Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

BizarroAzrael posted:

Made sourdough for the first time in my new place, without since of what I'm used to using.

Nice crust but tasted a tad burned on top, but the bottom didn't cook right. I put it on a cold tray with a silicon liner which seems to have insolated it a bit, it developed a sort of extra ear around the base where the crust rise and seperated from the bottom.

I would definitively pre-heat the backing tray and leave out the silicon liner. I'm using a baking steel and pre-heat it for 45 minutes.

I made my third bread this week :lol:

(Sorry the pictures aren't great)

I tried a different recipe this time:
35% rye wholegrain
15% rye sourdough
50% wheat

It's incredibly fluffy even though there's quite a bit wholegrain flour in it.
The taste is great but I have to say I like the rough taste of my usual 90% rye bread more.

Still it's good to have variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have made a lot of bagels in the last couple of months and I am very happy with them. They are up there with the best bagels I had while living in New York. My only problem is that they have a shelf life of like 90 minutes. Other bagels I have had seem to hold on a little longer before getting stale- is there something I’m missing? I’m using the recipe from bread bakers apprentice with 0 changes.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Had a nice little win today

Made a fancy dinner because on an anniversary

My partner asked if we could have pizza so I was just about to write down pizza bases on the shopping list and head out, but I just mixed up a scoop of my mother and a bit of water and mixed up a nice little dough.

Edit: tried my hand at something resembling brioche today

Mostly just chucking in some butter , milk and egg into my normal recipe

I'm finding these little buns are exactly perfect for how we use bread in the household. Nice crumb though

I can taste the brioche-ness and it's nice, but I think flour ,water salt is pretty good for what it does in the morning , basically carb dump

Jestery fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 17, 2020

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Made some croissants this morning. The lower tray burned the poo poo out of the bottoms, and the upper tray didn't finish baking inside. My oven loving blows

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I would eat every single one of those

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think any oven can cook a lower tray and an upper tray equally at the same time. Maybe a convection oven, but I'm not sure even then. If you can't do them sequentially on the middle rack, swap (and rotate) them halfway. That's not just true for finicky things like croissants, but even for basic cookies.

It's a shame, though, they look gorgeous otherwise!

argeto
Apr 30, 2004
Spammer
Decided to sort of YOLO together a couple loaves of French bread:

A little melted butter and finishing salt does a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to color.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

Made some croissants this morning. The lower tray burned the poo poo out of the bottoms, and the upper tray didn't finish baking inside. My oven loving blows

My wife likes croissants so I'm tempted to try and make some since I've got the week off. Where did you get the recipe from? I was just going to go with the one from king arthur since they usually do ok for me, but I'm open to other suggestions.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Croissants were backbreaking labor for me last Thanksgiving but the payoff was incredible. I recommend making a batch at least once!

The King Arthur recipe is fine. I wound up using the 3 Day Classic Croissant from the Weekend Bakery since they had so many photos and helpful videos too.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
See if you can find the recipe for croissants from the bread bakers apprentice online. I don’t know how much it differs from the other ones but everything in that book is basically the definitive version of the basics to master. Can’t recommend it as a resource enough

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Eeyo posted:

My wife likes croissants so I'm tempted to try and make some since I've got the week off. Where did you get the recipe from? I was just going to go with the one from king arthur since they usually do ok for me, but I'm open to other suggestions.

These were the Chef John of Good wishes/allrecipes.com

https://youtu.be/9soLlXPL4zM

I gave the full slab of butter a try. Usually I do the rough puff method from Michael Ruhlman's ratio.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

New year, new bread. Did a no knead recipe with 30% khorosan flour

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
First loaf in my new kitchen was a disaster after too much salt and overproofing.

Made a rosemary sourdough this morning that was as good as anything I've made. 2021 A-OK.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I have a bread question:

I've made a bread with bread mix and it didn't turn out very well. It's a very coarse, dark whole-grain bread mix and it didn't really rise much, the bread became very dense and heavy.

I had put the bread mix in the freezer because I'm concerned about moths. It spent about a week in there. Could this have killed the yeast?

