Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder how they choose which researchers get assigned to the obscenely deadly skips. You don't want to assign the new junior researchers, because then you'll never get any senior researchers. You don't want to assign the senior researchers, because then you'll run out of senior researchers.

You end up with the researcher equivalent of Cohen the Barbarian, the people who have survived to old age despite facing insanely dangerous SCPs over and over again and have come out the far side with extremely good instincts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Black August posted:

I don't peg D-Class as ever doing janitorial duty. Way way way too dangerous to let untrained just walk in with a mop. You need teams. Specific, informed, trained, experienced teams who can handle a thousand abnormalities and their esoteric cleaning requirements. You need specific in-house teams who only service SCPs at a single vital/hidden Site. You can't get around cleaning. You never can, and never will, which tells me that there is a deadly serious and hard working strata of employees in a janitorial union who do it all; scrubbing the toilets, making the break room coffee maker nice, wiping away the poo poo stains of Hell Gods, sanitizing thaumaturgical research equipment, vacuuming the carpets of the O5 meeting room.

Now, D-Class can get promoted to Janitorial I'd bet, and that right there is a good hook. I am pretty fond of the idea that the real point of the D-Class system is to take from the massive overflow of prison systems, vanishing busloads into the night, all with the purpose of giving them a chance at becoming part of the Foundation through a multitude of programs built into each Site's operation.

I found a locally-authored, self-published sci-fi novel on this topic, "Janitor 51." It is exactly as you would expect from that description and title.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Splicer posted:

Oh hey look, 90% high-larious senior staff monkey cheese, 10% the actual premise. What a surprise.

*shrug*

Two thousand eight, what're you gonna do.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

Dareon posted:

I found a locally-authored, self-published sci-fi novel on this topic, "Janitor 51." It is exactly as you would expect from that description and title.

i only know the title and i'm already making jokes about cleaning up the research staff's messes

incidentally this would make a great dr. who fanfic where it's just a time lord who follows around all the other ones and helps people put their lives back together

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Parahexavoctal posted:

*shrug*

Two thousand eight, what're you gonna do.

not write a succeeding article for every future election, for one

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

flatluigi posted:

not write a succeeding article for every future election, for one

Now you tell me.

Some of them are interesting, though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!
The actual scip here is whatever causes them to write terrible political fanfiction every four years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just caught this one
https://twitter.com/mariannefavro/status/1345723045164404737

SCP-202025

Class: Keter

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Jan 4, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

just thinking about how this may well prove to have been the face of death for one or more real actual people

not a good feeling i have to say

e: going to repost this in a warhammer thread. "lol."

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Sleekly posted:

https://twitter.com/rodeoman/status/1344694775224565760?s=19

Tony Hawk is a skip, this happens to him all the time and when MTFs get him they keep asking him if he's really Tony Hawk but they're not capable of comprehending that it is and there are jokes. And maybe this one agent can recognise him but no one knows why. Its because the agent once did a 900 but after all the memory wipes there's no actual common ground

When I first saw this tweet I read 'run' as 'turn' and it would make a very good SCP.

Not people becoming Tony Hawk but a contagious meme that convinces people that it is a real possibility and then they post about what precautions they'd take.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Any good recentish articles in the old style EG Here is a strangely unsettling object what does spooky things?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Parahexavoctal posted:

Some of them are interesting, though.

Not gonna lie, the picture/reveal of Containment Tool 128C made me lol.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the best president-related scp is 2762

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

i was in this loving emergency room on the 29th, i got a call from the covid people yesterday

loving cursed, jesus christ

e: i didn't catch covid, fortunately

freemandela has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Jan 9, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

freemandela posted:

i was in this loving emergency room on the 29th, i got a call from the covid people yesterday

loving cursed, jesus christ

e: i didn't catch covid, fortunately

it appears the amnestics are functioning properly

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

freemandela has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Jan 9, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I wonder how many anomalies this forum is responsible for during its 21 and change years of operation. It is most certainly a not insubstantial count.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Groverhaus might be Euclid but it sure as poo poo isn't Euclidean

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-173 posted:

1.DO NOT contact or negotiate Izumi Kato about anything related to "SCP-173".
2.DO NOT negotiate "commercial license of SCP-173 images" at all.
3.DO NOT ask the SCP Wiki to handle "untitled 2004 commercial license negotiations" with Izumi Kato.
4."Untitled 2004" images are not available commercially for use in connection with SCP-173. THERE IS NO EXCEPTION.

