Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

10000 Sex Arses posted:

10,000 Sex Arses would be a great username.

Could be an x-rated (and very much longer) 99 bottles of beer on the wall

oh you did it lol congrats there, 10000 Sex Arses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

hobbesmaster posted:

what does a collapsed justice system mean in practice

the cuts to legal aid, aka subsidised access to justice for commonfolk, mean that most people are no longer eligible (2+ minimum wage earners in your household means you dont get it) and so if you are accused of a crime you have to pay out of pocket for your own lawyer or try to represent yourself in the byzantine UK legal process.
if you pay for your own defence and are proven innocent, you are only reimbursed by the government for the paltry amount of legal aid that they wouldn't give you anyway.
so you are charged a loving huge amount of money whether falsely accused or not.

thats why that tory nonce MP or whatever had to defend himself against some kind of allegation and was found innocent but had to sell his house anyway. most people do not have an extra house to sell

the bottom has completely fallen out

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

oh yeah there's that too, forgot about that

also the police doesn't go after some types of violent crime in certain areas

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013
attention!

the virus formerly known as the wuhan, kung, or china virus/flu has mutated

in light of your renowned achievement, it is now known as the albion affliction

additionally, "long covid" has now been more accurately named as "having the american aches"

islanders, do your part, for once, to promote the use of proper terminology across the forums so we may all gain greater understanding

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

limey disease

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Everything's bigger in sex arse

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Pestilencious Albion

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we’re blaming south africa now for the new varient , problem solved

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
lol

https://twitter.com/AlexWhite1812/status/1345861724843474945

Edit: That little bump in between March and April is when the first national lock down was triggered btw.

Dravs has issued a correction as of 12:42 on Jan 4, 2021

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

the cuts to legal aid, aka subsidised access to justice for commonfolk, mean that most people are no longer eligible (2+ minimum wage earners in your household means you dont get it) and so if you are accused of a crime you have to pay out of pocket for your own lawyer or try to represent yourself in the byzantine UK legal process.
if you pay for your own defence and are proven innocent, you are only reimbursed by the government for the paltry amount of legal aid that they wouldn't give you anyway.
so you are charged a loving huge amount of money whether falsely accused or not.

thats why that tory nonce MP or whatever had to defend himself against some kind of allegation and was found innocent but had to sell his house anyway. most people do not have an extra house to sell

the bottom has completely fallen out

wow, I didn't know it was this bad in the UK. Impressive

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
as with a lot of the insane stuff our government did after 2010 on top of general austerity was trying to either run things that shouldn't be run at a profit at a profit or making them self financed. the justice system has to be financially self sufficient because of these changes and of course thats an insane idea

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jose posted:

as with a lot of the insane stuff our government did after 2010 on top of general austerity was trying to either run things that shouldn't be run at a profit at a profit or making them self financed. the justice system has to be financially self sufficient because of these changes and of course thats an insane idea

this seems like a return to a much older idea when the governmental positions were unpaid/poorly paid and the staff was expected to be part of the household of the office holder. the flip side to this was that corruption was the reward for all the labor.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
seems to be more about restricting access to justice to the rich, to an even higher degree than before

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Someone posted a couple of days ago (was reading unsigned in on another device) about furlough etc.

I would just like to remind people that there are a large number of people in the UK who have had no financial support whatsoever because they went self-employed too near to the start of the crisis say within 12 months, to have any accounts to prove loss of income (round my way, there are so few jobs even in normal circumstances, that the choice is 'self-employment' or universal credit.) but for whatever reason fail the criteria for universal credit.

In more than a few cases, people lost near enough 2 months work early last year from flooding - either of their own premises, or of stock held in storage containers - local storage container depot got flooded out so stock, house contents of people drying out their homes or moving house, flooding of customers homes or other premises, had barely recovered from that and the costs involved when the covid hit.
I just saw in our high street this morning signs on a new bar and grill that had planned to open in March/April after refurbishing a derelict building that they don't qualify for a penny piece either yet other than selling the odd takeaway coffee aren't going to be able to open for months - apparently hospitality in Wales is likely to be pretty much closed until April at least).

The only equitable solution is UBI.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
EU Heroically Seals Off Island Nation to Quarantine New Bog Ape Strain

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Tier 6 tier 6

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/jimcaris/status/1346126594109276161?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tiers in heaven

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

tiers of a clown

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

bedpan posted:

this seems like a return to a much older idea when the governmental positions were unpaid/poorly paid and the staff was expected to be part of the household of the office holder. the flip side to this was that corruption was the reward for all the labor.

