Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the UK is doing remarkably well on the vaccine rollout thus far

unlike (say) Denmark, it doesn't have community transmission under control however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I'm married to a teacher so I'm inherently biased but to my mind the obvious scale is: hospital staff -> care home staff -> teachers -> most clinically vulnerable -> olds -> everyone else in decreasing age order

Though I guess olds are much more likely to vote tory than the preceeding groups in my plan.

Well there were about 60,000-70,000 potential Tory voters who hadn't been prioritised before.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1346017519841267713?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao that their sole policy is "don't call for schools to be closed because keith will look like an idiot"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

the UK is doing remarkably well on the vaccine rollout thus far

unlike (say) Denmark, it doesn't have community transmission under control however

Israel's per-capita numbers are very skewed by who they consider a "person".

e: I can't find any actual evidence but I'm willing to bet my place in the vaccine line that the same thing is happening in Bahrain.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

OwlFancier posted:

lmao that their sole policy is "don't call for schools to be closed because keith will look like an idiot"

It's literally this. Absolutely pathetic.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Maugrim posted:

:siren: :siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund - End-of-Year Update, Committee Elections, and Announcement of General Meeting :siren: :siren:

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

This is excellent and thanks to all the committee members (and especially you Maugrim!) for your hard work. Since the balance is currently quite healthy (and has been pretty consistently), are there any thoughts about ways to encourage take up in general, and maybe to encourage UKMT posters to bring the fund up more to increase its visibility? There's a solid sense of community here and people do post about going through tough times materially or mentally, but assuming that not everyone who posted something like that applied, and that not everyone who applied posted, I'd imagine there are some more people who could benefit who haven't applied because they don't know about it/don't want to ask.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

It's literally this. Absolutely pathetic.

One of the benefits of Sensible Leadership is that the Leadership defines what is Sensible and it would be Insensible to change their opinion. After all, how would anybody know what is Sensible if they went around changing their opinion?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

LordVorbis posted:

So if you need a doctor now what? Just die?

My docs has had all e-services turned off since June or so, because they had a 60% no show rate on online appointments.

Now the amazing modern system is if you want an appointment for anything non 999 worthy you ring at 8am, and get engaged tone and redial immediately for at least 40+ minutes. Then you get put in a queue of max 5 people (why they can't have a bigger queue system I don't know)

You then explain your problem and they triage you and you get a call back later in the day from the doc. It's utter balls and for someone pathologically afraid of phone calls it's quite fun making 200+ calls whenever you need to talk to a doc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1345989480113709056?s=19

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wow... they're so poo poo...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Public Health 101 - If the public don't follow the rules then either the rules weren't fit for purpose or the communication and enforcement wasn't fit for purpose. (Or it was an unwinnable situation, but the existence of other places where this wasn't the case nullifies this.)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Our government isn't utterly terrible, it's that British people are uniquely unwilling to follow rules

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Gort posted:

Our government isn't utterly terrible, it's that British people are uniquely unwilling to follow rules
It's not unique. Look at the yanks and their near riots in the street.
Were the quieter, "that doesn't apply to me" crowd, over the "dying is part of my god given rights!"

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Israel's per-capita numbers are very skewed by who they consider a "person".

e: I can't find any actual evidence but I'm willing to bet my place in the vaccine line that the same thing is happening in Bahrain.

I saw somebody mentioning in the Covid thread a few days ago that Bahrain has approved the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine, and has received enough of it that it's widely available. Their numbers are up because they're early adopters of a vaccine most of the rest of the world considers untested.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And yet it's the closest to a traditional inactivated virus vaccine and has undergone Phase 3 trials in Brazil. Most of the opposition to further rollout there seems to be political between São Paulo and Bolsonaro rather than a matter of science.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Niric posted:

This is excellent and thanks to all the committee members (and especially you Maugrim!) for your hard work. Since the balance is currently quite healthy (and has been pretty consistently), are there any thoughts about ways to encourage take up in general, and maybe to encourage UKMT posters to bring the fund up more to increase its visibility? There's a solid sense of community here and people do post about going through tough times materially or mentally, but assuming that not everyone who posted something like that applied, and that not everyone who applied posted, I'd imagine there are some more people who could benefit who haven't applied because they don't know about it/don't want to ask.

The income has actually tracked surprisingly well with payouts over the course of the year. It started out very healthy, around 3k from initial donations, and slowly reduced over the course of the year as requests slightly exceeded donations for most months. By the end of Nov we were sitting around 2k, but some generous Christmas spirit has put us right back up to 3k again. (We have a largish request approved but not paid out yet though, so it's actually more like 2.5k.)

What I'm saying is if many more people applied we might be forced to actually pick and choose who gets help in order not to run out of funds. And that's fine! It's what the committee is for!

It does feel like some of very worst-off people aren't always comfortable asking for help. I don't know what is to be done about that. But if lack of funds is impacting on anyone's health, whether mental or physical, I would certainly encourage them to apply.

E: also I'm going to put a reminder in every post I make about the Fund - if you want to stand for committee membership please let us know here or in the Discord!

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 4, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Look, the polls say that people continue to blame the public over the government for the extent of the epidemic, so Labour is very sensibly taking the majority view!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Pistol_Pete posted:

Look, the polls say that people continue to blame the public over the government for the extent of the epidemic, so Labour is very sensibly taking the majority view!

Oh gently caress it's literally this isn't it.

Sometimes I go and read an article about Jacinda Ardern just to feel like good things can happen somewhere in the world.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Sometimes I go and read an article about Jacinda Ardern just to feel like good things can happen somewhere in the world.

