam is a bit of an oddball, sure, but he's never seemed the type to get his friends into trouble or anything. We'll just quickly go give him a hand and be back by the weekend.

Oh, sorry about that. You know how flashbacks are, can never know when they choose to come and go.

Now let's hear it. Where the hell have you been all this time? Why didn't you contact me? At least to tell me you were alive.

You're pissed that I didn't contact you? I was locked up, Duncan. For years! You're a cop, why didn't you go looking for me?

You think I *didn't?* I tried everything. You were completely off the grid!

[The information finally sinks in, and he dials back the attitude.]

...And now I understand why. Locked up, huh? poo poo. I... I had no idea.

Wow. I really don't know how to process that one right now. I...

[He shakes his head.]

I don't know. If we're still alive tomorrow, we can talk more. This poo poo is too much.

Listen, Shin. Back in the Barrens. Whenever I was out of control, you just *handled* the situation. Remember? With Carter gone... I'm just a raw nerve. I'm afraid I'm gonna slip back... and people are gonna start getting hurt again.

Get the feeling there's going to be a lot of that happening soon either way. But yeah, we'll work our way through this thing together. Like in the old times.

I got your back, Duncan.

[He stares at you hard, like he's trying to see something inside your head. His voice comes out flat.]

We'll see. Just don't press it. I need time to get used to... you.

Yeah, nothing to it now but to find the mahjong parlor and hope this triad walnut has had a better day than we have seeing as our lives are now quite literally in her hands.

If we ever do find Raymond, he'd better at least appreciate the irony of his invitation leading us right back into the same kind of ditch he once fished us out from.

Alternate conversation with Duncan preceding the flashback:

I don't know what I'm gonna do now.

What are you talking about? You crawled out of worse places before you met her.

[He allows his head to loll to the side. Whispers.]

Maybe. But that was a long time ago.

[He sighs.]

And I had Raymond then.

I get it.

[That triggers him.] The hell you do. You only saw the beginning - the old man taking us in, handing me my rear end until I straightened out. You saw me straighten out, but I only started to fly right after you left. Raymond's the one who helped me get into the academy. Sat on me until I did my homework, checked on every assignment. Every. Single. Assignment.

[His breathing becomes ragged. He mumbles.]

And he didn't care that I was a goddamn ork.

[Both hands on his face now. He's completely covered.]

Raymond. The house. The academy. Carter. I'm throwing it all down the memory hole and burying it deep. You know why? Because it doesn't matter now.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 4, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

This is all especially rotten for Duncan. The ex-street rat with no future finally manages to build himself something that could last, but now someone's taking a sledgehammer to the support beams seemingly for no reason and it's all on the verge of collapse again.

Duncan's backstory and character are pretty nicely done but at the same time, it kind of dooms him to be the most boring party member by default. He's the guy who managed to claw himself via both luck and self-determination from the streets and manage to be a "respectable" part of the system only to be cruelly thrown out through no fault of his own... and yet the thing he wants most is to become part of that system again. Despite being in a setting that's all about fighting against the system, despite knowing you cannot win. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely realistic (hell, if I was in the same situation, I'd probably act the same way) but it essentially makes him the equivalent of the one kid in those cartoons featuring a bunch of kids trapped in a fantasy world (i.e. the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon) that is always whining about going home. You feel for him but at some point, you'd wish he'd shut up in favor of the other kids who are embracing having magical powers or whatever much better.

Heck, it would probably have been a better decision if he wasn't a part member and just hung out on base. He could be the one to comment on all your missions and you would have this entire parallel relationship with him along your crew to make the duality all the more meaningful.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 4, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Part 04 - Between Nothing and Nowhere

[Turth.] I've got a friend in a bind, Duncan. That's all I can say about it. I *have* to go help.

Got a typo here.

This will probably change as the game goes on, but my first impression of Duncan is that he complains a bit too much for someone that used to live in the streets. Having said that, I never got my support structure demolished like that, and now to survive he will have to be on the other side of the KE stick, so to speak, so it's understandable he is freaking the heck out.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I lost my grandma recently and it was not unexpected but hard, if I suddenly lost both my best(only) friend and companion *and* my entire identity I think that I'd be an inconsolable sobbing wreck.
Duncan is taking this in stride, and it's not really spoiler to say that he is ready for action on the next (first mission)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Duncan is a Lone Star cop and being ready to hurt people at all times is a job requirement.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

wiegieman posted:

Duncan is a Lone Star cop and being ready to hurt people at all times is a job requirement.

