Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Why are the French riders in any given bike racing category always such charismatic badasses?

Agreed. Why are the American rockstar jerks just the the worst, while French rockstar jerks always manage so much panache?! Is it something in the water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I think arrogance comes more natural for the french.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Why are the French riders in any given bike racing category always such charismatic badasses?

Good question. AVB and de Soultrait own though. Just going flat out all the time, you know they're eventually going to get caught out but they don't give a gently caress. It's both really stupid and inspiring and I think probably part of the reason they're so great is because they embody the freedom to live without regard for consequence that many of us romanticize. Even if it is reeeeaaaaaall dumb. I don't speak french but if you do, this is probably good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eOWR-Avwk0

Deeters posted:

BC, I love your dedication to reminding everyone when it's Dakar time (even in your secret santa, haha). Is there a good place online to watch recaps this year?

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

I feel bad because I forgot to post the third (hot sauce is really good) best part of my present. Which I am doing here because I've already clogged up enough of that thread. Awww yeah.

Dakar's channel on instagram or youtube is probably going to have the best english ones but french channel 4 usually has the best, you just need to use subtitles if they're available. I'll try to post whatever it is I'm watching. This is one place where ADVrider actually really shines. I don't know why but there's this tiny section of it that has a ton of really dedicated dakar fans. I'll post a link to that too when they start their dakar thread.

Last year was extraordinary. It was the first year ever that an American won! And he did it in the moto category on a honda, breaking KTM's absurd streak. But KTM has a murderer's row of former winners, including "mulleted aussie fat kid who learned to race on farm bikes" Toby Price. This is an excellent video redbull did about him.

We'll see how it goes this year but Brabec has been training pretty seriously all year and Honda seems to continue to be behind him as their number one rider (finally!) so hopefully it will be a good race. My money is still on KTM to regain the title but Honda's issue has always been shooting themselves in the foot so it will be an interesting question to see if last year was just luck or if they've finally found some consistency. Some dakar discussion with Brabec and Short. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL8icNS49PE&t=4140s I think it's kind of funny that the two fastest guys are both former fat kids. Brabec at one point was ~3 bills before getting more serious about his racing (and diet) and he said that the ability to just shovel garbage into his face was really helpful because guys with sensitive stomachs lost too much weight over the course of the rally.

It's interesting to see, too, that even with a win last year KTM (and white-KTM, Husqvarna) represent the vast majority of entrants in the moto category. This is probably just because KTM provides much better support for their non-factory racers than anyone else. There's a big truck that you can buy literally any part for your KTM rally bike from and it gets billed to your home-dealer who then charges you for it.

Someone is running a hybrid motorcycle. No, I don't know either. Details on his page are... sparse. https://www.willyjobard.com/

On the car front, this year there's a new classic car category

With some cool looking entrants.

Extensive fact checking confirms that this one is the best. Sponsored by "Global Company"

Of course, none of these are going to be able to compete with the modern cars. In fact, they're not even able to run the same race with a special 12 stage event designed just for them. I think it's just going to basically avoid any of the big dunes where they wouldn't have the power:weight to get through and you'd end up with a bunch of overheated old cars stranded on day 3.

Yeah... not quite the same.

Something to watch for next year, Audi is bringing an all-electric rally car! https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/press-releases/audi-to-compete-in-dakar-rally-13440

Running off a battery charged by a TFSI eng... hold on a minute. https://www.audimichiana.com/audi-tfsi--engine.htm Well, I guess it's progress? Still, we had this last year so I'm not holding my breath for a huge step forward from Audi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awLRY8ELvsg

That's it for today. In the next few days I'll post about the rule changes this year and how they attempt to stop filthy, filthy cheaters and actually make everything much worse. Maybe.

Correction from yesterday: de Soultrait and AVB aren't on the same team anymore, with de Soultrait moving to Husqvarna. It's OK, he still has our best interest at heart.

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 17, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thank you for this post! I forgot how good it was last year

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, this is uhhhh some of the best motorsport journalism I receive. Thank you so much!

