Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Even if you ignore the racial slurs, which even if they’re ironic it’s still racist, as someone with young kids not quite 9. If they came up to me and were hungry and asking nicely for help, even if I wanted to have a learning lesson and teach them to use a can opener I wouldn’t just passive aggressively tell them to figure it out I would explain how it works, show them then let them try and if they’re struggling ask if they need help and if so show them proper technique or whatever

If the story is true he is just an rear end in a top hat to a hungry child with a developing brain who might not understand the complexities of the situation

But that’s just my opinion I don’t know much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

absolutely yes, good lord
...how old do you think kids need to be to cook some eggs or bake cookies by themselves? I wouldn't trust every 9 year old with a stove but I could certainly scramble eggs before I was 10. All you really need to know is fire=bad.

Of course this particular kid didn't know how to use a can opener, so I would easily believe she shouldn't be using a stove alone.

Edit: also yes please god let Griffin compose something short, quicker intro and outro, everybody wins.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 4, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Just get Griffin to rework th stack soap song

Boom

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That should just go back to using ABBA now that they all have big lawyer money

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Trapick posted:

...how old do you think kids need to be to cook some eggs or bake cookies by themselves? I wouldn't trust every 9 year old with a stove but I could certainly scramble eggs before I was 10. All you really need to know is fire=bad.

Of course this particular kid didn't know how to use a can opener, so I would easily believe she shouldn't be using a stove alone.

I’m absolutely not usually a “if you don’t have kids you don’t understand” person but I feel like this is an actual situation it applies. Hell, even certain tasks my kids are good at on a bad day they’re going to gently caress it all up

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Just have Justin cover Anything Can Happen on Halloween again but clip out the word "Halloween" and replace it with whatever the day they record or release the episode on.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Do it ironically posted:

I’m absolutely not usually a “if you don’t have kids you don’t understand” person but I feel like this is an actual situation it applies. Hell, even certain tasks my kids are good at on a bad day they’re going to gently caress it all up
I have a 5 year old. I wouldn't let her use the stove alone yet, but I'll be pretty surprised if I don't before she's 10. She cooks with me all the time.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

make the new intro/outro justin doing a full rendition of Send In The Clowns

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Even from a pedagogy standpoint it doesn't make sense

You usually start at the end and work back with steps (finish all but the last step , get them to take the lid off and throw it in the bin)

Or start at the first step and work forward, (get them to hold it correctly and then you do the actual cutting)

This is just "gently caress off kid, I'm doing a puzzle"

The stove argument tho, I'm a little softer on, I grew up eating baked beans from a can , easy lunch once i was taught how to open a can

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Trapick posted:

I have a 5 year old. I wouldn't let her use the stove alone yet, but I'll be pretty surprised if I don't before she's 10. She cooks with me all the time.

For sure every child is different, and maybe his 9 year old can work an oven but not know how to use a can opener maybe I’m not articulating myself well but I’m trying to say don’t be a jerk to your kid life is tough help them out and set them up for success

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I absolutely cannot loving believe we are arguing the age of when someone learns to use a stove

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Being a Zionist isn't mutually exclusive with being an antisemite. In fact, that describes a gently caress ton of American conservatives. You do not ever have to give the edgy middle aged white guy constantly finding ways to use slurs in jokes the benefit of the doubt. He just wants to use slurs.

Also, the new theme will definitely be by LMM, because of course they'll make the decision that will please half the fans and piss off the others. And he's also very high on the likely to get cancelled list.

Yeah, you’re right. I think that there needs to be a place for satire and conscious mockery of evil poo poo, even if that means playing characters or whatever.

But like, nobody serious or worth listening to is looking to cancel SBC over jokes from Borat or Bruno. Nobody would seriously think of censuring the Marx Bros over their portrayal of dictators in Duck Soup or whatever. The context is clear and understood. And even still, there’s been change- a lot of Mel Brooks’ stuff wouldn’t fly today, for better and for worse.

The old Gen X guy whose schtick on Friendly Fire is belligerently leaning into accusations of ‘both sides’ing making a dumbass tweet that nobody outside of FF fans would understand or forgive isn’t remotely the same. He doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt for leaving those tweets out there or for thinking it’d be fine or a “teachable moment” about cancel culture or whatever, because it’s ultimately his fault if his intent is misinterpreted.

He doesn’t get to say “well if you knew my podcasts then you’d know what I really think” because that’s ridiculous and dumb.

You guys are right, and I am being wrong and a fool.

I think I’m just really bummed—moreso than I expected— because Friendly Fire is literally the one final remaining MaxFun podcast that I still listen to regularly, and that isn’t tied up with a bunch of really lovely memories for me.

And I think it’s easy to fall into the trap of reflexively pushing back on accusations of anti-semitism from Twitter People I Dislike precisely because it’s a charge that has been recently used a great deal as a cudgel against supporters of Palestine, supporters of BDS, Ilhan Omar, Jeremy Corbyn (quite successfully in that case), and even Bernie himself.

loving sucks, 2021 already feels like it’s gonna be 2020-redux.

