Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ewan posted:

Modern electric ones are alright (the ones that look similar to induction hobs; i.e. a big flat black surface). They don't suffer from the same massive "lag" that you get with the older style ones that were basically just a lovely, exposed heating element.

I have one of these right now. Its rubbish.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

LPG cookers are a thing, but - as much as I love a gas hob - I don't know if I could be arsed going through the extra hassle of swapping out bottles (or the expense of getting someone else to do it) - I suspect if you priced it up an induction hob would probably work out cheaper, and be better in almost every way (the only advantages of gas over induction being cheaper initial outlay and cookware and being able to light a fag off it).

My parents had this when I was growing up until right now. They have two of the big bottles and switch over when one is empty so always got gas. They last for ages. You do need space for them i suppose where they can't get nicked.

Aidan_702 posted:

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1346093451633426434?s=20

I would like to inject this into the thread then watch the rumour mill go absolutely ablaze

quoting this for the new page because otherwise there will be no blaze.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The cool thing about Bitcoin is that having the Blockchain on your computer might be a crime

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/20/child-abuse-imagery-bitcoin-blockchain-illegal-content

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Unless you have one of those afterburner-rocketengine chinese resturant gas hobs that turn your food into plasma, induction is just objectively better in every single way.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

:thunk:

Wind power is awful. It ultrafucks untouched nature, kills birds, makes an incredibly maddening humming noise for miles and miles around, disrupts tv and radio signals and can't be recycled at all so you end up with wind-turbine mass-graves because the only thing you can do is dig a big hole to dump in.

Hoo boy. And bear in mind I don't even *like* wind power for multiple reasons.

quote:

ultrafucks untouched nature

I've got extremely bad news for you about every single thing human beings have done since the neolithic.

quote:

kills birds

Ditto, but also [citation needed] because the effects of wind turbines on birds are very marginal, especially compared to the more generalised damage done by fossil fuels. House cats definitely kill *way* more birds than wind power. Turbines *are* bad for nocturnal hunters and bats, but luckily the vast majority of UK wind generation is miles offshore.

quote:

makes an incredibly maddening humming noise for miles and miles around

I've literally stood directly underneath these bad boys and the noise of them was barely noticeable above the actual wind. This is an objection I've heard loads of times and I've never seen anyone actually able to demonstrate it.

quote:

disrupts tv and radio signals

Again [citation needed]. They're very thin structures which are earthed. I suppose potentially you might get some weird multipath effects off them and if you were still on 405-line black and white telly that would certainly be an issue, but any digital system is going to shrug that off without even noticing it, unless you already have such a weak and indirect signal that a lightning storm 300 miles away is also going to gently caress it anyway.

quote:

can't be recycled at all

Again, bad news about everything humanity has ever done. Also they're mostly GRP, which while not recyclable, can certainly be disposed of in better ways than just dumping them in a hole. Even if we do just dump them in a hole, that's still a million times better than the waste problems of literally every other power generation system we have available to us right now or even in the forseeable future with the *possible* exception of concentrated solar power (the kind with mirrors and a heat exchanger - photovoltaics have loving *horrifying* environmental impact in both manufacture and disposal).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Question IRL posted:

I've done the research about Electric v Gas v Induction.
The problem is the wife has these romantic notions of using gas cookers in her mums home and how much better it is than our electric hob.
(And she is right. The gas cooker is better than what we have now. But I don't think it is as good as a new Induction hob.)
And no amount of articles or videos will change her mind. The only thing likely to change her mind will be real world evidence.

This came up over Christmas where I bought rear Wireless LG speakers to add onto my Soundbar to turn it into a 5.1.2 sound system.

Before I got it, she complained that it was a waste of money and would do nothing.

Five minutes into watching Midnight Sky on Netflix with the new sound system she admits that she was wrong.

Ikea do these things for not very many bucks. Not sure how powerful it is but might be able to show off the speedy response and magical lack of residual heat?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tillreda-portable-induction-hob-white-40331630/

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Aidan_702 posted:

I would like to inject this into the thread then watch the rumour mill go absolutely ablaze

A couple of months ago weren't people saying Boris was wrecked by long covid and either planning to retire or sort of step back and have a spokesperson do all his actual work?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jiggerypokery posted:

Has anywhere ever successfully harnessed tidal at scale?

Quick google says Korea has a big tidal plant (254MW) but I have no frame of reference for how much energy that is.
They've been talking about building a massive tidal lagoon in Swansea for years, the web site says that construction is due to start in, uh, 2016, just as soon as somebody starts giving a gently caress about funding investment in green energy and/or Wales

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scotland's closed then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

What's did you find the actual running cost difference for gas vs. induction to be?

Electricity is about 5.8x as much per unit as gas where I am, but gas hobs are only about 40% efficient at delivering heat to the thing you want heating, compared to 75% for induction, so that smooths the running cost difference to more like 3x as much for induction, which gets it into the range where you can put cost preference into indoor air quality, likely future price hikes, etc.

