Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ta, with this piece of evidence that yet again directly contradicts what they’re saying, surely this time I’ll persuade them to listen to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jose posted:

Lol the judge specifically cited Jeffrey Epstein

I was just about to say that case seemed particularly relevant.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I was going to make a comment that I would be surprised if a right win hate rag supported by the rich backers using it for political gains could run out of money.

Then I realized its the Jewish Chronicle, and such a comment would be Antisemitic.....

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jose posted:

Lol the judge specifically cited Jeffrey Epstein

'Like Mr Epstein, Mr Assange could be "at risk of suicide" '

/the judge has put on some giant kenny everett preacher hands but they are making air quotes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1346033721749725185?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What... does he think a government of national unity is for..? What does he think it is???

The government already has a majority.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Iannucci, like one of his most famous comic creations Malcolm Tucker, is too smart for normal politics :smuggo:

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Rabelais D posted:

You do this - full lockdown for a month, and you make every single arrival into your country stay in a quarantine hotel by themselves for two weeks. And you make sure transport from airport to the hotel is in a quarantine bus, not a taxi or whatever.

And you test people in high risk groups like clockwork.

If, somehow, you get new cases, isolate and test all contacts and contacts of contacts immediately.

Then you have what China (and New Zealand) have done and you get effectively zero community spread and domestic consumption, education, healthcare etc can carry on like normal.

It continues to absolutely amaze me that many people still think there's no way to beat it without vaccines.
I agree with this, but worth noting schools in China were closed for months, and the "full lockdown" lasted for several months too in some cities and provinces (although was very inconsistent across the country.).. The other thing they did, and continue to do, in China was classify areas (at a local district level, i.e. a district of a city or county for a rural area) on a level of risk (low, medium, high), with local-level rules re: quarantine if you arrived somewhere having come from a medium risk district.

The other thing unique to China is how "community" security works. In cities everywhere has community security guards, whether a shopping mall, tourist district, residential block (poor and rich). While normally they just sit there smoking/sleeping/playing on their phones, it made it [i]incredibly easy to enforce some sort of lockdown rapidly as these guards could be used for access control, and e.g. could be asked to check permits or your 'health code' (a red/yellow/green code on your phone based on your travel history). In Beijing, for example, you had to get issued an entry/exit card for your residence block; they would check it upon entry as a way to ensure that guests weren't sneaking in etc.

I also agree this sort of "short and sharp" approach if taken in the UK and elsewhere would have been more effective than what we have now, but we have to recognise some of the unique aspects of China's system that allowed them to do it (and, in general, a compliant, rule-following population). I also don't get our aversion to closing our borders like e.g. China has. I flew in 3 weeks ago and not a single check upon arrival except flashing my phone to show I had done the passenger locator form (which I could have filled in with any old crap).

Ewan fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 4, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I fully buy the idea of Keir speed-running Ramsay MacDonald and splitting the labour party for a generation without even getting into power first.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the kids in korea downvoted the app they had to use for homework while on lockdown it got taken off the app store lol

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

What... does he think a government of national unity is for..? What does he think it is???

The government already has a majority.

The Tories may have a majority, but does Boris?

A government of national unity is for situations where the current PM is manifestly not up to the job, but retains enough personal support that the governing party alone can’t cleanly get rid of him using internal procedures. So the opposition decides to accept some concessions, typically a ministry or two, in return for their intervention in an intra-party struggle.

Most notably this was the way Boris’s hero Churchill got the job as PM, following the Norway debates at which Chamberlain won a narrow majority. Which was ‘seen’ by the powers-that-be as insufficient to fight a war on. I can imagine few things more poetic than the same procedure being used to end Boris’s career.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Presumably its a way to get rid of Boris?

Why are Boris and his crew in the papers saying that things are going to get worse and stricter in the future? Surely if we know that, it makes sense to just get stricter now?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The government is doing whatever it wants to do at every instance, it does not need more MPs to vote for its ideas, it also does not have any significant policy divergence with labour on the subject because labour does nothing but support the government or propose minor adjustments to their policies.

The concept is nonsense, it is meaningless drivel spoken by an idiot who can only repeat phrases he doesn't understand in the hopes that it will appease the gods and bring rains and a good harvest.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

To do what? The Tories have a majority and the opposition isn't saying anything that disagrees with them. We essentially have a GONU. This is just a liberal saying "This is a big problem so we need a BIG empty gesture".

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jose posted:

So the judge agreed that assange committed the crimes he was accused of just that he'd kill himself if extradited. Great precedent

what are the crimes

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Covid chat:

(i) vaccination roll-out to elderly persons first - I assumed that this was so if there was some undetected problem with the vaccine, then if the very elderly start to snuff it, no one will be overly exercised about it unlike if, say, a nurse or teacher got it, so 'beta testing' in a way.

(ii) Bubbles - I can't work out if people are really not understanding or deliberately not understanding the concept.

Example: After going to church yesterday morning, mother came round unannounced. I opened my windows and put on my face mask and made her a cup of tea. "Now I'm in your bubble" she said "and before I go home, I'm going to pop in on {one of my adult nieces} so I'll be in her bubble" (mother lives on her own so is allowed a bubble) "IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT" I said "you have to pick one bubble and THAT IS YOUR BUBBLE FOR EVER AND EVER AMEN".

I said pick my sister to bubble with because she and her husband have a car and can take her places or go over to her stuck-half-way-up-a-hill-in-the-middle-of-nowhere house to deal with any emergencies etc.