Better things happen the further away you get from England :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

loving hell she's vile. For context all the guy did was (accurately) say that her Tweets have contributed to an ongoing campaign against the NHS.

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1346029868153245696?s=19

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Focus groups will have shown that pointing out the government's mistakes from the sidelines has limited popularity, while the masochistic Uk public like nothing more than a finger-wagging authority figure telling them what naughty boys and girls they've been.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Unfortunately for Labour, no one considers any of their MPs to be authority figures

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
It's not defamation when the public knows she is already an absolute twat

PS- worth reporting some of those Tweets (esp those naming his employer and threatening his job) as targeted harassment.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 4, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

It's not unique. Look at the yanks and their near riots in the street.
Were the quieter, "that doesn't apply to me" crowd, over the "dying is part of my god given rights!"

To be clear, my post was sarcasm.

I think that if - back in March or early on in the pandemic - the UK and US governments had both said, "Coronavirus is a huge deal and will cause thousands of deaths if we don't get ahead of it" and instituted a proper, month-long lockdown with places of work closed, schools closed, pubs closed, and shops closed except for the absolute essentials (which is a white-list, incidentally, if you're not on it you can't open), we'd not even be talking about coronavirus now.

I think people would've gone along with it as long as the rules were clear and enforceable, and the drastic nature of the rules would've meant they wouldn't have to be in place for long.

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 4, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Maugrim posted:

Don't read this one then.

Or https://twitter.com/bernardchickey/status/1336013247544131586?s=19

I'm sure NZ is great compared to the UK in many ways, but it's pretty hosed in others.

e: or https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/09-12-2020/new-report-shows-the-truly-dire-state-of-nz-housing/

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 4, 2021

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1346036528288587776?s=20

Close everything. Also keeping schools open should be the top priority. So says the Shadow Education Secretary that's only in the job because they binned off the previous one clearly because she was a bit mouthy about backing the teaching unions. This party is loving disgusting.

Also they've focus-grouped ice rinks into the equation, along with zoos, I guess.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Judge in the Assange case just refused extradition, because the US prison system is so hosed it would destroy his mental health while simultaneously being unable to prevent him committing suicide.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ewan posted:

It's not defamation when the public knows she is already an absolute twat

Yeah but the goal isn't to be right it's to use your money and power to humiliate and leave destitute anyone that stands up to them.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1346049779550343168

They'll probably just do it anyway.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Gort posted:

I think that if - back in March or early on in the pandemic - the UK and US governments had both said, "Coronavirus is a huge deal and will cause thousands of deaths if we don't get ahead of it" and instituted a proper, month-long lockdown with places of work closed, schools closed, pubs closed, and shops closed except for the absolute essentials (which is a white-list, incidentally, if you're not on it you can't open), we'd not even be talking about coronavirus now.

You do this - full lockdown for a month, and you make every single arrival into your country stay in a quarantine hotel by themselves for two weeks. And you make sure transport from airport to the hotel is in a quarantine bus, not a taxi or whatever.

And you test people in high risk groups like clockwork.

If, somehow, you get new cases, isolate and test all contacts and contacts of contacts immediately.

Then you have what China (and New Zealand) have done and you get effectively zero community spread and domestic consumption, education, healthcare etc can carry on like normal.

It continues to absolutely amaze me that many people still think there's no way to beat it without vaccines.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Trouble is, now there's a vaccine the rich and connected can get hold of, their personal incentive to control the virus just vanished.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So the judge agreed that assange committed the crimes he was accused of just that he'd kill himself if extradited. Great precedent

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Judge in the Assange case just refused extradition, because the US prison system is so hosed it would destroy his mental health while simultaneously being unable to prevent him committing suicide.

It's a shame that his strategy to sit in the embassy and wait out the Sweedish sexual assault/rape charges worked*, but I suppose it's good he isn't being tortured in a US prison for facilitating leaks.

*= But that is more due to the a country having statute of limitations for any crime, much less sexual assault ones. And having it as low as under ten years.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They're going to run out of money eventually

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1346052505587867648?s=19

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jose posted:

So the judge agreed that assange committed the crimes he was accused of just that he'd kill himself if extradited. Great precedent

Yeah and the reason he'd be likely to kill himself is because he'd have to be kept in permanent solitary to avoid being murdered by US intelligence agencies. Sorry, because "special measures" would have to be used in his incarceration due to the "hostile attitude" of US Intel agencies.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jose posted:

Without having read the judgement, extradition hearings are not really about did you do the crime or not*, they are more concerned with how likely are your human rights to be ignored or if you are likely to get a fair trial if extradited.

* = There can be overlap if you are arguing that what you have been charged with is an offense known to law or if you could have been prosecuted for said offense for the country you are in.
Also if the argument is that the evidence against you is so sketchy that it shouldn't proceed to be before a court, but it would have to be obvious on the facts. Extradition courts are clear that they aren't to be used as a dress rehearsal for the main court case. Even if that does sometimes end up happening.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Does anyone have that thing posted his weekend showing there is general support for closing schools? I think it was about 60% if you added strongly support and somewhat support together. I’ve just had a scroll through but couldn’t see it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I mean nobody denies he did what he was accused of, and the inhuman conditions of the US prison system absolutely should be reason to deny extradition. In fact I think that's the only legal grounds to oppose extradition he had.

Worth noting this is only a preliminary ruling that will definitely be appealed though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol the judge specifically cited Jeffrey Epstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sanford posted:

Does anyone have that thing posted his weekend showing there is general support for closing schools? I think it was about 60% if you added strongly support and somewhat support together. I’ve just had a scroll through but couldn’t see it.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/survey-results/daily/2020/12/30/2ac0b/3

67%