Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

BeastPussy posted:

Goals this year:

Complete Mt. Washington hillclimb
I really want to do that hill climb! I was going to do it casually this year without really looking in to the details. Now I know. For anyone else that isn't aware. Bikes aren't allowed on that road except for one day a year specifically for that hill climb event. And, you aren't allowed to ride back down to the bottom. You have to have a vehicle at the top to take you back down. It looks like a wonderfully type 2 fun kind of event for a midwesterner like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

This year for me:

Mileage goal: 5050 miles (was doing a challenge with friends)
Actual mileage: 5926.1 miles
Total days: 199
Total time: 499 hours
Elevation: 178,602 ft

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
How 2020 ends.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
VeloViewer time :spergin:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/o0j0zK1.png][/timg]

And as of today I have completed my goal of 100mi a week or more every week of 2020. I won’t be doing this again, next year I’m doing 6+ hours a week.

Also TTrash and I finished out the festive 500 in style.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 1, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Move to Houston

Arguably the worst advice I've ever read

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sab0921 posted:

Move to Houston

nobody should do this

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

e.pilot posted:

nobody should do this

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Last year with regular randonneuring and PBP I hit 5400 miles, 261k feet of climbing.

This year:

Climbing due to hitting a stride with Alpe de Zwift. This upcoming year, I'm having a kid so I expect the initial run to be pretty bad. Gotta keep in shape though so I can do my PBP qualifiers in 2022 and then hit PBP again in 2023.

Starting off the year with this ride:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34938605

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 1, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hit my goal of 500 mi run and 1000mi on bike, easily 3x what I did in 2019 but I'm now unemployed and have way more free time :v:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Move to Houston

Nothing is worth that

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Lotta good food in Houston. Plenty of swamp rear end, too. Y'ALL LIKE SWAMP rear end, RIGHT?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
2020 by the numbers, in :canada: units:

KM goal: 7,000 km
Actual KM: 8,957 km
Total days: 182
Total time: 369 hours
Elevation: 111,444 m
2 races entered, 1 race finished.

2021:
- finish the full 120km of the Merritt Crown (ran out of daylight at 110km this year)
- undertake some sort of structured training
- 6 hours a week
- find more gravel races

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I bought the time-crunched cyclist and i’m going to start one of the plans next week. I’ve got an elemnt roam and i’d like to get the workouts on there. From what I can tell, the only way to get the workouts onto the roam is via a third party site that will let me enter workouts. I started a trial of trainingpeaks, and it’s nice, but i already pay for strava so i’d like to avoid paying for another service. Is there a way to get workouts onto my device without paying for some other service? I see there is a free trainingpeaks account and it looks like you can enter the day’s workout there. Is that how it works and is it gonna be a pain in the rear end? Another option is to try and just remember the workout i’m supposed to do but it’s really nice to have something count the intervals and show the targets.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Overall a down year for me on the bike. I lost a lot of commuting miles due to WFH in the spring then significant "essential worker" travel in the fall. Still had some successes: extended my streak of strava gran fondos to 48 months, started my first structured training regimen in the summer, completed the 6 bridges 300k, attempted (and ultimately bailed on) my first 600k, survived a scary fall at relatively high speed without any lasting injuries, finished the Festive 500 for the first time, set a PR on the local mountain climb (on the last day of the F500) and set a new elevation record this year.

Goals for next year include continuing the gran fondo streak, riding some brevets and getting an indoor trainer before next fall. Happy 2021 everyone!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

sweat poteto posted:

Congrats on the new job! When are you moving? Hell of a change from Colorado.

Move in date in Tampa is Feb 5. :smith:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

spf3million posted:

Overall a down year for me on the bike. I lost a lot of commuting miles due to WFH in the spring then significant "essential worker" travel in the fall. Still had some successes: extended my streak of strava gran fondos to 48 months, started my first structured training regimen in the summer, completed the 6 bridges 300k, attempted (and ultimately bailed on) my first 600k, survived a scary fall at relatively high speed without any lasting injuries, finished the Festive 500 for the first time, set a PR on the local mountain climb (on the last day of the F500) and set a new elevation record this year.

Goals for next year include continuing the gran fondo streak, riding some brevets and getting an indoor trainer before next fall. Happy 2021 everyone!

I saw your Mt. Diablo ride, what a way to finish F500!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dren posted:

I bought the time-crunched cyclist and i’m going to start one of the plans next week. I’ve got an elemnt roam and i’d like to get the workouts on there. From what I can tell, the only way to get the workouts onto the roam is via a third party site that will let me enter workouts. I started a trial of trainingpeaks, and it’s nice, but i already pay for strava so i’d like to avoid paying for another service. Is there a way to get workouts onto my device without paying for some other service? I see there is a free trainingpeaks account and it looks like you can enter the day’s workout there. Is that how it works and is it gonna be a pain in the rear end? Another option is to try and just remember the workout i’m supposed to do but it’s really nice to have something count the intervals and show the targets.

It's been a couple years since I used the free version but my recollection is that syncing structured workouts to wahoo works fine with the free tier.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Festive 500 doers, slide into my DMs with your address and a link or screenshot of your completed F500 and I’ll send you a sticker (or two stickers if not many people end up wanting one)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pretty good one.

