Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CharlestheHammer posted:

Okay we are seeing more official tournament results and it’s actually suprising. Not only are proper traps in the format but rogue decks are topping fairly regularly.

VFD turbo seems to be losing steam as virtual world bricks like old school monarchs. Plus traps crush VFD

Drytron combo deck of choice but their boards aren’t crazy right now. A couple negates at best.

Hal is hardly seeing any play and Zoo is back baby.

So weirdly enough banning linkross caused the power level of the format to loving crash. I thought cross was the real problem card but I didn’t think it was this bad.

So all in all this is the best format in years and way way better than dragon link infernoble format

It's really strange, people were getting these giant fuckoff boards before Linkross was even printed using the Halq/Auroradon combo, but I guess the Jet Synchron/O-Lion ban actually solved that problem? I really don't understand why that didn't come back in force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It was definitely the goto way to easily poo poo out materials without running into any xeno locks.

Drytron have the potential to get ridiculous but they lock you to nomis so thats a bottleneck on boards building.

Zoos can be troublesome but everyone knows them front to back so you can totally sidedeck against them very easily. Theyre not at fullpower, 4 of their core pieces used to dominate the meta are at 1, so they wont top the meta. And with the recent resurgence those are definitely not going off the list.

Virtual world seemed like the new hotness but lack consistency, despite the sheer power of VFD. Bricks 4 dayz. This is less of an issue in the OCG (for all decks) because of Maxx C.

The meta will probably shake up with some rogues and old faces climbing the ladder. This is good.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 25, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well the main meta deck is Zoo eldlich but that deck has consistency issues as well. It’s very easy to only see one side of your deck.

Also dogmatics is weird as it’s mainly used to give rogue a huge power boost but doesn’t do that much for meta.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anyone have a shortlist of good budget staples? (Effect Veiler, Solemn Judgment, et al.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

Anyone have a shortlist of good budget staples? (Effect Veiler, Solemn Judgment, et al.)

You could grab the hand traps from Duel Devastator, the Solemn Package, Nibiru has a $9 printing now, Dark Ruler No More, Psy-Framegear Gamma off the top of my head.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is absolutely perfect. It's hard for me to justify spending $10 on a card right now, but this is fantastic. I might buy it for myself, depending.

Now to just decide which budget deck I actually want to make. I've been considering Lunalights, since the price of them crashed after the Wolf ban and I love the flavor, but I imagine they're probably hot garbage now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Shaddolls and Dinos are pretty budget because of the structure decks. They won’t be meta because they need some more expensive stuff to supplement them but with duel devastate you can make a functioning deck with either

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Dinos are good. Have you read miscellaneousaurus?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cool. I did a tiny bit more Googling and research. If I want to be lazy and get as few random singles as possible, how would this shopping list be?

3x Dinomasher's Fury
1x Duel Devastator Box
3x Double Evolution Pill
3x Overtex Quoatus

Anything else I'm obviously missing (aside from sleeves and a deckbox)? Any other extra deck staples besides the ones in the box?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 25, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

Cool. I did a tiny bit more Googling and research. If I want to be lazy and get as few random singles as possible, how would this shopping list be?

3x Dinomasher's Fury
1x Duel Devastator Box
3x Double Evolution Pill
3x Overtex Quoatus

Anything else I'm obviously missing (aside from sleeves and a deckbox)? Any other extra deck staples besides the ones in the box?

So here's the one thing I need to warn you about before you spend your money. Duel Devastator has ONE of each of the cards in its contents. If you wanted to get a playset of any of the set's contents, you're going to need to either buy three copies of Duel Devastator or load up on singles of the extras you need.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

So here's the one thing I need to warn you about before you spend your money. Duel Devastator has ONE of each of the cards in its contents. If you wanted to get a playset of any of the set's contents, you're going to need to either buy three copies of Duel Devastator or load up on singles of the extras you need.
That seems okay, for the most part? If I find there's something like a hand trap I need more of, I can pick a couple up later? I don't need the deck to be top tier, I just want something for locals and maaaaaybe regionals once it's safe to go to those again.

I miss sitting in front of another person while I play Mornington Crescent with them.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 25, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

That seems okay, for the most part? If I find there's something like a hand trap I need more of, I can pick a couple up later?

