Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrPop posted:

I didn't realize they cut factory down to 5 PMCs until I heard Worrun talking about it. Can you still go in with a five-man?

Yeah you can now make Factory a purely PvE experience other than player scavs, if you have a reason to do so. (Unless they changed it since a couple wipes ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Anyone know a decent collection of game maps with dark backgrounds? Most of my search results have bright backgrounds and are distracting on a second screen

General Ledger posted:

I like this map resource the best:
https://mapgenie.io/tarkov
it's good but too many bright backgrounds

Roman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2021

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Working my way through all the Shoreline quests and man I hope that map is the next to get a rework. It's not my least favorite map (that'd be Interchange) but it's definitely the one I find the most boring.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

General Ledger posted:

i was using that but the Woods one is so out of date and completely useless, so gently caress that site. I just ran around like an idiot for 15 minutes because I spawned near a river in a large area not on the mapgenie one

compare https://mapgenie.io/tarkov/maps/woods

to:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Been watching Tarkov streams for the first time to get those sweet drops and as someone who only plays solo holy poo poo does this game look trivial if you go in with 3 or 4 people, it's ridiculous, it's a totally different game with almost zero consequences. You have 2-3 people covering you, and who'll pick your gear up if you die as the odds of you running into another 3 or 4 man who'll wipe you all is pretty drat rare. I kinda think they should separate the squads into separate servers and keep duos and solos in the same maps. Every single streamer i've seen who rolls in a 3+ squad just runs through the maps and plays it like it's COD. Maybe there are people itt who constantly run in squads and will tell me i'm wrong but it hasn't felt like that watching these streams.

But yea I still love this game, and it is thrilling as a solo player when you hear a duo or more running past you and you have to hunker down or even take a cheeky shot on them, that's the thing that makes Tarkov a great game is the fear and struggle to survive, let's be honest the gunplay isnt great nor the netcode, map design etc etc but i've had some amazing gaming moments that you wont get elsewhere in just this last week alone, the first was hunting a guy through interchange by following his blood trial for 10 minutes after our firefight and finally finishing him and the other was playing woods and being 1 minute from dying of dehydration in the middle of the map, pausing next to a random tree to frantically search my inventory for more healing only to look down and see a stash at my feet which had a bottle of Kvass water.

On another note I love the new Woods expansion, it's gone from my most hated map to maybe my favorite as it really allows freedom. You can still play it as a hunter/ sniper chasing the gunshots, or because the map is now so big it becomes more of a survival mission and feels quite a bit like Day Z. It's been my go to people hunting map so far this wipe, only issue I have now is learning the stashes, the maps so huge it's pretty tricky.

What's everyone's drops been like so far? Mine have been pretty average apart from a good reserve key I think? I never run that map so no idea, but it's the white knight building, i need to run Reserve on scav more to learn it before I start going in as a PMC.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 3, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Them cutting the hide time for the Factory end of Delivery From The Past is an A++++ QoL move thanks be to Nikita.

(Also just get on Discord and 5-stack that one/all non-PVP Factory quests.)

this is 100% true, it makes the whole experience significantly less awful

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrPop posted:

I didn't realize they cut factory down to 5 PMCs until I heard Worrun talking about it. Can you still go in with a five-man?

Night Factory is still 6 PMCs max, but yeah you can just lock out the PMC slots during the day with a full team.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Roman posted:

i was using that but the Woods one is so out of date and completely useless, so gently caress that site. I just ran around like an idiot for 15 minutes because I spawned near a river in a large area not on the mapgenie one

compare https://mapgenie.io/tarkov/maps/woods

to:

I prefer tarkov-tools.com just... in general. Maps are all up to date and it's got a built in zoom

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Famethrowa posted:

I prefer tarkov-tools.com just... in general. Maps are all up to date and it's got a built in zoom

This is fantastic thank you

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I don't know I'm starting to suspect this game is dumb and annoying

Just Chamber posted:

Every single streamer i've seen who rolls in a 3+ squad just runs through the maps and plays it like it's COD. Maybe there are people itt who constantly run in squads and will tell me i'm wrong but it hasn't felt like that watching these streams.
Playing in a group maybe isn't good for me, I get confused when a bunch of people are talking and making callouts, especialy when I don't know what any of these landmarks are called. Like I just played in a 4 man group and one random guy was slowly taking us out and I might have killed him if I wasn't pressing push to talk to ask if he was one of us, which I couldn't tell because there's a reason dumb games for casual babies put names above people's heads. I was there to kill Scavs for some reason and I don't even think I saw one once and was too busy following people around in the dark, hoping I didn't tk by accedent. I played 2 sessions and I don't think I even earned 700 XP from them together.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I think the game is good, and I started this week; playing with goons is so much fun. It’s challenging and demanding and you will die a lot for sure, but when things go right it’s truly amazing.

Take your time and make sure to memorize what your buddies look like. Some raids we coordinate armband colors. It’s better if you keep your mic on instead of push-to-talk. Carry an SKS and provide plenty of cover for your teammates while they flank and push :hai:

Ghost of RBG fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 3, 2021

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Roman posted:

I don't know I'm starting to suspect this game is dumb and annoying

Playing in a group maybe isn't good for me, I get confused when a bunch of people are talking and making callouts, especialy when I don't know what any of these landmarks are called. Like I just played in a 4 man group and one random guy was slowly taking us out and I might have killed him if I wasn't pressing push to talk to ask if he was one of us, which I couldn't tell because there's a reason dumb games for casual babies put names above people's heads. I was there to kill Scavs for some reason and I don't even think I saw one once and was too busy following people around in the dark, hoping I didn't tk by accedent. I played 2 sessions and I don't think I even earned 700 XP from them together.

Yeah not gonna lie my very first day I grouped with Goons and they were the most helpful friendly people ever, but it was so overwhelming going with a full stack and not knowing the maps or what was going on... it was almost un-fun. After that I took 2 days of just playing solo runs on a single map, just learning all the different places and trying to get some money/gear. It was... frustrating as gently caress, and I was terrified of literally everything since the AI scavs kept killing me. I couldn't see enemies for poo poo, and I just kept getting wiped.

I decided to try and tip-to back into groups with some duos, then slowly went trios etc. and that worked gang busters. IMO duo's are where it's at for the 1st timers, you go nice and slow since you can't face tank dudes, which means you learn good movement and get a chance to actually SEE enemies and get shots in. Anything more than Trios is still a bit much for me, too much going on and the groups move so fast I don't get to learn much. Full 5 stacks are STILL overwhelming, but it's nice getting carried through tasks :p.

I think it's best to just go slow, join up with one or two dudes who will show you how to get your poo poo set up and how to use the godawful Russian GUI, then go run some solos and duos until you're comfortable with the game itself. It really took me a couple of days of getting wrecked and thinking the game was dumb before things started to click and I started getting some good extracts with loot, and more importantly some good firefights in. Once you're comfortable actually hearing/seeing enemies and you get some fights in and kills, maaaaan the game just gets suuuuper addicting.

Shout out to Ixtlilton for the carries!

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 3, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Orv posted:

Yeah you can now make Factory a purely PvE experience other than player scavs, if you have a reason to do so. (Unless they changed it since a couple wipes ago.)

For a change of pace my buddies and I like to 5man factory equipped with just pistols, then equip ourselves off our kills. If we extract we can carry our loot into the next run. It often ends with us shooting each other since we all look like scavs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

JacksLibido posted:

you go nice and slow since you can't face tank dudes, which means you learn good movement and get a chance to actually SEE enemies and get shots in. Anything more than Trios is still a bit much for me, too much going on and the groups move so fast I don't get to learn much. Full 5 stacks are STILL overwhelming, but it's nice getting carried through tasks

Why can’t you face tank dudes at duos? Thls game has no matchmaking. You can be alone against five mans if the numbers so roll.