Half of the bread mix is still left. Do you think I could just add a pack of yeast to have it rise better? Or would that be too much yeast? Could I alternatively put in some baking powder?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If the mix included yeast then yes, being frozen would impair it. Id just add a teaspoonful, or whatever it says on the back of the pack, to each batch as you make it, before adding any water.
e: you can make bread with baking soda, but it requires different methods. Yeast wants long proves, which would waste the immediate and short lived lift from soda.. Look up recipes for Irish Soda Bread.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 1, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I thought only heat could impair yeast? Everything I've read says the fridge or freezer is fine.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I store all of my yeast in the freezer. I wasn't going to naysay.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just had something weird happen that I’d love opinions on.

Made my usual sourdough dough. Split it in three, intending to make pizza with the last third. That was three days ago.

It’s been sitting in the fridge ever since, in an airtight container.

When I went to use it just now, it had lost all elasticity, and I ended up discarding it. It was almost like a porridge. Smelled fine, like yoghurt.

Edit: the other two batches were baked after one and two nights in the fridge, and were fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

too much fermentation/acid.

You see the same thing with your starter. It'll suddenly reach a point where it's no longer elastic or floaty etc.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any thoughts on what I could insert into my 13" pullman pan to cut it down to 9"?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Try folding some cardboard into a cube and wrap it in foil.
You need to make it super strong bread dough is no joke.
I had to bake a test loaf in a non Pullman pan and tried putting a sheet pan on top and weighed it down with 4 or 5 cast iron skillets and it still managed to push the sheet pan up while baking.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Casu Marzu posted:

Any thoughts on what I could insert into my 13" pullman pan to cut it down to 9"?

Got any bricks?

Bread will find a way around anything not REALLY stuck in there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol kinda figured, I'll just buy a smaller pullman sometime

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

This found its way into my recommended feed. How insane is this person and his ideas? Very insane? Less insane than myself? Learn me some things about what he's going on about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqxGOCaX4Y

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm tired of garbage bread. How do I make proper bread like I had in Germany as opposed to the garbage I have in America? I've tried making brötchen but they always come out sad. Is there a different flour I should use?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

What qualities are you looking for in bread? It's a wide category and it really depends on what you're trying to make. Is this just a step away from what I understand are hfcs loaves?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

This found its way into my recommended feed. How insane is this person and his ideas? Very insane? Less insane than myself? Learn me some things about what he's going on about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqxGOCaX4Y

I'm not watching 15 minutes of clickbate. Can you summarize?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bagels

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Is that... a purpose built bagel slicer?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

VinylonUnderground posted:

I'm tired of garbage bread. How do I make proper bread like I had in Germany as opposed to the garbage I have in America? I've tried making brötchen but they always come out sad. Is there a different flour I should use?

Do you speak German? I have made great Brötchen in the past with a recipe from youtube which always worked out great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VlLeXfecHQ

Regarding flour type, I think flour categorization works different here than in the US: usually no distinction in Protein content, just in Minerals (ash?). But I bet there are some tables out there where you can find a corresponding US flour to e.g. a German wheat type 1050 (which I usually use for Brötchen).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

considering the way that bagel was cut, only if they're in St Louis

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm not watching 15 minutes of clickbate. Can you summarize?

Guy makes bread with starter he hasn't fed in 5 months. It seems to turn out ok. But it also seems to defy all the common sense I've heard up till this point. Thanks for assuming I'm just posting clickbait for the sake of posting clickbait.

IS there a reason not to do what he did? AM I wasting tons of flour feeding my starter every few days as he says? Is he insane, or am I insane? Or both? I asked the questions and posted the video for a reason here.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Happiness Commando posted:

My stepdad made a few of them. They were intended for bagels but they work great for tomatoes too.

Not from St. Louis. I normally cut them the correct way.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Guy makes bread with starter he hasn't fed in 5 months. It seems to turn out ok. But it also seems to defy all the common sense I've heard up till this point. Thanks for assuming I'm just posting clickbait for the sake of posting clickbait.

IS there a reason not to do what he did? AM I wasting tons of flour feeding my starter every few days as he says? Is he insane, or am I insane? Or both? I asked the questions and posted the video for a reason here.

Behind the scenes his start was only fed from the fridge after long periods. If you bake weekly you can definitely 100% get away with feeding it once a week and using the discard for the weekly bread. 5 months is definitely doable if you use a high percentage of starter and know what you're looking for, although the flavor is going to be anything but predictable/consistent. Trying to do this every say 3 or 4 days is harder as IME the starter needs to be in and out of the fridge which is harder to time then a week + and just giving it an eyefuck and smell. Larger quantities in the fridge will give you a larger cushon.

