Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah they had to use Bethesda's engine rather than Unreal Engine like they did the first game which is why it ran bad (also the CPU-sucking DRM would have made performance worse too) but holy poo poo was that some of the best level design ever. Weird as heck if you're used to 60+ fps and teleporting all over the place pulling off fancy tricks, though.

Yeah! I was used to it being more of an action stealth game where I was teleporting behind people and killing them and turning into someone else when I'm caught and it was super fun, I wasn't playing it as a methodical plan out routes game at all

I didn't know about the DRM, makes sense now seeing as how the game came out in 2016 and I had a 2016 GPU when I played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BoosterDuck posted:

I don't care about what bethesda makes anymore I just want to enjoy seeing todd relegated in the corporate heirarchy and bossed around by phil and nadella for what he did to fallout
You say that but in reality what it's probably done is just extended the ladder that he can climb.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah! I was used to it being more of an action stealth game where I was teleporting behind people and killing them and turning into someone else when I'm caught and it was super fun, I wasn't playing it as a methodical plan out routes game at all

I didn't know about the DRM, makes sense now seeing as how the game came out in 2016 and I had a 2016 GPU when I played it

I think the DRM used 10-20% of CPU power so really affected framerates pretty badly, and that's on-top of an engine that wasn't fully finished yet and Arkane was having to learn from scratch how to use, it's a real shame. We've seen what it can do (Doom Eternal) but back when it had just been put together poor Arkane were taking the first shot at developing on it iirc.

The Forza Horizon games are the smoothest 30fps games I've ever played and I'm sure they have some kind of post-processing trick to give the illusion of a higher framerate. Could just be motion blur or something but they feel like they're running at a much higher framerate than they really are, would love to know how they pull it off, especially since it's open world and can get stupidly fast. Will be interesting to see how Fable turns out since I assume it will also be made using the same modified Forza engine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think stories of DRM affecting performance are largely apocryphal. Digital Foundry ran a whole series of tests on a DMCV crack among other games and found that Denuvo only minorly impacted framerates at implausibly CPU-bound scenarios with triple-digit FPS. It still sucks for reasons other than gaming performance, but Dishonored 2's PC release had many other issues before that came into the picture.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yeah lol pirates are loving lying to pressure companies

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's because PC gaming is such a loving nightmare that people will blame whatever they can think of on bad performance

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's because PC gaming is such a loving nightmare that people will blame whatever they can think of on bad performance

I would say its this + devs knowing they can patch some performance issues and blame it onthe denuvo and gamers will believe them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

denuvo can def have an impact on stuff thats hitting the cpu hard. dmcv is really not cpu bound at all which is why you have to push it into absurdity to see anything but iirc dishonored 2 is a lot heavier on the cpu.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think it was Dishonored 2, I'm not 100%, but I remember reading about the DRM & non-DRM version having a double-digit framerate difference. I'm sure there's other games out there which suffered similar performance issues whereas others weren't really affected.

To be fair there's not much difference between PC gaming and console gaming anymore, imo. We're even at the stage now where thanks to multiple console SKUs developers can't even target a single hardware spec to get the most out of it, so you end up with disasters like Cyberpunk. Then there's the reliance on release-now-patch-later etc. to the point where the line is becoming so thin we might as well start looking at consoles as pre-made PCs. I think the only remaining argument that can be made in favor of consoles is price for performance?

If you manage to buy one of them in the first place anyways, but then you're gambling with launch hardware so :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I more mean software than hardware. Drivers, DRM, all that nasty poo poo.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

How’s the one x version of Dishonored 2? I’m wondering if I should play it on my series x or my pc, which has an og 1080 in it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Hedonist posted:

How’s the one x version of Dishonored 2? I’m wondering if I should play it on my series x or my pc, which has an og 1080 in it.

The console versions of Dishonored 2 are awful. The worst input lag I've ever felt on a console game.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The console versions of Dishonored 2 are awful. The worst input lag I've ever felt on a console game.

PC it is! Thanks

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fair point but it feels like consoles update more than PCs nowadays as well. Sony with their constant ~stability fixes~ and Microsoft updating the storefront for the millionth time, or you'll turn your console on but can't do anything until the system update is installed and it's rebooted etc. which makes me wonder how long until we do start getting more software-related things like that to deal with?

We're long past the days of buying games that are complete and cannot be patched and you put them in your console of choice and play instantly. Now everything's online with updates galore.

I mean I like playing Destiny 2 and their last update removed huge chunks of paid content from the game, literally multiple expansions that cost money and all associated content was removed. Now there's not much to do in the game and they already had their "You need to accept these new terms not to file a class action lawsuit before you're allowed to play the game ever again" months before this happened, meaning you either accept or just get stuck on the title screen unable to play the game ever again. Hopefully the community puts some pressure on them but I never thought I'd see something like that happen in a video game, let alone a console game.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

You aren't gonna get better than 30fps on console because it's capped but the Series X will run it well (the One X does) but the issues Quantum raised are also valid.

