Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

kecske posted:

if so, does it ruin at least one previously picturesque vista

Every other bite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

I live near some pylons and I find them oddly comforting, there is something about the infrastructure and organisation behind it, that things can be made well and work and not everything is a shambles. Also loads of birds (swifts?) roost on the nearest one and they are lovely to watch.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you cook your fudge by induction or gas hob? Do you use windpower to provide your electricity to power your possibly non gas hobs? Does fudge get cooked on the hobs?

Originally it was done by gas. I now have an induction hob sitting in my kitchen waiting to be installed once the nightmare that is the wiring here gets straightened out. And my energy supplier boasts about using renewable sources, so I guess some vistas do get ruined someplace?

Tbh I fall on the ‘wind turbines look kinda awesome’ side of the spectrum anyway.

Convex posted:

Camrath can you make Toblerone fudge please :)

Yes I can, and yes I will. Assuming supplies of toblerone can still be obtained anyway.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What flavour is toblerone?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What flavour is toblerone?

Milk choc with honey and nuts and stuff. It’s really good to make fondue with, so should be grand for fudge.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Can you do it in March when it's my birthday and also I start my bulk cycle please. I loving love Toblerone. If you've ever thought about doing ferrero rocher, well, I wouldn't say no to that either. Or kinder bueno.

E: Basically anything that comes under the 'deluxe' category if you get a milkshake of it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

surely asking for ferrero rocher fudge in this thread is wall worthy?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jakabite posted:

Can you do it in March when it's my birthday and also I start my bulk cycle please. I loving love Toblerone. If you've ever thought about doing ferrero rocher, well, I wouldn't say no to that either. Or kinder bueno.

E: Basically anything that comes under the 'deluxe' category if you get a milkshake of it

The problem with Ferrero Rocher or other complicated sweets is that during the cooking they’d melt and break apart, losing all structural integrity. So you’d get little pieces of wafer, nuts etc in a chocolate fudge. Which would still be nice, but not totally sure how the texture would work out.

I’ll be pre making stock and putting it on the website rather than using the old pre-selling model, but I’ll make sure there’s a batch available in March for ya. :)

Edit: Take it from a lapsed posho. Ferrero rocher are /not/ classy. In fact the exact opposite.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Camrath posted:

Edit: Take it from a lapsed posho. Ferrero rocher are /not/ classy. In fact the exact opposite.

What about Viennetta? That's posh right? Roses?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

Yes I can, and yes I will. Assuming supplies of toblerone can still be obtained anyway.

Thanks mate! I'll be sure to order some :)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I dunno why viennetta is so cheap given how posh it is. which it is.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Camrath posted:

The problem with Ferrero Rocher or other complicated sweets is that during the cooking they’d melt and break apart, losing all structural integrity. So you’d get little pieces of wafer, nuts etc in a chocolate fudge. Which would still be nice, but not totally sure how the texture would work out.

I’ll be pre making stock and putting it on the website rather than using the old pre-selling model, but I’ll make sure there’s a batch available in March for ya. :)

The chocolate cream in the middle of a Ferrero Rocher is literally just Nutella, so you could quite easily make Nutella fudge, I imagine.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

stev posted:

What about Viennetta? That's posh right? Roses?

My mother (who though she would deny it, is or at least was a massive snob when I was growing up) despised Vienetta specifically because it tried to present itself as a posh food. Roses however were adored and asked for at every opportunity.

Tbf though she would tend to take against all sorts of things at random when I was a kid for similar reasons. When I was 4 the other kids at my private pre-prep would give me their old transformers because obviously I came from a poor household as I didn’t have any plastic toys. Oh, and apparently Sesame Street was evil and banned from our house..

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Camrath posted:

my private pre-prep

Good job you clarified it was private. lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

The chocolate cream in the middle of a Ferrero Rocher is literally just Nutella, so you could quite easily make Nutella fudge, I imagine.

The original Peanut Lion bars were effectively just 4 Rocher welded together but with peanuts instead of almonds and were god-tier chocolate. Now they're just a Lion Bar with a couple of extra peanuts and are terrible. I'm fairly sure the change came with the Nestle takeover, so that's another crime against humanity to lay at their door.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Convex posted:

Camrath can you make Toblerone fudge please :)

Seconded!!!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

forkboy84 posted:

We shat it. It's far too late to equivocate about climate change & hope people change their behaviour & use less power, we have to move to renewables now. Wind works & is a drat sight better than continued desertification of the Sahel regions leading to increased global food insecurity.

What do you mean by "Wind works"? Wind power generation is absolute dogshit, wind and solar combined are dogshit, we cannot power anything close to the demands of Western urban centres with renewables even if we include nuclear continuing at the current level which 1. is its own can of worms 2. isn't happening anway all those fuckers will be gone in the UK by 2030.

Even with the best will in the world we can't just 'move to renewables', even if we did a Total War level of national infrastructure clean energy investment we still couldn't 'move to renewables' and maintain anything close to our current level of power availability. Assuming no magical technologies emerge individual people living in rich countries reducing their power usage absolutely has to be part of the solution and that change is far more realistic a prospect than "wind works/renewables can save us".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

What do you mean by "Wind works"? Wind power generation is absolute dogshit

Wind provides the second or third largest percentage of our energy behind gas and nuclear.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vitamin P posted:

What do you mean by "Wind works"?

I mean every time you post I read it out loud & it generates 5GWh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Why would you ever bother with anything other than skittles milkshake?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Camrath posted:

Hell yeah, thanks! I basically just love nuts and chocolate together, I'm not actually fuzzy on the configuration. Looking forward to my first order!

RE: Wind power and renewables. I'd like to see what evidence you're basing that off Vit P, or at least your reasoning. This (https://assets.publishing.service.g...y_in_the_UK.pdf) seems to suggest that with wind has grown from just a few percent of our generation in 2010 to 20% in 2019 - is it really so unfeasible to increase wind power capacity 3 or 4 fold in the next 20 or so years? Even rising at the same rates as a proportion of generation as it has the last ten years, we'd still be looking at around 54% being generated by wind by 2040. I find your assertion that even with a Total War level of infrastructure investment we couldn't move to renewables baseless, unless you can provide some pretty compelling evidence?

E: Colourful milkshakes just do not appeal to me - I do not want to taste the rainbow when dairy is involved. Keep your hundreds of thousands ice cream too

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As I said, the whiskey and ginger was great, and I still want to try the Irish cream.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

My mother (who though she would deny it, is or at least was a massive snob when I was growing up) despised Vienetta specifically because it tried to present itself as a posh food. Roses however were adored and asked for at every opportunity.

Tbf though she would tend to take against all sorts of things at random when I was a kid for similar reasons. When I was 4 the other kids at my private pre-prep would give me their old transformers because obviously I came from a poor household as I didn’t have any plastic toys. Oh, and apparently Sesame Street was evil and banned from our house..

Hm.... did my parents secretly have another (much younger) family? Sounds like my folks - banning random tv shows (and even the tv entirely for several years), random toys, random foods.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

forkboy84 posted:

I mean every time you post I read it out loud & it generates 5GWh

This was under-appreciated.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It was 5 posts ago.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv
The big problem with wind generation is that it's variable - some days, you get 30-40% of our electricity days for it, and some days the country's becalmed and you get not very much power at all. Storage can iron out those bumps to a certain extent, but it's not massively great, as grid-scale batteries are really bloody expensive, and due to the nature of lithium-ion technology, the most economic batteries to build have a duration of about 60-90 minutes of discharging capacity before they need topping up again.

The scenario that will have National Grid really worried is a cold, calm spell during winter. We don't get any power from solar to meet the demand peak, and if there's not much wind, you start to challenge the ability of the remaining power stations to meet demand between 16:00 and 19:00. If things get truly bad and customer load has to be dropped in order to keep the electricity system up and running, we could see wholesale power prices hit £6,000/MWh - equivalent to a retail price of £6/unit compared to your usual 14-15p/unit. If this happens, you can expect to see a whole host of smaller electricity suppliers go bust in very short order.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
wow i just got called a leave voting tankie in qcs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno why viennetta is so cheap given how posh it is. which it is.

Vienetta is a bit funny in that some posh people I know like it as a cheap, plain ice-cream, when artisanal/homemade isn't an option, in the frugal posh kind of way, especially with fresh fruit

OTOH I've seen people hate Hagen Dazs with passion for being a pretentious, over-sweetened American ice-cream with a german-sounding name to seem posh.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wind and solar got a lot better in the last couple of decades and Britain is apparently not too poo poo at them, hence we keep breaking our record for days run without coal.

Endjinneer posted:

In darkest Somerset, there used to be a place where they'd tie pylons up and do all sorts of things to them...

Like, y'know, systematic full scale testing to identify complex modes of failure in an era before reliable computer analysis.

Saw one of these in Sarajevo, big spooky things they are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

wow i just got called a leave voting tankie in qcs
How does that work? Usually when Hungary goes fash the last thing that tankies want to do is leave.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This nice website shows where the National Grid gets its power on a day by day basis, going back a decade. You can see the pretty impressive rise in wind power over the last ten years, the near elimination of coal, gradual decline in nuclear, and a big jump in gas use in mid-2015 that continues to this day.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Last year seems particularly odd? Is this some weird covid thing?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
For four and a half years we were told that every time Labour didn't have a response ready within ten minutes of an event happening that it showed how terrible Corbyn was, how out of date and slow he was. They'd retweet whatever boiler plate nonsense the Lib Dems posted with phrases like "the real opposition". They'd suppress info on the right wing of Labour deliberately sabotaging communications and briefing against Corbyn to the press.