Sorry, didn't mean to be snappy. The guy is doing what youtube demands to be successful there, which is terrible for actual good informative videos.

I still feed my starter daily but I also feed with a 1:10 ratio.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I regularly store my starter in the fridge for extended periods of time and it's fine but I always feed it for a day or 2 before using it to get it back to full strength. If your starter is new-ish it may not have enough of the good stuff in it to combat the bad stuff(mold) to do this. My starter is over 10 years old at this point so I don't fuss over it much.

That being said if you're just using the starter for flavor and using yeast for the actual rising power instead of using the starter only you might be OK. It really depends on what kind of bread you're trying to make.

The main reason to feed the starter after it's been dormant so long is to wake the yeast back up so they burp and fart and make your dough go up.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Been making sourdough as our weekly bread for a few years now and it's become almost mechanical in production so decided to mix it up a bit this week. Made the Perfect Loaf's seeded sourdough, adjusted for our ambient temperature and it turned out real nice.

I'd really recommend the Perfect Loaf recipes, they work well.

On the topic of starters, I keep mine in the fridge take it out to make the levain and then feed it, popping it back in the fridge after it's woken up.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 4, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Thumposaurus posted:

I regularly store my starter in the fridge for extended periods of time and it's fine but I always feed it for a day or 2 before using it to get it back to full strength. If your starter is new-ish it may not have enough of the good stuff in it to combat the bad stuff(mold) to do this. My starter is over 10 years old at this point so I don't fuss over it much.

That being said if you're just using the starter for flavor and using yeast for the actual rising power instead of using the starter only you might be OK. It really depends on what kind of bread you're trying to make.

The main reason to feed the starter after it's been dormant so long is to wake the yeast back up so they burp and fart and make your dough go up.

My starter got taken over by mold while we were moving and I was able to scrape off the nasty brain-looking poo poo and get enough healthy starter to keep going. I'm a new baker (~9 months I think now?) but I have been consistently impressed with how resilient sourdough starter is.

Surprisingly easy to amend too. I've made rosemary and cheddar jalapeno loaves with it with little thought.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you ever feel like you need to have some apocalypse proof starter on hand you can take some of your starter and spread it thin on some parchment paper and let it dry.

Once it's dry you can crush it up and store it for after the nukes drop. Or mail it to friends or whatever.

To reconstitute it you just add it in with some flour and water the established yeasts in the dried starter will kick in.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I store my starter in the back of the fridge and when I remember every week or two I dump 90% of it, feed it, then throw it right back in unless I’m making some dough. I think I’ve gone as long as a month without feeding it in the fridge. It doesn’t look great, there is some dark liquid on top but once you drain it and scoop off the top layer it looks fine underneath.

I’ve been making some Japanese milk bread using KAF recipe (https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-recipe). It’s pretty simple and a nice change of pace from the 2-3 days it takes to prep and make a no knead sourdough loaf. So soft and tender. I’m interested in using the tangzhong method in other non-milk bread recipes, anyone have any experience with it? Here are a few pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

It's not that it doesn't slice, it's that thin slices are difficult.

I may just sharpen my chef's knife and have a go with that next time. (My knives need sharpening...)

This is old but depending on what type of bread youre making, not putting pressure on the loaf itself helps. I read somewhere you arent supposed to put pressure on the knife either, hold the knife at the hilt with your fingers and saw from your shoulder and the knife will cut through on its own--although I still sometimes get wobbly cuts that way, thicker at one side or end than the other, that type of stuff.

With Tartine style crusty loaves, I still cant get even cuts when its fresh but Ive found if its a little stale you can easily if you do the above.

Ive also, a long time ago, read about something that's basically a little box that you put a bread loaf in, and on the long side, it has notches cut all the way down every 1/2 inch or so and it's basically meant to be a guide to get even slices. You can buy them too but it seems like a simple woodworking project if you already have the tools for it.

Here, I looked it up, I havent tried it but searching google for like "bread slicing guide" or bread slicing guide diy" has a bunch of different sites for how to build one yourself, this is just one link.
http://www.runnerduck.com/bread_slicer.htm

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 4, 2021