Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I like all the pylons. I also like the wind farms.

They are weird and slightly alien and off kilter, it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Lol, looks like Johnsons wrist watch must have stopped before that live broadcast, as it certainly wasn't showing 8 O clock.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Perfect Element posted:

Lol, looks like Johnsons wrist watch must have stopped before that live broadcast, as it certainly wasn't showing 8 O clock.

That explains how he managed to be on time for a broadcast.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't it supposed to be 5x5 so you can do a diagonal?

E; any Glasgoons gonna turn up to welcome the Big 'Un?
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1346174588942766081?s=19

I'd assume not because Prestwick is about as far from Glasgow as Heathrow (mild hyperbole), but you'd have to travel through Glasgow City Council, Renfrewshire, North Ayrshire & South Ayrshire council areas to get there & you're not meant to travel from council area to council area at the moment.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Julio Cruz posted:

lol they just had a PUBG question on Only Connect

have a guess if either of the teams got the answer
Just watched today's... where was the PUBG question..?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

forkboy84 posted:

I'd assume not because Prestwick is about as far from Glasgow as Heathrow (mild hyperbole), but you'd have to travel through Glasgow City Council, Renfrewshire, North Ayrshire & South Ayrshire council areas to get there & you're not meant to travel from council area to council area at the moment.

He's still president until 5pm on the 20th in Britain, so presumably covered by diplomatic immunity. Enough time to land, travel to his resort, and get a round of golf in?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ewan posted:

Just watched today's... where was the PUBG question..?

the one where the four things literally spelled out Player Unknown's Battle Grounds?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Soylent Yellow posted:

He's still president until 5pm on the 20th in Britain, so presumably covered by diplomatic immunity. Enough time to land, travel to his resort, and get a round of golf in?

Yes but the glasgoons travelling to the airport would not be.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sebzilla posted:

That explains how he managed to be on time for a broadcast.

Scottish friend of mine is saying Johnson's speech was pre-recorded?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

the one where the four things literally spelled out Player Unknown's Battle Grounds?

And they still didn't get it? Only Connect players really are the worst.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Scottish friend of mine is saying Johnson's speech was pre-recorded?

That seemed to be the word before hand, but it was emblazoned with 'LIVE' during the actual broadcast.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
why on earth wouldnt they prerecord it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If you have a ten minute window when he's not blind drunk and crying and the corner you take it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And they still didn't get it? Only Connect players really are the worst.

they got the first three and had to give the fourth

I think some other teams would have got it, even by the standards of quiz shows OC's contestants are incredibly goony

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

That seemed to be the word before hand, but it was emblazoned with 'LIVE' during the actual broadcast.

I was on Gloria Hunniford Live once - and it was pre-recorded.
I think when they say 'live' they mean it's recorded as it happens with no editing rather than it is happening right here and now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Barry from eastenders is an excellent pro-am celeb quizzer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheRat posted:

I gotta say, I didn't expect this to be the thread where wanting to preserve nature in the face of limitless global growth would be met with harsh hostility

We shat it. It's far too late to equivocate about climate change & hope people change their behaviour & use less power, we have to move to renewables now. Wind works & is a drat sight better than continued desertification of the Sahel regions leading to increased global food insecurity.

TheRat posted:

I live in rural western norway, and while it might be NIMBY I think it's incredibly depressing to see what it does to the nature I grew up hiking in. I find a hydropower drat much less intrusive than endless rows of giant buzzsaws

I think you should look into what goes into the construction of a dam. Obviously at the extreme end of the spectrum you've got something like the Three Gorges Dam which involved moving 1.3 million people & has caused untold damage to a variety of species from river dolphins to plants to cranes. Partly to the habitat turning into a massive loving lake, partly to things like changes to water temperature, the drat preventing fish from completing their migration or even just river creatures getting hosed up in the turbines. But all that can & does apply to dams on a smaller scale. Obviously that can be managed to some extent (Dinorwig in Wales was built to minimise the environmental impact in the Snowdonia National Park but that's costly & you know what capitalism is like) but plenty of dams do plenty damage to the environment in way that isn't comparable to wind farms ruining your walk.

I'm biased because I have always liked the look of them, there's quite a few round these parts & I don't find them ugly but even if I did, it's a necessary evil at this point.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ewan posted:

The best type of power plant is a giant array of solar panels in space that then transmit the energy down to earth via a highly-concentrated microwave energy beam aimed at a receiver.

If you remember to turn off disasters then there are zero downsides to this.

Actually, I think you’ll find that the real solution to our energy problems is to create a mountain and then cover it in water, turning it entirely into waterfall blocks that you can then place entirely clean hydroelectric plants on. Best of doing this in the terrain editor before you build your city, though.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I take it you're not a fan of Pylon of the Month then. This is December's. Phwoar, look at the rack on that!

source: https://www.pylonofthemonth.org/

Ban this sick filth.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

He waited for a few seconds and blatantly looked at someone off camera as if to say "are we live?" before he started speaking, so if it was pre-recorded then it was quite convincing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

LIES!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Woo i'll be getting my training for volunteer vaccinating soon

Can't wait to stab people with abandon

You're supposed to stab them with a needle you fool.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
In darkest Somerset, there used to be a place where they'd tie pylons up and do all sorts of things to them...

Like, y'know, systematic full scale testing to identify complex modes of failure in an era before reliable computer analysis.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Julio Cruz posted:

Maybe we watched different episodes

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ewan posted:

Maybe we watched different episodes

the one I watched was on BBC2 at 8pm so I'm assuming you picked the wrong one somehow through catch-up

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Also I've just realised Boris has two union flags in the background. Kier only had one!

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Someone has done a track changes version of the new guidance.

https://www.docdroid.net/POIBP0P/guidance-tracked-changes-pdf

Putting schools aside, pretty much same as Tier 4. Only substance differences seem to be the addition of zoos, the limit of "once per day" for exercise, and strengthening of wording re: working from home (can go to work when it is "unreasonable to work from home"). Not sure the latter two with have much teeth in the actual legislation though.

Also added golf courses to the things that have to shut, but added playgrounds to the things that can be open.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're supposed to stab them with a needle you fool.
He is, the band is to identify him as a volunteer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just near the Excel there's a really weird situation because they plonked down a massive international conference centre and about 20,000 homes right through one of the main utility pathways into London which leads you to what I'm sure has to be a fairly unique phenomenon - at least in a built-up area - where a public right of way goes *through* a pylon, letting me get this rather trippy photo:

There's all sorts of other oddities about the area once you know what you're looking for, like the weird kinks in the DLR and Crossrail tracks and the big gap between them and the centre itself to avoid building over the massive gas pipe into east London (fed from the LPG evaporator plant up the road at Gallions Reach that just adds to the fascinating melange of smells coming from the sewage works) and of course the abandoned industrial buildings across the dock from Excel that are all that's left of Beckton Gas Works and are definitely there for heritage reasons and so film buffs can point out where the sniper scene in Apocalypse Now was filmed and not because there's so much asbestos, cyanide, and other fascinating byproducts of Town Gas production in them that if you removed them the whole lot would just fall over.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

He is, the band is to identify him as a volunteer.

:hmmyes:

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...that are all that's left of Beckton Gas Works and are definitely there for heritage reasons and so film buffs can point out where the sniper scene in Apocalypse Now was filmed...

Full Metal Jacket.

edit: but I appreciated the post.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1346220189633957888?s=20

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a fairly unique phenomenon - at least in a built-up area - where a public right of way goes *through* a pylon, letting me get this rather trippy photo:

I don't know whether you'd describe Huddersfield as a built up area, or somewhere that's passed that highpoint a while ago and is now on the glideslope back to organic entropy, but anyway... I've boated between the legs of this pylon and gazed up its iron skirt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huddersfield_Narrow_Canal_Pylon

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Stalybridge and pylons? Eurgh.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
The best pylons are the French ones with the cute kitty ears that follow you alongside the Eurostar. If you're going to cover the countryside in them they should at least be interesting.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I loving love wind turbines.

My first job ever was running cable as IT for a solar power company that my mum worked for at the time.

She's always been massively into renewable and whenever I spot a good wind turbine I send her a pic.

She used to take me up onto the hills as a kid right under them to see them. They're loving glorious and one of the few good things that are massive industrial structures.

There's loads here in Sheffield and they're AWESOME. gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

Psa. I am able to drink again and work was hard and lovely and everything broke over Christmas. Hi goons I love you all, even the misguided guy from Norway. My Swedish friends say Norway has terrible roads. Is that true?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So a quick update for all fudge fans. I spoke to our council environmental health department today, after failing to get through for days. I need to submit paperwork tomorrow, but I should be up and running again by the 1st of February. Just in time for Valentine’s Day, assuming that it’s still possible to buy sugar etc.

So worry not, ye fudge addicts. You are not cut off for long!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do you cook your fudge by induction or gas hob? Do you use windpower to provide your electricity to power your possibly non gas hobs? Does fudge get cooked on the hobs?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you use windpower to provide your electricity to power your possibly non gas hobs?

if so, does it ruin at least one previously picturesque vista

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Camrath can you make Toblerone fudge please :)