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Thank you for this!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Galaxy brain poo poo

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I can't hate on that

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A million KLR guys light up at the thought they won't have to waste the milk jugs that came with their topcase

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Galaxy brain poo poo

I stole this from a friend's facebook years ago

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Phy posted:

A million KLR guys light up at the thought they won't have to waste the milk jugs that came with their topcase

lmfao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phy posted:

A million KLR guys

You can just say ADVRIDER

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Lmao :drat:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://twitter.com/RossiSongo/status/1341796801695891463

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Phy posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gentleman, we've found it. After all these years. The motorcycle that gets chicks.

This was a triumph.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'd love to know which Triumph featured a square- rectangular-ten engine

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

I'd love to know which Triumph featured a square- rectangular-ten engine

Now I wanna make a BRM-style H16 engine out of 4 CBR250 engines. Pretty sure it'd still be down on power compared to modern litre engines but imagine the noise!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Say hi to ya mutha fah me

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can practically taste the cocaine. Is that Mark Wahlberg?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
It looks like the long lost lover of "blucifer" the first horseman of the apocalypse that guards the Denver airport. Yes it's eyes glow red and it literally killed the guy who made it.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Can he even see forward? Looks like the horse blocks the view.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

RadioPassive posted:

Can he even see forward? Looks like the horse blocks the view.
"Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see."

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

KodiakRS posted:

It looks like the long lost lover of "blucifer" the first horseman of the apocalypse that guards the Denver airport. Yes it's eyes glow red and it literally killed the guy who made it.

Holy gently caress this is hilarious how have I not seen this before.

quote:

The eyes are actually LED, but any further insight is shrouded in mystery. Jimenez had a major problem with deadlines. As the steed neared completion in 2006, 13 years late and now at a cost of $650,000, tragedy struck. A large chunk of the mustang broke loose and crushed the artist to death.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Dakar starts next week! How exciting.

Let's take a look at what's changed since last year. So, one of the things that's always been true about Dakar is that from time to time people die. It's a brutal race out in challenging, variable terrain with no immediately available medical personnel. There's a helicopter but last year, when Paolo Goncalves died it took 8 minutes for the helicopter to arrive. That's amazing. But it's also not fast enough to stop someone from bleeding out or choking to death on their tongue or burning if their car catches fire. Someone like Edwin Straver who broke his neck and had no pulse for ten minutes before he was resuscitated. He almost certainly lives if this is a track. We can have a discussion about the idea of whether or not it's good that motorsport is dangerous, but whether or not that's true (there's a limit, I'm looking at you isle of man), the organization decided to implement some safety measures.

So first is the airbag. All motorcycle and quad riders have to wear an airbag.

Next, there will also be a speed limit on some specials. I have no idea how this is going to work. There are often speed limits (for which you are penalized) related to areas where you aren't going hell for leather as fast as you can. Like areas that have people in them. But how does this work when it's in the middle of the racing part? Of course the speed limit is still set at 55 (90kph) so it's still awfully fast but I expect the hope is to slow down folks like Adrien van Beveren and stop him from doing things like this (nobody dies, he's fine! He later said he crashed because he didn't see a rock or something because of the shadows.). I predict it fails. In 2022 the bikes are going to get a power reduction by way of air intake restriction so I hope we see some super clever engineering from Honda.

In a more technical move, they're going to limit tires to 6 rear tires for the whole race. This seems like a good idea, right? Right? Really good! That way people won't just go WOT all the time and toast their tires and then lose later on. But it's not because what will actually happen is that you'll get your water carriers (slower riders who support the guys at the front) instructed to baby their tires and give them up. This already happens on marathon stages where you don't have any of the support vehicles - you still get the "slow" factory guys giving the fast factory guys their tire to use the next day. I expect it will also change tire compound a little to be more longer lasting which will reduce traction a touch (but I bet not speed). We'll see, maybe I'm wrong but I think as of now it won't really reduce speed at all. Seriously, look how fast Shorty is. I don't think this applies to cars.

Last, but not least, is the biggest change. This year, all roadbooks are being given out ten minutes before the start. This happened once last year and was a success, forcing the front runners to use their heads to navigate instead of getting the mapmen to run them through it the night before. I posted about mapmen last year if you're interested in a refresher. I think but I'm not 100% sure that they're also all going to be electronic (if they're not then the rest of the schedule will be and Dakar will be next year). Here's a little more discussion, and some cars going fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfb4jxtBFcA

This is a lot better in my mind, but there are folks who will absolutely vehemently argue that if you crash at least you can tape together a paper roadbook but you'll never be able to tape together an ipad. You also can't (yet) color the roadbook the way you want with an ipad. This is true but they're still better because you can do exactly this and it makes a level playing field where the navigation is all being done by the competitors at the time of the event. Sure, you maybe lose a little bit of cerebral...ality? in that if two racers go into their bunks at night with a roadbook the more clever, skilled one can arguably prepare better for tomorrow. As a practical matter, you get factories paying dudes with crazy google earth images and gps skills to tell the riders how to do this.

It's also a lot easier to issue course corrections in the event of, for example, a flood.

"What are you talking about, nobody would do all that. This is just a conspiracy to make people feel better about losing." I hear you say. But first, they definitely would and do and second, look, someone has already flown the course and posted it on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoXeTuffKx8

Racers have shown up in Saudia Arabia now and everyone is quarantining and getting ready.

There's perennial favorite for the women, Laia Sanz who is better at riding motorcycles than you will ever be at anything. She's on gas gas now that KTM bought it as she's spanish and has won thirteenliterally every woman's trials title and gas gas makes a ton of trials bikes.

Skyler Howes talks about what's in his kit. He should have a factory ride. He's American and finished ninth last year without a factory ride. Crazy, right? Crazy that he doesn't have a factory ride now. No, I don't feel strongly about this. It's fine. Forums member hondawhisperer has plastered his racecar with Skyler Howes stickers in support of this crusade. True story.
https://www.facebook.com/502169466/videos/10159513166209467/

I haven't watched this, but last year's version was really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV1vsAQQAzY It's Simon Pavey and his son and a friend and they've all run dakar before. You may remember Simon Pavey from such features as "god damnit, that guy who was Ewan McGregor's buddy from long way round wants to race Dakar and has agreed to pay for me to race too as long as I help him and get filmed and I am trying very hard not to just absolutely explode on camera." Here's the son in happier? times.

On the car side, I hear this Loeb character is fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb5j9zslUvA He's also french which the ASO loves.

Sadly, he's no Stefan Peterhansel (also french, but entirely a coincidence I assure you) who joins last year's winner Carlos Sainz again in the xraid mini. You can see that in Mr. Dakar's (Peterhansel) garage, the torque wrench has a place of highest honor. No bolt goes on but it isn't torqued exactly and lovingly to spec. More or less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpwk0HDHGhg

Facing up against Peterhansel and some other dudes who seriously nobody cares about them, he's won Dakar THIRTEEN TIMES (and it should have been fourteen but the thing that happened in that movie about ford actually happened in 2014 and he let his teammate nani roma finish first on team orders). Five on a bike and then eight times in a car, jesus christ. Where was I? Right, toyota. Nasser Al-Attiyah is, by all accounts, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. And he drives a toyota hilux. I'm pretty sure that "for 2021 will feature modified suspension and a revamped exterior design to reflect the latest production Hilux model." is the rally car equivalent of "bold new graphics."

Installing the new kit in the parking lot. No, those definitely aren't last year's cars.

This peugot 504 is not going to win but it is rad.

I don't speak french but I had to include this because the first comment is "la musique de naruto" and the cars are cool.

Last but not least, a reminder that the trucks are ridiculous and I love them. loving Kamaz.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Yesss I always look forward to reading your write ups. I love following Dakar, but boycotted it last year because Saudi Arabia.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
DAY ONE

You can’t win a Dakar in the prologue but you can lose one. To make the prologue more interesting, for bikes and quads they quadrupled the time difference for the prologue. So if you finish the prologue a minute after someone, it counts as four minutes for the official time. This is dumb and also sort of makes sense. If prologue counts or doesn’t count at all then there’s little incentive to lead off the next day. It is *ALWAYS* better to be fifth or so than to be first so you don’t have to both navigate and race. By fifth, the four bikes in front of you have left enough tracks to follow that you can comfortably rely on them (a little...).

Ricky Brabec, AMERICAN HERO, won the prologue and opened the first day. He immediately showed why you don’t want to do that by loving up his navigation and losing a billion hours (~18 minutes and he’ll be struggling to win now) to KTM (Toby Price, Walkner and Sunderland who’ve all won before too).
https://mobile.twitter.com/dakar/status/1345670954668728323

Toby Price will have to lead out tomorrow and we’ll see if Brabec was unlucky or if the roadbook changes really are making a huge difference.

I don’t know how a rear tire is going to last two days in this. Hopefully the sand is a little easier on them.

Skyler Howes finished an easy 8th, five minutes back. He’s not a contender to win this year but if he does really well he can podium (a top ten on not-a-factory bike is pretty amazing).

If I were South African I would love Ross branch and not skyler Howes.
https://www.facebook.com/sadakargroup/posts/1384472761907394

And everyone back in the bivouac (these are the Malle moto guys, no mechanics or outside assistance although that’s a somewhat amorphous thing as they can get directions from mechanics on what to do and competitors can always help each other).
https://www.facebook.com/rally.pov/videos/403535387396849/

For example, if your car catches fire a truck will stop and pull you in. I don’t think the trucks are allowed to actually carry the bikes although to be honest I don’t know why that is - just that it doesn’t happen.

This Loeb character seems real fast.
https://mobile.twitter.com/dakar/status/1345655709439062018

But not as fast as Sainz and Peterhansel who finished 1-2.

An interesting thing happening this year (and last) is that Snapchat heat maps show you where the bivouac and the spectators are.
https://map.snapchat.com/@19.880732,42.651394,9.53z

Spectators are still real dumb.

Here’s the France 4 link. https://www.stream4free.live/france-4

And Red Bull’s. https://www.redbull.com/int-en/events/dakar-rally

It’s so frustrating that the ASO only puts out little dribs and drabs of content. I still watch it. https://youtu.be/RFDJrmcTuV4

Tim and Tom Coronel also put out quality content.
https://youtu.be/0o31inaMDo4

This dude’s pictures are real good. I will continue to steal them (with attribution).
https://www.facebook.com/mila.janacek/photos

Stage two starts in just an hour and a half!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
awesome pics. btw how high is the registration fee for the rally? can every rando join?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I really hope front runners getting lost becomes a regular thing so the cheating gets super obvious in hindsight.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Remind me what it was they got caught doing? Basically stealing detailed course notes?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

busalover posted:

awesome pics. btw how high is the registration fee for the rally? can every rando join?

Not anyone can join - you have to provide some proof of your ability. Usually that means finishing something else. Which, as a practical matter, means anyone with enough money can enter. However, it’s around 100k all in. Entry fee is 15k euros iirc. Maybe 20?

Manny Lucchese did a great video on the cost and he’s well known for doing it on the absolute smallest shoe-string budget possible. https://youtu.be/nTM9BcXYtVM

Renaissance Robot posted:

Remind me what it was they got caught doing? Basically stealing detailed course notes?

Check out the link for the more full explanation, but...

builds character posted:

I posted about mapmen last year if you're interested in a refresher. I think but I'm not 100% sure that they're also all going to be electronic (if they're not then the rest of the schedule will be and Dakar will be next year). Here's a little more discussion, and some cars going fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfb4jxtBFcA

This is a lot better in my mind, but there are folks who will absolutely vehemently argue that if you crash at least you can tape together a paper roadbook but you'll never be able to tape together an ipad. You also can't (yet) color the roadbook the way you want with an ipad. This is true but they're still better because you can do exactly this and it makes a level playing field where the navigation is all being done by the competitors at the time of the event. Sure, you maybe lose a little bit of cerebral...ality? in that if two racers go into their bunks at night with a roadbook the more clever, skilled one can arguably prepare better for tomorrow. As a practical matter, you get factories paying dudes with crazy google earth images and gps skills to tell the riders how to do this.

It's also a lot easier to issue course corrections in the event of, for example, a flood.

"What are you talking about, nobody would do all that. This is just a conspiracy to make people feel better about losing." I hear you say. But first, they definitely would and do and second, look, someone has already flown the course and posted it on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoXeTuffKx8

This is the first thing that happens.

Everyone is racing along and all, following the roadbook, getting stuck in some nonsense those jerks dreamt up for you to suffer when a guy takes a “wrong” turn and suddenly it’s a shortcut over much more forgiving terrain. That’s really it - cutting the course in ways that don’t seem too off if you’re the ASO looking at gps but that are a significant advantage in time, energy and risk.

In the example above, you just “miss” the turn, go a little ways further south and suddenly you’re racing WOT on nice smooth sand instead of that chopped up rough stuff with bushes and gullies.

The other way is this.

That’s from today’s stage. Doesn’t look so bad? When you’re down there, how are you supposed to figure out which of those little washes to go up? Having someone who has pictures of the route (remember, even this year someone literally flew a plane over the whole route ahead of time) and walking your racers through potentially tricky parts is a huge advantage. Imagine seeing thirty different washes but your man back at the bivouac showed you a picture and helped you out “just count and left at #7” and you’re off while everyone else at best hesitates and at worse takes a wrong turn and loses ten minutes.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I thought this is a design experiment by an official BMW guy, but apparently it's just someone who likes BMW and hoverbikes. Kar Lee's R 1600 GS twinjet

mewse
May 2, 2006

busalover posted:

I thought this is a design experiment by an official BMW guy, but apparently it's just someone who likes BMW and hoverbikes. Kar Lee's R 1600 GS twinjet

This looks so much better than the dogshit hoverbikes BMW has been releasing

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

busalover posted:

Beautiful.

Hoverbikes: when???

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
DAY TWO

With day one in the books we've already had a catastrophic navigation error that was blamed on GPS when, shockingly, everyone else's GPS is working fine. In cars, Mr. Dakar was a comfortable second with his teammate Carlos Sainz in first and over and a half minutes already in the books ahead of their competitors. In the trucks class Kamaz was top by eight minutes. loving Kamaz.

Here's a great look from one of the malle moto (no outside assistance) competitors. He's an Italian guy riding a pink beta and he stopped to eat polenta and gorgonzola. I love him. I also have to turn on subtitles and auto translate. Look at the rocks at 4m and his bike at 5m28s. Honestly not that bad, I think, given what it went through. Then his tires at 6m after one day and it makes me wonder about what the top riders will do (non-pros can run more than six rear tires). Those knobbies don't look great.

Nani Roma is racing with a new team and a new car. It's very much a baptism by fire for the two-time winner (once in bikes once in cars) but with that kind of setup he will need a tremendous amount of luck to challenge. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=149396623428356

Now, on to stage two.

Stage two is the first day of big dunes.

These always have some fun video clips of folks going up with real purpose and then coming back down unintentionally. Toby Price has to break ground today and the big question is how much more difficult the navigation this year is than last with only getting roadbooks fifteen minutes ahead of time.
https://play.snapchat.com/o:W7_EDlXWTBiXAEEniNoMPwAAYoDSuHidzZGNLAXbL9M8AAXbL9M5TAO1OAA

How'd it go for Price? Not great bob, not great.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2749879691927257

He finished a whopping thirty two minutes behind the honda boys, JBB and Brabec. JBB, bam bam, or Joan Barreda Bort is a rider who is very fast. He also complains a lot, crashes a lot and has never won. He is not my favorite. I think this is probably his last year as one of the Honda riders supported to win. He is very fast though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZUKEF3DoH0

Unlike KTM where everyone is fast and expected to have a chance to win, Honda has a much more hierarchical team where one or two guys are the ones who will win and everyone else supports them. Brabec hated it when he wasn't the fast guy and had to essentially win in spite of Honda. It's interesting that he's gotten a lot quieter about things since he became the #1. Anyway, JBB is in first but he's going to crash and then complain about it at some point so the really incredible news on day two is that Brabec, who had lost EIGHTEEN MINUTES, pulled back a ton of time and is now six minutes behind JBB in second. It's ridiculous and I'm very curious to see what happens tomorrow. Everyone's favorite riders, the frenchmen de Soultrait and AVB are in fifth and sixth. They're almost certainly going to crash because they have two speeds: 150% and hospital bed.

But still, everyone loves Xavier de Soultrait!

Toby Price said he had issues with his rear fuel tank and had to conserve for the front but that seems like just an excuse to me when none of the other guys who managed to catch him out front pulled away at all.

But it could be worse. Matthias Walkner, one of KTM's fast guys had a problem. What's the problem? Something about the clutch? Uh, try turning it on and off again? He's now 2 hours 26 minutes back. So at least he finished the stage but I expect he'll now be a tactical piece on the chessboard for KTM rather than a competitor for the finish.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1346007961160744960

And Andrew Short, who'd just moved from Husqvarna to Yamaha, is out. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJoIhMNB2za/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link.

Andrew Short's instagram posted:

Day two of @dakarrally started off great but after re-fuel I had what I think was a fuel related issue. I tried everything I had on the bike to get the bike moving again but in the end couldn’t get it going again. So sad to be out of the race but I know this is racing and especially Dakar. This event is really special and you work all year for this event. I really enjoyed how difficult and challenging the navigation was this year so far. I want to thank the team for all the hard work as they live for this race with the same passion as me. Thank you everything for the support and I can’t wait for next year. @monsterenergy

KTM and Yamaha with mechanical problems? This is a ridiculous reversal from years past where Hondas caught fire or blew their engines with regularity. Mostly caught fire.

The best strategy for dunes is just jump them like you're riding a MX bike. this is not the best strategy

Skyler Howes is up to 8th. Fingers crossed, still, for a podium finish for him.

The kalahari ferrari is in third. I'll be curious to see if he podiums. Be nice for yamaha to get a podium and they have two guys who can do it in AVB and Ross Branch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seRgbGvYFXM

Falling hard enough to inflate your air bag and then pushing the bike through the dunes. Don't worry, I'm sure it gets easier.

In the cars, Peterhansel manages a six minute lead over his teammate Carlos Sainz. You're going to read a lot about them being in the lead until something strange happens. It's interesting to see how not having to break tracks changes the calculus between the cars and the bikes. For the bikes there's always been a real desire not to win a stage (or to do so strategically) because if you're out front you're always slower. This year you're a LOT slower than in years past but it's always been better to follow someone else's tracks. For the cars, all the fast bikes have already gone so they're never breaking their own trail (although Peterhansel won it five times on a bike so of all the competitors he'd probably be best at it) and there's much more incentive to get a lead and try to maintain it. If you can win a stage, win it!

Nasser Al Attiyah with his 4wd toyota is in third, nine minutes back.

The minis are 350hp turbo charged 6cylinder diesel engines. That's all great but the big difference between them and the toyota is that they are 2wd. This helps them save on weight (and iirc they also get more suspension travel in the rules). The toyota is a v8 with 385 hp and 620nm of torque but really the difference is that it's four wheel drive. I will be very surprised if it's not one of Sainz, Peterhansel and Nasser that win it but we'll see. There's still plenty of time to make mistakes and ruin everything.

You thought the bike guys were tough? Imagine doing the whole rally... in a skoda! 1m50 in is great. "Yes, some direction. No not that one. No, not that one either." And a camel spotting at 6m46s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ISHfb1p73g

Sir, please turn around. I am a tree. "Negative. We are a truck."
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJmEH39hrxU/

Don't worry, that'll buff out. Yes, I plan on making that joke a bunch more times.

Some great pictures from this guy.

A nice video of Loeb too.
https://www.facebook.com/100001420118449/videos/a.3736317199758914/3739961022727865

Everyone get hype for trucks.
https://www.facebook.com/100001420118449/videos/a.3736317199758914/3740207156036585

Where Kamaz is 17 minutes in front now. Quelle Surprise!

It's beautiful.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1346005416480747520

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 4, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

builds character posted:

Here's a great look from one of the malle moto (no outside assistance) competitors. He's an Italian guy riding a pink beta and he stopped to eat polenta and gorgonzola. I love him.

I found the sponsor for goon racing team

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mewse posted:

I found the sponsor for goon racing team

Pionono ristorante sounds a lot more appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

busalover posted:

Lol, hover technology and still a boxer twin