Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

i am cartoon chris, the christmas tree, destroyer of worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Considering the other trees in the area, COVID Tree is probably the least threatening...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
the war on christmas has gone too far

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

other people posted:

the war on christmas has gone too far

In the War On Christmas, Christmas has turned to using its biological weapons program.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

zer0spunk posted:

i am cartoon chris, the christmas tree, destroyer of worlds

I was picturing an inflatable suit that they wore but not one with them inside, shedding viral load, (merrily) right out the loving powered exhaust.

Amazing.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Masque of the Green Tree

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Cthulu Carl posted:

Considering the other trees in the area, COVID Tree is probably the least threatening...

I came in this thread to vent and be worried not to find true love.

no seriously my city is now experiencing 122-190 new cases a day, up from like 16-40 cases a day pre-holidays.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
i was really hoping the inflatable costume was going to be one of those T-rex costumes, but with a hat or something

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

gay picnic defence posted:

More likely the dude in the suit had covid and the little fan that keeps the suit inflated blew his covid everywhere

Picked it like a dirty nose

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
An acquaintance posted a strong statement about everyone needing to get the vaccine to Facebook, only to have some white guy, whose employment info is "Holistic Health Professional", disingenuously exploit the very real historical misdeeds of some in the medical community against minority communities to rip into the acquaintance for wanting to push the vaccine on everyone.

How the gently caress does one respond to this bullshit in a way that is persuasive to folks who don't, through no fault of their own, have a lot of trust in modern science and medicine? I'm not talking about the mentally-ill grifter that's on an anti-science crusade, but the average onlooker who might not have had education or experiences that foster this kind of social trust (or have had outright negative experiences!).

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Delete Facebook.

It’s the only real option I found when asking myself the same sort of question a couple of months ago.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a hard time keeping up with this thread so end up skipping pages at a time, but in case it hasn't been shared here's another story that makes it clear that just looking at deaths is a grossly inadequate way to assess the risk of the virus:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/28/health/covid-psychosis-mental.html

tl/dr: In a small but non-zero number of cases mild coronavirus infections lead to psychotic symptoms in adults in the 20-50 year age bracket.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ive been banging on about the psychosis for a bit

you're gonna see at least a few more suicide bombers and car attacks and poo poo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ive been banging on about the psychosis for a bit

you're gonna see at least a few more suicide bombers and car attacks and poo poo

Cool - like I said, I fall behind on this thread a lot. I just think it's important that people are aware since so much of the covidiot disinformation seems to push death rates as the end-all and be-all.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hamburlgar posted:

Delete Facebook.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Deleting Facebook just ignores the problem, though. Other folks are still being exposed to this poo poo. Unless we're talking about deleting all of Facebook (fine by me, but not going to happen), me tuning out just leaves the bad actors free rein. Ideally, the acquaintance would delete the anti-vaxxers' comments and unfriend then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Deleting Facebook just ignores the problem, though. Other folks are still being exposed to this poo poo. Unless we're talking about deleting all of Facebook (fine by me, but not going to happen), me tuning out just leaves the bad actors free rein. Ideally, the acquaintance would delete the anti-vaxxers' comments and unfriend then.
Just get as many people as you can off of Facebook. It's basically brain poison.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Hamburlgar posted:

Delete Facebook.

It’s the only real option I found when asking myself the same sort of question a couple of months ago.

Facebook is still the go to place for organizing stuff my wife and I like to do around here and I'm just waiting for something else to take its place so I can remove it from my life.

If I knew that someone was going to do something that was going to purge Facebook from existence tomorrow I wouldn't tell a soul, I'd just watch it happen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Email? Text?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
More like big arse cycling events, ice reports for ice fishing, trail reports to see what's currently in decent condition for fat biking etc. An email list would work great for a smaller close knit group but it's kinda hard to convince the entire cycling community, angler community etc to move to another platform en masse. It's gonna take FB dying or something new and much much better coming along for a user migration of that scale to happen.

EDIT: this past weekend ice fishing is a great example. The lake went kaboom and people immediately jumped on facebook and were able to find out where the ice gave way and people started communicating how to get people suddenly on the wrong side of a pressure ridge back to shore.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 4, 2021

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
There's a case to be made that it's your civic duty to delete Facebook given you recognize what it's done (doing) to your society. You're not empowered to do great harm to Facebook but you do have the agency to opt out, be a conscientious objector. That's not nothing and it would be a noble sacrifice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Facebook desperately needs regulation and oversight. They (and Youtube) spent years profiting off conspiracy theories and radicalization, and it is only recently the US and EU have started taking any meaningful actions against them.

My own experience with Facebook is generally okay (except for what seems like even more intrusive advertising) but I have always taken steps to limit my involvement with it - it is always disabled on my phone, my friends list is small and curated, and I only run it in a sandbox tab.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gdpr and ccpa (california) and the ny privacy law are basically tailored by lobbyists to be hella annoying for anyone but a tech major. tech majors have hosed it up too tho lol. ccpa and ccpa 2 is less so, it was literally a billionaire pissed off about fb invading his privacy and he bought the law

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is so quintessentially corporate hellworld, do something incredibly stupid and when it goes terribly choose some meaningless detail to focus on instead of owning up to the stupid decision

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Some tips for Facebook.

If you have a minimum a few hundred FB friends, delete all the ones that you wouldn't talk to if you saw them in public. There's no reason to have a lot of friends on FB that you never talk with.

