Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

My 'favorite' version of this is Javert's suicide because you never really get a shot that conveys what he's thinking about doing so it's just bad close shots then suddenly he's off into the river like a joke smash cut. Just pull your camera out you loving weirdo.

No i'm glad they kept it because lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZdfna1LKA&t=159s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Hattie Masters posted:

Fun fact: Dyspraxia also effects people's behavioural patterns, similarly to other forms of neurodiversity. It's why it's diagnosed via clinical psychology, and can occasionally be detected via speech patterns and sentence structure.

Source: I'm dyspraxic as gently caress, both of those things featured heavily in my original diagnosis, and I was once accurately pegged as a dyspraxic just by someone reading an essay I wrote!

EDIT: one of the examples of this is being irritated by certain things beyond a rational reason, so I used it bc I was not sure if it was a legitimate gripe or just my dyspraxic brain deciding something didn't Feel right

Makes sense, I'll just take the L on this one. Sorry for being an rear end in a top hat.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That loving sound effect

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

BrianWilly posted:

I mean........to be the fair the song is literally called Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. :sweatdrop:

I can understand the unintentional comedy that might arise from someone singing plaintively about how empty a room is when the room is not, in fact, empty.

I get that, but just the way the shot is framed, at the time it made me think were gonna fade to his memories or something about his friends. And then I was confused when we didn't.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly my biggest issue with the Les Misérables movie is why the gently caress did they put Russell Crowe in it. like sure he looks like a cop physically and poo poo but holy gently caress he can't sing. like at all. i like the musical enough that the movie isnt THAT bad for me. just kinda dumb.

They should've cast Russ le Roq as Valjean. Apparently he has interest in acting.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qO4NumRgxY
Fantasy Zone deserves more views because this is some good stuff. A look at how yellow magic orchestra influenced games and their music

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-XHENUyg18&t

the first episode of meatcanyons original series Monster Lab came out.

wasnt that bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

would it shock you to know his mother is a writer/professor and his father has spent his entire adult life in the english government's various media projects? And Hooper literally only did The King's Speech because his mother found it as an unproduced play and suggested it to him?

Wow. That's like founding out the reason we were inflicted with Pauly Shore was his mother ran the Comedy Store in LA and was thus insanely connected in the entertainment industry because everybody did a set there at one point or another.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Welcome to the UK!

*Proudly sings Rule Britannia and then takes a good strong huff of her own farts*

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Someone really needs to edit a Wilhelm Scream on to that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That sound effect actually happened I'm not losing my mind, right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Was someone complaining about long video run-times? How about a quick Morrowind retrospective.

Yes all he did was combine his unsuccesful 8-part video series into one video and his total views increased from a few thousand to a quarter million.

EDIT: Holy poo poo does Action Button have a lot of devoted patreons. How have I never heard about them before?

EDIT2: Ah, the kotaku rabbit-hole.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 4, 2021

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

After getting bogged down by school for a bit, I finally managed to get a new video out, this time discussing the Japanese synthpop group Yellow Magic Orchestra and their massive influence on video game music. Pretty proud of how this one came out, especially since, as far as I know, this isn't a very well-documented part of game history.

Not gonna make a habit of plugging my stuff here, just this once since it's a new thread and all. Hope everyone enjoys.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I miss the comical “BOINK” sound effect Doug Walker put over that landing. God, his Les Miz review was actually funny in the places it needed to be.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

YggiDee posted:

Sideways previously did a whole video about Les Miserables, if you want another essay about the ways Tom Hooper is Bad at Music, and specifically why his whole 'singing filmed live' idea is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikqU6G6Xgs

edit: Film Critic Hulk wrote a fascinating article about Tom Hooper's cinematography back in 2013 but it's in ALL CAPS and I refuse to link it on principle.

I don't know much about music but when I heard Jackman announce with glee that he wasn't drinking water, I cringed so hard

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://watchnebula.com/videos/lindsay-ellis-tom-hoopers-les-miserables

Lindsey Ellis also did a video on Les Mis, but you have to sign up for Nebula to watch it.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo does Action Button have a lot of devoted patreons. How have I never heard about them before?

EDIT2: Ah, the kotaku rabbit-hole.

He was a thing long before Kotaku but that's where he became popular for his video work. He was one of the first wave of "critical theory" game journos like 10+ years ago and was ridiculed by a lot of people for his articles at the time iirc. He also worked at Grasshopper on No More Heroes and made a few critically acclaimed games under the Action Button heading.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Iambic Pentameter posted:

After getting bogged down by school for a bit, I finally managed to get a new video out, this time discussing the Japanese synthpop group Yellow Magic Orchestra and their massive influence on video game music. Pretty proud of how this one came out, especially since, as far as I know, this isn't a very well-documented part of game history.

Not gonna make a habit of plugging my stuff here, just this once since it's a new thread and all. Hope everyone enjoys.

