Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Sean Bean will never vanish; GoT was more like the culmination of an amazing career for him (he got killed off when the show was good).

Also, Jason Momoa went on to do Aquaman after the show, and Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams have gone on to do a bunch of other stuff that was average-to-semi-successful (Turner was Jean Grey in the new X-Men films, Williams went on to have a run on Doctor Who and has done a couple little films).

Reminder that Maisie Williams was--and is--an amazing actress who showed incredible commitment to the role right to the end. She even learned how to fight left-handed (despite being a righty) because Arya in the books was left-handed.

drat it, forgot about Momoa. Arguably the biggest post GoT success.

Williams and Turner being in Dark Phoenix and New Mutants I’d put in the “toilet” category. I feel bad for them that they probably were thinking they’d be in great superhero movies and then ended up in the dying gasps of the Fox X-men universe.

At least Williams got on Doctor Who. I have the feeling she can make a comeback. Turner? Eeehhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

drat it, forgot about Momoa. Arguably the biggest post GoT success.

Williams and Turner being in Dark Phoenix and New Mutants I’d put in the “toilet” category. I feel bad for them that they probably were thinking they’d be in great superhero movies and then ended up in the dying gasps of the Fox X-men universe.

At least Williams got on Doctor Who. I have the feeling she can make a comeback. Turner? Eeehhh.

Williams is positively menacing in that run she has on Doctor Who. Like there are times where she is legitimately scary, which is a difficult thing to do for an actress who looks like a very young grandmother.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Williams is positively menacing in that run she has on Doctor Who. Like there are times where she is legitimately scary, which is a difficult thing to do for an actress who looks like a very young grandmother.

Yeah, she was really great on Doctor Who. A bright spot in a season I otherwise wasn’t loving. She killed it, and made me want to see more of her.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

AceOfFlames posted:

Pascal and Dinklage really seem to be the only ones who managed to walk away from GoT with their careers improving because everyone else either went down the toilet (Coster-Waldau, Harrington, Turner, Williams, Clarke) or semi vanished (Bean, Headey, Dance). Or am I missing someone?

Charles Dance is doing just fine. He was most recently in The Crown and Mank.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

clown shoes posted:

His role in the Crown was utterly baffling: the guy is the spitting image of modern day Prince Philip yet they cast him as Lord Mountbatten in a handful of episodes across two seasons and announce modern day Prince Philip will be played by Jonathan Pryce, who looks nothing like him.

To say nothing of the episode where Dance had the most screen time being about him helping to mastermind a British equivalent of the Business Plot which he definitely didn’t do (in real life he told the plotters to gently caress off), which I am dead certain was the result of the show runners going “we have Charles loving Dance in our show, how can we NOT have him scheme?”

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Do you define their career being in the toliet by how many Marvel movies they are in? Most of those guys are just fine?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

More like how good the movies they are in are. Or in Pascal's case, if he can at least salvage being in a bad one with roles elsewhere.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Do you define their career being in the toliet by how many Marvel movies they are in? Most of those guys are just fine?
Really most actors people are aware of are doing fine in actor terms. For most actors, getting in a play, a cruise ship, or a TV ad can be a huge loving deal.
Sophie Turner may never like win an Oscar, but she has seven years of playing with an incredibly well-watch TV show which, despite the quality, offered some meaty acting opportunities. She is now a twenty-four year old millionaire married to one of the most popular musicians in the world.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

clown shoes posted:

Being Charles Dance, he will always do just fine. Stink don't stick to him.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I don’t even know if New Mutants would be worth doing a “worst of 2020” episode for.... it’s not even bad it’s just boring.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

dorium posted:

I don’t even know if New Mutants would be worth doing a “worst of 2020” episode for.... it’s not even bad it’s just boring.

That's exactly how I felt about the movie Scoob!. Technically one of the worst movies I watched from last year, but such a boring nothing movie that it's not even worth an episode.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't wait for the Unhinged episode lmao

Russell Crowe is in rare form in that movie :allears:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Finally saw Pottersville because it's on streaming. What a perplexing mess of a movie.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elderbean posted:

Finally saw Pottersville because it's on streaming. What a perplexing mess of a movie.

I thought it was a Netflix original?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

I thought it was a Netflix original?

I'm sure its been on streaming for years, just didn't see it come up until recently.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
LMAO a 3 hour episode on Wonder Woman 84.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

LMAO a 3 hour episode on Wonder Woman 84.
Was coming here to post this ahahahahaha

This is gonna rule :allears:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have not seen the movie, but it will be the 3rd review (RLM, Blank Check, this) of that movie I watch/listen to over a few day span. I will never have to see this movie.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

On an episode like this, it's always interesting to predict what kind of reaction you get immediately after the "we're talking about": disgust/fatigue or outright anger.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

watching wonder woman 84 right now in preparation...this... this is bad.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It’s both absolutely insane and incredibly boring.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

weekly font posted:

It’s both absolutely insane and incredibly boring.