All for this. So that this flailing sweaty ham could gently caress up opposition to Boris Johnson going into a lockdown months late and not even call for better sick pay or provisions for rent arrears. This is the Labour party as they meant it to be. This is the kind of opposition they wanted. This is the Labour party fully operational.

They threw away your future for this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Last year seems particularly odd? Is this some weird covid thing?

Less normal and predictable energy demands, so probably.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I find the overall downward trend in energy demand over the years interesting (notwithstanding the 2020 uptick). I wonder what the reason for that is.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

For four and a half years we were told that every time Labour didn't have a response ready within ten minutes of an event happening that it showed how terrible Corbyn was, how out of date and slow he was. They'd retweet whatever boiler plate nonsense the Lib Dems posted with phrases like "the real opposition". They'd suppress info on the right wing of Labour deliberately sabotaging communications and briefing against Corbyn to the press.

All for this. So that this flailing sweaty ham could gently caress up opposition to Boris Johnson going into a lockdown months late and not even call for better sick pay or provisions for rent arrears. This is the Labour party as they meant it to be. This is the kind of opposition they wanted. This is the Labour party fully operational.

They threw away your future for this.

I know. It makes me feel a bit fking cross and wanna release my Inner Xena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTRZXTfY87U

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RDevz posted:

The big problem with wind generation is that it's variable - some days, you get 30-40% of our electricity days for it, and some days the country's becalmed and you get not very much power at all. Storage can iron out those bumps to a certain extent, but it's not massively great, as grid-scale batteries are really bloody expensive, and due to the nature of lithium-ion technology, the most economic batteries to build have a duration of about 60-90 minutes of discharging capacity before they need topping up again.

The scenario that will have National Grid really worried is a cold, calm spell during winter. We don't get any power from solar to meet the demand peak, and if there's not much wind, you start to challenge the ability of the remaining power stations to meet demand between 16:00 and 19:00. If things get truly bad and customer load has to be dropped in order to keep the electricity system up and running, we could see wholesale power prices hit £6,000/MWh - equivalent to a retail price of £6/unit compared to your usual 14-15p/unit. If this happens, you can expect to see a whole host of smaller electricity suppliers go bust in very short order.

Careful now, talk like this could get people thinking things like "Maybe the purpose of public utilities should be to provide them to everyone rather than put money in shareholder's pockets"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Maugrim posted:

I find the overall downward trend in energy demand over the years interesting (notwithstanding the 2020 uptick). I wonder what the reason for that is.

Well this is pic is the local river level (about 10m from my flat) over the past 3.5 years. There were two big patches of very heavy rain (and consequent increase in river level winter 19/20 and winter 20/21 - about 3 weeks ago the river rose 3m in 18 hours and was within 0.5m of busting over our garden back wall. Last Feb it was literally one hand span of busting over the wall and lots of other nearby places were completely flooded some homes up to 1m deep. (I'm dreading February).

So just as an anecdote, there was something different about the weather than in the previous few years (and I know from memory back to 2015 that nothing like the problems seen last year were evident in our locality). Plus of course the changed fuel usage from the dramatic change in lifestyles. Less industry more home.

Ed: And this time with the image

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Maugrim posted:

I mean I'm guessing but more efficient lighting, appliances, better insulation in homes, and rising awareness of energy use... plus (again guessing a bit) we're likely exporting a decent amount of our energy use to China - as we've shifted away from manufacturing, and instead buying stuff in from overseas, energy use is going to go down here but up where stuff is actually made - same goes for pollution etc.

The appliances thing - not only on a like-for-like basis (e.g. a 2020 washing machine is likely going to use less energy and water than a 1970 one) but some newer technologies are just more efficient inherently - induction hobs are something like 90-95% efficient in terms of energy going to heat in the pan (on a gas or conventional electric hob much more heat is wasted going around the sides of the pan - I believe gas is around 50% efficient), LED/LCD TVs are more efficient than CRTs (though they have gotten much bigger and I'm not sure how that pans out - if e.g. a 65" LED is more efficient than a 40" or so CRT), and of course LED lighting uses about 1/7th the energy of incandescent.

Oh and a big one is that boilers have gotten a lot more efficient. A condensing gas boiler can be up to 98% efficient if you believe the manufacturers (though apparently 91% or so is more realistic and common) whereas older non-condensing ones were 70-80% efficient.

Also Smart Meters maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That is a cool river, not sure about the blue spiky bits sticking out but the water looks pretty clear.