What's funny is somebody else plugged that very video like seven posts up. :)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-XSTSnqXxo&hd=1

Patricia Taxxon put out what is basically a thesis video essay on pop chord loop structure and the Four Chords of Pop. It's kinda dense but it includes two bangers!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's been a while since I've seen it but I'm pretty sure Hooper's work on JOHN ADAMS has more inexplicable Dutch angles in it than BATTLEFIELD EARTH did.

I can't think of a worse modern Director. Say what you want about your usual suspects but even whoever made MOVIE 42 understood the basic principles of where to place the loving camera.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Welcome to the UK!

*Proudly sings Rule Britannia and then takes a good strong huff of her own farts*

have you thought about leaving this awful country

i do

daily

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DrVenkman posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it but I'm pretty sure Hooper's work on JOHN ADAMS has more inexplicable Dutch angles in it than BATTLEFIELD EARTH did.

I can't think of a worse modern Director. Say what you want about your usual suspects but even whoever made MOVIE 42 understood the basic principles of where to place the loving camera.

It's really a shame too because Giamatti gives the goddamn performance of his life in Adams, which can sometimes be hard to notice between inexplicable cinematography and weird plot divergences like "Uh poo poo we have no idea what to do with Abigail - even though we could be doing tons with her since in real life she was partner to her husband in pretty much everything he did politically - so let's have a subplot where she inoculates all her kids and it seems like they're going to die but then they just... don't."

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Queer Salutations posted:

He was a thing long before Kotaku but that's where he became popular for his video work. He was one of the first wave of "critical theory" game journos like 10+ years ago and was ridiculed by a lot of people for his articles at the time iirc. He also worked at Grasshopper on No More Heroes and made a few critically acclaimed games under the Action Button heading.

I continue to like the things that Tim Rogers makes but I wish he was less bad at getting his points across.

In the Tokimeki video he quotes the NYT article that says "no women worked on this game". To show this is wrong, he spends a little while drawing a kanji in the air (子), flashes the kanji on the screen, says that this kanji is frequently in women's names but not always, then shows a snippet of the credits where you can see a few instances of that kanji. Then he says "well, you know, most people who worked on the game weren't women, and the male lead dev Akihiko's name is 明彦 and not 明ひ子" (which is more or less a meaningless statement whether you know Japanese or not, since one of those is not a name at all). Then he puts a note to check the epilogue - in the epilogue, there is actually an interesting interpersonal story about one of the women who was involved in the game.

none of the info is wrong but like, bro. That's so much time spent on irrelevant information, then the only actually interesting part of the story is left out.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

I continue to like the things that Tim Rogers makes but I wish he was less bad at getting his points across.

In the Tokimeki video he quotes the NYT article that says "no women worked on this game". To show this is wrong, he spends a little while drawing a kanji in the air (子), flashes the kanji on the screen, says that this kanji is frequently in women's names but not always, then shows a snippet of the credits where you can see a few instances of that kanji. Then he says "well, you know, most people who worked on the game weren't women, and the male lead dev Akihiko's name is 明彦 and not 明ひ子" (which is more or less a meaningless statement whether you know Japanese or not, since one of those is not a name at all). Then he puts a note to check the epilogue - in the epilogue, there is actually an interesting interpersonal story about one of the women who was involved in the game.

none of the info is wrong but like, bro. That's so much time spent on irrelevant information, then the only actually interesting part of the story is left out.

Yeah he tends to skip the editing part of his scripts, I generally like his stuff but brevity is not his strong suit. I still love his series on the FF7 translation for Kotaku that's part explanation of how games are translated, part examination of the differences between English and Japanese, and part somber meditation on his own youth and his time spent living in Japan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know one thing I am getting a little tired of in video essays is the repetition of scenes from the topic in question to emphasize a point or for humor. I see it a lot in Lindsay Ellis videos or RLM's Half in the Bag videos where a scene will be repeated several times. Like in the hobbit video where Lindsay plays the "why does it hurt so much? BECAUSE IT WAS REAL." like five times to emphasize some of the baffling producer mandates. I get why people do it but I find it a bit exhausting and routine after a while.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7_hQgstdbY

in which Ian finds out Joan Rivers was super racist

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

quote:

in which Ian finds out Joan Rivers was super racist

... and a total fiend for mpreg. Really ahead of her time, she'd right in on the chan boards.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Queer Salutations posted:

... and a total fiend for mpreg. Really ahead of her time, she'd right in on the chan boards.

Rivers will always be one of my ~problematic faves~ just for the fact that even if she was a huge weird old racist she also was just a certified freak in general.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

How do you watch the oldest SF Debris Voyager episodes, they error out on his site.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedd posted:

How do you watch the oldest SF Debris Voyager episodes, they error out on his site.

He's still moving everything over from the old server. He's got a fuckload of videos and his hosting sites keep shutting down. Give it time, he only just got the Star Trek film reviews put back up.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bakeneko posted:

Well there was no way I was going to spend six hours watching the whole thing, but I skipped around trying to see if I could figure out the overall tone of it, and the main impression I got was about how offputting this guy’s delivery was.

