Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I saw my first microwave jacket in the village today!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HookShot posted:

I feel these have been a thing for a few years now, no?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Uhhh is that a yurt?

it was a giant canvas tent with a wood burning stove. Pretty hilarious.

Residency Evil posted:

I feel these have been a thing for a few years now, no?

Canada just getting with the times.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

HookShot posted:

Was the person wearing it look like they've ever skiied a day in their lives?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

HookShot posted:

a what now?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
https://www.instagram.com/microwavesofaspen/

https://www.saintbernard.com/products/bogner-fire-ice-womens-sassy2-ski-jacket?variant=32766295146550

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Ohhhhh yeah those have been everywhere around here

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've never seen any and I'm near NYC which has its fair share of Bogner wearers but then again I stay off the beginner area of the resort.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

I've never seen any and I'm near NYC which has its fair share of Bogner wearers but then again I stay off the beginner area of the resort.

You don't ski in it! it is for walking around in your boots with your poles and then getting cosmos from the bar.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

You don't ski in it! it is for walking around in your boots with your poles and then getting cosmos from the bar.

There's nothing wrong with that! Just stay out of the lift lines

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kiimo posted:

There's nothing wrong with that! Just stay out of the lift lines

But then how will everyone hear my bf’s fire mixtape from my Bluetooth speaker?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah this was at like 11am and there is no way the jacket’s owner had ever put on a pair of skis before.

With Americans not allowed in the country this year the Texas Trends are a bit slower to get up here

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I learned how to ski when I was in 6th grade and then immediately switched to snowboarding shortly after. I stopped snowboarding around 12th grade and then picked it up again in my early 20s after college and have been going since. Fast forward to now (36) my wife also wanted to get back into skiing so I decided to join her and w headed up to baker today.

It was more successful than I would have thought. She was more confident and able on skis than she ever was on a snowboard. I was doing parallel turns and hockey stops a few runs in, feeling pretty comfortable on blues. My goal is to really work on skiing for the next year or two eventually get into backcountry stuff. Split boards just don't really appeal to me.

All in all, a good day. It felt really weird at first but thanks to years of hockey, edges weren't an unfamiliar concept, skis just felt really long.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek posted:

This vital portion of the ski town economy has supported bartending ski bums for years

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

This vital portion of the ski town economy has supported bartending ski bums for years

They don’t take up space in the lift line and their money spends the same as anyone else’s so no complaints here

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They don’t even get mad when the bartender gives me a beer ahead of them when I’m 7th in line or so.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Steve French posted:

I got out for the first time on my new touring setup today with a buddy. Real nice, had a few hiccups with the brake lock (first forgetting how to actually lock them, and then forgetting to unlock them on the first descent...)

Here’s a doggo https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dkj3xdBZRTMwHwDS9

https://strava.app.link/UtCxqMmKEcb

Monday was a good resort day, just a dusting of fresh snow but enough to be real fun still, and more terrain opening.

Yesterday also at the resort, playing ski instructor for my wife who is transitioning from snowboarding back to skiing. Went really well, to the point where she’s now asking for her own bc setup sooner than we’d sorta planned because she felt more comfortable than expected and left out of my outing today. (Don’t worry I’m not intending to get into actually teaching my wife to ski, I’ve got a lot of experience skiing but none teaching and I know that; this was more along the lines of she wanted to take the skis out, not by herself, and I came along and wasn’t going to give her zero advice)

Oh and then I swung by Squaw after today’s outing to pick up the free (!) season passes for my two three year olds. Gonna take them to the hill Friday.

In short, I’m stoked on skiing big time. And it’s gonna snow a bunch next week maybe...?

Update: first day on the real hill with the kids went great. Typical lack of crowds on new years day. Everyone did about 10 laps on the magic carpet or so, with one lap on a beginner chairlift with my daughter who was begging to ride it the whole time (my son wasn't as insistent and is a lot floppier in general so I held off on that for now...)

No tantrums, not even any real moments where they were frustrated or upset. They laughed and giggled whenever they fell. Pretty darn happy. Some photos to share stoke for any other parents of small children:

and some video evidence https://www.instagram.com/p/CJhK7V_n3VV/

Goggles and better helmets (we grabbed these from the local thrift store last winter and they're sorta falling apart) coming soon.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is all wonderful. Way to make sure the kids were having fun and driving the direction of the day.

We toured today and rode powder. I like riding powder. We still need more snow though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Awesome photos and looks like you had an awesome day Steve French! As a dad of skiers, kid stoke is my favorite.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yuns posted:

Awesome photos and looks like you had an awesome day Steve French! As a dad of skiers, kid stoke is my favorite.

Indeed! I’m excited to get them into the ski team program once they’re at the right age (maybe next year if their skills develop enough). It’ll be interesting to hear your racer dad thoughts then, especially as a former racer myself.

I was pleasantly surprised that they will ski for free this winter and next; season passes for kids under 5 are free at Squaw. How common is that for areas others in the thread ski? Pretty sure we had to pay in CNY growing up (though once we got into the race program and started doing well our passes were comped, which I doubt Squaw would do)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
In utah it changes every year but they usually have something like "your 5th grader can ski free at all utah resorts this year" or "your 3rd graders can ski for $1 a day at any utah resort this year."

It's the latter one this year I think. Pretty nifty (my only kid is a cat though, and he's 16 today so happy birthday mr grandpa cat!)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I know Tremblant used to have free season tickets for young kids so long as the parent had one and even if the parent didn't have one the little kids season tickets were super cheap. (Now that it's Ikon that has all changed)

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

gently caress Vail, Marry El Niño, Kill Your Base (sorry if the joke has been done, I’m new.)

White Mountains report: 6-8 inches heavy powder on a base of wet grass, rocks and sticks. Snowed last night on mostly bare ground so I went out for a few laps pretty much out of desperation. First time out this season. Turns were fun if heavy, and the cover was mostly adequate, but I did get a couple gouges under one foot stopping hard for some snowshoers. I was eying new skis anyway, and these ones are pretty perfect to be relegated to rock ski duty.

e: I tried to post a picture but I cannot figure out awful app tonight

ought ten fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 3, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Indeed! I’m excited to get them into the ski team program once they’re at the right age (maybe next year if their skills develop enough). It’ll be interesting to hear your racer dad thoughts then, especially as a former racer myself.

I was pleasantly surprised that they will ski for free this winter and next; season passes for kids under 5 are free at Squaw. How common is that for areas others in the thread ski? Pretty sure we had to pay in CNY growing up (though once we got into the race program and started doing well our passes were comped, which I doubt Squaw would do)

Epic pass has been free for 4 and under. I assume it still is but I have no kids.

Meanwhile outside the resort...

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Steve French posted:

I was pleasantly surprised that they will ski for free this winter and next; season passes for kids under 5 are free at Squaw. How common is that for areas others in the thread ski?

Kids 6 and under ski free in Aspen. On a related note I've now got my almost 3 y/o doing T to B's on Buttermilk's main lift, or as she calls them, "teedle e's".

1800 vert, the bunny hill is 100. So she's getting 18 runs in one shot. She noticeably progresses on each run, it's pretty rad. On the first run we did, she couldn't turn at the top and was making turns at the bottom.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 3, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

ironlung posted:

Kids 6 and under ski free in Aspen. On a related note I've now got my almost 3 y/o doing T to B's on Buttermilk's main lift, or as she calls them, "teedle e's".

1800 vert, the bunny hill is 100. So she's getting 18 runs in one shot. She noticeably progresses on each run, it's pretty rad. On the first run we did, she couldn't turn at the top and was making turns at the bottom.

Nice. It’s a bummer that there’s nothing like that at Squaw/Alpine; there aren’t really any sustained green runs.

We went back out today, it was a bit shorter mainly because the drizzly weather and weekenders were testing the patience of the adults. Kids did great again, no complaining, some pretty long stretches on skis themselves. Still not much progress towards the snowplow yet.

We did take both of them up the short chair today, so now that my wife and I are both comfortable taking them on the lifts our options are a lot broader. The magic carpet is a bit of a shitshow at times in a way that chairlifts aren’t.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've decided it's time for a new snowboard as I can see the base starting to split apart from the tail tip on my 2014 Arbor Westmark. Anyone got opinions on their favorites in the "all mountain freestyle" category? I've been on true twin rocker boards for a long time now but it seems like a lot of the higher rated boards now are mostly regular camber or some kinda combo that are very slightly directional. I don't ride much park anymore, but still want one "quiver killer" that's mid-flexing and fun everywhere across the resorts. I have no complaints about my Arbor and was leaning towards staying with them and picking up a Coda Rocker or Shiloh (if they aren't gonna be too stiff for me, my knees are kinda trash), but there are so many other good looking choices nowadays.

Varg fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 3, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Never summer west maybe?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We got our shots and booked a trip to Vail for mid February. :toot:

Edit: crested butte or park city for a 3-4 day trip in March? Never been to butt. Last time I skied park city the snow was poo poo.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 3, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

How was the recoil from the shot? Just had a patroller buddy say it put him down for two days with a nasty headache.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We got a meter over the last two days, 180kph gusts, and insane Christmas crowds.

I'm going up on Tuesday and it should be all-time. I'll still find some fresh.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moot .1415926535 posted:

How was the recoil from the shot? Just had a patroller buddy say it put him down for two days with a nasty headache.

I got it last week and really had no symptoms other than a sore arm for a few days, kind of like getting a flu shot. I've had a headache the last two days but who knows if that's related. :shrug:

My wife is getting her second dose this week and that's supposed to be a bit worse, so we'll see.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Varg posted:

I've decided it's time for a new snowboard as I can see the base starting to split apart from the tail tip on my 2014 Arbor Westmark. Anyone got opinions on their favorites in the "all mountain freestyle" category? I've been on true twin rocker boards for a long time now but it seems like a lot of the higher rated boards now are mostly regular camber or some kinda combo that are very slightly directional. I don't ride much park anymore, but still want one "quiver killer" that's mid-flexing and fun everywhere across the resorts. I have no complaints about my Arbor and was leaning towards staying with them and picking up a Coda Rocker or Shiloh (if they aren't gonna be too stiff for me, my knees are kinda trash), but there are so many other good looking choices nowadays.

I’m a big fan of modern camber (camber in between flat/rocker underfoot) for all mountain/freestyle riding. I got a DC Ply this year and absolutely love it. Pretty much all of DC’s boards have a skatelike feel — super light and responsive on a whim, but with the Ply I still manage to charge and ride wherever I want to. They feel a bit like Capita boards, but I might only think that because both companies make their boards at the Mothership.
If you’re on the heavier side of things, the DC Mega is essentially the Ply with some extra oomph to it

w/r/t directional, I have zero complaints about my Custom, but I do lowkey wish I bought the Hometown Hero instead. Directional camber with rocker off the front foot to tip. Super fun board to charge/tree run with, and gives you a surf-like feel not just with powder, but the fact that it lets you drive off of your back foot with no issue. Both of these boards are on the stiffer side of things, although if you were looking for a more playful directional board the K2 Manifest is like a softer Custom in my opinion

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Took out Partial Octopus on his first tour. He did really well. I think he is very hooked. (although maybe not 8 mile, 3700' days at 12000' :) )

Shot of me and my other buddy on a little 27 degree, 800' vert party run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZgUarCeuNo

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Wanna shuffle up mountains for a while? Ok, here's the view!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mad River Glen, Ski It If You Can

My first day out for the year and I discovered a loving hairline crack in my left boot, right in front of the buckle ( to the left -- the line down the center is actually a seam).

Because I'm in VT, and was at MRG, instead of saying "lol bin those", the guy at the repair shop said "well, depending on what tools you have, you could cut a little channel there, apoxy the living hell out of it, and then keep an eye on it".

Am I correct in thinking I should just.... bin these, and buy new boots? I've never had a crack quite like this before, but I did have a boot fail once. Of course this will just get worse, and the idea of coming down off a 3' jump or whatever and having my boot just explode seems... bad? So I guess I should suck it up and go spend $3-500? I got these used for like one fiddy midseason in 2018 so this is not catastrophic, just annoying (and makes me not want more used boots).

edit: random forum says:

quote:

With a crack at the shell overlap (which is common with boots) you can do this. But the OP said he has a crack at the toe. A crack in this area is quite the problem as tons of forces are put on the boot in this area. If the crack is at the toe on the main shell drilling a hole might stop the crack from spreading in one direction, but the boot may still catastrophically fail. If Salomon will not warranty the boots, the best bet is to replace the boot rather than risk serious injury.

