Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

VinylonUnderground posted:

How necessary is sound in this game? Because of life I usually play games with the sound off. Would that work here? Since it is isometric, I'm assuming pausing is also easy, is that correct?

there's no real-time pressure of any kind (or in-game time pressure either, really, despite what the plot might imply). all choices/"combat" are in dialogue which will happily wait for you until the cows come home, and in-game time only passes when you pick a dialogue option.

sound I would heavily recommended. most of the voice acting in this game is incredible, and the soundtrack is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Great that people are talking about FOMO because every time I try to get going with this game, I go back to the character creation screen and wonder about what are the "best" stats. I keep reading about how even losing is great in this game, about how I should just enjoy myself, etc, but I keep trying to min max it. IS there a "good build" or just try to go with the flow?

Also, is it just me or are the pre built stat distributions not good?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Great that people are talking about FOMO because every time I try to get going with this game, I go back to the character creation screen and wonder about what are the "best" stats. I keep reading about how even losing is great in this game, about how I should just enjoy myself, etc, but I keep trying to min max it. IS there a "good build" or just try to go with the flow?

yes, this game is about failure, among other things. asking for a "best" build is missing a key point.

all stat distributions are good because the game rewards every one, just in different ways

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

all stat distributions are good because the game rewards every one, just in different ways

I guess I just took the LP thread advice of "Don't have any stat lower than 2 or higher than 4 if you don't know what you are doing" to heart.

Not to mention that I keep hearing about how there are entire sequences where you can lose multiple health/morale points at once. As hilarious as dying from turning on a light is, I don't want that to keep happenning to me all throughout the game.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 4, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oh, yeah, that's fair: it's simpler to have at least 2 in both fys and psy to give yourself that much health/morale. it's not necessary in the slightest because this game operates on earthbound rules - when you take fatal damage, you have like ten seconds to use a healing item to not have a heart attack/mental breakdown, which can be done at any time. but yeah, 2+ fys prevents you from killing yourself on your tie before you get any meds.

but I would definitely disagree about "not higher than 4." jack-of-all-trades and idiot savant are both rewarded. the point is how you navigate the story rather than going through a Good Detective Work Simulator. my first playthrough was the default build with 5 intellect and signature skill encyclopedia, and me and my precious idiot nerd had a ball

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess I just took the LP thread advice of "Don't have any stat lower than 2 or higher than 4 if you don't know what you are doing" to heart.

Not to mention that I keep hearing about how there are entire sequences where you can lose multiple health/morale points at once. As hilarious as dying from turning on a light is, I don't want that to keep happenning to me all throughout the game.

Most people don't realize that there is a short grace period to heal yourself when you lose your last hp/morale point. As long as you have healing items, and you should have plenty, you'll be fine.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess I just took the LP thread advice of "Don't have any stat lower than 2 or higher than 4 if you don't know what you are doing".

Yeah, that caused me to uninstall the game after 3.4 hours, I got hosed by RNG over and over again and could never make it past the first day. I keep hearing about how good this game is but RNG fuckery is just intensely annoying and apparently the whole game kinda revolves around that. Maybe I should try again with a more balanced build.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

but I would definitely disagree about "not higher than 4." jack-of-all-trades and idiot savant are both rewarded. the point is how you navigate the story rather than going through a Good Detective Work Simulator. my first playthrough was the default build with 5 intellect and signature skill encyclopedia, and me and my precious idiot nerd had a ball
6 allows you to pass the vast majority of associated checks. 8 gets you all or almost all of them.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

bees everywhere posted:

Yeah, that caused me to uninstall the game after 3.4 hours, I got hosed by RNG over and over again and could never make it past the first day. I keep hearing about how good this game is but RNG fuckery is just intensely annoying and apparently the whole game kinda revolves around that. Maybe I should try again with a more balanced build.

first off, forgive me for constantly posting apologia. but this game is such a god-drat masterpiece that encouraging people to play it is probably more worthwhile than a lot of the trivial bullshit I do, so.

anyway, you really didn't get hosed over by RNG, I promise you! even if you roll snake eyes and fail on a 97% chance, it never, ever means you can't progress any more. an awful gently caress-up cop who can't keep his poo poo together thanks to a 1 in every stat is equally capable as every other distribution of finishing the game. you will always flow towards the end, it's just a question of which particular shoals you pass

