Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

lol does it work?

*me, thinking as hard as I can about the observer effect* yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Giga Gaia posted:

about as well as reading the invisibles

i think youll find creating the secret or the invisibles was much more powerful

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

jarofpiss posted:

lol does it work?

it's just a different set of rituals about your "goal" like vision boards and stuff. I'm sure you'll encounter it one day if you're searching for mystical self improvement stuff on the reg. It's basically a streamlined version of the internet new age witch stuff

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Secret was just prosperity gospel for libs

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.

Lady Militant posted:

oh gently caress are we 40k posting :getin:

i like 40k lore, reading about world deleting superweapons and walking deities is p sweet imo

not going blowing my savings on fecking models though! no thanks im good!!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Marzzle posted:

it's just a different set of rituals about your "goal" like vision boards and stuff. I'm sure you'll encounter it one day if you're searching for mystical self improvement stuff on the reg. It's basically a streamlined version of the internet new age witch stuff

i only like deadlift rituals and my vision is to go back to the gym asap

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

The Secret was just prosperity gospel for libs

does that make oprah lib joel osteen?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

jarofpiss posted:

i only like deadlift rituals and my vision is to go back to the gym asap

yeah you could use the secrets for that sure

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

jarofpiss posted:

my example of athletic ritual is specifically about stuff that shouldnt matter what order you do them in and that the significance entirely exists in your head, that’s the opposite of installing sheetrock where it very much does matter what order you do things in

i was joking about the synchronicity thing. i mostly just thing hardline atheists really miss out on the utility that imagination can have

why shouldn't the order matter? you are simply assuming that it shouldn't without understanding the physiological effects each step has on you, and how each step affects the next.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
I have seen the light and now without a shred of irony believe the Puritans are comrades who did nothing wrong.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Admiral Ray posted:

why shouldn't the order matter? you are simply assuming that it shouldn't without understanding the physiological effects each step has on you, and how each step affects the next.

lol like 95% of fitness tips, tricks, and broscience come down to complete nonsense at the end of the day, he's probably justified in assuming his ritual doesn't make a huge difference

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

lol like 95% of fitness tips, tricks, and broscience come down to complete nonsense at the end of the day, he's probably justified in assuming his ritual doesn't make a huge difference

of course, but without actually knowing why the ritual works (eg, it's entirely placebo effect and the order only matters for that) there isn't any justification for assuming the order shouldn't matter.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

because i could have trained to wrap my wrists in a different order or whatever and it would be the same thing and it only matters within the context of the ritual where every step gets me more psyched up. it’s the belief that lends the physiological effect imo. same thing as when baseball players scratch their nuts and lick their fingers in a specific order.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

not sure how you sincerely engage in spiritual ritual if you are perfectly aware its made up fiction.

Ask alan moore

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

i think a getting hyped ritual has a pretty huge difference in physical capability but i will agree that athletes are magicians

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
we are so far away from actually having a comprehensive understanding of the nervous system processes involved in "hear song or wear lucky wrap or whatever the gently caress -> get pumped -> lift more weights or run farther and faster" that trying to understand that whole thing comprehensively from a scientific perspective is pretty much a waste of time imo.

like when ancient greeks argued about whether air, fire, or water was the primordial element

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Ask alan moore

is he trying to start a cult now

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i loving cannot wait to discover the proper anti covid ward and go back to my studies in the tower of iron

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i have 9999 rituals to help me play better tennis and bowl better but i still suck poo poo at both of em. QED The God Delusion, love science, etc. Begone diest n00bies

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

we are so far away from actually having a comprehensive understanding of the nervous system processes involved in "hear song or wear lucky wrap or whatever the gently caress -> get pumped -> lift more weights or run farther and faster" that trying to understand that whole thing comprehensively from a scientific perspective is pretty much a waste of time imo.

like when ancient greeks argued about whether air, fire, or water was the primordial element

the pentagon is the original sin and Pythagoras its instigator

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the polymorph problem

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Smythe posted:

i have 9999 rituals to help me play better tennis and bowl better but i still suck poo poo at both of em. QED The God Delusion, love science, etc. Begone diest n00bies

Uus Mani

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

is he trying to start a cult now

Again?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Victory Position posted:

the pentagon is the original sin and Pythagoras its instigator

100's of millions dead due to Pythagoras's invention geometry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

ex uus prob beter

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

[redrawing every tarot card until I get all the ones with some T&A] hell yeah, things are looking up for ol’ fortaleza

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is this the occult thread, generally? I was wondering if there is an Islamic equivalent to Kabbalah. Sufism?

Also lol that in Thelema at the highest levels you have to do ritual butt stuff.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Is this the occult thread, generally? I was wondering if there is an Islamic equivalent to Kabbalah. Sufism?

Also lol that in Thelema at the highest levels you have to do ritual butt stuff.

does andrew wk have any songs about butt stuff

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

jarofpiss posted:

i think you can literally make up whatever you want to evoke those feelings for whatever utility you find in them. i think people get too hung up on deciding value based on whether something is “real” or not

"believe whatever you want if you perceive it as having utility to you right now" is why we have qanon people being elected to congress, why nothing is being done about climate change, etc

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Jan 4, 2021

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
toss a coin to your witcher

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Finicums Wake posted:

"believe whatever you want if you perceive it as having utility to you right now" is why we have qanon people being elected to congress, why nothing is being done about climate change, et

but have you considered iNtErNeT aThIeStIm harshing people’s posting vibes? until we can address this issue, no criticism of the mystic arts can take place

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

we don't have to comprehensively understand it today, but we shouldn't expect it to be anything beyond our understanding. i don't think it's a waste of time because accepting that it is possible to understand motivates people to try to do so, even if they fail repeatedly along the way.

jarofpiss posted:

because i could have trained to wrap my wrists in a different order or whatever and it would be the same thing and it only matters within the context of the ritual where every step gets me more psyched up. it's the belief that lends the physiological effect imo. same thing as when baseball players scratch their nuts and lick their fingers in a specific order.

right, and that means the order of the steps should matter since the ritual is part of the training you performed. i'm not saying those same exact steps could be applied to another person and yield the same result, but rather that if they deviate from their particular order they may also have reduced performance. belief may not have a lot to do with that given that we do know that neuronal firing patterns are highly associative and deviating from an embedded one will throw the others off, which will result in worse performance.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Finicums Wake posted:

"believe whatever you want if you perceive it as having utility to you right now" is why we have qanon people being elected to congress, why nothing is being done about climate change, etc

everyone knows there are the white robes
of good magic, the red robes of neutral, and the black robes of evil.

deadlift magic is at worst neutral alignment

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

jarofpiss posted:

everyone knows there are the white robes
of good magic, the red robes of neutral, and the black robes of evil.

deadlift magic is at worst neutral alignment

This seems racially problematic

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
people like to talk up magic but thanks to my secret laboratory i have a robot dog and a rocket ship and a shrink ray. man i loving love science

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

croup coughfield posted:

toss a coin to your witcher

witchers are just colonizers. don't support magic cops

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

witchers are just colonizers. don't support magic cops

*tackles the Orkin man to the ground* ACAB!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

people like to talk up magic but thanks to my secret laboratory i have a robot dog and a rocket ship and a shrink ray. man i loving love science

boy genius blind in the third eye. tragic

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

christmas boots posted:

This seems racially problematic

wait until you hear what they say about gully dwarves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Casey Finnigan posted:

my vaccine free indigo children will save the world, the fae whispered it to me through the cards :witch: