Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ballz posted:

For anyone wondering who the hell she’s talking about :

https://twitter.com/lpdonovan/status/1345399674103074818?s=21
Hrm, is that baaaaad for Warnock? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
“Pick out random-rear end donors who are bad PR and talk about them” seems like a Hail Mary type play to me.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
There was a thing in March where Warnock's soon-to-be-ex-wife called the cops on him and claimed he'd run over her foot, which Hannity dug up a week or two back.

(The medical assistants at the scene saw no sign of injury on her foot.)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Don't get hopeful

https://twitter.com/atlas_intel/status/1345802466663796738

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/1345794757696565248?s=20

Trump is meddling in Georgia.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Also relevant in that story, he threatens to turn on Loeffler and Purdue if Raffensburger doesn't throw the election.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Current consensus, even among conservative commentators, is that this is not good for the Rs in the runoff.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

That +4.2 percentage is in the wrong place, right?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Alctel posted:

That +4.2 percentage is in the wrong place, right?

Yeah. https://twitter.com/atlas_intel/status/1345811365877972993

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drat it I told myself I wasn't going to hope

t:mad:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VitalSigns posted:

drat it I told myself I wasn't going to hope

t:mad:

This made me happier than it should have

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don’t trust polls anymore. After missing the mark in 2016, and then claiming they learned their lesson and missing 2020 by even more, polling has proven itself to be a useless endeavor.

Georgia is a red state, and I will expect it to vote like one until we see more evidence than going blue once, in the middle of a pandemic.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

I don’t trust polls anymore. After missing the mark in 2016, and then claiming they learned their lesson and missing 2020 by even more, polling has proven itself to be a useless endeavor.

Georgia is a red state, and I will expect it to vote like one until we see more evidence than going blue once, in the middle of a pandemic.

Aggregated the polls weren't better. Georgia, however, was one of the most accurate states for polling in the November election, including for the senate races that happened.

Granted that doesn't necessarily play well with special elections.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TyrantWD posted:

Wasn't 2018 fairly accurate? I think it's probably a Trump thing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sax Mortar posted:

Aggregated the polls weren't better. Georgia, however, was one of the most accurate states for polling in the November election, including for the senate races that happened.

Granted that doesn't necessarily play well with special elections.

I don't think anyone could have predicted "Actually Trump will activate large amounts of immigrant voters due to Qanon spreading uncontrolled into ESL groups completely unmoderated" and "Trump will actually GAIN votes from New Agey leaning people because of COVID conspiracies" and "Trump will be voted for the most in areas hit HARDEST by COVID"

Our electorate is honestly loving bonkers, and I don't envy anyone trying to gather data from it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't think anyone could have predicted "Actually Trump will activate large amounts of immigrant voters due to Qanon spreading uncontrolled into ESL groups completely unmoderated" and "Trump will actually GAIN votes from New Agey leaning people because of COVID conspiracies" and "Trump will be voted for the most in areas hit HARDEST by COVID"

Our electorate is honestly loving bonkers, and I don't envy anyone trying to gather data from it

If you knew my uncle and his wife then none of these predictions would’ve come as such a shock, because they’re in the Venn diagram overlap point for all three of these groups and they are ride-or-die Q

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 4, 2021

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

TyrantWD posted:

You hit the nail on the head. While I donated and hoped for two blue wins I fully expect this to go to both of the repubs.

My favorite part of the trump call is:

transcript of call posted:

Trump: How may people do that? They moved out, and then they said, “Ah, to hell with it, I’ll move back.” You know, it doesn’t sound like a very normal . . . you mean, they moved out, and what, they missed it so much that they wanted to move back in? It’s crazy.
Germany: They moved back in years ago. This was not like something just before the election. So there’s something about that data that, it’s just not accurate.

Who would want to live in Georgia?! It's Crazy! I love how he cannot fathom anyone who got out wanting to go back.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Good news: we're still in the middle of a pandemic, much worse now than on November 3rd.

Bad news: we're still in the middle of a pandemic.

Good news: Republicans have been trailing badly in early and mail voting and may not be as likely to brave the pandemic tomorrow in enough numbers to make up for it.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Walking the dog, saw a fetus banner behind a plane. "Vote anti abortion."

Get out the vote I guess.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

booseek posted:

Republicans may not be as likely to brave the pandemic tomorrow in enough numbers to make up for it.