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What Ive been doing so far is to stock skill points

Unless I already know I need a point on X to get something, Ill keep the points until find a situation where I need to pass a skill check and than I use it on that skill

And other than that Ive been investing on empathy, logic, encyclopedia, perception or the visual thing, cause they seems to be the most common to help in dialogs. Its kinda working, Ive already got my gun and badge, recovered the body, made a bunch of other quests, most of the church stuff (I think). But I am a bit afraid Im going to get eventually locked out of progressing cause of my bad use of skill points

And Im totally lost on thoughts, I have no idea what to invest on or how much should I be investing on them

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My first run was 2/2/2/6 or something and no regrets (though I feel kind of abandoned without Composure and Reaction Speed in conversations now.). Press tab, highlight stuff and pick it up.

I don't think that many morale/health losses are RNG based? Any passive check in conversation (one you didn't explicitly click on as a dialogue coice) is a fixed roll + your stat.

Though there are a few things to alleviate the pressure. Tips behind spoilers Talk the Lena in the wheelchair asap and admit you don't know what is going on. Then go talk to Joyce on her yacht in the upper-right of the town map. Jamais Vu and 15th Indotribe are thoughts that give you XP and a trickle of cash for poking at the green orbs of 'examine this thing' dotted around. It's not A LOT, but it can tip the scales. There are crazier things but they involve more faff, while doing this is compatible with any playstyle.

Also, the game doesn't say this but if you buy +3 health/morale medicine, it just adds 3 to your healing total. It's not a "If you take this at 1 damage you waste some."

EDIT : Keep a couple of skill points in your pocket if you want to retry white checks. Make your own choice about saving and reloading. As for thoughts, you need to choose between looking stuff up, or the joy/regret of exploring for yourself. A bunch are handy and slightly better than buying a skill by one. (also learning caps). Some are not.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 4, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

first off, forgive me for constantly posting apologia. but this game is such a god-drat masterpiece that encouraging people to play it is probably more worthwhile than a lot of the trivial bullshit I do, so.

anyway, you really didn't get hosed over by RNG, I promise you! even if you roll snake eyes and fail on a 97% chance, it never, ever means you can't progress any more. an awful gently caress-up cop who can't keep his poo poo together thanks to a 1 in every stat is equally capable as every other distribution of finishing the game. you will always flow towards the end, it's just a question of which particular shoals you pass

I think we've been conditioned to game a certain way. I did a 4/4/2/2 roll the first play through, then cheated with a 5/5/5/5 and it was less satisfying. I think picking out your favorite skills and then letting whatever happens happens is fun as hell, but for example on my current playthrough I still can't get the loving tie off the fan and it does legit give me anxiety.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
My best run was a max physical/half light run and I look forward to do it the gently caress again when the final cut comes out

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My next playthough is definitely going to be with a mod that separates all skills from their group, don't want shivers giving brutecop any funny ideas.

Speaking of mods, I ran cheatengine just for the running speed hack and it was a godsend. Would be nice if the revised edition had some fast travel points maybe just at the east/centre/west-most points.

Kim: 'Your pants are soaked because you wrapped your tie around your eyes and ran across the shore flapping your arms while shouting "I am the majestic fuckupatoo". I barely saved you from drowning.'

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 4, 2021

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I get why they don't want insta-travel to literally anywhere, but two or three points you could move between would be nice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AceOfFlames posted:

4/3/3/2 in any order, with a signature skill in one of your 3's, is a good build if you only want to play the game once, deeply. If you're fine with playing the game multiple times more shallowly (just ignoring things you haven't got the stats for if you don't get some compensatory redirection when you fail them) you can go in as one of the premades and immediately take the chance to volumetrically compress your poo poo/become a magnesium-based life form to put some points in not dying/not snapping if you need them, then just go about the game.

But aside from your health and morale bars, what skills are really for is deciding how much you want to hear from them during the story. Going up to a total of 6 is going to get you most stuff they have to say. There's some 8s and 10s here and there on the later days if you're otherwise good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

on my first playthrough I didn't get the body down until late day 2 and it sat there overnight. I haven't done it, but I've read it's possible to complete the game without ever actually getting the body down, which sounds plausible to me. Titus and company show up regardless and it's through them that the plot progresses, so with the stats and appropriate modifiers you could get by their checks without the bonuses from examining the body. is it possible?