Yeah, and most of the hand traps should be cheap enough. I'm just giving you a heads up in case you buy a box expecting a full playset of the ghost girls or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, and most of the hand traps should be cheap enough. I'm just giving you a heads up in case you buy a box expecting a full playset of the ghost girls or something.
Cool. Looks like I left the Discord at some point and the link in the OP is busted. Can I get one so I can talk with people about deckbuilding, maybe some sims play?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://discord.gg/tkE6pJQ

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i have purchased 3 dinosmasher's fury structure decks for 69 australian dollars (nice)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
World Legacy Lore Facts: dingirsu is Avram

This concludes World Legacy Lore Facts

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

...n-no? Dingirsu is a completely separate character.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

When he said "Check THIS out!", what did you think he was referring to? Obviously the ability to become a giant golden centaur. furthermore,

[My actual reasoning is as follows:
- Lee, along with the other Crusadias, built the Mekk-Knight of the Morning Star (biblical reference to Lucifer) in World Legacy's Memories. Lee and the Morning Star are both associated with silver in contrast to the rainbow colors of the other Mekk-Knights.
- Dingirsu is the 'Orcust of the Evening Star' (deliberate reversal of Morning Star) and has elements of Mekk-Knight design, most notably his head.
- Avram has already shown a predilection for gold, centaurs and mekk-knights, what with his color scheme, his name being a variation on the Latin 'aurum' for gold, his crusadia form being a centaur, and inheriting the power of Mekk-Knight Blue Sky.
- The being created when Lee and Avram combine their powers is Avida, the "Twin Star God" in the original Japanese, which is a reference to Lee being the Morning Star and Avram being the Evening Star, and is made up of contrasting colors of gold and silver.

The other, more boring answer is that Dingirsu is an automaton built by Longirsu in the image of Avram the same way he built Galatea in the image of Ib, but the part where a whole bunch of cards are dedicated to the latter and the former doesn't come up at all is...weird, given that Galatea is an explicit reference to the Greek myth of the same name and also the myth of Orpheus (which is part of the Orcust's Japanese name), and Avram is neither Ningirsu's lost love or dead. Obviously Dingirsu has a lot of visual reference to Longirsu himself with the World Legacy Shield and Lance but the part where he's a gold mekk-knight centaur, the three traits associated by the World Legacy setting with Avram, stands out to me, especially when Longirsu shows up later as a mekk-knight and is less gold and not a centaur.]

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Those bits where Longirsu shows up later are after everything resets and he decides to protect the world. He's explicitly Dingirsu (he's also all the other Girsu's at different points in life).

The order is

Yugipedia posted:

"Beckoned by the World Chalice" → "Ningirsu the World Chalice Warrior" → "Longirsu, the Orcust Orchestrator" → "Dingirsu, the Orcust of the Evening Star" → "Girsu, the Orcust Mekk-Knight".

Also it shows him making it on Orcust Crescendo. He presumably shows up later as not a centaur and less gold because the centaur body got broken.

The Avrum order is as follows

Yugipedia posted:

"Chosen by the World Chalice" → "Auram the World Chalice Blademaster" → "Mekk-Knight Avram" → "Crusadia Maximus" → "Crusadia Equimax" → "Mekk-Knight Crusadia Avramax"

Notably, Mekk-Knight Crusadia Avramax is in the World Legacy Cliffhanger art (a terrible translation, it should be climax). This was also all explicitly spelled out in official konami lore books that they sold and were subsequently translated.

None of the crusadias were involved in making Mekk-Knight Morningstar either, that's why it's memories. That's just Lee, remembering a long time ago when she was researching the World Legacies, with her fellow scientists.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 4, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Is this a bad time to tell you we have an official lore guide for the World Legacy storyline? :v:

https://ygorganization.com/atinytaleoftimeconcerningwarbetweenfriends/

Dingy is gold (or brass, rather) because it's literally made from all of the remaining Orcust.

('Check THIS out!' is one of the dumbest loving changes the TCG has ever made and I am STILL incredibly salty over it. :argh:)

EDIT: MAGMAR! :argh:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vandar posted:

Is this a bad time to tell you we have an official lore guide for the World Legacy storyline? :v:

https://ygorganization.com/atinytaleoftimeconcerningwarbetweenfriends/

Dingy is gold (or brass, rather) because it's literally made from all of the remaining Orcust.

('Check THIS out!' is one of the dumbest loving changes the TCG has ever made and I am STILL incredibly salty over it. :argh:)

EDIT: MAGMAR! :argh:

BEATEN FOOL!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I hope your dumb old robots rust away. :argh:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vandar posted:

I hope your dumb old robots rust away. :argh:

Nothing rusts the Ancient Gears.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

custom card :justpost: https://imgur.com/a/J9o3afj

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Navigate Guardian is an excellent pun.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Here's a highly tentative pure Ursarctic build I've finagled together that I think I might try to make once the deck build pack containing them comes out in the TCG:

Fun fact: while the in-theme monsters are 'dark synchros', you can also synchro summon using the level 8 tuners and the level 1 dark synchro to make regular level 9 synchros, so you get access to the cool pile of level 9s that virtual world is currently running around with. you can even resummon shenshen if you have a hand trap in the graveyard since none of them overlap with the ursarctics at all!