I think this is really the point here, because judicialization of the state and public services is a major factor for welfare for the rich since an oversized judiciary along with lots of lawyers/barristers and associated professions become a massive apparatus that generates profits and such

Jose posted:

the justice system has to be financially self sufficient because of these changes and of course thats an insane idea

given this, it seems to me that basically tories can't help but go for the self-own because they are enmeshing neoliberal economic thinking with aristocratic reactionary notions of governance ("because it is an united KINGDOM"), which of course it is a bad idea but generates enough chaos to alternate which rich idiot gets to profit in a certain turn for another to lose lmao

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
lol, I just remembered when the Tories tried to privatise probation services after running out of wiring they could strip the copper out of.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/john_lichfield/status/1346124886725566464

i bet the french wish they were nicer to us before 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

poty posted:

I had no idea the term was "Royaume-Uni". Really wish I'd tried harder to keep up with the language. :saddowns:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

were these boiled eel and small pebble sandwiches?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Syncopated posted:

seems to be more about restricting access to justice to the rich, to an even higher degree than before

i think the ability for the govertnment to financially destroy anyone they choose to falsely accuse is a nice upside,
but generally the machiavellian plan is just to funnel money and credos to themselves and pals and realise the weird libertarian dreams the current generation of the UK establishment has been sharing with eachother since they were all children in the eton/etc dining hall

coz as i said, this is already backfiring on tory MPs, afaik our MPs arent generally as rich as american politicians so they can't afford their own legal fees anymore either

everything they do ultimately backfires and does the opposite of what they want ideologically, its just that the media is so powerful in the UK that they just go on TV and say nah it worked and that becomes history

e: it really is just this absolute ideological commitment to moving everything out of the states hands into private hands and deregulating it. partly coz they are chums with all those sets of hands but also ideologically they deeply beleive that its morally wrong for the state to help anyone. mogg basically lays this out in some speech with his own personal way of reconciling libertarianism and christianity where he thinks "enforced charity" is a sin.
they have a whole "give a man a fish and you will rob him of his ability to learn to fish" ethos and genuinely beleive that since it justifies their own wealth and meanness.
they also think the state is corrupt and useless and cant run anything, which they do have insider info on tbf!

e2: i think thats where the centrists and tories have a poiint actually about the left being childish and unrealistic. it genuinely is not the function nor ever has been of the british government to uplift people and try to run a democratic society. the UK governemnt has always been as a deals broker/guarantor between members of the upper class and big money.
therefore they go "well you would actually need a revolution to change that, and naturally that means gulags and death camps" like they genuinely worried that corbyn would lead to stalin as some kind of natural law

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Jan 4, 2021

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013
coming soon! all must subscribe to a justice insurance provider and make use of its in-network telejudges, telesolicitors, and provided access to the rehabilitation services contractor or independent debt collection agent best suited for your individual needs

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

10000 Sex Arses posted:

10,000 Sex Arses would be a great username.

they were great w natalie merchant as vocalist

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sex arses, sung to the tune of wild horses

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

kecske posted:

tiers of a clown

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if being taken to court is a money-spinner for the govt then ian hislop must be funding an entire ministry out of his own pockets

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

prefect posted:

I had no idea the term was "Royaume-Uni". Really wish I'd tried harder to keep up with the language. :saddowns:

Jules Winnfield: You know what they call the UK in France?
Brett: No.
Jules Winnfield: Tell 'em, Vincent.
Vincent Vega: A Royaume-Uni
Jules Winnfield: A Royaume-Uni. You know why they call it that?
Brett: ....Because...of the Brexit system?
Jules Winnfield: Check out the UKIP brain on Brett! You're a smart motherfucker. That's right, the Brexit system!

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Tiers for fears

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/AdamRutherford/status/1346214499452395520

:negative:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Lawman 0 posted:

What's up with the UK today?

https://twitter.com/nocontextfm1/status/1346221789840633858

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/Modern_Lockey/status/1346224631297015810

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
whatever happened to farage's new anti mask party

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

whatever happened to farage's new anti mask party

I was under the impression that everywhere he went Farage was full on mask-off.

Farage is a nazi

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
whoops

this was an accidental post but for some content, local news in NI said we don't know how the new border works and won't find out for a few weeks :thumbsup:

crispix has issued a correction as of 02:05 on Jan 5, 2021

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/WEEDZ0NE/status/1346143154404118528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Haha christ thank you

He even has to explain it in the foreword that hey this is about the particular ways in which England sucks

Lots of double think, newspeak and memory holing