Extremely possible. (mechanics spoilers) You don't even need stats for it. If you fail the checks with the Hardies three times, Kim will just step in and do it for you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Elias_Maluco posted:

And Im totally lost on thoughts, I have no idea what to invest on or how much should I be investing on them
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1894736429

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Thank you

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ah they finally figured out how to get toque dork and the jamrock shuffle

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Unbalanced builds are the best. 1/1/5/5 is great and I successfully completed every quest with it (barring karaoke). Next time I'm going for 5/5/1/1.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Verviticus posted:

Or rather, the bug preventing people from getting these was eventually solved.

(Though Torque Dork was genuinely extremely obscure)

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
im buying one of those loving metal posters. has anyone else ordered one?

i want some kind of physical keepsake of this game because i love it so much but i can't stomach the $250 for the collector edition. i shall settle for $100 for a large metal slab

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Verviticus posted:

I thought it was literally toque dork and not torque dork and got excited about a thought cabinet slot for my canadian hat :saddowns:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve been looking at a few blind play throughs and streams in my quest for distractions at work. A surprising amount of them come up to the first mirror, get to the part where Inland Empire gives what seems to be a facetious warning to turn back, and then actually take that warning seriously and leave the mirror. What’s the world coming to?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Dom is Here posted:

i want some kind of physical keepsake of this game because i love it so much but i can't stomach the $250 for the collector edition. i shall settle for $100 for a large metal slab

I felt the same way and got the fold out vinyl because the soundtrack is too perfect not to display in my home.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very jazzed to play this soon, with the console release and whatnot. Sounds very very cool.

Been reading the tips and takes on points and skills a bit. Also, the nutty entertaining deaths remind me of the Space Quest games and Sierra in general. Those ruled.

So, been thinking what kind of character I'll make. I figure conversations are the key thing of interest, so I'll probably want to lean on Psyche, with some Intellect. But in RPGs I tend to be tanky since I don't want to die easily, so gotta put some points in Physique. Which leaves me thinking Motorics would be the low one.

So searched for "do you need motorics", see post on reddit saying it's OP and the best, and that Physique has the most downsides (thoughts telling you dumb stuff etc), so I'm taking that into consideration.

Also for roleplaying, I'd like to be somebody like Marlowe meets The Dude meets Tex Murphy meets Jeffrey B from Blue Velvet. In other words, nice and funny detective who is also a little eccentric.

So, what would give me good joking dialogue choices, but "nice"? Is there an option in that ballpark? Since on most RPGs the joke button is the sarcasm/dick button that may make characters unhappy. Just wanna be funny and weird if possible, while also having high empathy and good guy-ness. That said, I know plans are just plans, and will go with the flow.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 6, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Heavy Metal posted:

Very jazzed to play this soon, with the console release and whatnot. Sounds very very cool.

Been reading the tips and takes on points and skills a bit. Also, the nutty entertaining deaths remind me of the Space Quest games and Sierra in general. Those ruled.

So, been thinking what kind of character I'll make. I figure conversations are the key thing of interest, so I'll probably want to lean on Psyche, with some Intellect. But in RPGs I tend to be tanky since I don't want to die easily, so gotta put some points in Physique. Which leaves me thinking Motorics would be the low one.

So searched for "do you need motorics", see post on reddit saying its OP and the best, and that Physical has the most downsides (thoughts telling you dumb stuff etc), so I'm taking that into consideration.

Also for roleplaying, I'd like to be somebody like Marlowe meets The Dude meets Tex Murphy meets Jeffrey B from Blue Velvet. In other words, nice and funny detective who is also a little eccentric.

So, what would give me good joking dialogue choices, but "nice"? Is that am option in that ballpark? Since on most RPGs the joke button is the sarcasm/dick button that may make characters unhappy. Just wanna be funny and weird if possible, while also having high empathy and good guy-ness. That said, I know plans are just plans, and will go with the flow.

Load up on Inland Empire and Conceptualization. Maybe Electrochemistry as well.

Say lots of things inclined to warn Them of the coming end and/or proving how much of a superstar you are, even if you fail at basic pistol marksman ship or shutting down teenagers harassing you or asserting your authority to gruff workers

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Everything is dialogue, all skills affect dialogue. Is the short (and maybe technically incorrect) answer.