more importantly: robot bears

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 25, 2021

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I wanna say I'd seen Deep Sea Diva and Neptabyss the Atlantean Prince used in bears as well, because Diva can grab Nepty and go into the level 1 without too much hassle. Lithium did a video on it here, though even he was kinda iffy on it because you just keep going negative in order to make basic plays.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres a bunch of decks that can go into polari super fast.
Fun fact since polaris' summon isnt a synchro summon, all those monsters with the "cant be used as synchro material" would work.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 28, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Thought experiment time. What ATK would a monster with no abilities need to have to be playable, assuming it can be normal summoned and doesn't have any specific interactions to bring it out for free? How much bigger than Gene-Warped Warwolf does it have to be?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The answer is 4000.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ungulateman posted:

Thought experiment time. What ATK would a monster with no abilities need to have to be playable, assuming it can be normal summoned and doesn't have any specific interactions to bring it out for free? How much bigger than Gene-Warped Warwolf does it have to be?

I feel like we can rule out just a raw attack boost at all, honestly. Remember that we've got a small stock of normal summonable big-boy beaters with downsides that would be a lot less bad now (Jirai Gumo and the like), and similarly normal summonable monsters that can spike in attack power briefly (Injection Fairy Lily for example), and those don't see play.

You'd probably need the monster to be in some way searchable by the right archetype. The thing's not gonna last long when it does hit the field, but if it had the reliability to turn up in the hand at the right time it could see some niche play. Some archetypes could benefit from being able to slap down a big boy that could punch some teeth in right out the gate, he just needs to be reliably called on.

EDIT: or 4k, I suppose, yeah.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You could do some law of the normal casual deck for funsies. I used to run normals in a Pacifis deck but there's better ways to run that now. Still, heat wave is amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ungulateman posted:

Probably around 1500 to 1600 if it's in a deck where it can get attack boosted easily(like say Water decks with stuff like The Legendary Ocean in it), if we have to take it completely isolated then probably 1800

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Probably around 1500 to 1600 if it's in a deck where it can get attack boosted easily(like say Water decks with stuff like The Legendary Ocean in it), if we have to take it completely isolated then probably 1800

Maybe for the Metal Raiders format :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ungulateman posted:

Make it a 2000 ATK Tuner with a usable Type and Attribute, and that might do it. Just completely steal Angel Trumpeter's lunch. (Or, hell, make a DARK Fiend equivalent, that'll probably see niche play.)

drrockso20 posted:

Charles Bukowski posted:

I miss the mid 2000s, too. :smith:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 3, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Well I meant for bare minimum of being usable, honestly I miss the days when the average deck was mostly "beater" monsters with just enough of other types of card or archetype variance to add spice to each deck, was much more fun to play or watch than the average meta for the game has been since I came back to it a couple years ago(where it basically ends up being solitaire if the person making the deck who goes first was reasonably competent at it and the other person doesn't have a lucky starting hand to counterit)

And yes I know Duel Links is a thing but that just feels way less satisfying than the real thing or even playing on an online simulator

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Well I meant for bare minimum of being usable, honestly I miss the days when the average deck was mostly "beater" monsters with just enough of other types of card or archetype variance to add spice to each deck, was much more fun to play or watch than the average meta for the game has been since I came back to it a couple years ago(where it basically ends up being solitaire if the person making the deck who goes first was reasonably competent at it and the other person doesn't have a lucky starting hand to counterit)

And yes I know Duel Links is a thing but that just feels way less satisfying than the real thing or even playing on an online simulator
Have you heard of Goat Format?

I've never met a single person who plays Goat IRL who isn't exactly the kind of person you'd expect to play a niche and expensive nostalgia Yu-Gi-Oh format where Metamorphosis is legal, but...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Have you heard of Goat Format?

I've never met a single person who plays Goat IRL who isn't exactly the kind of person you'd expect to play a niche and expensive nostalgia Yu-Gi-Oh format where Metamorphosis is legal, but...

There's a reason I advocate so hard for the main game to have a hard reboot and not just as a side format

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone just needs to buy big into Speed Duels :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've been getting really into watching Youtube videos of people playing weirdass formats, and it's made me realize that anyone who's big on Goat Format is not being creative enough. There are way more interesting formats.

I've especially been enjoying Cimo's two different 'historical' series right now. The History of Yu-Gi-Oh is him and MBT going through and making period-accurate 'meta' decks at every significant point in the game's life; the last video was Invasion of Chaos pre-banlist update, which I'd probably call the tail end of Goat Format, and it's interesting how little variance there is in that era; most good decks in any given format were about 70% just the same cards unless they were doing a gimmick like Exodia or Magical Scientist. Meanwhile the Progression Series is him and Nhymnim going through and building decks one booster pack box at a time. They're up to the early Synchro era, and honestly if I were to pick any era to freeze at and play forever it'd probably be that one. Archetypes are getting plentiful enough and good enough to actually be playable relatively cheaply, but it's also still possible to play a 'good cards with a game plan' hodge-podge deck and see success.