Everyone should learn the game the way they want, but bunch of offline raids and corner humping sounds boring, honestly. Just group up with goons, try to keep up, and rinse and repeat. If you are too slow, just vocalize that and let dudes know you can’t keep up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

playing solo is the way to go, learning the maps goes a lot easier and quicker when youre actually exploring the map and not just being ran around. also the games more fun solo, more intense, more rewarding when you wipe a squad and get all the loot out etc. the lack of squad indicators owns because it lets you actually take on squads solo once you get comfortable with the maps and the combat because you dont have to worry about anything but shooting everyone you see.

Just Chamber posted:

the gunplay isnt great [...] map design etc etc

i was with you until here lol the gunplay and the map design is part of what makes it so good to me

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Why can’t you face tank dudes at duos? Thls game has no matchmaking. You can be alone against five mans if the numbers so roll.

Everyone should learn the game the way they want, but bunch of offline raids and corner humping sounds boring, honestly. Just group up with goons, try to keep up, and rinse and repeat. If you are too slow, just vocalize that and let dudes know you can’t keep up.

You literally just had 2 dudes do exactly that then come here and say “that was horrible, I had no idea what was going on and don’t really like the game”.

I get that after hundreds of hours that may seem like a good idea, but diving into the deep end in such a grognard game like this ends up bad most of the time.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm down to 8000 rubles after a bunch of solo runs to kill scavs on customs for the quest, buying an sks each time and carrying only 10 of my new year's gift bp, because i was told that was the only gun i should be using and all the other ammo types in the game are useless. i somehow killed one scav and just got instakilled out of nowhere every other time. i ended up not taking any armor or meds or whatever after the first 2 runs because you die instantly to everything and i would just lose it all anyway so who cares. now i have to wait to see if insurance gets any of the guns back in a couple days. my last run was knife only because why not. i tested it on a scav, and preliminary results indicate knives are useless. fun game!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

One of the best ways to learn about how to kill scavs when you’re a new player is this video:

https://youtu.be/mH7ua6wMJkw

Basically if a scav yells at you break line of sight, wait a bit, then re-engage and kill him quick. Scavs become almost a nonissue when you get used to how to best engage them. Obviously that takes a while but you really have to approach this game differently than other shooters.

One of my friends has 50 some hours in this game and still just has stand-up no moving fights with scavs and he dies like 70% of the time if they see him. You have to approach it differently.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

Roman posted:

I'm down to 8000 rubles after a bunch of solo runs to kill scavs on customs for the quest, buying an sks each time and carrying only 10 of my new year's gift bp, because i was told that was the only gun i should be using and all the other ammo types in the game are useless. i somehow killed one scav and just got instakilled out of nowhere every other time. i ended up not taking any armor or meds or whatever after the first 2 runs because you die instantly to everything and i would just lose it all anyway so who cares. now i have to wait to see if insurance gets any of the guns back in a couple days. my last run was knife only because why not. i tested it on a scav, and preliminary results indicate knives are useless. fun game!

You should run your scav when available between PMC runs, it's a great way to learn the maps risk free and you'll extract with the scav gear and anything you find in raid. Play slowly and scavenge, play maps that are quieter - customs has loads of early wipe quests tied to it and is really busy; it's choke point design means it's easier to run into other players.

I really like interchange, you can run the hidden caches on the outskirts of the mall which puts you close to extracts, and that loop always seem to be pretty quiet (on EU severs anyhow) - I've only run into players a handful of times out there, and there are only a couple of AI scav spawns to be wary of (emercom ramp, scav camp, power station)

I think this is also true of shoreline regarding running the hidden caches but I don't play that map very often.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Roman posted:

keep your meds in your secure so you can heal but dont lose them if you die. you can put extra ammo there as well if you want. this early in the wipe and especially given that you are trying to kill scavs primarily right now, dont worry too much about using the right guns etc. just try stuff out, find one thats comfortable. just go in with a pistol and a rig even! also if you get down to nothing i believe there is some safety thing where youll get bailed out with some cash, i dont know if thats still around and how exactly it triggers and what you get though, someone else will certainly know.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Pathos posted:

Basically if a scav yells at you break line of sight, wait a bit, then re-engage and kill him quick.
Scavs are Archviles confirmed?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

giZm posted:

Scavs are Archviles confirmed?