Just bear in mind that it is a really demanding game and even with a 1080 (and whatever CPU you have) you're gonna be fiddling with a lot of stuff to try and get it running at 60fps, and it could look pretty rough after achieving that. The game could and likely will run great at the start, but the real test comes at the second beginning shortly after (you'll be on a boat with sunshine approaching a dock - that's the stress test point for performance and where you'll see your frames start taking a hit - on old consoles it's a slideshow).

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Thanks thread now i’m reinstalling the 1st Dishonered. Gonna go for the blink-only playthrough achievement for the hell of it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Don't forget the DLC either, it's fantastic.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I have a 360, skipped the One, and have a Series X now. For those 360 games that are backwards compatible, can I get my saves off of the 360? Can I upload to Live and move over? Or is it just start fresh on any of those games?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

I have a 360, skipped the One, and have a Series X now. For those 360 games that are backwards compatible, can I get my saves off of the 360? Can I upload to Live and move over? Or is it just start fresh on any of those games?

Yeah you can upload to your cloud storage with Live and then the One and Series just use that cloud storage

Barudak
May 7, 2007

elf help book posted:

Any game on your 360 you played while connected to the internet after uh, 2010? will automatically have a cloud save no need to transfer, xbox will pull it from the cloud. If your save is older than that, either decide if you want to start fresh or quickly boot up the 360 and let it connect to the internet so it can upload your save to the cloud.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Thanks. Cool. I still have my 360, and had Live and used cloud storage back then. I'll hook it up and try pushing the saves online again. Maybe they deleted the saves while I was off Live for years.

Telling me it should work at least gives me reason to bother trying that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They don't delete your saves. I'd honestly just fire up the game on your Series X first and see if they pull down before going through hooking a 360 back up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

They don't delete your saves. I'd honestly just fire up the game on your Series X first and see if they pull down before going through hooking a 360 back up.

I have, I loaded up a 360 game on my Series X and my save wasn't there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

elf help book posted:

I have, I loaded up a 360 game on my Series X and my save wasn't there.

Ah ok, well then.

Fire up the 360 and push em all to the cloud. Its really one of the best features like when I was randomly reinstalling peggle 2 last week and my crusty as hell old saves pulled down.

On that note theres something wrong about those peggle 2 saves, because I have scores on levels marked as beaten below 10,000 and it is literally impossible to have a score below 10,000 on a stage you beat in peggle 2.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That happened to me, too, and I just assumed it was because I hadn't played that game since like 2009 so the save never got uploaded.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
On the 360 when cloud saves came to be, i recall it asking you if you wanted to opt in or not. I'm quite sure I didnt, so hopefully you still can (on 360) to get them up there?

Also curious how universal this is. For example, I had an Xbox 360 Skyrim save, then I bought an Xbox One version of the game, I actually never played it because at the time (2-3 years ago? idk) everyone said you couldn't use your 360 save for this Xbone game, anyone know if that's still true for Skyrim, or other examples of this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Skyrim on Xbox One is a different game than the 360, it's not backwards compatible so you wouldn't be able to use a 360 save

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I haven’t had a gpu driver issue in like 7 years, and I’m doing all the cutting edge vr poo poo. poo poo you don’t even have to reboot anymore it’s rather painless.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

There are rumours going around this week that Ubisoft+ might be added to Game Pass in the same way that EA Play was added.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not happening.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ok

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ubisoft love deep discounts and selling dlc so why not I guess.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stux posted:

been saying this

My XSX has been rock solid without any issues. :shrug:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

If Ubisoft has a vault-type service maybe that could be added. U+ offers games day 1 and costs the same as GPU, though, so I can’t imagine that could be added the same way as EA Play. Maybe they could do like a discount for adding it on or something.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ubisoft is proud to bring you the entire bin near the door of your local GameStop.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
So my XSX has done a weird thing where it just gets stuck on a black screen until I hard-reboot the thing. Happened once when trying to go to the home screen from a game, and once when starting up from sleep mode. Anyone else run into this?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Arcsech posted:

So my XSX has done a weird thing where it just gets stuck on a black screen until I hard-reboot the thing. Happened once when trying to go to the home screen from a game, and once when starting up from sleep mode. Anyone else run into this?

No, that’s weird. We’ve used ours pretty much nonstop since the day we got it and haven’t had any issues. When does it happen?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think I had a couple OS crashes around launch but it's been really smooth since the early December(?) update.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
I've had like 20 game crashes with my Series S, but I've assumed it's down to backwards compatibility issues. It always starts up again almost instantly and I've probably lost a total of like 5 minutes of progress so, eh

No system issues like what you're mentioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

No, that’s weird. We’ve used ours pretty much nonstop since the day we got it and haven’t had any issues. When does it happen?

I got it on the 29th, so about a week ago, and it's happened twice: once on the 29th (when going to the home screen from a game), and once just today (when I started it up). No other problems with it, I'll see if it keeps happening, I've still got a while left if I need to get it replaced or something.