Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

One question I had about the finale of Season 2 : how the hell did Kreese convince Zakarian to transfer the dojo to him, considering he was bumming around in a shelter not that long ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dick Jones posted:

One question I had about the finale of Season 2 : how the hell did Kreese convince Zakarian to transfer the dojo to him, considering he was bumming around in a shelter not that long ago?

He beat the poo poo out of him and his “cousins.”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The weakest parts of this season were the Vietnam flashbacks and the city council scene. The best was Chozen.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My unofficial kid actor rankings, referring to the character because I'm too lazy to pull up IMDB.

1) Miguel. I rewatched season 1 and its tough to overstate how much the relationship between Miguel and Johnny grounds the show. I think the actor stumbled a bit when he had to crank up the character's assholery, but he's very very good at potraying a dude in constant conflict with himself.

2) Tori. Not the most indepth of characters, but the actress does a lot with relatively little on the page.

3) Hawk. I wish the show gave him more opportunities to reflect on how much he's turned into a rampaging rear end in a top hat, but the actor really taps into that over-the-top objectively hilarious swagger some kids in high school have.

4) Demetri. A good performance on balance. He's really good at playing the astonished "Who am I an what is my life?" scenes.

4) Robbie. He's fine, I guess. Character is a complete blank and he's competent enough.

5) Sam. Not good. As much as I want to blame this on the writing, she's just not believable and seems to be acting on a different wavelength than near anyone else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheCenturion posted:

He beat the poo poo out of him and his “cousins.”

No that was this season. Last year he convinced him to put the lease in his name and basically stole the whole thing from Johnny.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think Zakarian gives a drat as long as the rent is paid.

Edit: Johnny's name is still on the lease and the business license, for all I know.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 4, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny mocked Zakarian mid season so by the end he was happy to screw him over by giving it to Kreese.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That and Kreese was handling all the paperwork on Johnny's behalf.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Halloween Jack posted:

Edit: Johnny's name is still on the lease and the business license, for all I know.

I don't think so (?)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Zakarian probably rues the day he let Snake Karate into his shopping center.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Narcissus1916 posted:

5) Sam. Not good. As much as I want to blame this on the writing, she's just not believable and seems to be acting on a different wavelength than near anyone else.

Sam is so bad she wraps around to being good, then back around to being bad again

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I find it insane that the two best actors in the show have had nowhere careers after the mid-80s.

And yes, Sam is bad. She plays the character too straight. It's like she thinks she's in a Disney Channel original movie.

Also I found it funny that Kreese kicked the kid off the team for losing to an "untrained" opponent who was a varsity wrestler.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I have no idea where the series could go after season 4. Assuming Terry and Kreese/Cobra Kai are defeated at the end of season 4, what bad guys would even make sense from the movies to bring back? Would Johnny take back the Cobra Kai name or would the show continue on without a Cobra Kai dojo?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hilary Swank, in an eyepatch, appearing in the season finale to destroy Cobra Kai and Miyagi Ryu with Alpha Elite Karate.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Spacebump posted:

I have no idea where the series could go after season 4. Assuming Terry and Kreese/Cobra Kai are defeated at the end of season 4, what bad guys would even make sense from the movies to bring back? Would Johnny take back the Cobra Kai name or would the show continue on without a Cobra Kai dojo?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

That's not Jaden Smith

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

BiggerBoat posted:

That's not Jaden Smith

I think Jaden showing up is a given, isn't Smith still an EP on the show?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jaden Smith is not going to show up. Will Smith is an EP in name only. Like how Jonathan Peters as an EP credit on a half dozen Superman related films despite never even visiting the set. It's likely Smith's involvement with the lovely remake earned him an EP credit on any and all KK related things going forward.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Johnny's all-caps FB reply to Ali is freaking amazing. There's some screen captures floating around, and it's absolute peak Johnny.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I was very into the final episode where Johnny is laying an absolute beating on Kreese only to have Robbie step in to defend his "sensei" and johnny absolutely clowning him effortlessly. You could tell his toss into those lockers wasn't malicious. The whole thing of him doing lackluster things and knocking his son out on accident was peak johnny though

Also as predicted I watched the entire show in two sittings with my wife. 8 episodes the first, and the final two the next day. I love this stupid magic karate show.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Spacebump posted:

The Bad Boy of Karate hooks up with Robbie!

Terry Silva buys out something, I don’t know, and turns it into a pollution factory, as befits an 80s villain.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

On a different note, I recommend the Cobra Kai game. Its the strangest and most surreal licensed game I've played in quite some time. Even the anime art style is endearing in a "mid 2000s newgrounds flash game" sort of way.

Literally everyone shows up - and i mean EVERYONE. Tom Cole the car salesman, the landlord, even Johnny's stepdad make surprising appearances.

Practically every attack is a riff from another fighting game, with Miguel screaming "Cobra Uppercut!" every other moment. My only real quibble is that playing as Cobra Kai is vastly more interesting (Johnny, Miguel, Hawk and Tori are playable) than the defense-driven Miyagi Do (Daniel, Robby, Sam, and freakin' Demetri)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Narcissus1916 posted:

On a different note, I recommend the Cobra Kai game. Its the strangest and most surreal licensed game I've played in quite some time. Even the anime art style is endearing in a "mid 2000s newgrounds flash game" sort of way.

Wait, it's good??? I looked at it and it looked incomprehensibly awful on like a deep fundamental level, it's on sale on PS4 right now I think

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its a suprisingly decent beat em up. Its not Streets of Rage 4 good by any means, but wayyyyy better than I thought it'd be. Even its bizarre art style grew on me (it plays better than it looks). Each "dojo" has four special powers and then each character has four unique special attacks AND a unique ultimate attack. There's dodges and counters and enemy variety and a kickin' rad 80s synth soundtrack.