I’m not even sure I can properly describe it. It’s like a comedian doing an impression of someone who’s just drank twelve cups of coffee in a row. He’s speaking weirdly fast and sometimes putting on a stammering, jittery affect, but it’s just so obviously fake that I can’t even tell if I’m supposed to take it seriously.

This is why I can't stand Rogers. His inability to talk like a normal person makes turns me off anything that he's in. I tried watching his Dragon Quest Builders 2, and after a minute-and-a-half, I go, "I can't stand this" and close the browser window. Like, I see a video about Doom or Tokimeki Memorial, and gets my interests up, but then I see his name attached, and my interest dissipates.

I found out he worked on the translation for Moon RPG Remix and as dumb and irrational as it sounds, it's dissuaded me from starting the game. I'm still going to get to it eventually, and I highly doubt there's any dumb modern memes or anything that got added to it, but for whatever reason, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Hattie Masters posted:

I'm actually going to complain about this.

If it's six one hour videos, upload it as such. I'm not talking about because of monetisation, or that kinda thing, but because it effects how people are going to want to watch it.

There's no way in hell I'm clicking on a six hour video, even if I'm not meant to watch it in one sitting, especially since the only way I'm getting the information that it isn't designed to be watched that way is from the creator's twitter.

Make it six hour-long videos, put them in a playlist, bam you're done. Maybe this is just me being dyspraxic as gently caress but presenting it as a single video, to me, says "This is one continuative narrative that should be watched in full." Like a book that has chapters has clear delineation, if this is treated by the creator as multiple videoes it should be conveyed to the viewer as the same.

You make a very good point: if you're working a project, and you've got six hours worth of content to publish, why not split it up into parts? Apart from making it more organized and digestible, I have to imagine that rendering six hour long videos takes less time than rendering one massive six-hour long video (especially if the power goes out or something, and the render gets interrupted).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's still moving everything over from the old server. He's got a fuckload of videos and his hosting sites keep shutting down. Give it time, he only just got the Star Trek film reviews put back up.

Good to know, I can live with that. :3:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Max Wilco posted:

I found out he worked on the translation for Moon RPG Remix and as dumb and irrational as it sounds, it's dissuaded me from starting the game. I'm still going to get to it eventually, and I highly doubt there's any dumb modern memes or anything that got added to it, but for whatever reason, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

The English in the translation is weird enough that one of these days I wanna play through the original and compare the two. I really doubt Rogers did a bad translation job, though. A job is a job and he certainly knows Japanese well enough.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve enjoyed every Tim Rogers video I’ve watched. I honestly really like the length of them and how in depth or intricate each video can get. It’s not for everyone, but I also don’t seem him wanting or needing to change his style to suit other people’s desires.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Casey Finnigan posted:

The English in the translation is weird enough that one of these days I wanna play through the original and compare the two. I really doubt Rogers did a bad translation job, though. A job is a job and he certainly knows Japanese well enough.

I'm sure he did a fine job. Like I said, I admit my apprehension about the game is irrational. I'm just glad the game the game got a localization in the first place.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’ve enjoyed every Tim Rogers video I’ve watched. I honestly really like the length of them and how in depth or intricate each video can get. It’s not for everyone, but I also don’t seem him wanting or needing to change his style to suit other people’s desires.

I don't expect him to change his style, and I'm sure his videos cover a lot of interesting tidbits, but the way he presents stuff grates on me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Starting the 2nd hour of the tokimeki memorial video now. Video still good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
giant bomb did a "worst song of the 90s" list, and it's good fun. need premium to see it but if you can watch it, it's great

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/the-worst-song-of-the-90s/2300-16478/

[in regards to Breakfast At Tiffany's] "this is music for people who own the Friends DVD boxed set. The whole series. This song sucks GALLONS of rear end."

the visceral, visual reaction to some things like Higher or Butterfly Kisses are great.

they also did Worst Songs of the 80s last year and it's a pro watch as well. The winner absolutely deserved it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

giant bomb did a "worst song of the 90s" list, and it's good fun. need premium to see it but if you can watch it, it's great

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/the-worst-song-of-the-90s/2300-16478/

[in regards to Breakfast At Tiffany's] "this is music for people who own the Friends DVD boxed set. The whole series. This song sucks GALLONS of rear end."

the visceral, visual reaction to some things like Higher or Butterfly Kisses are great.

they also did Worst Songs of the 80s last year and it's a pro watch as well. The winner absolutely deserved it.
"You need premium to view this"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sarcopenia posted:

"You need premium to view this"

The post is only four sentences, how did you miss one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Bad Wolf posted:

What's funny is somebody else plugged that very video like seven posts up. :)

Note to self: stop posting at 4 o'clock in the morning

Captain Invictus posted:

"this is music for people who own the Friends DVD boxed set. The whole series."

Scathing