One of those cases where I was like WHY IS EVERY MOVIE SO loving LONG NOW and spent 35-40 minutes in the middle doing crossword puzzles and not missing anything

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1342680937847533568?s=21

I got to this scene and shouted noooooooooo at my tv

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dorium posted:

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1342680937847533568?s=21

I got to this scene and shouted noooooooooo at my tv

And one of the craziest parts of this scene is how out of nowhere it is. They're like, "Max Lord apparently went to Cairo", and then they fly there, and then this happens, they have a quick action scene, and then they're back in DC. They didn't build up to going to the Middle East or anything, the movie was just like, "Let's head to the Middle East for some racism for a little bit, then get back to the movie." It was wild.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

As another podcast said, this movie found new insane ways to be terrible beyond just the typical superhero fare (and I say that as someone who likes Marvel movies and many of the DC ones). It was ground breaking in how bad it was and how all the decisions came together to result in this being the on-screen product.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Remember that old YouTube video that’s a song with a crude animation about George Washington that’s like “he’ll save children but not the British children.”

That’s all I could think as IDF soldier Gal Gadot swoops in to not blow up fictional middle eastern kids.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the middle east stuff is so just plain gross because, yea, it's not even relevant to the plot. It's not like the magic genie rock is actually involved with the middle east and wonder woman has to go there to find how to stop it and all, they just cut randomly to "AND THOSE loving ARABS, YA KNOW????" and it has nothing to do with anything.

Also ever since Chapo pointed it out I can't not notice that the Greek island of Themyscira is now full of women with heavy Israeli accents because Gal cannot be bothered to do that whole acting thing where you use literally any voice but your own and the studio clearly just went 'gently caress it, you guys match her now'.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Remember that old YouTube video that’s a song with a crude animation about George Washington that’s like “he’ll save children but not the British children.”

That’s all I could think as IDF soldier Gal Gadot swoops in to not blow up fictional middle eastern kids.

Two years of mandatory service 15 years ago as a fitness instructor seems like an odd thing to hold against her, when compared to the many other problems of the film.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Angry_Ed posted:

Two years of mandatory service 15 years ago as a fitness instructor seems like an odd thing to hold against her, when compared to the many other problems of the film.

she literally posts about how brave the IDF is and how we should all pray for them because those mean ol terrorists MAKE them attack civilians, as they're bombing hospitals.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

she literally posts about how brave the IDF is and how we should all pray for them because those mean ol terrorists MAKE them attack civilians, as they're bombing hospitals.

Yeah I'm not defending comments from 2014 and I'm entirely unsurprised someone who served in the IDF thinks like that (because Israel's genocidal madness is hosed), but I'm also not going to go out of my way to call her "IDF SOLDIER GAL GODOT" because that's stupid. Are we going around calling PSY "ROK soldier PSY"? Do we go around calling Rob Riggle "US Marine Rob Riggle?". Or how about "US Marine Adam Driver"? "US Soldier Clint Eastwood"? "US Airman Morgan Freeman"? Etc.

My point being Gal Godot's IDF service and rants about Hamas have nothing to do with the problems of the movie. Also I'm aware I'm making way more out of this than I should.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 4, 2021

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cael posted:

On an episode like this, it's always interesting to predict what kind of reaction you get immediately after the "we're talking about": disgust/fatigue or outright anger.

Based on AJB's twitter, she has Opinions on Wonder Woman and I'm looking forward to a series of enjoyable rants from her at least.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Based on AJB's twitter, she has Opinions on Wonder Woman and I'm looking forward to a series of enjoyable rants from her at least.

I read her article on it so yeah we're going to get some enjoyable rants for sure.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I'm not defending comments from 2014 and I'm entirely unsurprised someone who served in the IDF thinks like that (because Israel's genocidal madness is hosed), but I'm also not going to go out of my way to call her "IDF SOLDIER GAL GODOT" because that's stupid. Are we going around calling PSY "ROK soldier PSY"? Do we go around calling Rob Riggle "US Marine Rob Riggle?". Or how about "US Marine Adam Driver"? "US Soldier Clint Eastwood"? "US Airman Morgan Freeman"? Etc.

