Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Orlando’s had that on lockdown already, the I-4 Eyesore began construction 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Are there any benefits to keeping an annual pass active besides the 10-15% (?) reduced price for renewal (and obviously the ability to visit the park)?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Zero One posted:

There is some fallacy online that Disney is slow at building new attractions. They're not. They're deliberate and... like Gandalf... Disney is never late, nor are they early..[snip]

Yes Disney is ALSO doing "internal calculus" on how to best manage these $100 million+ projects. They don't come along every year so there isn't a good reason to rush and open them all as fast as possible. They are all planned to open when Disney thinks they will best benefit the business and give attendance a boost. This is the reason for construction "slowness" people never seem to understand. They can only think at a basic level of "I want new thing now!" And get upset because Disney won't spoil them.

I'd ask you what you would rather they do for Tron in light of Covid: 1) Finish the ride early then board it up for 12 months so it can get dusty, paint fades, and things break or "disappear". Or 2) pause construction now and then restart it in time to complete for the new planned opening date so it's all brand new when it opens?

I mean, I don't think Disney is accidentally slow at construction. I do think it's a bad strategy though. They love to ride these extremely long hype trains, apparently ignoring the non-monetary cost, as though a 4 year build out for Tron will somehow make people more excited to ride it than a 2 year build out.

And I do think there is a cost to these super slow build outs. Construction makes the parks demonstrably worse. Losing the railroad sucks. Future World without the fountain of nations is a bear to get around. Universe of Energy was uhh...okay, never mind it doesn't always work :v:

At core, I think this is really about larger questions of standards of show. It's a question that comes up all the time with certain attractions (I'm thinking of Rise here, but there's no shortage of examples), but I think slow (sorry, deliberate) construction presents the same questions. If construction interferes with the operation of the park, at what point is the correct play to throw more money at the project and just get the drat thing done? Disney apparently arrives at the conclusion that there is effectively no limit to that compromise. I disagree. I seriously doubt there's an objectively right answer. Certainly the answer wouldn't hold for every instance of constructions. But it's a more nuanced thing than "I want it now!"

I also think your dichotomy is weirder than presented, since that shiny and new period will happen no matter what, and (by definition) the number of people that ride it in that honeymoon period are going to very rapidly dwindle in favor of...everyone else. Like, what's wrong with just opening it when they said they would? I'd wager the thing would be filled to capacity even with COVID precautions (especially now that Disney is fine filling every row on its coasters).

Bottom Liner posted:

Criticizing Disney for not buying all the yet available for purchase vaccines is really dumb.

So is saying "there are more important things to worry about" when I gripe about Disney's COVID responses. Like, yeah, of course I'm not actually losing sleep about when a rolly coaster opens, but we're all in the bubble here, haha. I'm happy to admit I might've misread your meaning in favor of being snarky :)

Dren posted:

It’s exactly the same calculus as why no marvel movies have come out during the pandemic.

This isn't quite true, though. Attractions have legs in a way that movies don't. Maybe 7DMT isn't commanding quite the level of rope drop attention it did at opening, but its still the attraction that warps the way you think about touring the park.

Craptacular! posted:

In reality, though, the original Haunted Mansion’s little house sat abandoned and inaccessible for, what, five years? Seven? They built it in 1962 or so and then got lost in Worlds Fair projects, and when the ride opened Walt was gone.

And of course there were the Art of Animation hotels. Sometimes Disney just leaves poo poo.

Disney is a very different company now than they were in the early 00s (and obviously than in the 60s).

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Boxman posted:

Maybe 7DMT isn't commanding quite the level of rope drop attention it did at opening

Completely intentional derail, but 7DMT was really disappointing to me. Same with the slinky ride. Super short and not super fun? I dunno, they both felt like a local amusement coaster compared to a lot of the more thematic stuff I come to expect from WDW

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Cold take, toy story land is half assed

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Toy Story land has great theming and 2 major attractions and 1 minor (all good too IMO). Galaxies Edge needs one more minor attraction to feel complete, but together the two areas really make HS a great full day experience.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Toy story land has a pretty ho hum carnival ride, a excellent old ride, and a kiddie coater.
It has a lot of areas of just treelines and yet not enough shade In summer.
Give me a ride based on the ending of toy story 3 where we're all going to die

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

The Florida heat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

Toy story land has a pretty ho hum carnival ride, a excellent old ride, and a kiddie coater.
It has a lot of areas of just treelines and yet not enough shade In summer.

if they did a dark ride of "the grinder" or something I'd actually go during covid to ride it

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Ya'll I apologize for my unhinged ramblings lets all talk about this

https://twitter.com/neumaverick/status/1345886414987173888

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's fake, but wouldn't be surprised if someone starts it

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

the kiss goodbye is the best part of this.

In my passionate dystopian soul, disney offers this as an add-on to your vacation during covid. I'm so sad that isn't reality.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

I'm sorry, but I want Stitch to dance on my grave.

I see nothing wrong with this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want a Ben Swolo funeral

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Put my cremated remains in my Millennium Falcon popcorn bucket.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Canopic jars only they're BB-8 bottles and souvenir glasses from Trader Sam's.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bury me in a Star Wars special coke bottle

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I just want to be sprayed across the tiki room via the old fountain. blended, ashes, whatever. I'm flexible. I dunno what that old fountain's capabilities are. The birds finish off that one number and BOOM, fluffy bunnies fountain.

This is going to cost a fortune. Worth it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I have strict instructions to scatter my ashes along the Poly beach. Do it Shawshank style with my ashes in the cuffs of your jeans.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I want my remains spread around Magic Kingdom

Also I don't want to be cremated.

Presumably this will require some coordination with Bioreconstruct

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Finally getting that "Song of the south" plantation-themed burial.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hook my body to the largest firework you've got and send me on my way

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Give me the Body Worlds treatment and stick me in the Haunted Mansion attic

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Boxman posted:

Bodies parts with little parachutes attached. Thrown from a circling helicopter?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Boxman posted:

sorry, you'll have to settle for being a permanent part of a building foundation in EU, how does nintendoland sound?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Jim Hill's latest podcast he just casually drops Zootopia will come to Animal Kingdom and was going to be announced as part of the WDW 50th but will probably get announced later now. Curious what kind of stuff got axed from the 50th celebration because it sounds like a lot.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Jim Hill is often wrong, btw.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just FYI for those who have reservations or are possibly thinking about it if conditions improve this year, Disney has a new offer of two free park ticket days if you book a four day ticket.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

If they bring monorail hotel pricing down out of the stratosphere for food and wine I'll be suckered into going this year unless the vaccine rollout goes really poorly.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Virtue posted:

If they bring monorail hotel pricing down out of the stratosphere for food and wine I'll be suckered into going this year unless the vaccine rollout goes really poorly.

LOL

Get ready for record setting price increases on everything once Covid is done.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zero One posted:

LOL

Get ready for record setting price increases on everything once Covid is done.

If tonight goes as it seems it might, people are going to have some money to spend.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

If tonight goes as it seems it might, people are going to have some money to spend.

What’s the context here? I don’t follow news closely these days for stress-management purposes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Georgia had 2 senate run offs and both democratic candidates won, giving back control of the senate to the dems and sending Mitch McConnel to the loving dumpster where he belongs. Mitch was the singular person that kept the stimulus checks from being $2000 last week. Now we can pass that and more.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 6, 2021

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Georgia had 2 senate run offs and both democratic candidates won

Holy poo poo. This was one of the news topics I had been avoiding, since I couldn’t affect the outcome and reading about it did not help my blood pressure. Yay for a possibly functioning government, at least until midterms.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Georgia had 2 senate run offs and both democratic candidates won, giving back control of the senate to the dems and sending Mitch McConnel to the loving dumpster where he belongs. Mitch was the singular person that kept the stimulus checks from being $2000 last week. Now we can pass that and more.

ossoff, the guy that I've been working for over the past several weeks, has not won yet.

but he loving better.

E: I want to see Perdue's filthy loving tears.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The NYT reporters have independently said they've seen enough to call both races even if nothing's official. I'll sleep well tonight.

EDIT : NYT has Ossoff >95% now, too. /\ and nice work

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 6, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

ossoff, the guy that I've been working for over the past several weeks, has not won yet.

but he loving better.

It's past midnight and I'm glued to the TV.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
And here I was expecting another slapfight over the ethics of advertising vacations when I saw 8 new posts. Instead, I got the news I was hoping for here, of all places. I second what was said above - here's to slightly improved times ahead.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Virtue posted:

unless the vaccine rollout goes really poorly.

It’s already going poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

but he loving better.

You're working for the campaign? That's dope. Rooting hard for yall. Maybe they will pass that travel stimulus towards the end of the pandemic that was kicked around awhile ago.