Mostly you can be what you want regardless of your skills. Inland Empire and Shivers are the skills mostly in charge of putting you in contact with the weirdness of the world. (Weirdness may or may not be in your own head)

Drama and Suggestion might suit you. Empathy is powerful but not always nice. Mostly though, skills just advise you. There are SOME cases where they add or remove options (and make you fail or succeed).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dom is Here posted:

I have never even been remotely interested in any of this nerd tat merchandise until now, but some of those key art images look absolutely beautiful blown up unto onto scale ... I'm sorely tempted

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the character tips, fun stuff to ponder.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's important to note that there is zero combat. None. No fights. Your physical stats are just about how much health you have. Health only comes into play if you make choices that come with the risk of harming yourself, you can always immediately click the Heal button to get the point back. Generally speaking have at least two health for mental and physical so you don't have to be quick on the trigger finger to heal back one health

As for the update coming up,I went full sorry cop/ shivers my first time, second time through in the new updated version im going to be a esprit de corps/hardlight/inland empire guy in playthrough 2. I never got the full pale convo to explain it, and I never got anything with the necktie. I have to fix that. :getin:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

thecluckmeme posted:

It's important to note that there is zero combat. None. No fights. Your physical stats are just about how much health you have. Health only comes into play if you make choices that come with the risk of harming yourself, you can always immediately click the Heal button to get the point back. Generally speaking have at least two health for mental and physical so you don't have to be quick on the trigger finger to heal back one health

As for the update coming up,I went full sorry cop/ shivers my first time, second time through in the new updated version im going to be a esprit de corps/hardlight/inland empire guy in playthrough 2. I never got the full pale convo to explain it, and I never got anything with the necktie. I have to fix that. :getin:

That's not true, there is combat, it's just that it's handled within the dialog system.

Also you can count the number of fights on one hand :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Heavy Metal posted:

So, what would give me good joking dialogue choices, but "nice"? Is there an option in that ballpark? Since on most RPGs the joke button is the sarcasm/dick button that may make characters unhappy. Just wanna be funny and weird if possible, while also having high empathy and good guy-ness. That said, I know plans are just plans, and will go with the flow.

As a cop, any intentional laugh lines on your part are, necessarily, punching down. If you want to be a nice guy who says funny things, you'll have to be a little more deadpan and say things that will get you laughed at.

Dr Christmas posted:

I've been looking at a few blind play throughs and streams in my quest for distractions at work. A surprising amount of them come up to the first mirror, get to the part where Inland Empire gives what seems to be a facetious warning to turn back, and then actually take that warning seriously and leave the mirror. What's the world coming to?

Inland Empire swaps between being absolutely unhelpfully prescient and shattering the fourth wall for fun. That comment is equal parts Tequila Sunset's hatred of what he has become and a "warning" about replacing your blurry dialogue portrait.

Seriously, though, I can't think of many games that do what Disco Elysium does, which is give you voices in your head that trigger based on skill numbers, but that you don't necessarily want to listen to. Plenty of people have ultra bounced off the game just by leaning on previous gaming instincts.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve been looking at a few blind play throughs and streams in my quest for distractions at work. A surprising amount of them come up to the first mirror, get to the part where Inland Empire gives what seems to be a facetious warning to turn back, and then actually take that warning seriously and leave the mirror. What’s the world coming to?

It's not a facetious warning, Inland Empire is very serious (and correct) that you won't like what you see.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dr Christmas posted:

Links to said lps, please?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Mulva posted:

Surprise, that's what the RCM are doing at the end of the game..

What, really? I don't remember that in the ending.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

What, really? I don't remember that in the ending.

With enough Esprit de Corps, the very last lines of the game are the captain of the department going through the roster and deciding which of the officers have revolutionary potential.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I guess I didn't pass that check; which is understandable as I didn't give much to Esprit de Corps. I wonder if I can find it somewhere on the internet, I'd hate to play the game again from start to finish just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I guess I didn't pass that check; which is understandable as I didn't give much to Esprit de Corps. I wonder if I can find it somewhere on the internet, I'd hate to play the game again from start to finish just for that.

Arist's LP here on the forums has it in its last update.