Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Muk Dumpster posted:

Just started FFVII for the first time ever

Ain't no getting offa this train we're on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

multijoe posted:

It does suck poo poo when you fail a trial and the next attempt is basically a write off because you need to farm ammo and health up first

Just reset from a checkpoint or die

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

Nah, I was just thinking about pirated Switch games.

If it’s a decent emulation machine I might as well hack it then. All the actual Switch games plus RetroArch is doubly amazing. I’m a whore for 3D, but this might end up beating out my hacked 3DS as my favorite system ever.

Be careful if it's your only/primary Switch. I think it's possible to do emulators without being banned, but Nintendo is handing out eShop/online bans more often. Anyway, this should move to the homebrew thread.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fly Ricky posted:

I know this is a better question for the home brew thread, but since it came up; can someone give me a quick explanation of what I can do a hacked switch? I’ll do it if there’s some benefit beyond piracy.
The boring one: You can backup all your games (digital and cartridge) for some future where the only way to play Switch titles is through an emulator and you don't want to pirate them.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Len posted:

They want me to rip and tear but don't give enough bullets to rip and tear! I'm real bad at shooters and spent a lot of the time making sure walls are definitely dead

I pride myself on being able to paint a perfect silhouette of an enemy in any given shooter.

Apparently marauders die quickly to blood punches and chainguns, which isn't obvious and I can see how I missed it. But, yeah, fodder enemies infinite respawn because they're fodder, and you even regen a chainsaw fuel so you can refill your ammo at basically any time. Don't get me wrong; I dislike marauders' gameplay design for a bunch of other reasons but being required to hoard to beat them is not one.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Muk Dumpster posted:

Enjoy! Enemy skills materia is way over powered although you also need the manipulate materia to get the most out of it. Try manipulating monsters and having them heal you. I just started up a game last night and its still fun. I think the backgrounds are gorgeous and the polygonal characters have grown on me.

There's no wrong way to play.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
My only real complaint about FF7 on the Switch is that it's based on the PC version mostly. This is good in a sense, as a lot of the more glaring translation errors and bad grammar were fixed, but it also means the character models have mouths and it looks so wrong to me after playing the Playstation version for years. At least they fixed permanent O face Sephiroth.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Twelve by Pies posted:

My only real complaint about FF7 on the Switch is that it's based on the PC version mostly. This is good in a sense, as a lot of the more glaring translation errors and bad grammar were fixed, but it also means the character models have mouths and it looks so wrong to me after playing the Playstation version for years. At least they fixed permanent O face Sephiroth.

Uh oh... is it the MIDI soundtrack or is it more like the PS version? Can remember being so disappointed with that when I bought it back in high school.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Len posted:

They want me to rip and tear but don't give enough bullets to rip and tear! I'm real bad at shooters and spent a lot of the time making sure walls are definitely dead

I didn't realize this for a while, but the last bar of the chainsaw refuels automatically. Use it liberally on fodder enemies to get huge chunks of ammo back, and your ammo woes will be over.

I really like the ammo system in Eternal because all of the weapons are strong and they all have a niche that sees me constantly swapping weapons anyway - sticky grenades for weak points/cacodemons that I can punch, micro-missiles for softening up lots of enemies, plasma for shields, rockets for jerks, super shotgun for armor and general use, chaingun for big jerks, ballista for cacodemons at range, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Muk Dumpster posted:

oof

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mall Santa Metis posted:

this is so tempting

Do it please.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1346115285745610752

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dont kinkshame

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Uh oh... is it the MIDI soundtrack or is it more like the PS version? Can remember being so disappointed with that when I bought it back in high school.

PS1 version.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Takoluka posted:

PS1 version.

lmao if they ported the lovely broken Eidos version from like 1998. I lent that to a friend in high school and then she graduated and I never saw her again. Taken by Eidos

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This thread goes bananas over Obra Dinn every time it's brought up, so I picked it up. I've seen all the memories and solved 9 fates and I guess I just don't really get it. The presentation was sort of cool, but having to walk all over the ship to retrigger memories is a bit of a pain, and the graphics make facial recognition, which would normally be the first thing a detective used as a clue, annoyingly difficult.

Help sell me on this game, because I'd love to love it like people here seem to do, but at this rate I'm not really compelled to keep playing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Poque posted:

lmao if they ported the lovely broken Eidos version from like 1998. I lent that to a friend in high school and then she graduated and I never saw her again. Taken by Eidos

The pre-rendered backgrounds are the worst in the most recent releases. They've degraded with every release because they've never gone back to redo them. :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dckf-r8seks

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

dantheman650 posted:

This thread goes bananas over Obra Dinn every time it's brought up, so I picked it up. I've seen all the memories and solved 9 fates and I guess I just don't really get it. The presentation was sort of cool, but having to walk all over the ship to retrigger memories is a bit of a pain, and the graphics make facial recognition, which would normally be the first thing a detective used as a clue, annoyingly difficult.

