Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Samadhi posted:

I'm throwing up the Leper-signal for him an anyone else who plays D&D, looking for some input:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877675&pagenumber=531#post511229811

Sorry, I basically didn't read this thread over the last day and a half. You posted in the right thread and probably got good advice there; I don't play D&D any more and have never read the 5e rules, so I'm not much help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Gotta say when I see people go how bad SA is I think they are exaggerating, but then I go to C-SPAM and understand lol; with how many people being brain poisoned to listen to Jimmy Dore to hate AOC

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

achillesforever6 posted:

Gotta say when I see people go how bad SA is I think they are exaggerating, but then I go to C-SPAM and understand lol; with how many people being brain poisoned to listen to Jimmy Dore to hate AOC

The only good political thread for me is the trump lol thread in GBS

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ehud posted:

The only good political thread for me is the trump lol thread in GBS
:respek:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jimmy Dore is just circumstantially left. He’s a loving inflammatory moron who happens to be largely on the right side of the political spectrum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Here's a cool story about a confusing play in the Seahawks/9ers game yesterday.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...a-100000-bonus/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

LeeMajors posted:

Jimmy Dore is just circumstantially left. He’s a loving inflammatory moron who happens to be largely on the right side of the political spectrum.

I couldn't exactly put my finger on what bothered me about Dore except dude loves to yell

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Spoeank posted:

I couldn't exactly put my finger on what bothered me about Dore except dude loves to yell

He’s got the knucklehead no true Scotsman thing going on w the American ‘left,’ such as it is.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The fact that ironmaster hasn't updated their site to say whether or not notifications have gone out yet combined with only informing you if your entry was drawn and sending nothing if it wasn't is driving me bananas

They put up the "will be informed early this week" over a week ago now and it's still there

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Intruder posted:

The fact that ironmaster hasn't updated their site to say whether or not notifications have gone out yet combined with only informing you if your entry was drawn and sending nothing if it wasn't is driving me bananas

They put up the "will be informed early this week" over a week ago now and it's still there

Notifications for winners of this round of quick lock dumbbells lottery went out on the 27th/28th according to Reddit.

Yeah, ironmaster doesn’t have the best customer communication. But they got the best product so whatcha gonna do :shobon:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Like I have my criticisms of the DSA, especially how the M4A Working Group was mainly built around Bernie and going all in on the Bernie Campaign without any other thought put into it.

I'm just really annoyed at people lapping up this idea that screaming things into existence is actually organizing something and that me saying it isn't organizing is me gatekeeping because people don't want to do the loving work and rather pretend that I'm being an elitist who reads theory (which I'm not lol)

BTW Look what the thing people feared would happen
https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1346209249312055297

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 5, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
T-800: “It’s in your nature to destroy yourselves.”

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

achillesforever6 posted:

When someone is probated I always check to see what it was, and like 90% of the time it's C-SPAM. Sometimes a glimpse into some of the C-SPAM vitriol helps me understand the seemingly random antagonizing between posters in the threads I frequent.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I literally said "what the gently caress" out loud. Guess I am boycotting safeway now

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I ordered Papa John’s the other day and it came from a Door Dash driver. I’m guessing they’re doing the same thing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I literally said "what the gently caress" out loud. Guess I am boycotting safeway now

Safeway? I skimmed the article, it seemed like it was just vons & albertsons, for now, but I might have missed something

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leperflesh posted:

Safeway? I skimmed the article, it seemed like it was just vons & albertsons, for now, but I might have missed something

Albertson's owns Safeway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I forgot that I wanted to respond to this:

Bird in a Blender posted:

For real, it’s a cutting board for her to use, so I can understand her wanting something that works because otherwise I’m just making her a gift that will aggravate her more. I’ll get it fixed, I think I was just venting because I was mad at myself for the mistake, and at that moment was frustrated with her.

As a fellow still-learning-stuff woodworker, maybe this is something you can say to your wife:

Woodworking is not just a collection of tool skills. The essential skill in woodworking, as with many crafting hobbies, is problem solving. And like all skills, problem solving requires practice. So, part of the process of making something, especially for the first time, is running into problems, and then working out how to deal with them, yourself. Yes, you can ask for advice if you're truly stuck, but even then, you'll have your own workspace, your own tools, and every chunk of wood is unique in its particular grain and behavior. So you still have to figure it out. How do I clamp this, with my clamps, my workbench, my glue, this particular wood? Why am I getting tearout here, is it this species, my tools, my technique? Why aren't these pieces lining up, did I plane them poorly, should I rearrange grain direction, did they warp after I cut them?

This weekend I was figuring out this picture frame I'm making. I decided on the fly that I'm not happy with the quality of hardware-store hanging hardware. And I'd already made a couple of brass strips to hold in the stuff (glass, picture, backing, etc.); so, OK, I think maybe I'll cut and file some brass into one of those jaggy-teethed nail holder brackets, and can I set it flush in the frame? Sure, but that means the head of whatever nail or screw needs a space to be, so I need to cut a recess. How?

Drill? Router? Chisel? Hand router plane? What shape? How deep? Do I need to sand?