Maybe there's a reason I like this stupid game so much!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Give whoever told you the sks is the only viable weapon a good slap, because that's some of the worst advice I've ever heard regarding this game.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
SKS is a great early game weapon, but it's definitely not "only use this gun, full stop".

Honestly outside of the cosplay quests that force you to use certain guns, the best advice regarding weapons I could give is: Use a gun that you like and are familiar with, and can afford decent ammo for it. If there's a gun that you like running, that you can hit shots with better, etc it's going to trump trying to force yourself to use some "best in slot" gun that you're unfamiliar with.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Give whoever told you the sks is the only viable weapon a good slap, because that's some of the worst advice I've ever heard regarding this game.

I stan the SKS because it works for me, but uh, yeah. A stock AK/vpo with a dovetail cobra is much easier to use then an SKS.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I'm not dogging the sks, it's a great beginner weapon. I'm taking issue with the statement that it's the only viable one.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'm not a huge fan of the SKS early on. Its reload speed is really tough to deal with if you're top loading. I'd use any other semiauto (shotguns included) instead.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

he's exaggerating, he asked for advice and that's what I said to use because you get 900 bp with your gift and the gun is available from level 1 traders for cheap. I stand by the recommendation.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm also new to the game and, while I like the SKS, I'll take bad guns I extracted from scav runs on low risk PMC raids, saving my better scav guns for raids where me and my friends go "all in". So the former would be maybe just a "free" pistol or shotgun and the later is some kind of assault rifle, full armor, mags and grenades and all of it insured. I "float about 3 full kits of "all in" gear between my stash and pending insurance claims.

Edit: as the poster above said, my favorite cheap run is a sks with some pocket ammo, but I'll use whatever.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 4, 2021

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

the main complaint I have about about the default sks is the iron sight, I prefer the 7.62 vepr but honestly it doesn't sound like the gun is the guy's problem.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 4, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

DrPop posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the SKS early on. Its reload speed is really tough to deal with if you're top loading. I'd use any other semiauto (shotguns included) instead.

This is why I always recommend new players to pick up and keep the 7.62 VEPR. Teaches you to use AK, 30 round box mags, and generally you get one or two for free each raid just by killing scavs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pistols are a fun time for hunting scavs with little risk, just wear a cheap rig so the scavs dont get mad and dogpile you

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I feel like I'm the only goon who hates buckshot though, you end up with 300 to arms and 200 to armor before you finally hit a headshot and even trying to leg scavs takes 4-5 shots for me from 10-ish meters, would rather use the stock sks than buckshot but ymmv.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The sks is bad, it has bad sights and too much recoil

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

hakimashou posted:

The sks is bad, it has bad sights and too much recoil

what gun should someone who's level 3 and has no inventory use, haki?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Ixtlilton posted:

I feel like I'm the only goon who hates buckshot though, you end up with 300 to arms and 200 to armor before you finally hit a headshot and even trying to leg scavs takes 4-5 shots for me from 10-ish meters, would rather use the stock sks than buckshot but ymmv.

Can't relate, every time I hit someone with the 8.5 magnum buck its like I hit em with Power Word: Death. The only thing more fun is the KS-23

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Just had a scav run on interchange with an sv-98 and as I was making my way out some sweatlord spotted me and chased me down. I stayed hidden away for a good five minutes and started to creep out and he had been going from room to room to find me. I ran away, circled around, and shot him in the chest. This game is so great sometimes.

Thanks for reading my livejournal

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Pathos posted:

Just had a scav run on interchange with an sv-98 and as I was making my way out some sweatlord spotted me and chased me down. I stayed hidden away for a good five minutes and started to creep out and he had been going from room to room to find me. I ran away, circled around, and shot him in the chest. This game is so great sometimes.

Thanks for reading my livejournal

:)

Ixtlilton posted:

what gun should someone who's level 3 and has no inventory use, haki?

An SKS is certainly better than nothing! But only marginally better than Knife or Axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sks is what i used when i started and i always loved it. its def viable, but how you feel about the iron sights is probably going to make or break it for you.