Hurting people to relieve existential anguish is also a tried and true cop coping technique. I think they teach it at the academy.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

AceOfFlames posted:

Duncan's backstory and character are pretty nicely done but at the same time, it kind of dooms him to be the most boring party member by default. He's the guy who managed to claw himself via both luck and self-determination from the streets and manage to be a "respectable" part of the system only to be cruelly thrown out through no fault of his own... and yet the thing he wants most is to become part of that system again. Despite being in a setting that's all about fighting against the system, despite knowing you cannot win. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely realistic (hell, if I was in the same situation, I'd probably act the same way) but it essentially makes him the equivalent of the one kid in those cartoons featuring a bunch of kids trapped in a fantasy world (i.e. the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon) that is always whining about going home. You feel for him but at some point, you'd wish he'd shut up in favor of the other kids who are embracing having magical powers or whatever much better.

Heck, it would probably have been a better decision if he wasn't a part member and just hung out on base. He could be the one to comment on all your missions and you would have this entire parallel relationship with him along your crew to make the duality all the more meaningful.

Add to that the backstory that makes him start out with a festering, barely suppressed resentment towards the PC. As you said it's well written and believable, but it makes him a wet blanket. Additionally, since characters don't comment on runs that you don't bring them on, if you don't use him there is that much less development.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
That moody music track is great and really sets the mood for the whole game. Both the Dragonfall and Hong Kong soundtracks fit their respective games perfectly.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I know why it wasn't feasible to do "right", but it suddenly strikes me (after god knows how many runs of this game) how weird that flashback scene is between baby-faced Duncan and same-face You. I suppose it's only really jarring in this format, when you have time to reflect on what you're seeing & aren't sucked into the game and its atmosphere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
makes sense if youre not orc yourself, orcs age a lot faster

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

wiegieman posted:

He's afraid of hurting people who matter.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I dont know posted:

Additionally, since characters don't comment on runs that you don't bring them on, if you don't use him there is that much less development.

As anyone who's been around for these LPs in the past can probably figure, here everyone'll be given the chance to provide their takes on all missions whether they were present or not.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I like that Duncan isn't happy about this. He's someone who's forced into shadowrunning due to events completely out of his control. Everything he's done in his life moves away from stuff like this, and now he's got to do this to survive, and he doesn't like it, and would immediately and happily take an out if he could. It's a different look than the other characters, so I thought he was pretty interesting.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

One thing I like, not just about duncan but this entire meet the team segment:

You meet the team and they're all liabilities and on the verge of complete, neurotic breakdown. Duncan is on the verge of getting violent, gobbet looks ready to bolt and is0bel is relatively deer in the headlights about getting included on the APB action. The only one that really recovers in some capacity is is0bel. This is not a happy family sort of team like the last one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You don't become a Runner if there isn't something broken about you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
which we will see in gobs and spades throughout lol

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Space Kablooey posted:

This will probably change as the game goes on, but my first impression of Duncan is that he complains a bit too much for someone that used to live in the streets. Having said that, I never got my support structure demolished like that, and now to survive he will have to be on the other side of the KE stick, so to speak, so it's understandable he is freaking the heck out.

It’s not just losing his support structure, but the fact that for Duncan, being a Barrens kid was the equivalent of hell incarnate, and he felt like he had finally gotten out of it.

Yes, he used to live on the streets, but he was so desperate to get away from them, so enamored with the idea that a corporate wage slave or rent-a-cop was “the good life”, that it feels like any return to former ways is like the relapsing of an addiction.

So, like. Yeah he bitches a lot but it’s entirely understandable especially considering this is all like, an hour fresh.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

FoolyCharged posted:

One thing I like, not just about duncan but this entire meet the team segment:

You meet the team and they're all liabilities and on the verge of complete, neurotic breakdown. Duncan is on the verge of getting violent, gobbet looks ready to bolt and is0bel is relatively deer in the headlights about getting included on the APB action. The only one that really recovers in some capacity is is0bel. This is not a happy family sort of team like the last one.

I mean, you go in expecting a milk run (I know, I know, no such thing) and you get a one-two punch of getting half your team domed in seconds then the government branding you as kill-on-sight public enemy #1,2,3 and 4... it's going to rattle just about anyone. Even a veteran runner would be phased by the volume and odour of that pile of poo poo dumped on their head without warning.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, you go in expecting a milk run (I know, I know, no such thing) and you get a one-two punch of getting half your team domed in seconds then the government branding you as kill-on-sight public enemy #1,2,3 and 4... it's going to rattle just about anyone. Even a veteran runner would be phased by the volume and odour of that pile of poo poo dumped on their head without warning.