Use the "Hide all posts from...." option in your FB timeline. I effectively hid everyone from my timeline except for some FB groups I'm part of and use it mainly for the Messenger option. Also, you can still deactivate your FB account and have the option to use FB Messenger.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Cool cool cool cool cool cool I get to go back into the office on Thursday and no WFH planned going forward. We are dead in the middle of a second wave and this hardly factors in holiday travel and what could come from that. :shrug: guess I’ll die

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

No one pointed out the most important aspect of deleting your facebook account: by doing so you’re doing your part to erode their network effect lock-in on everyone else. Eventually if enough people do it they’ll pass a threshold where they lose efficacy and the rest will collapse in on its own weight.

If you want to foster a community make a discord server

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of psychosis, here's a long twitter thread about anti-mask fuckers being fuckers in a shopping mall and starting fights with people
https://twitter.com/SamBraslow/status/1345916823951167488
https://twitter.com/SamBraslow/status/1345925513001357312

QuarkJets posted:

This is so quintessentially corporate hellworld, do something incredibly stupid and when it goes terribly choose some meaningless detail to focus on instead of owning up to the stupid decision

Yeah everyone who went to that party made a dumb decision, if the superspreader hadn't been wearing that costume they likely would have infected everyone anyway

Cugel the Clever posted:

Trump's insistence on repealing Section 230 and destroying social media may have been a "stopped watch" moment where he was right for the wrong reasons. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sydney NSW reported their first day of zero community spread since Dec 15! That's encouraging, although it's way too soon to celebrate and start relaxing.
https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1345883687808684033

Melbourne Vic had 3 locally acquired cases, we're not quite there yet
https://twitter.com/VicGovDHHS/status/1345854435751325696

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This mural did wonders for local adoption of masks in my city even before it became required by law to mask up when entering any business or store or whatever. Our mask usage rate is among the highest in the US (I live in Seattle) because we were one of the first really badly hit areas in the US; we know what the gently caress this thing can do because we had a US Navy hospital ship sent to us (not sure it was ever used though, just having it was bad enough) and they turned all of our parks and CenturyLink Stadium into emergency field hospitals.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of psychosis, here's a long twitter thread about anti-mask fuckers being fuckers in a shopping mall and starting fights with people
https://twitter.com/SamBraslow/status/1345916823951167488
https://twitter.com/SamBraslow/status/1345925513001357312

How has this happened in the USA and nobody got shot idgi

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ephex posted:

How has this happened in the USA and nobody got shot idgi

They're all white

Also, probably not paid enough to deal with this bullshit

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

What are the recommendations for masks for someone who needs to be heard? I am teaching and I think people said the half respirators are good?

I found one goon who said they ordered this one - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IF7RCU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6MW8FbJN4Z8CG

Any other recommendations? People seem to like their envomasks?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WrenP-Complete posted:

What are the recommendations for masks for someone who needs to be heard? I am teaching and I think people said the half respirators are good?

I found one goon who said they ordered this one - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IF7RCU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6MW8FbJN4Z8CG

Any other recommendations? People seem to like their envomasks?

The CSPAM thread recommends the Honeywell North RU8500 Half Mask, it's more expensive but it has a speech diaphragm which makes it easier for you to be heard and it also has a soft silicone seal which gives a good fit and makes it a LOT more comfortable to wear for long periods. You'll probably need to cover the exhalation valve with some sort of material if you care about possibly breathing covid all over your students but that's really easy.
https://www.honeywellsafety.com/Products/Respiratory_Protection/Honeywell_North%C2%AE_RU8500_Half_Mask.aspx

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I’m in a similar boat and I can’t find the Honeywell in stock anywhere that will let you buy one mask instead of a case. Is this 3M one any good? https://www.gmesupply.com/3m-secure-click-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-with-speaking-diaphragm

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cugel the Clever posted:

An acquaintance posted a strong statement about everyone needing to get the vaccine to Facebook, only to have some white guy, whose employment info is "Holistic Health Professional", disingenuously exploit the very real historical misdeeds of some in the medical community against minority communities to rip into the acquaintance for wanting to push the vaccine on everyone.

How the gently caress does one respond to this bullshit in a way that is persuasive to folks who don't, through no fault of their own, have a lot of trust in modern science and medicine? I'm not talking about the mentally-ill grifter that's on an anti-science crusade, but the average onlooker who might not have had education or experiences that foster this kind of social trust (or have had outright negative experiences!).

Delete the responder post. Nuke anything from that person from orbit.

For bonus points, edit visibility permissions so they are unable to see the post at all

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 4, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Christ, I hadn’t heard about this

https://twitter.com/shamuskhan/status/1345819914842550273?s=21

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

What are your thoughts on switching over to a one dose vaccine strategy since the rollout how been such a clusterfuck (because of course it is)?

The general idea is that we can vaccinate 100 million people at 80% effectiveness vs 50 million people at 95% effectiveness. Makes sense to try to get ahead of this new strain.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

pro starcraft loser posted:

What are your thoughts on switching over to a one dose vaccine strategy since the rollout how been such a clusterfuck (because of course it is)?

The general idea is that we can vaccinate 100 million people at 80% effectiveness vs 50 million people at 95% effectiveness. Makes sense to try to get ahead of this new strain.

Isn't there a 4 week lag between doses? With the first doses going out now, there are now four weeks where we see the impact of a single vaccine dose and can respond accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ymgve posted:

Isn't there a 4 week lag between doses? With the first doses going out now, there are now four weeks where we see the impact of a single vaccine dose and can respond accordingly.

The problem is that some vaccines are being held back now for the second dose because there is no guarantee that stock will be available for the second dose if they don't.