This is, technically, in the overlap -- but it's the very edge of the overlap and goes up into the toe. I don't think drilling into there is a good idea, and it's probably better to spend money I don't quite exactly have, than to be alarmed all season and/or wreck myself.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 4, 2021

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Mad River Glen, Ski It If You Can

My first day out for the year and I discovered a loving hairline crack in my left boot, right in front of the buckle ( to the left -- the line down the center is actually a seam).

Because I'm in VT, and was at MRG, instead of saying "lol bin those", the guy at the repair shop said "well, depending on what tools you have, you could cut a little channel there, apoxy the living hell out of it, and then keep an eye on it".

Am I correct in thinking I should just.... bin these, and buy new boots? I've never had a crack quite like this before, but I did have a boot fail once. Of course this will just get worse, and the idea of coming down off a 3' jump or whatever and having my boot just explode seems... bad? So I guess I should suck it up and go spend $3-500? I got these used for like one fiddy midseason in 2018 so this is not catastrophic, just annoying (and makes me not want more used boots).

edit: random forum says:

This is, technically, in the overlap -- but it's the very edge of the overlap and goes up into the toe. I don't think drilling into there is a good idea, and it's probably better to spend money I don't quite exactly have, than to be alarmed all season and/or wreck myself.

I'd suggest new boots.

I don't have any experience with anyone out there but I've heard there are good boot fitters in VT.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

How old are the boots? Because if it was caused by the plastic being brittle I wouldn't repair.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'd suggest new boots.

I don't have any experience with anyone out there but I've heard there are good boot fitters in VT.

Yuns posted:

How old are the boots? Because if it was caused by the plastic being brittle I wouldn't repair.

I didn't seriously entertain the idea of doing much besides binning these. If it was a crack at the back, maybe, but the toe area gets so much tension this is just hosed, and these were used when I got them which means I didn't spend that much on them.

I have an appointment with a boot fitter on Friday and it sounds like I probably want to be prepared to spend $500 for the kind of skiing I do. (Nothing insane or high speed, but I do like the woods a lot, I like deep powder and mogul glades, etc). I could go back and get another pair of used boots for $150 instead, but I've never owned brand new properly fitted boots, so I am going to go keep the appointment, and maybe see about selling a $500 magic card or some loving thing because I absolutely did not budget for this this year.

edit: the boot I had fail was a pair of used Rossis, and I had just made a run down Killington, so thankfully I was at the bottom. It was subzero (F). I lifted my foot and slammed it down to knock snow and ice off my ski, and the front half of the boot just completely came off, and the ski started to slide away. I hobbled into the repair shop with one sock half sticking out. Shop person thought it was the funniest thing they had seen all week, and asked me for the cracked boot to hang on the wall.

I forgot to look and see if it was still there last season, I don't do Killington unless there are touristas in town. In any case, having had one boot explode at the safe, flat, bottom of a mountain, I have little desire to have that happen when I'm working my way through glades.

edit: VVV

bawfuls posted:

Used boots :stare:

Boots are expensive and that is a lovely unexpected way to have to shell out for another pair, but buying boots second hand seems like a recipe for a bad time

Yes, it was an impulse decision two years ago, I was sick of renting but didn't have a grand to drop on a new setup so I spent $300 on a used setup. I will end up spending that same grand, plus $300, of course, but I'm spreading it out over a longer time period.

Also FWIW I feeel 100% differently on this subject w/r/t snowshoes and x-country skis -- if you're doing very basic, not super exciting cross country skiing, I think a used setup makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Used gear in general is extremely common here because we're a state with a ton of skiing and a median family income of under 60k.

I am going to have them take a close look at the skis while I am there, too. I'm going to be up for a new pair of those within a couple years I expect, and I will probably also try to go with new gear this time. The problem is that I want all the things (alpine, AT, x-country) as well as a loving snowmobile and god knows what else, and all these things can be more expensive than God if you let them.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Used boots :stare:

Boots are expensive and that is a lovely unexpected way to have to shell out for another pair, but buying boots second hand seems like a recipe for a bad time