Help sell me on this game, because I'd love to love it like people here seem to do, but at this rate I'm not really compelled to keep playing.

I have fond memories of solving those logic puzzles that are like "who was sitting next to whom at the dinner table and eating what dish?" Having to walk all over the ship can be a bit of a chore, especially once you get to some memory-within-a-memory cases, but the game scratches that very specific itch like nothing else before it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mister Facetious posted:

The pre-rendered backgrounds are the worst in the most recent releases. They've degraded with every release because they've never gone back to redo them. :effort:

Oh yeah they have gotten incredibly trash. It's pretty funny to play FF9 and see the really lovely new hi-res polygon patterns against like 640x480 backgrounds.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

i was gonna make a smug remark about how the backgrounds haven't gotten worse, your monitor has just gotten better

but i watched the video and lmao they actually went over and blurred the backgrounds more to make them worse :iiam:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Your Computer posted:

i was gonna make a smug remark about how the backgrounds haven't gotten worse, your monitor has just gotten better

but i watched the video and lmao they actually went over and blurred the backgrounds more to make them worse :iiam:

Adding some sweet N64 blur so you can imagine what might have been :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In Obra Dinn Bitter Cold 1

There's apparently 23 people in this memory, some of the cots are numbered which matches up with the roster i've got that. But why does number 52 have an X instead of a number?

edit: named the chapter right

Len fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 4, 2021

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Lucky I have nothing else to compare ff7 to so I just feel like im playing an old game

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Len posted:

In Obra Dinn Bitter Cold 1

There's apparently 23 people in this memory, some of the cots are numbered which matches up with the roster i've got that. But why does number 52 have an X instead of a number?

edit: named the chapter right

There's no given explanation, according to the wiki.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Muk Dumpster posted:

I loved it on my first play through last summer. It’s not as good as 6 but it succeeds for getting it right the first time despite being such an ambitious game. It’s a good game.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm resisting the urge to buy it on the switch.

It would be my 5th copy of the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mister Facetious posted:

Meanwhile the chad SaGa Frontier Remastered is getting AI upscaling for everything. Thanks Kawazu.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Meanwhile the chad SaGa Frontier Remastered is getting AI upscaling for everything. Thanks Kawazu.

If that game didn't scale enemies so that it never felt like you were making progress with combats I'd be a lot more interested in it.
As such I only ever completed maybe half of the stories. :-/

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Quick question (that's probably been asked before but I couldn't find it)

I currently have BOTW on cartridge. Can I buy the digital version and have my save etc come across? Does the same happen if I get the expansions?

Thanks

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yes. Physical and digital versions of games have the same saves in general. There may be a couple odd exceptions, but BotW at least has the same saves, speaking from experience.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Has the switch always honked if you use ZR at the “press the same button three times” prompt?
ZL has a different sound too but it’s not as funny

E: yes, yes it has

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a cat irl posted:

Has the switch always honked if you use ZR at the “press the same button three times” prompt?
ZL has a different sound too but it’s not as funny

E: yes, yes it has
it has, and i refuse to ever use a different button

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

dantheman650 posted:

The appeal of the game for me was the specific logic puzzle gameplay. It's like LSAT questions turned into a video game.

Above and beyond that, the graphics, the music, and the excellent (and unexpectedly twist-y) story are what made it so memorable for me.

But yeah, if solving those kinds of logic puzzles isn't your bag, the game is probably not for you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's made by the same person who made Papers Please, another very stylistic and interesting "non-game". I'm excited to see what they're working on next.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

If that game didn't scale enemies so that it never felt like you were making progress with combats I'd be a lot more interested in it.
As such I only ever completed maybe half of the stories. :-/

You played that game a lot for not being interested

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat u got him!!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lets hang out posted:

Sick..own?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

lets hang out posted:

Hi let me introduce you to negative steam game reviews with people that have 200+ hour play time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Not really, the individual stories in that game are really short. Like 5-10 hours short for some of them.

I just want to see the other stories, but the combat wasn't the best part of Saga at all.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Asking here since I haven't gotten any straight answers- when doing a full system transfer to a new Switch, do I need a new microSD card in the receiving system or can I just plug in the one from the source?