They had no reason to think this two-bit escort gig was going to be this big of a trap, yeah.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

KataraniSword posted:

It’s not just losing his support structure, but the fact that for Duncan, being a Barrens kid was the equivalent of hell incarnate, and he felt like he had finally gotten out of it.

Yes, he used to live on the streets, but he was so desperate to get away from them, so enamored with the idea that a corporate wage slave or rent-a-cop was “the good life”, that it feels like any return to former ways is like the relapsing of an addiction.

So, like. Yeah he bitches a lot but it’s entirely understandable especially considering this is all like, an hour fresh.

Duncan is basically where I imagine Eiger was five years before we meet her in Dragonfall.

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, nobody becomes a runner because things went right.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I imagine that every once in a while some well off failson tries to get in for the action, probably leaving the 6th world within the first hour or so.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Lone Badger posted:

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah, nobody becomes a runner because things went right.
No, there's plenty of people who willingly and deliberately get into the life. They think it's cool, the flash and the glam, the guys standing against the corporations and flipping off the whole world just because they can.

Most of those end up dead. The few that don't are the ones that wise the gently caress up and get out quick.

You don't stay a Runner if there isn't something broken about you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And if you somehow manage to enter the shadows without any mental issues, some will be provided for you within the first year or so.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Stroth posted:

You don't stay a Runner if there isn't something broken about you.

Hey, sometimes you stay because of ideals and principles !

So because there's something broken about you, FINE.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I always assumed you stayed to build an increasingly elaborate web of contacts and favours to protect you from the increasingly elaborate web of enemies and warrants you created by running.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You stay because it's the only job open to you where you can get 3 months wages for an afternoon of of effort.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

tarbrush posted:

I always assumed you stayed to build an increasingly elaborate web of contacts and favours to protect you from the increasingly elaborate web of enemies and warrants you created by running.

No, that's how you become a Fixer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

paragon1 posted:

You stay because it's the only job open to you where you can get 3 months wages for an afternoon of of effort.

And that's just for beginners, highly skilled veterans can live like rockstars for long periods of time.
which probably serves to encourage a circle of danger seeking lifestyle. kinda like Caribbean privateers going all pirate all the time.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

KataraniSword posted:

No, that's how you become a Fixer.

Yeah. Runners tend to be the ones asking for the favours, not holding a whole portfolio of them. Like our poor bastards in-game right now.

The warrants and enemies, though, yeah runners get those. Also as evidenced by our poor bastards in-game right now.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I like how the team assembled here is very, very different from the one in Berlin (I can't even remember the crew in Seattle, aside from Coyote).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Negative_Earth posted:

I like how the team assembled here is very, very different from the one in Berlin (I can't even remember the crew in Seattle, aside from Coyote).

There wasn't one. You just hired dudes on for each mission. You got coyote as a free hire a couple of times and that was pretty much it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and the other one whose name i cant remember and im not gonna bother remembering

and the fuckin knight of the tower lol

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

By popular demand posted:

I imagine that every once in a while some well off failson tries to get in for the action, probably leaving the 6th world within the first hour or so.

This was pretty much the background for "The Rookie" in Eiger's story. One gormless dumbass in over their head can bring a whole lot of poo poo down on the people around them.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

By popular demand posted:

I dont know posted:

This was pretty much the background for "The Rookie" in Eiger's story. One gormless dumbass in over their head can bring a whole lot of poo poo down on the people around them.
Yeah, but that was in an army unit where there's all sorts of politics and bureaucracy that keeps you from straight up dumping his rear end.

I feel like an actual shadowrunning crew would identify this sort of idiot wannabe in about 90 seconds, then deal with the situation before he becomes a liability.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah, but that was in an army unit where there's all sorts of politics and bureaucracy that keeps you from straight up dumping his rear end.

I feel like an actual shadowrunning crew would identify this sort of idiot wannabe in about 90 seconds, then deal with the situation before he becomes a liability.

Unless they're Connected enough that having them die anywhere in your general vicinity would result in a Large Pile Of poo poo, so you have to try and shepherd them along and keep them safe and entertained until you find some other sucker to palm them off to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

and the other one whose name i cant remember and im not gonna bother remembering
Paco?