I love how this reads like it's part of the SCP. I wonder what terrible apocalyptic event was narrowly averted the last time someone tried to negotiate a commercial license for SCP-173 images?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

StratGoatCom posted:

I wonder how many anomalies this forum is responsible for during its 21 and change years of operation. It is most certainly a not insubstantial count.

i mean, slenderman alone is enough to just assume SCP employees post here in relevant universes

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Eox posted:

Groverhaus might be Euclid but it sure as poo poo isn't Euclidean

Day 69 14:52 [static] ...ing drywall... it's all... load bearing drywall

no further communications

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

We all know the Black Science stuff got shut down when Lowtax got visited by an MTF.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

StratGoatCom posted:

We all know the Black Science stuff got shut down when Lowtax got visited by an MTF.
Mobile Task Force Kyanka-1 ("Yams Yams Yams") and Kyanka-5 ("Dear Richard,") report mission completion. Surviving officer of Unit 4 ("yos pos bithc") appointed site manager. GOC liaison Boll thanked for his service. No records of 2 and 3 remain.

e: You probably could get some SCPs out of ideas like community radicalization in particular forums, the development of intricate jargon, the tale of permabanned user n-stomper58, etc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What was the scp where humanity was slowly losing the ability to do many things that were considered essential to the human experience, like dreaming in color, and communicating telepathically, and flight?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Phy posted:

What was the scp where humanity was slowly losing the ability to do many things that were considered essential to the human experience, like dreaming in color, and communicating telepathically, and flight?

4228 partially fits.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
No, that was exactly the one I was trying to remember, thank you!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
That one is great, yeah.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What the absolute gently caress is this 5004 bullshit???

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
something written when at least one person found trump hilarious

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What the absolute gently caress is this 5004 bullshit???

flatluigi posted:

something written when at least one person found trump hilarious
SCP-5004 is completely awful as an article, but it's filled with absurdity and "I have to see this" that people end up liking it specifically for its audacity. I personally hate it with a passion, but considering how close it came to winning the 5000 contest, I'm very alright with the winner being SCP References: The Article.

"Powerful wizard Ruth Bader Ginsberg" is now a bit of a meme.

Edit: If you want an actually good SCP article that's absurdist political humor, an old version of 5221 was great... but taken down because it was apparently plagiarized. :eng99:

girl dick energy has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Jan 17, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: If you want an actually good SCP article that's absurdist political humor, an old version of 5221 was great... but taken down because it was apparently plagiarized. :eng99:

Aw, drat, that's why it disappeared? I went to look for it and found what seems like a really long tales-on-mainlist O5 drama piece in the 5221 slot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got an ad on Instagram for some SCP art books. How does that work with the original writers and copyright?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scp-foundation-artbooks

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

PMush Perfect posted:

"Powerful wizard Ruth Bader Ginsberg" is now a bit of a meme.

That entire article is worth it for Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Grand Arcanist of Brooklyn, the Witch of Washington, the Arch-Arcanist of Jurisprudence!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I remember reading that big ol' article, isn't it really about some devil built into the White House and :trump: is more the guy who's there right now, like that Death Note chapter the dude wrote in 2018?

IUG posted:

I just got an ad on Instagram for some SCP art books. How does that work with the original writers and copyright?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scp-foundation-artbooks
Probably because it's under Creative Commons. I am no student of your Tellurian laws but it seems to say that a project like this would be very legal and very cool (to borrow a phrase) as long as you gave proper attribution, which you could presumably do in end notes or similar. Interestingly enough, the art in those artbooks would be valid to put back into the skips themselves.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nessus posted:

I remember reading that big ol' article, isn't it really about some devil built into the White House and :trump: is more the guy who's there right now, like that Death Note chapter the dude wrote in 2018?

Yeah, something like there's a keter-grade extradimensional reality bender under DC and donnie smallhands is such an immense reality sink he counters it.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, something like there's a keter-grade extradimensional reality bender under DC and donnie smallhands is such an immense reality sink he counters it.

We defeated the demon... but at what cost?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kazinsal posted:

Basically, Donald Trump is a Blank from 40k, a human deadzone for anomalous activity. I do love the concept, because it puts the Foundation in the position of needing to deal with having a horrendous and dangerous human being in a position of power, who is also a critical cornerstone in keeping normalcy intact.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the one where they have to send an MTF to shoot their way into the whitehouse to make him scratch his nose is better.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I think the one where they have to send an MTF to shoot their way into the whitehouse to make him scratch his nose is better.
Should've just given him a toot, he'd know what to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I feel like the Trump jokes in 5004 are too easy and lazy. And the worship over Robert Mueller (“greatest investigatory mind of a generation”) is kinda embarrassing, especially after that whole thing ended up being a wet fart. The article’s humor was pretty aged when it was first posted, and it’s only gotten worse in the past year.