My point being Gal Godot's IDF service and rants about Hamas have nothing to do with the problems of the movie. Also I'm aware I'm making way more out of this than I should.

it's relevant because the movie she has a producing credit in and the lead role in involves some really hosed up, completely out of nowhere, middle easterner focused racism including a scene where the evil arab guy actually wants to build a big apartheid wall and she rides a rocket to save innocent kids from being attacked by the middle eastern military. If loving Adam Driver did a movie where he just weirdly paused the story to say 'actually the iraq war was good' then yes it'd be fair to go 'US Marine Adam Driver' in making fun of it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

it's relevant because the movie she has a producing credit in and the lead role in involves some really hosed up, completely out of nowhere, middle easterner focused racism including a scene where the evil arab guy actually wants to build a big apartheid wall and she rides a rocket to save innocent kids from being attacked by the middle eastern military. If loving Adam Driver did a movie where he just weirdly paused the story to say 'actually the iraq war was good' then yes it'd be fair to go 'US Marine Adam Driver' in making fun of it.

Are we pretending "producer" means "writer" again?

EDIT: also this posits that Maxwell Lord's character was not a wannabe oil magnate before Gal Godot insisted on a rewrite where they go to Egypt so she can save what appears to be two Arabian children from being run over by an APC.

Honestly this whole argument is getting dumb as gently caress considering that I found the whole "I want my ancestral land back and all the heathens out" bit problematic as well but I think it's problematic on its own without making things up.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 4, 2021

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
the fact that people actually have STRONG OPINIONS about WW84 shows just how few movies there were this year, and how hungry people are to just have STRONG OPINIONS about a movie. WW84 was weird but I find it really strange that people are going insane about just an overall bland movie. If this had been any other year with roughly 20 huge blockbusters releasing every few minutes, no one would give 2 shits about WW84 and they def would not write full articles about how it shows the destruction of Hollywood and mankind as a whole, and at most We Hate Movies would have maybe mentioned it in passing or something. People just REALLY want to hate this movie and they want to make sure EVEYONE knows it.

That said, i'm sure the episode will be funny.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That's kind of a strange take. Sure, the discourse might not be quite as loud and widespread, but you would absolutely be seeing a lot of the same criticisms. This is still a big super hero tent pole filled with weird and bad poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Angry_Ed posted:

Are we pretending "producer" means "writer" again?

EDIT: also this posits that Maxwell Lord's character was not a wannabe oil magnate before Gal Godot insisted on a rewrite where they go to Egypt so she can save what appears to be two Arabian children from being run over by an APC.

Honestly this whole argument is getting dumb as gently caress considering that I found the whole "I want my ancestral land back and all the heathens out" bit problematic as well but I think it's problematic on its own without making things up.

I genuinely don't know what you want frankly, I think it's gross that in a movie with someone who before she decided to be a lovely actor she was going around talking about praying for the safety of the dudes blowing up hospitals there's an extended like...D plot...that means nothing to the story where she actually fights the REAL bigots who kill kids, the random hollywood middle eastern country. I don't really care who wrote it but it genuinely pisses me off as a Jewish person that she's such a shameless propagandist for people like Netanyahu (who she campaigned for) while making movies where she saves little hijabi girls from the REAL bad guys. It's fine if you don't but I don't see the point in trying to kinda sorta dance around some very unpleasent implications in asking why her military past and support is brought up when loving Morgan Freeman's isn't, as if they're exactly the same people doing exactly the same movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

enigmahfc posted:

the fact that people actually have STRONG OPINIONS about WW84 shows just how few movies there were this year, and how hungry people are to just have STRONG OPINIONS about a movie. WW84 was weird but I find it really strange that people are going insane about just an overall bland movie. If this had been any other year with roughly 20 huge blockbusters releasing every few minutes, no one would give 2 shits about WW84 and they def would not write full articles about how it shows the destruction of Hollywood and mankind as a whole, and at most We Hate Movies would have maybe mentioned it in passing or something. People just REALLY want to hate this movie and they want to make sure EVEYONE knows it.

That said, i'm sure the episode will be funny.

I mean, sure, people wouldn't be talking about how it's the destruction of Hollywood, because there's the added context of how this movie is being seen as a canary in the coalmine on streaming movies. But of course the WHM guys would be talking about it. They do On Screen episodes for bad movies that are tent poles all the time. And this isn't just a "bland" movie, as you described it, it's a straight up bad movie, with racist and rape problems. And, to a less problematic extent, huge editing and script issues, to the point where the movie is a straight up mess.

This isn't some small indie movie. It's a DC tent pole action film. And that's not even getting into how much people care about the character of Wonder Woman. Of course they were going to do an episode on it if it was bad. And it's really bad.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 4, 2021

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I just feel like people had a lot of backed-up movie opinions that they just needed to get out, so the flood gates came down on a movie that so easily forgettable. But I'm sure WHM would have done an onscreen or worst of 2020 episode on it.

I also so not see any 'rape problems', but yeah, the movie is kinda a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

movie critics were blue ball'd all year and now they're finally wylin' out. I see it.