But then they claim there's high efficiency burners that can be up to 65% efficient at delivering heat to load. They cost more but that brings it back towards gas for the foreseeable.

(Unit utility prices kept doing the same thing when heat pump efficiency started to make them look reasonable.)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've literally stood directly underneath these bad boys and the noise of them was barely noticeable above the actual wind. This is an objection I've heard loads of times and I've never seen anyone actually able to demonstrate it.
The norwegian government has very strict rules on noise from wind parks, and there's still been a bunch of scandals with the private owners of wind parks trying to pay people to sign contracts forbidding them from complaining about it, or parks just breaking the rules anyway. It becomes a constant, distant humming sound.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Again [citation needed]. They're very thin structures which are earthed. I suppose potentially you might get some weird multipath effects off them and if you were still on 405-line black and white telly that would certainly be an issue, but any digital system is going to shrug that off without even noticing it, unless you already have such a weak and indirect signal that a lightning storm 300 miles away is also going to gently caress it anyway.
https://www.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/i/PRRR8p/tv-signalene-skal-tilbake-straks-ellers-maa-vardafjellet-vindkraft-st
Wind park operator ordered to fix tv signals immediately or shut down the park.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1346097064896307201

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/1346095880454209539

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

They've been talking about building a massive tidal lagoon in Swansea for years, the web site says that construction is due to start in, uh, 2016, just as soon as somebody starts giving a gently caress about funding investment in green energy and/or Wales

I like the idea of tidal power but for some reason it never seems to work out. I think the most damning thing is the Dutch, who would seem to be the most ideally-placed to exploit it with minimal outlay and hassle, have never bothered beyond a tiny pilot scheme. Although maybe they just have a cultural preference for wind power.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Qwertycoatl posted:

A couple of months ago weren't people saying Boris was wrecked by long covid and either planning to retire or sort of step back and have a spokesperson do all his actual work?

I think it's a different thing that can't be repeated publicly without being sued but which people have suggested may eventually appear in a foreign newspaper/scandal mag (I have no inside knowledge of this so don't ask, it's just a rumour and you've probably guessed correctly)

e: also for clarification I think its probably bollocks and sort of gross "wishful thinking"

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 4, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

Ah yes I think I saw a video speculating about this a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k29corrrL0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Although maybe they just have a cultural preference for wind power.

I think you're tilting at windmills.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tidal power seems like it would just be awful from an engineering standpoint. The powers involved are incredible and fairly chaotic, and the ocean is extremely corrosive. I used to work in a high grade steel smelting plant, and the stuff we made for offshore was incredibly complex and expensive.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ditto, but also [citation needed] because the effects of wind turbines on birds are very marginal, especially compared to the more generalised damage done by fossil fuels. House cats definitely kill *way* more birds than wind power. Turbines *are* bad for nocturnal hunters and bats, but luckily the vast majority of UK wind generation is miles offshore.

My gf works for a company that manages wind farms, most of the mid-sized ones built onshore have some sort of conservation requirements as part of the planning. One example is having to pay someone to hunt crows in order to promote some other bird that is endangered. It’s weird but it seems to work, and they haven’t had many issues with the turbines themselves killing birds.

For tidal power, I think the problem with the lagoon systems is the huge up front costs. No company would fund it and would need government backing to make it worthwhile, which strangely enough our government doesn’t seem interested in. There are some interesting developments happening in the test ground in Orkney to develop floating systems that don’t affect the sea floor environment so much - I expect those to become much more popular.

E: this one:

https://orbitalmarine.com/

Pantsmaster Bill fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 4, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Couldn't give a toss if wind power disrupts TV signals tbh.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
GO.A.WAY you wretch:

source: graun/politics/2021/jan/03/tony-blair-i-would-have-voted-for-boris-johnson-post-brexit-trade-deal

quote:

Tony Blair: I would have voted for Boris Johnson's post-Brexit trade deal
Former Labour prime minister reveals he would have backed Keir Starmer in Commons vote

Tony Blair, who was one of the most prominent campaigners for a second referendum on EU membership, has said he would have backed Boris Johnson’s post-Brexit trade deal with Brussels in the Commons.

The former prime minister revealed he would have supported the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, who whipped his MPs to vote in favour of the prime minister’s agreement with the EU last week before the end of the transition period.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

sebzilla posted:

You're still heating the element which heats the stovetop which heats the pan which heats the food.

Slower to heat, slower to cool, less control, 100% more risk of accidentally burning something by putting it on top of a hob which is "off" but still hot as gently caress.
Don't get me wrong - it's still much shitter than gas. But far better than some of the old, shittier electric hobs. I have no view on induction as I have never used one.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Aidan_702 posted:

Boris raped and killed a girl in 1990.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I have one of these right now. Its rubbish.

My parents had this when I was growing up until right now. They have two of the big bottles and switch over when one is empty so always got gas. They last for ages. You do need space for them i suppose where they can't get nicked.

quoting this for the new page because otherwise there will be no blaze.

https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1346106654736211968

(It's just going to be even more confusing lockdown rules but I bet seeing those words gave everyone that same little "What crest is going to be on the lectern?" thrill we all got in 2017-2019, didn't it?)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

What happens in Scotland usually happens in England a day or 2 later - Full National Lockdown (except schools)

If I was still at school I'd be furious at still having to go to school whilst everyone else is dicking about playing League of Legends and I'd be potentially giving covid to my family. Not like they give a gently caress about school meals, travelling in Europe or anything like that - but aye, chuck everyone into school during a pandemic so they can learn by rote how to pass an exam thats a few years away.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Aww, he thinks he's helping :3:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Boris is addressing the nation at 8pm tonight.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1346106536855302144

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Full lockdown presumably? Naturally he wouldn't have known that this morning.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
There's a tidal power hub offshore northern Cornwall. It's taking bids to hook experimental units into one of the 4 slots at the moment. Sounds promising except a mate did his MEng thesis on North Cornwall tidal power in 2012 and it's no further advanced now than it was then.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

What's did you find the actual running cost difference for gas vs. induction to be?

Whoa there. When I said "did the research." I meant I watched videos and read articles about what they are like to use when compared to each other.
I didn't make any charts showing projected savings or loses as against long term use, or go into a price breakdown for energy per unit.

As for wind turbines and killing birds, perhaps all we need is some tins of black paint.

https://www.audubon.org/news/can-painting-wind-turbine-blades-black-really-save-birds

Or (to go back to yesterday's comedy chat) get Del Boy to buy some luminous yellow paint.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 4, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

The problem is the wife has these romantic notions of using gas cookers in her mums home and how much better it is than our electric hob.
(And she is right. The gas cooker is better than what we have now. But I don't think it is as good as a new Induction hob.)
And no amount of articles or videos will change her mind. The only thing likely to change her mind will be real world evidence.

This came up over Christmas where I bought rear Wireless LG speakers to add onto my Soundbar to turn it into a 5.1.2 sound system.

Before I got it, she complained that it was a waste of money and would do nothing.

Five minutes into watching Midnight Sky on Netflix with the new sound system she admits that she was wrong.

I persuaded 'Er Indoors on an induction hob for the new gaff. Part of it was compromising on it being a super-pricey Smeg job (apparently their cookers are good but their fridges are poo poo), and tbf it looks well nice and is Which?-approved. Also got a €30 induction tabletop hob for while our kitchen was demolished during renovations, and within a day she was persuaded that even that piece of poo poo was better than our previous cooker.

The next battle is an OLED TV. I need those blacker-than-blacks. No racism.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the closure of all zoos, safari parks and pirate-themed adventure playgrounds, except for essential visits.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

stev posted:

Full lockdown presumably? Naturally he wouldn't have known that this morning.

i think two or three times a day he just spins one of those random choice wheels with various policies written on then ignores the result and chooses whichever one sounds like the least effort

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

ukle posted:

Ah ffs I need to go shopping tomorrow it's gonna be a nightmare now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So we've had a colour-based lockdown system (remember that?), two different word-based ones, and are now in a number-based one. Where does he go from here? Smells? "London was today placed in forgotten gym bag lockdown, with the rest of the south-east in slightly fishy and Cornwall remaining in underventilated cupboard".

(I originally wanted to do sounds with the Day Today "can you sum it up in a sound" clip but the smells one was funnier to me, sue me)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

The next battle is an OLED TV. I need those blacker-than-blacks. No racism.

I am currently engaged in a protracted OLED war. Even putting aside the obvious facts (a seven year old 42 inch LCD TV is not sufficient for a Playstation 5.) I am trying to open up a new front in the war by using arguments about couch distances from TV's and how 55 Inches is the minimum sized set you should be using these days.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Boris Johnson to announce he can roll his sleeves up past his elbow, tomorrow Starmer will tweet that he can roll his sleeves up past his shoulder

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBtqD-F2cpE this one's a right noisy bastard

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Borrovan posted:

There's also MeyGen, off the coast of John O Groats. When it's up & running it should be producing about 400MW.

ukle posted:

Cool cool, just 3 or 4 months late.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EvilHawk posted:

Ah ffs I need to go shopping tomorrow it's gonna be a nightmare now.

I have cheques that need to go in the bank, today was a bank holiday so tomorrow is the earliest I can go. Annoying.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Convex posted:

i think two or three times a day he just spins one of those random choice wheels with various policies written on then ignores the result and chooses whichever one sounds like the least effort

knowing the tories i think its this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

I am currently engaged in a protracted OLED war. Even putting aside the obvious facts (a seven year old 42 inch LCD TV is not sufficient for a Playstation 5.) I am trying to open up a new front in the war by using arguments about couch distances from TV's and how 55 Inches is the minimum sized set you should be using these days.