Anyway, I had to go into the bank this morning to do a transaction on behalf of mother and the cashier asked me how it was going. Then - she knows mum - "hows your mum" well that pressed a button so I had a little rant. She said her own father (similar age as my mum - 83) really didn't get the bubbles thing at all. The other cashier also chimed in - bank was empty except for me - and said some of her relatives - not just older ones - were also not comprehending the bubbles thing at all.

My mother has 2 degrees and an MA so she's not thick.

(iii) didn't China also literally nail people into their houses if they had covid?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus-residents-welded-inside-their-own-home/

(iv) nearly smashed my tv this morning - put the news on - big mistake, I rarely watch tv news. Fucker Johnson claiming teachers at no more risk than general population. Let him go work with 30 snivelling, snotty, vomiting sprogs cramped in a science lab for a day and say that.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 4, 2021

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Presumably its a way to get rid of Boris?

Boris would still be PM. He'd just have spend all day with people shouting at him in private to do something. Then he'd do nothing and send Starmer out on the TV to explain why doing nothing is good actually.

This differs from the current situation in the following ways:

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So it seems like Assange's plan to hide in the embassy to avoid extradition to the US 'worked' in the sense that the massive delay gave us enough time to get some high profile cases that demonstrated the inhuman conditions the USA subjects politically undesirable prisoners to. I guess it also succeeded in his unstated (but main) goal of avoiding being tried for a rape he committed in Sweden.

It did not succeed in actually keeping him out of jail but I guess succeeded in his second unstated but actually main life goal of staying in the public eye. Have to admit that he has suffered massively for his beliefs (that he should be treated as the one true warrior against Amerikkka and be able to sleep with women whether they consent or not).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

better opposition from this oval office than the actual opposition

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1346063563450888192?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Yeah it's particularly poo poo at this point to blame the public for not following the rules when the rules are so (somehow simultaneously) half-arsed and complex and change so drat often

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(iii) didn't China also literally nail people into their houses if they had covid?
I think there's a happy medium between welding people into their houses and creating a set of 'guidelines' so opaque that they fail

Guavanaut posted:

Public Health 101 - If the public don't follow the rules then either the rules weren't fit for purpose or the communication and enforcement wasn't fit for purpose.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

julian assange has done more to expose the crimes of the american war machine than almost anybody and it's a good thing that he won't be extradited.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Im still going to blame other people a bit because theyre the ones I see doing things I know I'm not allowed to.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Jose posted:

So the judge agreed that assange committed the crimes he was accused of just that he'd kill himself if extradited. Great precedent
It's not for the judge in the extradition hearing to decide if he did or did not commit the crimes alleged. What she did (which is within the remit of extradition hearings) is state that the alleged crimes would likely constitute a crime in England & Wales. This (aka "double criminality") is a key test for extradition hearings.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

crispix posted:

Yeah it's particularly poo poo at this point to blame the public for not following the rules when the rules are so (somehow simultaneously) half-arsed and complex and change so drat often

I don't think you need the (somehow simultaneously) here. They are half arsed because they are full of exceptions and loopholes, and they're complex for the same reason.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i don't think it's good to feed people into the gaping maw of the CIA but then again i don't want to set a precedent that we can't do that if we want to

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Unfortunately academic excellence does not automatically equal common sense and 'street smarts'.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus-residents-welded-inside-their-own-home/
Sure, it happened. But don't equate a few anecdotal pockets of overzealous local authorities with any sort of central or nationwide policy or common occurrence.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tarnop posted:

I don't think you need the (somehow simultaneously) here. They are half arsed because they are full of exceptions and loopholes, and they're complex for the same reason.

you don't generally expect something to be both so i think i'm happy enough with my op

i appreciate the food for thought though!!!!!! :coffeepal:

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jose posted:

better opposition from this oval office than the actual opposition

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1346063563450888192?s=20
Good thread I thought

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol i read an article the other day about a guy who pumped $1.4bn into bitcoin

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1346038379960537089?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

For fucksake, the last time I looked it was like $7000, at some point it got to $33500? Insanity

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jose posted:

I might have missed something here but the article seems to say the exact opposite?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jose posted:

Fuckin’ A! Pulled out just in time. It was low stakes, went from £10 to £90, and it was in there for two years and bought largely as a lark but still!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jose posted:

Seems like it's still fine? An 8% fluctuation is nothing for bitcoin...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ewan posted:

Unfortunately academic excellence does not automatically equal common sense and 'street smarts'.
Similarly 'common sense' apparently doesn't translate to acting sensibly in the face of unprecedented situations. You'd think in those cases everyone of an academic inclination would at least check out the latest expert thoughts but lol no.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is bitcoin actually as environmentally bad as claimed

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's also that blind spot people with lots of qualifications can develop where because they spend their time being an expert in their field and acting like it, they develop the mindset that they're always the expert in the room, regardless of whether it's their field of expertise or not.

Jose posted:

I guess it depends on the severity of the claim in question, but the whole thing is based on people using computer time to do nothing of actual use to humanity. If you switched those computers off or refrained from buying bitcoin mining rigs, it'd be an environmental positive for no negative.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Have you seen the energy consumption of some of those dedicated mining rigs? You're talking close to £1000 of electricity per month just for each one.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jose posted:

Yeah. The savage irony about bitcoin was that it was 'supposed' to democratise fiat currency. Currently, the largest mining operation in the world is the venezuelan state (I believe) who are using subsidised/free electricity as a way to convert sanctioned oil/natural gas into $$.

That's before you even get into the amount of energy needed to check that each transaction is geniune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bitcoin alone uses the equivalent annual energy expenditure of ireland to run i recall, i’m sure alt coins are not much better