Experience told me to make the brass fitting first, position and outline it, and then cut within the outline, with a bit of space so the fit isn't overly snug. This maple has had a little tearout before, the grain isn't perfectly straight, so I decided to use a steel edge to scribe over my cut lines with a very sharp marking knife, cutting the grains before I did any more work. I started with a small chisel but I wanted a uniform depth, so I moved quickly to my little bitty router plane. But the iron on the plain requires some clearance, and I couldn't get clearance in all parts of the cutout, so I eventually went back to the chisels.

But that was just one approach, that I figured out, to a particular problem. I could have used other tools, or mounted the hardware not flush, or even just left off the hardware and left it to my parents to decide.

If I got stuck, asking for advice isn't bad, and I could have learned from that advice, sure. But the process of doing what I described above... looking at my workpiece, deciding I wanted some feature or aspect of it to change, and then deciding how to implement that, was itself a skill I was exercising and developing, and it's a skill that you cannot do without, it's fundamental.

tl;dr, when someone else tells you what to do with your project, they are taking away your opportunity to figure it out, and you need to figure a lot of projects out yourself (and make a lot of mistakes along the way) in order to get halfway decent at woodworking.

Timby posted:

Albertson's owns Safeway.

Huh. I thought it was just vons/lucky/albertsons. I wonder what makes them decide to use one particular brand, since we have both albertsons and safeways around here. I've been inside both and it's not like one seems more upscale or different particularly.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 5, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Joey Freshwater posted:

I ordered Papa John’s the other day and it came from a Door Dash driver. I’m guessing they’re doing the same thing?

I had a friend who had the same thing happen, except it was an old woman who had to be in her 80's dragging the pizza container on the ground.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I’ve always wished I had the personality of a intelligent, patient man...like Leperflesh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Like every loving local restaurant has started using doordash. It’s depressing and lovely.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think they've changed their policy ever since getting called out on it but DoorDash used to absolutely gently caress over their drivers on their tips, like they would pocket a huge chunk of the tips given to drivers via the app. This is why IMO you should always cash tip the driver regardless of what app you use for delivery.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I think they've changed their policy ever since getting called out on it but DoorDash used to absolutely gently caress over their drivers on their tips, like they would pocket a huge chunk of the tips given to drivers via the app. This is why IMO you should always cash tip the driver regardless of what app you use for delivery.

Yeah, I always tip cash and ask the driver to knock, because please don't leave the food and run, I'm trying to tip you cash, and like a third of the time, they just leave the food and welp.

I guess they're mad because I said no tip on the app?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

achillesforever6 posted:

but then I go to C-SPAM

as someone who has to read a lot of it for reasons I did to my own drat self (with an assist from intruder): bad decision

Nick Jr. Face posted:

This is true of most things everywhere right? Cash Tip > All

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Leper, can you explain to us the proper way to use a can opener on a can of beans?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Has anybody used groupwatch with Disney+?

I'm trying to figure out if I can let some friends watch by sharing my account, and creating unique profiles for them.

Some of the google results say that yeah, I just need 1 paying account. Other results say that everyone needs their own paying account.

It's been a long day at work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

swickles posted:

Leper, can you explain to us the proper way to use a can opener on a can of beans?

I think it's "starve while does a jigsaw puzzle."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Athanatos posted:

as someone who has to read a lot of it for reasons I did to my own drat self (with an assist from intruder): bad decision

I said make him a mod, not admin

You fool

You idiot

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I always tip cash and ask the driver to knock, because please don't leave the food and run, I'm trying to tip you cash, and like a third of the time, they just leave the food and welp.

I guess they're mad because I said no tip on the app?

My wife has put "tip is taped on the door!" in the app, food gets dropped, and tip is still left on the door.

E: also athanatos you have incredible patience, and despite what qcs says i think you do great. Probably helps that in here its usually self correcting so you don't have to deal with much and can instead throw your efforts into getting wrecked in qcs for another forum.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 5, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
GF got me to watch the first episode of Bachelor and I’m already so mad.

He didn’t pick the girl I liked but he also picked the train wreck who he was obviously made to pick because she brings drama to the show.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Athanatos posted:

This is true of most things everywhere right? Cash Tip > All
Yeah, primarily because it's tax-free money

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I don't understand people who want to post in QCS all the time. Seems miserable IMO.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

GF got me to watch the first episode of Bachelor and I’m already so mad.

He didn’t pick the girl I liked but he also picked the train wreck who he was obviously made to pick because she brings drama to the show.

At this point I think the Bachelor is meant to be consumed the same way adult wrestling fans consume wrestling. They know that you know it’s not real and the meta aspect becomes the actual meat of the show.

Anyway, this has been my audition piece for The Ringer, I hear they’re short a few writers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Yeah, primarily because it's tax-free money

You get taxed on expected tips and have to tip out on the same so cash tips still need to meet a certain threshold before they're better than tips on the card which are actually tracked

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m finally watching season 2 of Deadwood, and it’s a banger.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

You get taxed on expected tips and have to tip out on the same so cash tips still need to meet a certain threshold before they're better than tips on the card which are actually tracked

Door dash specifically was pocketing delivery fees if CC tips exceeded them on an order. That didn't happen with cash tips.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Spoeank posted:

What's scary is this is basically opening pandora's box and pretty soon NY and IL are going to be pushing similar initiatives

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Hot Diggity! posted:

I don't understand people who want to post in QCS all the time. Seems miserable IMO.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://twitter.com/kylekyle/status/1345941999833108484?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
edit: Wrong thread!