Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
Yeah, Khorne, thanks for the thorough explanations. You're a real Thread Badass, you enrich the experience of watching BW for me. Can't thank you for your time/wisdom enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jeeze, poor snow

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Gmaz posted:

Hope we'll get to see Flash's muta micro by the end of the tournament, I wonder how he'll fare when he's not on the receiving end of it.

I haven't watched it in quite some time but I'm the few games I've seen him play Z on his personal stream it's pretty good but less about the mechanical skill avoiding hits and maximizing damage and more about the game sense with taking really good engagements overall.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Larva vs Soulkey is up. It's not bad as far as zvz goes.

soulkey's interview before the match gives away how the match is going to go

One interesting side effect of ro8 is if zero beats best then flash will only have to prepare vs z. I think tastosis are sleeping on how game warping the 1/3 zvz will be for his opponents on some maps. Flash is the type of player who will choose a single all-in for zvz and do it every single time he randoms zerg.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 25, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

look at that, Larva has finally reached a final 4, he did it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is this still the tournament that started with the best of 1? I actually kinda liked the format. I don't think it would work for most other games but SC is well balanced enough and also not so luck heavy that I don't have any problem with the upsets.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this still the tournament that started with the best of 1? I actually kinda liked the format. I don't think it would work for most other games but SC is well balanced enough and also not so luck heavy that I don't have any problem with the upsets.

The round of 32 isn't really Bo1, it's a group system with Bo1 matches. Essentially, 2 game wins to get through.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh yeah I figured they switched it up as it went along I was just wondering if it was the same one.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Essentially, 2 game wins to get through.

That also sounds like a Bo3?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Milo and POTUS posted:

That also sounds like a Bo3?

Not all against the same person though. The winner of a group has to beat two people once.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Each group is like a tiny Bo1 double-elimination tournament except instead of a grand finals they just pass both players to the next round.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Quite a series today, especially games 3 and 4...

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Heavy_D posted:

Quite a series today, especially games 3 and 4...
G3 was crazy. Flash was completely outplayed and going to get crushed. It looked like the typical skill gap between flash and other players but in reverse. Anyone else would have lost that game probably. The spectator wasn't even following everything he did to make that work.

G2 was the kind of strategy I expected. With real unfortunate results that time, but imagine how that game would have gone if soma opened a bit more normal. It would have been crazy.

G1 was really typical: extremely tight macro, extremely tight timings, being in the right place at the right time, and putting the least actions possible into as many places as possible.

G4 is a good game also. I am confused about why he didn't go up the ramp and instead auto attacking the sunk with a few marines from the bottom. Looked like the worst of all worlds - mutas can just pot shot the frontline & you miss the sunk so much with those marines. Was his attention just elsewhere and that wasn't the sunk position he expected so it looked weird to spectators but wasn't an active choice from the player?

G5 so much went wrong :( everyone has had plenty of those games but not as the best player in the world in the ro4 @ asl

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 2, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I have to say that I felt like this was a little more lopsided than I would have thought, like despite the fact that Flash won 2 games he got absolutely trounced in a couple of those matches

However, this is only the first tournament so I'm sure that Flash will be Flash and just absolutely school everyone in the next tournament he does.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I don't get why tasteless & artosis favor queen. Yes, when he was at his peak he was a better player than Larva was at the time. Right now in 2020 I'm not convinced. Larva's ZvZ has been very good & consistent lately. He likes to get slightly ahead and then play defense until just overpowering the other zerg.

Second Ro4 match is up between those two. Can't wait to watch.

edit: G1 reaction: see it's exactly like I thought. Rest of the games: ouch.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 2, 2020

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Khorne posted:

I don't get why tasteless & artosis favor queen. Yes, when he was at his peak he was a better player than Larva was at the time. Right now in 2020 I'm not convinced. Larva's ZvZ has been very good & consistent lately. He likes to get slightly ahead and then play defense until just overpowering the other zerg.

Second Ro4 match is up between those two. Can't wait to watch.

edit: G1 reaction: see it's exactly like I thought. Rest of the games: ouch.

Zero is extremely good in Bo7. He's historically been at his best when he has a lot of time to prepare for 1 opponent. Zero's always been a player who is extremely creative and has an immense peak but when he hasn't planned a game out, he becomes super predictable and is easy to out-think. That's why he often gets bopped in group stages when he's the superior player - he just isn't stellar when he hasn't mapped out an entire series.

Larva is a great player but also seems to suffer in long series play - he can plan around a short series extremely well but the longer something drags out the more unprepared he seems. I'd always favor Zero over him in a Bo7 but probably favor Larva in group play.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Flash vs Larva 3rd place match is up.

G2 is very fun.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 7, 2020

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Fun match, I feel for the loser.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

dang that was a fun set despite Larva getting absolutely rocked by Flash

can't wait for Flash playing more random

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

finals good aside from the tech issues, especially game 7

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
incredibly good finals, especially for ZvZ

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
hell yeah, this was great

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wow that was a nail biter of a series, awesome way to end a very good season

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I really hope Flash keeps playing as random. Those were some of the most interesting games I've seen in a long time.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Spoggerific posted:

I really hope Flash keeps playing as random. Those were some of the most interesting games I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, even little things like sending the scout on a longer path so that it doesn't get spotted mid-map is really cool.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Double-posting here, but it's been 50 days so I think fair's fair.

Tomorrow sees the draft for Season 2 of the ASTL - the team league format from around this time last year. Actual matches don't start until the 17th though. Just gotta hope that we get Tastosis casting it.

In the meantime, although it's not got English commentary, here's a pretty nice 9 game show match between Light and Best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EULsJ-y9d0

Best's play in this series was really fun to watch - tons of shuttle, absolute saturation of the field with storm. He did several proxy robo games, then in one game it looked to me like he caught Light out by faking the proxy robo and expanding instead.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
SaiyanSC did an english commentary of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnW26hR0KE

Needs to get a better mic though.

OxygenO2
Jan 4, 2021
Does anyone else remember playing on the 'gamei' ladder server in the late 90's and having to navigate the website (in Korean)? Rocking that 56k modem that would get disconnected every time someone in the house wanted to use the phone? I was a big fan of 1's on LT and played P. However, I am way too old and slow to even attempt to keep up with a kid that can sustain 140 apm today. Nope. Team liquid is still dope af though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So I bought the remastered + cartoon but after a massive download for a game of this age, I have no clue where the gently caress the cartooned version is? This is the first I've ever tooled around with the blizzard launcher ever so I might just be overlooking it

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Pretty sure you switch between the versions via the options menu in the game.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I don't have cartooned, but F5 cycles the graphics between HD and SD when in game. It may cycle tooned as well.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Team rosters:

Snow [P], Best [P], JyJ, [T] Shuttle [P]

Larva [Z], Bisu [P], sSak [T], Killer [Z]

Light [T], Mini [P], HerO [Z], PianO [T]

Flash [???], Soulkey [Z], Action [Z], free [P]

Soma [Z], Sorry [T], Effort [Z], Sharp [T]

Queen [Z], Stork [P], Rush [T], MisO [Z]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Heavy_D posted:

Team rosters:

Snow [P], Best [P], JyJ, [T] Shuttle [P]

Larva [Z], Bisu [P], sSak [T], Killer [Z]

Light [T], Mini [P], HerO [Z], PianO [T]

Flash [???], Soulkey [Z], Action [Z], free [P]

Soma [Z], Sorry [T], Effort [Z], Sharp [T]

Queen [Z], Stork [P], Rush [T], MisO [Z]

Is that ASL? I haven't been keeping up lately, what tournament is this? And where can I watch?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

This is the second AfreecaTV Starcraft Team League. There are some details on Liquipedia
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/2021_AfreecaTV_StarCraft_Team_League_Season_2

Still not actually sure if we're getting an English commentary, but assuming we do then it should be on the youtube channel from 17th Jan
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5eBtuoj_HkdXKHNmBLAXg/videos

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
Artosis has started casting BW on a new youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf0ynO5nqkPq_7Xn-973d2w

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aItRqkeRlmw

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Nice stuff, and he seems to be putting out a new vid each day. The only other guy who seems to put out that many Brood War casts is a guy called Falcon Paladin, and he seems to get sent a steady supply of fun replays.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's not ASL but it's about as entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSnHyt-S8U

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Wow, never seen that map before, pretty hilarious. Looks like the second round is up now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49DHB9iucHo

Sadly Artosis has confirmed he won't be casting the ASTL in English this time round. If you can put up with a cast in the original Korean, the first set of the first match (Snow vs Bisu) has a pretty unusual play that's worth seeing...
http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/67284891/228400
I like to think that this was a smart reaction on Snow's part to Bisu's failed DT rush. He knew that Bisu was on the back foot, and that the likely follow-up was to go heavy on the Psi-Storm; the blockade is more effective in that case because it's essentially storm-proof.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Yeah, don't sleep on this one - even you can't understand a word.
I initially assumed double Robo into double Reaver drops was the big unusual play, but then...

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
SaiyanSC has been casting some ASTL games: https://www.youtube.com/c/SaiyanSC/videos

If you like FFA, check out Greth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq9i9EZkbjE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is this the only BW thread? I have a question about remastered. I'll siege my tanks and they'll just suddenly revert to tank mode after sieging without any input at all.