I dunno. They seem to show up on voting day. It was a nail biter in Georgia for how many days?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think the weather will matter more than the pandemic.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Coredump posted:

I dunno. They seem to show up on voting day. It was a nail biter in Georgia for how many days?

I think the question is not whether they show up in general but whether any are deterred because of it. The pandemic is much worse now than early November. There must be some reliable Republicans who just say "gently caress it, I'm staying home" on election day. If you didn't get your votes in already and are banking on election day turnout, you are in a worse position than the opposing party.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Tomorrow is going to be crazy. Do polls close basically at around 9 pm?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tomorrow is going to be crazy. Do polls close basically at around 9 pm?

7pm local time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Right, although if people are still in line, they have the right to vote.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

booseek posted:

I think the question is not whether they show up in general but whether any are deterred because of it. The pandemic is much worse now than early November. There must be some reliable Republicans who just say "gently caress it, I'm staying home" on election day. If you didn't get your votes in already and are banking on election day turnout, you are in a worse position than the opposing party.

republicans do not ever believe it is even possible that they will get sick from COVID until they get sick from COVID. This is a political belief at this point and is a big part of why we are even in this mess as well as why the areas hit hardest by COVID had the biggest pro-trump deviation from the polls in November.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can't believe the meat grinding death virus would grind my meat

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Coredump posted:

The question is whether enough more Republicans will show up on election day to make up for doing worse in early voting - which they certainly could, but I'd rather not be on the side that needs that to happen to win.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Will we know the winners tomorrow or will we have to wait for the mail-in trickle like what happened with the presidential election?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

That's a tough one, because the polls are meant to be descriptive of the electorate. If Qanon poo poo was seeping and the polls didn't pick up on it, then that's an indictment of the polls irrespective of how outlandish the source of that contamination is.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

College Rockout posted:

Will we know the winners tomorrow or will we have to wait for the mail-in trickle like what happened with the presidential election?

My understanding is that somewhere north of 80% of votes should be counted by the wee hours of Wednesday morning, with the rest trickling in over the next few days. By then we should have a decent idea of the breakdown in turnout, geographic location, and partisan balance between early and day-of votes. A real nail-biter is possible, and someone following along in real time looking for a reason to despair will be sure to find plenty of them, but we should know the results late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

College Rockout posted:

Georgia counts mail ballots in advance, so there should be an apparent winner at least by Wednesday unless it's very close (but that doesn't rule out something like Pennsylvania, where Biden had clearly won as of November 4 but the media waited to call the outcome). It could still take a while if the runoff is as close as the presidential election was. The shift after election day should favor Democrats, as it did in November.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1346262801078214656

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Quorum posted:

My understanding is that somewhere north of 80% of votes should be counted by the wee hours of Wednesday morning, with the rest trickling in over the next few days. By then we should have a decent idea of the breakdown in turnout, geographic location, and partisan balance between early and day-of votes. A real nail-biter is possible, and someone following along in real time looking for a reason to despair will be sure to find plenty of them, but we should know the results late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

James Garfield posted:

Georgia counts mail ballots in advance, so there should be an apparent winner at least by Wednesday unless it's very close (but that doesn't rule out something like Pennsylvania, where Biden had clearly won as of November 4 but the media waited to call the outcome). It could still take a while if the runoff is as close as the presidential election was. The shift after election day should favor Democrats, as it did in November.

Makes sense, thanks for the info!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1346077918045347841

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Farchanter posted:

That's a tough one, because the polls are meant to be descriptive of the electorate. If Qanon poo poo was seeping and the polls didn't pick up on it, then that's an indictment of the polls irrespective of how outlandish the source of that contamination is.

I work on a social issue that deals with hidden populations, and making prevalence estimates is hard as hell. Political polling has had it easy for ages. Welcome to the world of surveying people who you can’t find easily, who don’t want to respond, and who can’t/don’t respond accurately. And those who you can find and who will respond are not representative.

There are sophisticated methods that work (e.g. RDS, NSUM), but they are slow, expensive, not easily explained, and probably still not as precise and accurate as political poll consumers demand.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Republicans: "Haha, I'm in danger."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm getting nice and settled in this thread because today is hell day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I swear to God if the Dems win in Georgia today and they don't immediately start moving to castrate the GOP's bullshit I'm going to post so many angry Tweets about it. :negative: