Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Weee. UK variant found a county over from where I live. Allegedly person was working at a busy store on Broadway during the Christmas rush.

https://twitter.com/nygovcuomo/status/1346200269818896386?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Yeah, Brexvid-20 is everywhere by now and it's gonna turbo-gently caress us lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’ll go away one day like magic!

It being 50% of the population I guess

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
All Thanos needed was the turbo-flu and Jackass Capitalism.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
B.1.1.7 warrants proactive aggressive lockdowns, stat. Which isn't going to happen. Sooo yeah I bought a respirator.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If everyone is armed at all times, then won't we be policing ourselves?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxlunxSZ-Yc&t=37s

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

ephex posted:

Yeah, Brexvid-20 is everywhere by now and it's gonna turbo-gently caress us lol

COVID-19 test manufacturer blog posted:

Last week, we reported observing ~0.5% of recent positive HelixⓇ COVID-19 Tests in the US with S gene dropout that may be attributed to B.1.1.7.

From all the nationwide tests they're processing, they're seeing an indication of ~0.5% being B.1.1.7

Given the million or so positives cases last week that 0.5% is lot of active contagious.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

At the time of the first lockdown in March, hospitalisations were doubling every six days, so we're still ahead of that particular curve.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The conspiracy world is pretty animated over the mRNA vaccines (presumably because they don't have the adjuvants and preservatives that they like to say are the evil thing in traditional vaccines so they ahve to come up with a whole new conspiracy), claiming they rewrite all of the DNA in your body for... reasons. If he's a believer in those conspiracies *and* aware of how fragile the vaccines are, his actions make sense - he's "saving" the patients by deactivating the evil mRNA, without having to deal with the brainwashed sheeple demanding their jabs that he'd have got if he just refused to give them.

Admittedly this requires a pretty narrow window of knowledge and conspiracism (and dumbness in presumably believing he wouldn't get caught) but it's a big world and the chances of him - and others - being in that sweet spot are probably pretty high.

https://twitter.com/BadCOVID19Takes/status/1346242069375950854

Called it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At the time of the first lockdown in March, hospitalisations were doubling every six days, so we're still ahead of that particular curve.

can't double hospitalizations if theres no room in the hospitals :discourse:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God almost all of these reports of people with the UK strain had no travel history

Really not good

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The UK variant is going to pound the US then it tags in the South African variant

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Acquaintance of mine survived a bout around Christmas, and is loudly doing the "the flu was worse!!!!!!!" spiel. Idk how to counter that so Ill just ignore it I guess.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My neighbor had 12 people over today (20+ different individuals since xmas, 0 masks all the way around) and tried to run over and get me to look at her dog maskless. she then fed my dogs biscuits at my fence line. maskless. I have all my gates locked with padlocks and chains at this point because otherwise they'd be running to my door without a mask.

There's a loving superspreader event here in GA tonight with Trump making GBS threads himself everywhere about it. I know he isn't the sole reason this is so bad (he's a big part, but not the only reason) but I really, really hope this is better under loving joe. I don't think it will be and joe still sucks but gently caress's sake.

The UK variant is somehow less likely to kill people, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The UK variant is somehow less likely to kill people, right?
It's a lot more infectious, but I don't believe it's less deadly

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a lot more infectious, but I don't believe it's less deadly

well, more infections means more people are going to catch it and die, so in a sense, it is more deadly.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Has Covid issued any demands yet?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Medieval Medic posted:

well, more infections means more people are going to catch it and die, so in a sense, it is more deadly.

A lot more people, because spreading faster makes it more likely to overwhelm hospital capacity.

e: once you factor Boris's idiot optimism out of the UK vaccination timetable it's gonna take all year; plenty of time for some even more exciting variants to evolve :stoked:

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 5, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

numberoneposter posted:

Has Covid issued any demands yet?

No, and that bastard didn't honor the christmas truce either.

THe Germans had more honor than that jerk.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Acquaintance of mine survived a bout around Christmas, and is loudly doing the "the flu was worse!!!!!!!" spiel. Idk how to counter that so Ill just ignore it I guess.

ask him to tell your dead coworker's family that

doesn't matter if you have a coworker that died, he's full of poo poo too and should feel bad

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Inept posted:

ask him to tell your dead coworker's family that

"Ugh, they would have died anyway".

Or he just wouldn't care and admit as much.

Green Nail Polish
Nov 15, 2020

Dandywalken posted:

Gently explain that they were fortunate and many others were not? Many even died?

If they don't care about that then yep you've got yourself a "total jerk" right there.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
So I'm reading a lot about front line healthcare workers refusing to get vaccinated. Anecdotally, I'm friend with an ICU nurse and she says lot of her coworkers are refusing to get it.

Im starting to feel like it might not be a bad idea to just open up the vaccine to everyone that wants one on a first come first serve basis. Its better than letting doses expire. And it might actually make real dent in the spread. If people that are literally surrounded by dying covid patients every day don't want it then why not let the rest of us get it?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I agree, the rollout has been bad enough that they should just ship what they can to CVS and Walgreens and just give it to whoever comes in

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

We'll be lucky if 50% of the population gets the vaccine.

I have a friend who visited family for thanksgiving and christmas, and is now really sick. Who could have foreseen this??!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
LA RMS Agency directive to conserve oxygen, provides updated guidelines for administration.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pervaizistan/status/1346283751861608449

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

it needs to be no mask no service

This happened to me. I was out and went to the milk bar and forgot to put on my mask once I stepped inside, (we are allowed to go maskless outdoors, so long as we're not in goups). The lady at the counter told me, (through her mask), to put on a mask or gently caress off. I apologised, and luckily I had my mask in my back pocket out of habit, put it on and I was allowed to buy my can of coke.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This happened to me. I was out and went to the milk bar and forgot to put on my mask once I stepped inside, (we are allowed to go maskless outdoors, so long as we're not in goups). The lady at the counter told me, (through her mask), to put on a mask or gently caress off. I apologised, and luckily I had my mask in my back pocket out of habit, put it on and I was allowed to buy my can of coke.

I've been pretty good about masking up when going inside somewhere, but when it first became a requirement here I screwed up a few times.
It sucks when you forget and you're all like "aw gently caress sorry", and they're muttering under their breath, "yeah sure pal".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I can't keep track of all the Canadian politicians resigning over going on international Christmas vacations

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've heard people talk about dreams where they forgot to wear their mask in public. I finally had one of my own last night. How scary!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Picnic Princess posted:

I can't keep track of all the Canadian politicians resigning over going on international Christmas vacations

Alberta is going to Alberta. ALWAYS.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Picnic Princess posted:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I started taking fish oil again, which the only thing that lets me remember my dreams, and I’ve been having mask dreams every night for a week so far.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Heyyyyy what's up with Ireland?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/
Seems bad. :thunk:

Their reported cases up until Dec 31 were WAY down compared to Northern Ireland, but there were apparently they were entering all their coronavirus data manually so their numbers were weird
https://twitter.com/VictimOfMaths/status/1344371642361925632

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

There's talk of a possible Federal election this year so the parties are nipping that poo poo in the bud.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

can't double hospitalizations if theres no room in the hospitals :discourse:

That's an actual argument being made elsewhere on the internet. Literally "Guys the media is just sensationalizing things, see hospitalization rates are flattening out" while ignoring that that's because many hospitals are so full that they have stopped admitting stroke and heart attack victims

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Good news, New York solved the slow vaccine rollout!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1346141425822556161
https://twitter.com/ZackFinkNews/status/1346139342591447042

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Isn't this just going to encourage forgery/dumping doses down the drain?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vakal posted:

There's talk of a possible Federal election this year so the parties are nipping that poo poo in the bud.

Unpopular opinion but I think it’s getting dumb. A cabinet minister setting up fake pictures of opening presents and national pancake day to cover up a frivolous trip to the Caribbean is not the same thing as a backbencher going to see her dying grandmother in Greece. It’s not even Christmas there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

I agree, the rollout has been bad enough that they should just ship what they can to CVS and Walgreens and just give it to whoever comes in

That's possibly the worst idea I've ever seen on the forums and I've witnessed a lot of failed goon projects

Like simply not bothering to take into account risk at all and simply doling out the very limited number of vaccines via voluntary lottery would be very stupid, but you also want to turn every drug store into a 24/7 superspreader center. Holy poo poo.