Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think you've pretty well got it, he's going to be an obligate edge rusher for someone- probably a 3-4 or Pete Carroll defense.

He doesn't really have any real experience in college it looks like, I think that hurts him with some teams(Miami)

Jordan Davis is probably a NT at the next level. He's got great bend and active arms but I don't think he's fast enough to play DE in the 3-4 on either side. He's also not that good when the line shifts away from him so I doubt you want him lining up over tackles. But even so while he doesn't do a lot of destruction in the backfield he's most definitely a presence down the middle. Saw it against Auburn and Bama. I would disagree that he's a raw prospect though. He got thrust into a starting position as a nobody recruit then spent the last two years starting before going down this year. You also see his experience with his bend and lean. I honestly think he needs to get stronger when he's getting pushed by a guard away from the point of attack. When he's head on he goes full down hill. That's still super valuable and will probably land him in the first round this year, even without production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wonder what the plan is for this year’s draft. Are we going to get an awkward in person draft where everyone is socially distanced and Goodell gives air fives to each draftee?

I can already seed dudes with really tricked out masks that match their suits.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ehud posted:

I wonder what the plan is for this year’s draft. Are we going to get an awkward in person draft where everyone is socially distanced and Goodell gives air fives to each draftee?

I can already seed dudes with really tricked out masks that match their suits.

covid restrictions will likely be loosened by then so most likely socially distanced + masks

i just watched a boxing match that took place in dallas and they were already at 50% capacity, which, y'know, loving texas, but still

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I kinda loved last years draft tbh (minus the coverage of all of the personal tragedies suffered by the players)

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The NFL will get 1st and 2nd round prospects vaccinated. Use it as a big The NFL Supports Vaccination (we're going to need a PSA campaign to get dipshits vaccinated) advertising situation and an opportunity to get some good PR.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Amy Pole Her posted:

They love athletic freaks though. Especially young ones. He’ll go too soon for miami. They’d give a top 2 for him i imagine. Bottom one maybe.

I think the highest that we've seen the Patriots(and fwiw the six drafts run by guys running this same defense) take an OLB prospect with no coverage stuff is like the 3rd round.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Doltos posted:

Jordan Davis is probably a NT at the next level. He's got great bend and active arms but I don't think he's fast enough to play DE in the 3-4 on either side. He's also not that good when the line shifts away from him so I doubt you want him lining up over tackles. But even so while he doesn't do a lot of destruction in the backfield he's most definitely a presence down the middle. Saw it against Auburn and Bama. I would disagree that he's a raw prospect though. He got thrust into a starting position as a nobody recruit then spent the last two years starting before going down this year. You also see his experience with his bend and lean. I honestly think he needs to get stronger when he's getting pushed by a guard away from the point of attack. When he's head on he goes full down hill. That's still super valuable and will probably land him in the first round this year, even without production.

I assumed we were talking about Azeez Ojulari, the Georgia OLB everyone just alludes to rather than specifically tries to type out his name.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Doltos posted:

We were talking about the OLB Azeez

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I assumed we were talking about Azeez Ojulari, the Georgia OLB everyone just alludes to rather than specifically tries to type out his name.

Oh my bad I thought we were talking about the 6'6 330lbs guy because I saw 3-4 set.

Ojulari is pretty much only a 3-4 LB and it really depends on what you want out of him. He's a surprisingly great edge setter and he shoots gaps with the best of them. Obviously that Cinci game is making him rise more now but he's always been talented. He's got that injury history from high school though. Crazy to think what you see on the field is two years out of an ACL tear.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Top of the draft is

Jacksonville - QB
NY Jets - prob QB
Miami - ???
Atlanta - ???
Cinci - Not QB
Eagles - ???

If Miami got shook from Tua's awful week 17, would they go QB again? Would Atlanta go QB if they can trade Matt Ryan somewhere? If the Eagles really like Wilson and he's around at 6, would they double down on their QB Factory bullshit and draft another one?

Or trades

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Top of the draft is

Jacksonville - QB
NY Jets - prob QB
Miami - ???
Atlanta - ???
Cinci - Not QB
Eagles - ???

If Miami got shook from Tua's awful week 17, would they go QB again? Would Atlanta go QB if they can trade Matt Ryan somewhere? If the Eagles really like Wilson and he's around at 6, would they double down on their QB Factory bullshit and draft another one?

Or trades

Ryan is still playing pretty well and they basically can’t do anything with him before June 1st because they’d immediately eat $45 million in dead money, which makes him very tough to trade.

I don’t think the Dolphins would take another QB when they’ve barely even gotten a look at Tua yet. Maybe if they had 1st overall, but not for any of the non-Trevor QBs.

Eagles are a real possibility to take a QB since Doug seems to not want to use Hurts.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Top of the draft is

Jacksonville - QB
NY Jets - prob QB
Miami - ???
Atlanta - ???
Cinci - Not QB
Eagles - ???

Or trades

Miami - Likely gets another year because of his pedigree. Sewell
Atlanta - do the new guys want to keep Ryan?
Cinci - BPA. Parsons but there's rumblings of him being a prick and Taylor aint Marvin. They don't really need another receiver but man Chase or Smith are hard to pass up. Trade down and grab your next favorite offensive lineman?
Eagles - Hurts gets a shot.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 4, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hurts is such a giant question mark. There's clearly a ton of potential there but do you think he'll ever achieve it? I don't think the Eagles pass on Fields or Wilson if they fall to 6.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Kirios posted:

Hurts is such a giant question mark. There's clearly a ton of potential there but do you think he'll ever achieve it? I don't think the Eagles pass on Fields or Wilson if they fall to 6.

Yeah, they can't pass on either of those players.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kirios posted:

Hasn’t Hurts shown more than Tua at this point? I wouldn’t blame either team for at least considering a QB here considering Fields is the #1 most years and Wilson is a guaranteed top 10 pick.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What’s the closest the Lions can come to drafting an entire defense? Stafford’s probably gone too but I doubt they draft a QB this year. Unfortunately I’m struggling to think of good underclassmen to take in 2022.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fields is almost assuredly going second overall.

Philadelphia should draft Wilson if he's there.

There was a relevant article from... FO(?) last year that actually discussed the Eagles and drafting Hurts.

Basically their argument was; drafting Hurts was a smart move because it greatly increased the chance that Philly had a franchise QB on the roster. From the Eagle's perspective before the 2020 draft, they didn't know if Carson would recover and be good again. Any individual qb draft prospect that falls out of the first has a fair chance of busting. So you had a ??? with Carson and a ??? with a second round QB, but having both greatly increased the chance of getting at least one good starting qb.

The same logic could apply for this draft. Hurts seems okay at the least, which is solid. But he's still a ??? because he didn't get a lot of playing time (lol). But if Philly drafts Wilson then the Eagles greatly increase the chance of having a franchise QB.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Sure glad we established that winning culture in Houston.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Curious on how much it matters but Miami is coaching the senior bowl, as they’ve moved up to 3 on the list and the two teams ahead of them are going through coaching changes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

Curious on how much it matters but Miami is coaching the senior bowl, as they’ve moved up to 3 on the list and the two teams ahead of them are going through coaching changes.

My brain posted:

There's no way the senior bowl is happening this year. It's scheduled for what March? They cancelled multiple bowl games there's no way.

Well I suppose the only people who have to agree with it are the NCAA and the NFL. And doesn't it happened in Alabama? Lol. The senior bowl is absolutely happening this year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They have the banners up already.
https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1346103481053155328

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ok.

So back to my actual question.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Guys will show for the senior bowl this year if it goes. Likely won't effect who you take at 3 unless Smith blows the coaches the gently caress away (assuming he goes). He's the only senior who could be in consideration at 3. It may help in who you take the rest of the draft.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 4, 2021

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ok.

So back to my actual question.

The bengals coaching staff loves the Senior Bowl, but obviously there's an asterisk on that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Guys will show for the senior bowl this year if it goes. Likely won't effect who you take at 3 unless Smith blows the coaches the gently caress away (assuming he goes). He's the only senior who could be in consideration at 3. It may help in who you take the rest of the draft.

That’s actually what I’m hoping. They coach up and fall in love with two or three guys expected to go bottom of the first and realize you don’t need to bother with overdrafting Smith.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Justin Herbert was the senior bowl MVP last year fyi

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most teams say it primarily helps with the borderline day 2/3 guys. A bunch of Bengals mid rounders are from the Senior bowl.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I still think the Jets would be dumb to move on from Darnold. He's had zero continuity and no weapons his entire tenure there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
On the other hand think of Darnold if he ends up in a better place

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Doltos posted:

I still think the Jets would be dumb to move on from Darnold. He's had zero continuity and no weapons his entire tenure there.

The receivers he had this year were not elite but any good QB could have worked with them. Darnold is extremely bad and you would be extremely dumb to not move on from him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sirtommygunn posted:

The receivers he had this year were not elite but any good QB could have worked with them. Darnold is extremely bad and you would be extremely dumb to not move on from him.

He had Jamison Crowder as his #1 and an overrated rookie as his #2. The Jets have nothing on offense and have had nothing on offense for 3 years now.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

Look, I'm not saying Darnold is good, but Lamar has bad receivers and it still looks like an embarrassment of riches when compared to the Jets. They brought in 2020 Breshad Perriman as an important piece, how can you think they are anything close to decent?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

id like to see darnold turn his career around, which is why im glad he will likely have the opportunity to escape the new york jets

jets haven't had good weapons on offense since about 2008

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Doltos posted:

The Jets have nothing on offense and have had nothing on offense for 3 years now.
This is all true and yet the correct decision is still to move on from Darnold.

You can't hamstring your head coach search by telling all the prospective candidates that they need to tie their perhaps only shot at an NFL gig to the Sam Darnold Reclamation Project, especially when he's been the literal the worst QB in the league over the past 3 years. Not happening.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Don't forget the cap costs. If Darnold can be unfucked you then have to turn around and pay him like a starting caliber QB. If you hit a home run with a rookie you get that insanely valuable 4 year period with them on a cheap deal and spend money around them. Additionaly you flip Darnold for a 2nd or something and that's even more capital to build around your rookie. Of course it all comes down to how you assess the specific QB prospects. Fields looked like the real deal against Clemson so I'd definitely roll the dice with him.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Mystic Stylez posted:

Look, I'm not saying Darnold is good, but Lamar has bad receivers and it still looks like an embarrassment of riches when compared to the Jets. They brought in 2020 Breshad Perriman as an important piece, how can you think they are anything close to decent?

I'm not saying they're good or even average, just that a good QB could have made a functional offense with them. Darnold did not even come close to "functional". This is just the usual bullshit where a draft guy liked a QB before they were drafted and makes excuses for them when they don't pan out. Darnold is terrible, his ceiling if he completely unfucks himself post-Gase is mediocre. There is absolutely no reason you stick with him if you have any chance to move on, and the Jets have the 2nd overall pick, there's no question here.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Darnold produced way less than Tannehill did under Gase and people thumbed their nose at Tannehill. The hope people have is that he is still young and could maybe figure it out elsewhere. I think for that to be true, he's gonna need to get in a good situation on a team with a clue and ride the bench behind an older star for a few years

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

While we're talking about miraculously turning bad QB's into good ones, why don't the Jets just stick with proven winner and former Elite QB Joe Flacco? He didn't have any offense to work with this year either, and did better than Darnold! How about we throw away our best chance at a new QB to stick with him?

It's the exact same argument, but somehow talking about making Flacco good is absurd on its face while turning Darnold around is somehow not only possible but reasonable enough that the Jets should seriously consider it over taking a new QB.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imo the Jags, Jets, falcons and dolphins should all draft QBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nobody is trading a second for Darnold

I double checked that BoB was gone.