And again, I can't begin to explain the depths of fan service on display here.

In about an hour I have a) Fought the two dudes who bothered Robby in season one by chucking mini golf balls at Golf N Stuff b) witnessed a John Kreese who is literally a carbon copy of Akuma c) Demetri plays like SubZero and d) Fought Yasmine the bully from season 1.

Its the dumbest loving thing I've played in ages, and definitely worth the 25 bucks I paid for it.

Just witness this nonsense - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ROlXe57dM

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

According to reviews the game is "surprisingly okay". It isn't going to give Streets of Rage 4 or River City Girls a run for their money but if you've managed to become bored with those games and want something new it isn't a bad choice.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

...okay yeah that's hecking rad

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I love that this show never shies away from a fight. If there's any reason at all to have a fight scene, they'll provide.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Normy posted:

I love that this show never shies away from a fight. If there's any reason at all to have a fight scene, they'll provide.

"What do you mean you're out of mint chip??" *karate chops ice cream display case*

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Normy posted:

I can get behind it 100% if they manage to maintain the insanely weird balance between serious/mature and batshit goofy.

Like a minimum wage jockey sees a bunch of kids steal a ton of poo poo from his job, and the correct course of action is to call his karate gang to jump them in the laser tag arena. (Also, still safer then calling the cops.)

Followed up by Kreese having 0 shame to exploit the system to his advantage or absolutely emotionally manipulate a hostile audience (hello I'm capt john kreese ex green beret and vietnam vet) even if it's a classic "coward" move and treating it like it's back to real deal serious times town.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I wonder what Kreese would even be prosecuted under. That would be a hell of a case.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I wonder what Kreese would even be prosecuted under. That would be a hell of a case.

absolutely nothing.

the case of the missing wrestler in some midwest state it turned out he was rolled up into a wrestling mat and stuffed under the bleachers, and tons of locals readily believed "oh he probably did it to himself" because it was a championship wrestling team and the coach could do no wrong.

violent sport coaches are basically untouchable unless they themselves commit a serious felony on camera.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

pentyne posted:

I can get behind it 100% if they manage to maintain the insanely weird balance between serious/mature and batshit goofy.

With some high speed car chases and pow camp death matches for good measure.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

pentyne posted:

absolutely nothing.

the case of the missing wrestler in some midwest state it turned out he was rolled up into a wrestling mat and stuffed under the bleachers, and tons of locals readily believed "oh he probably did it to himself" because it was a championship wrestling team and the coach could do no wrong.

violent sport coaches are basically untouchable unless they themselves commit a serious felony on camera.

Kreese would easily end up in jail and losing several civil suits irl. He has hosed with way too many people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope they have a scene where one of the kids turns 18 and the cops instantly appear and arrest him.

No wait, that's what would actually happen. I dont want that at all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

pentyne posted:

absolutely nothing.

Kreese fucks with rich and powerful white people. He'd be done for.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Off the top of my head people that could bring charges or file suit against Kreese: Daniel LaRusso, Amanda LaRusso, Armand Zarkarian, Armand's cousins, Johnny Lawrence, Demetri's parents, potentially every Cobra Kai student's parents this include's Aisha's parents/her NFL father, and maybe the parents of Kyler's friend that Hawk wrecked. He could also face potential trouble for unlawful ownership of an exotic animal.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Man, I hope that one kid doesn’t flunk his trig class.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Yeah that's what bugs me about the Season 3 premiere and finale: The dealership and Robby are both in deep poo poo as a result of the school brawl, but none of the Cobras or their parents will face any legal trouble for a brazen home invasion, assault & battery, and destruction of property well into the thousands of dollars? Tory got a slap on the wrist for what was clearly mayhem and assault with a deadly weapon.

And the LaRussos are just gonna forego legal action in favor of a tournament? A dinky little trophy isn't going to settle poo poo at this point, because we all know Cobra Kai will lose, then proceed to get big mad, and then go on another destructive warpath.

After the fallout from Season 2, it's time for police reports, lawsuits, restraining orders, and security cameras (installing them at the house & dojo after the first vandalism incident would have been a great idea). Whatever it takes to escape the personal slight -> escalation -> life-altering brawl -> dojo confrontation -> "we'll settle this at the tournament" treadmill. Or just keep trying to kick the same football until Tory ghost rides a truck bomb into the dealership, killing several LaRussos, Anoush, and a newlywed couple. A heinous act for which she will recieve 6 months probation.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Kreese fucks with rich and powerful white people. He'd be done for.

He'll end up pissing off Johnny's stepdad and that'll somehow be his downfall.

My only real complaint about this season is that I can't stand the Sam and Tori rivalry stuff. Aside from that, it was another fun season.

Okay, my other complaint is that we ran out of episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Dick Jones posted:

Whatever it takes to escape the personal slight -> escalation -> life-altering brawl -> dojo confrontation -> "we'll settle this at the tournament" treadmill.

that's the entire karate kid filmography though so if it was different it would he a different show? It's not Ibsen yeah but it's a reboot of an 80s karate movie trilogy idk what they could have given us that didn't fit this pattern and that would also have given people the warm nostalgia fuzzies that contribute to the show's success? I would be into a show with more realistic fallout I guess, but more than that, I just want Terry Silver the Captain Planet villain to show up next season with some idiotic and convoluted plan, and it's probably gonna follow that same personal slight -> escalation -> life-altering brawl -> dojo confrontation -> "we'll settle this at the tournament" pattern. It's gonna be Robbie vs Miguel in the finals for season 4, Robbie wins with a bunch of Evil Cobra Kai Sith poo poo From The War, setting up a final season to wrap things up.