Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Tip for 1Password is to "allow notifications" but disable all 3 of the alerts. If you have them turned on then it spams you about it copying the 2FA to the clipboard but (and this was a while ago so maybe I'm wrong) if you disable notifications then it doesn't copy the 2FA codes and you have to go back into 1Password. This way you get the code copied but don't get the annoying banner notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

kri kri posted:

1Password does own, I use eero secure and that includes a family sub.

For reference, 1Password also has a family plan.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

obi_ant posted:

I forgot the reason, but there was something that LastPass did that did not sit well with me. I used them for 3-4 years with whatever their life-time purchase was and switched over to 1Password.

Edit: 1Password used to have a life-time payment thing, but I think they removed it.
There was a breach a while back: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#2015_security_breach

Also latter "incidents" on there based on the extension, not sure whether those types of vulnerabilities were entirely specific to theirs though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I’ve noticed that, since today, Spotify does not play music while in background, is it a new free trier limitation like for YouTube or my install is bugged?

Edit: after an hour, it decided to start working again 🤷‍♂️

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 8, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Can anyone identify this apparently defunct streaming radio app? It looks like it was pulled from the App Store, but it's annoying me that I can't remember what it was called.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I checked the OP, but I couldn't find any Youtube mobile replacement apps like Newpipe for iphones?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

I checked the OP, but I couldn't find any Youtube mobile replacement apps like Newpipe for iphones?

Correct, they don't exist in the app store.

If you're looking to block ads then I think the best option is the mobile site via Safari and whatever adblocker of your choice.

edit: There used to be 3rd party Youtube apps but Google had them removed. You can read the statement from the creator of Protube which was the most popular YT app here

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 12, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

FCKGW posted:

edit: There used to be 3rd party Youtube apps but Google had them removed. You can read the statement from the creator of Protube which was the most popular YT app here

isn’t this like textbook anti-competitive behavior?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably, and it's probably one of a million reasons why all the major tech companies are fighting off anti-competitive investigations right now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

isn’t this like textbook anti-competitive behavior?

Not really in this case, a lot of the functionality that Protube provided was in its ability to circumvent the restrictions of YouTube Premium (pip, background music). So you’re paying the Protube $5 or whatever to avoid paying YouTube $12/mo. That’s what pissed Google off, not just that it was an “alternate player”.

There’s still a few other YouTube apps in the store but they’re just wrappers for the website and don’t duplicate any of the features of YouTube Premium.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Musi is still pretty good for listening to music from YouTube with the screen off.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Is there any way to set up parental restrictions that only unlock certain apps (games for example) after X amount of time in other apps (educational)? I'd like to set up my kid's iPad so they can have, let's say, 15 minutes of restricted app time after 30 minutes of educational apps.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

sometime recently gmail started opening links in safari despite my default being chrome. changed it to safari, it opens in the-app safari browser. changed to chrome it opens in the standalone safari app

any idea how to get it to open links in chrome again?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

double post two days apart lol

any good iOS alternatives to the android INKredible app?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jazz Marimba posted:

double post two days apart lol

any good iOS alternatives to the android INKredible app?
Partially depends if you mean for iPhone or iPad use, particularly cause the latter has the Pencil as an option.

Hard part is there's so many drat note taking apps, off the top of my head Notability and Good Notes(?) have been around for a while. Concepts is another one I've heard about but it looks more aimed at a more visual or nonlinear style of note taking.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What about a universal clipboard between iOS and Win 10? I think Raindrop.io is 80% there but I also want to send text and small files sometimes too!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

tuyop posted:

What about a universal clipboard between iOS and Win 10? I think Raindrop.io is 80% there but I also want to send text and small files sometimes too!

Notion?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh wow I just noticed Shortcuts has folders now! That is something I’d been wanting for a while. Must have been after iOS 14.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did apple remove the Siri app suggestions? I use the search to launch apps but it is missing now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kri kri posted:

Did apple remove the Siri app suggestions? I use the search to launch apps but it is missing now.

Still there for me

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Still there for me

Odd, fixed after a reboot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kri kri posted:

Odd, fixed after a reboot

When I first updated, Spotlight was totally broken until another reboot. Like, pulling down would just blur the screen.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Speaking of Siri Suggestions, does it drive anyone else nuts that you can't put it in a stack?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How do I clear the autofill for Instagram searches?

I'm having an issue with iOS Instagram where a couple accounts are constantly being suggested as the first result when I start to type in the search bar whenever I start with a letter that is in the account names... which is a lot of letters.

This isn’t the history or the suggestions where there’s an “x” to clear them. It’s just the autofill list of accounts when the user types into the search bar.

These are accounts that I don't like having a daily reminder of any time I want to search something on IG. These results pop up above actual people I follow and accounts which I visit frequently. One of them is an account which I visited I think twice?

I have deleted search history, app data and cache. Nothing so far has worked. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 23, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How do I clear the autofill for Instagram searches?

I'm having an issue with iOS Instagram where a couple accounts are constantly being suggested as the first result when I start to type in the search bar whenever I start with a letter that is in the account names... which is a lot of letters.

This isn’t the history or the suggestions where there’s an “x” to clear them. It’s just the autofill list of accounts when the user types into the search bar.

These are accounts that I don't like having a daily reminder of any time I want to search something on IG. These results pop up above actual people I follow and accounts which I visit frequently. One of them is an account which I visited I think twice?

I have deleted search history, app data and cache. Nothing so far has worked. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Like if I search for 'booty' all the time and one day I decide to look at 'beaches', it would automatically populate 'booty' first right?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

obi_ant posted:

Like if I search for 'booty' all the time and one day I decide to look at 'beaches', it would automatically populate 'booty' first right?

No! It’s popping up ‘beaches’ first!

Your description would make more sense.

But accounts I’ve visited once or twice pop up at the top of the queue. And it doesn’t seem like the autofill queue is based on quantity of visits, length of visits, or temporal order of when the accounts were visited.

E: also ‘beaches’ is an account I follow but ‘booty’ is not followed.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

As someone who uses YouTube frequently and despises ads, the Indian VPN signup loophole works decently enough. It comes out to about ~$20/year but I use it on a throwaway gmail account and don’t have a super important list of favorites. No issues almost 10 months in.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I’m having a lot more trouble with websites just straight up not working with 1blocker recently. I used to be able to temporarily turn off blockers for a tab while I was browsing, but it seems now that the option to do that in safari resets whenever that site loads a new page, which makes some sites impossible to use without making permanent site-wide exceptions. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen that too and the resolutions aren't great. Either load up 1Blocker and have it regenerate it's rules (has helped me in a couple cases), or stop blocking on the affected site. If there's a better fix I don't know it.

Fortunately for me not many of the sites I visit have the issue.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’m having a lot more trouble with websites just straight up not working with 1blocker recently. I used to be able to temporarily turn off blockers for a tab while I was browsing, but it seems now that the option to do that in safari resets whenever that site loads a new page, which makes some sites impossible to use without making permanent site-wide exceptions. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

You might have to walk back some of the blocking. There’s a whole slew of different options to block:

That said, I run it in conjunction with NextDNS.io which does network layer ad blocking.

They’ve got an iOS app that uses a VPN profile to force DNS through their resolvers. I’ve been really happy with it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Pretty sure the answer to this is “no”, but I’ll ask anyways:

I live in a country without the infrastructure to cash checks. No longer have an American bank account. Sitting on this $1,200 stimulus check. The only way I can think of to get the funds is to use the PayPal app to electronically cash it.

I used a VPN to actually enable the app to start the process. However it uses an in-app camera, which requires location services enabled, to verify your location. Then immediately sends the data to PayPal. My condo has a convoluted in-house internet provider that messes with my DNS settings and I’m not smart enough to figure out how to set up a router-level (Apple) VPN.

Ideas?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Something must've gone wrong because I haven't had an app update on the App Store since Dec. 18th and I'm sure there must've been some since then. None show up on the update view and claim that their last updates have been 3 weeks to a month ago, despite being (mostly Google) apps that update like twice a week usually.

I've relogged and rebooted my phone but those didn't work. What's up here, or is this the first time ever all app developers took a month off?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Something must've gone wrong because I haven't had an app update on the App Store since Dec. 18th and I'm sure there must've been some since then. None show up on the update view and claim that their last updates have been 3 weeks to a month ago, despite being (mostly Google) apps that update like twice a week usually.

I've relogged and rebooted my phone but those didn't work. What's up here, or is this the first time ever all app developers took a month off?

I think there's a period where the App Store doesn't push any new updates because Apple wants them to work for all the new customers getting devices on Christmas and (purportedly) to give the teams in charge of approving apps a break for the holidays, but it's not THAT long.

The only other thing I could think of is maybe you changed your account's region at some point - the App Store used to be weird about only being able to download updates for applications when you were logged in/registered in a certain region, but I also thought they fixed that or at least smoothed it over.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I think there's a period where the App Store doesn't push any new updates because Apple wants them to work for all the new customers getting devices on Christmas and (purportedly) to give the teams in charge of approving apps a break for the holidays, but it's not THAT long.

The only other thing I could think of is maybe you changed your account's region at some point - the App Store used to be weird about only being able to download updates for applications when you were logged in/registered in a certain region, but I also thought they fixed that or at least smoothed it over.

Yeah I initially thought it might be some kind of a holiday break thing but couldn't remember that ever happening before. I haven't changed my region or anything either, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary on the phone since I last got app updates, they just suddenly stopped.

I figure one way to confirm that this is on my end would be for someone to check if they have corresponding "last updated" dates and versions on the same apps, like YouTube (4 weeks ago, v. 15.49.4), WhatsApp (2 weeks ago, v. 2.20.132) and Gmail (1 month ago, v. 60.201115). I don't know if updates are region specific though, I'm in the EU.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

those are all current

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
updates are deffo still coming...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Weedle posted:

those are all current

Well I'll be damned. Suppose I jumped the gun then, I'll keep waiting. Thanks for checking!

E: Just to sate my curiosity, is there a popular app that updates super frequently?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Stare-Out posted:

Well I'll be damned. Suppose I jumped the gun then, I'll keep waiting. Thanks for checking!

E: Just to sate my curiosity, is there a popular app that updates super frequently?

Probably facebook?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Probably facebook?

I downloaded a couple that might work, but I'll get that one too. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

I downloaded a couple that might work, but I'll get that one too. Thanks!

FWIW I’ve been getting automatic updates as well.

Also lol at the App Store’s current advertisement/story

Yeah I’ll get right on meeting random people right now during a pandemic.