Zwift helped at the end, without it I think I'm at more like 8800. But also if I'd had miles counting for trainer time last jan-feb I'd have more.

Uh, 2021... Hopefully race again, get some more new bikes. train smarter instead of just riding a lot. Maybe try for a million feet?

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 1, 2021

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

BeastPussy posted:

Previous bests:
Distance: 1,900 mi (2016)
Time: 123h 46m (2016)
Elevation Gain: 59,280ft (2017)
Rides: 88

Goals this year:
Distance: 1,000 mi
Complete Mt. Washington hillclimb

How things stand now:

Mt. Washington didn't happen because it got cancelled, but everything else was awesome. Set new personal bests for everything, got in better bike shape than I've ever been in, and just finished Festive 500 (all indoors, but still not easy). Four Horsemen was the last route and I bonked at Turn 10 on Alpe du Zwift, but whatever, that's for another day.

gently caress 2020, bikes rule.

Forgot last night but 2021 goals:
-Mt. Washington hillclimb
-3k miles between outside and Zwift
-100k feet climbing
-another century
-AdZ & Ventoux in Zwift
-look at my numbers and improve them somehow once I get a power meter

Crumps Brother posted:

I really want to do that hill climb! I was going to do it casually this year without really looking in to the details. Now I know. For anyone else that isn't aware. Bikes aren't allowed on that road except for one day a year specifically for that hill climb event. And, you aren't allowed to ride back down to the bottom. You have to have a vehicle at the top to take you back down. It looks like a wonderfully type 2 fun kind of event for a midwesterner like myself.

They're running it twice this year, untimed on the traditional practice day and also on the normal official day. Come on out and we'll get it done!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Here's mine - pretty weak compared to a lot of you. But this is my first year biking, which arose out of getting a Peloton during quarantine and then switching mostly to real biking when I got a bike in July. I love cycling and look forward to a lot more in 2021.

Ani fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 1, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a really weird issue with a front bike light - it's a Lezyne 400XL, and my wife came down to find it, unplugged, blinking, with the LED under the button lit up blue.

I can't for the life of me turn it off, or make it do anything, for that matter. Long press, short press, multiple presses... it's still blinking away.

The internet has no idea what's going on, as far as I can tell. Currently I'm just letting it run itself dry, but I'd love to know what's going on.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

F500 finished off with the usual hill reps a little group of us do on a Thursday night. As no one else was silly enough to be doing it on NYE at -2oC I picked up 4 of the local legends we all trade each week and have a good lead in all of them

So a solid result all round

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Ani posted:

But this is my first year biking, which arose out of getting a Peloton during quarantine and then switching mostly to real biking when I got a bike in July. I love cycling and look forward to a lot more in 2021.

Love reading this. Nice work!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bolind posted:

I have a really weird issue with a front bike light - it's a Lezyne 400XL, and my wife came down to find it, unplugged, blinking, with the LED under the button lit up blue.

I can't for the life of me turn it off, or make it do anything, for that matter. Long press, short press, multiple presses... it's still blinking away.

The internet has no idea what's going on, as far as I can tell. Currently I'm just letting it run itself dry, but I'd love to know what's going on.

Warranty it cause you can't trust it to work when you need it anymore

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Ani posted:

Here's mine - pretty weak compared to a lot of you. But this is my first year biking, which arose out of getting a Peloton during quarantine and then switching mostly to real biking when I got a bike in July. I love cycling and look forward to a lot more in 2021.

:krad:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Ani posted:

That's pretty drat good for your first year, keep it up!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

6k for your first year is v good!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

sat on my keys! posted:

This year for me:

Mileage goal: 5050 miles (was doing a challenge with friends)
Actual mileage: 5926.1 miles
Total days: 199
Total time: 499 hours
Elevation: 178,602 ft

I forgot 2021 goals!!! Dumb.

- Get a road bike. Almost all those miles were on my hybrid.
- Actually hit 6000 this year.
- Go touring for at least a week after I get the vaccine.
- Participate in a race again!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sat on my keys! posted:

I forgot 2021 goals!!! Dumb.

- Get a road bike. Almost all those miles were on my hybrid.
- Actually hit 6000 this year.
- Go touring for at least a week after I get the vaccine.
- Participate in a race again!

All these are good goals!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
me, unable to find my tire levers, needing to change tubes on a skinny tire

(ended up using wooden paint sticks as tire levers)

Apr 7, 2003

After spending 40 minutes crawling around a filthy basement floor looking for a chain MissingLink(r) I've decided that I loving hate bicycles

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

After spending 40 minutes crawling around a filthy basement floor looking for a chain MissingLink(r) I've decided that I loving hate bicycles

Maybe you should instead decide that you hate your basement floor

Apr 7, 2003

I asked my wife to come down and she found it in three minutes

I should hate my eyes I guess

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Well now, that's what I call a missing link.
(CSI Miami opening theme plays)

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Go buy 10 of them on amazon or whatever right now before you forget.

Apr 7, 2003

Best post in this thread

Don't have to give a poo poo about dropping them if i"ve got twelve

also I ended up cutting two inner links off the chain anyway ,turns out "universal" ain't

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mystes posted:

Well now, that's what I call a missing link.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Not as much miles as I’d like, but decent climbs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!