Trapick posted:

Yeah, this one is weird to me. I was making omelettes and fried eggs—and boiled eggs, and egg muffin sandwiches—and boiling pasta water, etc before I was in middle school. I wasn’t allowed to use the stove when home alone (latchkey kid starting in 6th grade) until like maybe grade 8 or 9, and I sure as poo poo didn’t know how to properly cook meat until adulthood, but I could turn on the stove and heat up a precooked food no sweat without becoming a fire hazard.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Do it ironically posted:

For sure every child is different, and maybe his 9 year old can work an oven but not know how to use a can opener maybe I’m not articulating myself well but I’m trying to say don’t be a jerk to your kid life is tough help them out and set them up for success
Absolutely, he was a lovely dad in at least that situation, no question.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Trapick posted:

Edit: also yes please god let Griffin compose something short, quicker intro and outro, everybody wins.

And if she's really not to be trusted with a stove it's perfectly possible to cook baked beans in the microwave.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I mean, they know that Lin Manuel Miranda guy. They'd probably just ask him to write a theme song for the show and he can throw in vore jokes or something. Then in two years he'll be batshit and we can finally return to ABBA and Girl Talk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Lmao loving Vaush’s latest video is about Bean Dad. People are like gearing up in the comments section. They have no idea who Roderick is or why they should care so they’re just assuming he’s some chud with prepper tendencies.

It’s actually really funny and serves as a good object lesson in what happens when your online notoriety suddenly greatly eclipses your online fame, and entire demographic groups who previously had no reason to be aware of your existence suddenly see your name attached to a bunch of vaguely pro-Nazi comments and a story about how you starved your own child.

But also gently caress Vaush, he’s irresponsible as gently caress and then couches it behind his mental illness, his “debates” with right wingers serve nothing except to juice his own subscriber count, he’s bad for leftism. He’s lucky that the last like four times he’s been cancelled haven’t stuck or seemed to matter, but he’s enough of an erratic loose cannon that it’s really only a matter of time before he ends up in a Bean Dad situation of his own that he can’t Twitch stream his way out of.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Bean Dad sucks, but hear me out.

He sucks so much that now we won’t have that dogshit intro song anymore.

Friendly Fire was only a rare occasion listen for me and tbh, I’ll still probably listen if a movie pops up that interests me.

ghost emoji posted:

I like MBMBAM, but the theme song (and 95% of the ads, I'm looking at you Dr Gameshow) is not good.

MaxFun ads just suuuuuuuck. It’s like they somehow distill the worst NPR-parent jokes and voices from each show, make one attempt at a cut, and call it a day.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 4, 2021

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
In the Eleventh Hour, Griffin had the piano player in the saloon playing Jock Jams, they should use that as the theme.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

I read this quickly and thought "clear as a Jew" was some expression I was unfamiliar with

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

all jews are translucent, everyone knows this

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've never been more excited for an episode than I am today

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Eox posted:

I've never been more excited for an episode than I am today

I don’t think they’ll address it at all, except for maybe restating their tweet. I’m very excited for the naming of 2021 as there’s a good chance it’s already become somewhat ironic.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I don’t think they’ll address it at all, except for maybe restating their tweet. I’m very excited for the naming of 2021 as there’s a good chance it’s already become somewhat ironic.

Also they presumably record earlier than the day before the episode, so

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
They've definitely already recorded it, I'm curious how noticeable the cut will be where Griffin once thanked him

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just use the Amnesty theme, it slapped

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Justin's gonna use the new theme selection to stage a coup and turn the show into an hour long Munch Squad

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I imagine this week's episode will be dedicated to finding the new 2021 motto and I hope that it is hilarious in hindsight after this weekend's nonsense

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Twenty down-to-one, we're doing it ourselves

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If their rhymes last year are any indication, we’ll end up with “twenty-twenty-bean, defy your dad”

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

change my name posted:

Just use the Amnesty theme, it slapped
:emptyquote: the only podcast theme I've always wanted to listen all the way through every episode

kidcoelacanth posted:

all jews are translucent, everyone knows this
I'm half-Jewish so I just got the "trans" part

(You can see my veins pretty easily though...)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

my only request for the new theme song is that they time it so it ends right after I hit the 30 second skip

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

get neil cicierega to do the new theme

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

The 7th Guest posted:

get neil cicierega to do the new theme

https://youtu.be/upXK1RiGxao

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkQ4MGcYvu8

I don't know why there is so much discussion over a new theme when they already knocked it out of the park earlier this year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
They should get Ted Leo + Amy Mann to do a perfect cover of “Its a Departure”, that can be their penance for not giving us Art of Process Season 2

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
The not-funny answer is that they should take their time with the new intro and let it happen organically.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Get an intro by someone who's already dead or at the very least not on Twitter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Get an intro by someone who's already dead or at the very least not on Twitter.

I know someone who fits one of those bills, his name is John Roderick

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol it made the BBC https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/1346075985385582594?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cool now it gets a bunch of numpties charging in to say that kids spend too much time on their cell phones and bean dad is a hero