Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I do think the aerial assault section of the first episode this season recaptured some of the horror that the Titans brought in the first season.

You’re watching an army that just isn’t equipped for it trying to fight a horde of pure Titans. It’s a little different knowing that the Titans are all just regular people but it still gave me that stomach churning feeling watching some random soldier get chomped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The titans are still hella horrifying. The Titan drop was truly just a good mix of the original horror of the first seasons and shifting focus to themes of war.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Titans in the first 2 seasons definitely had that 'squirm in my guts' terror that stopped being a thing in season 3 after the protagonists moved on to facing human threats more and more. It's not that the Titans got less strong, they're just not the main threat anymore.

its because Man is the most terrifying of all species op

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
You guys seeing this thing about only a 16 episode season 🤔 hope they don't rush things

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
There's no way they can fit 48 chapters in 16 episodes, but I can see this as being 16 episodes Final Season Part 1 followed by 12 or so episodes Final Season Part 2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Surprisingly Dope posted:

You guys seeing this thing about only a 16 episode season 🤔 hope they don't rush things

There is going to be a part 2.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is it just me or is this show way better in every way now. Everything looks great and the direction pwns, and they’ve hit all the manga story beats flawlessly this season. I know it’s a new production team but drat. The absolutely schizophrenic editing in the Reiner flashback ep was soooo good.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rewatched episodes 14-17. There's a few parts where they clearly had to pad things out, but overall they were much better directed than the previous episodes. Looking forward to the remainder of this arc (minus one episode).

Watched Wall Sina, Goodbye and it was excellent. A few thoughts:
- Travel passes and government IDs should not be a surprise, but I believe this is the first I've seen of them.
- The impression I get from the scenes with Annie and her father is that her father trained her so they'd become honorary Marleyans, regardless of what she wanted. He was willing to sacrifice a healthy relationship and his health in order to get it, but he broke down when she was assigned to go to Paradis. Or maybe when he found out she'd have a predetermined lifespan. It's unclear, there's options.
- Those ending cards, oof.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think people are being way to harsh on the first studio. It's not just the animation, it's the cast, the voice acting, the script, the attention to detail, the pacing, the fact that you can rewatch it again and again and learn new things. They did a phenomenal job, and it's thanks to them AoT became a worldwide hit

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Rewatched episodes 14-17. There's a few parts where they clearly had to pad things out, but overall they were much better directed than the previous episodes. Looking forward to the remainder of this arc (minus one episode).

Watched Wall Sina, Goodbye and it was excellent. A few thoughts:
- Travel passes and government IDs should not be a surprise, but I believe this is the first I've seen of them.
- The impression I get from the scenes with Annie and her father is that her father trained her so they'd become honorary Marleyans, regardless of what she wanted. He was willing to sacrifice a healthy relationship and his health in order to get it, but he broke down when she was assigned to go to Paradis. Or maybe when he found out she'd have a predetermined lifespan. It's unclear, there's options.
- Those ending cards, oof.

I think he broke down because he realized that, even though she was initially a tool for his advancement, he really did love her as a daughter. And now he was sending her out to maybe die in the most feared country in the world.

Not the most pleasant experience.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I think he broke down because he realized that, even though she was initially a tool for his advancement, he really did love her as a daughter. And now he was sending her out to maybe die in the most feared country in the world.

Not the most pleasant experience.

Yeah, that's what I got, I'm just trying to figure out the timing because it's entirely ambiguous.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is going to be a part 2.

Or they’re gonna try for box office money since that Demon Slayer movie did so well

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They'd probably want to, but I'm not even sure that's possible. There's just no room for some kind of feature movie length side story that you could jury rig up, at least not one that fits with the post-basement themes of the manga. Every other artist's interpretation of the original conceit of the series has been pure fanfiction, leaning into the first season's lie that the setting is post-apocalyptic.

I don't know why Isayama allowed these spin-offs to occur, when he has been very willing to put his foot down on adapting past season 2 until more manga had been written. Maybe he was fine with letting other people play with his product and make their own money off him, while he considered the manga and anime the canon experience.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

They'd probably want to, but I'm not even sure that's possible. There's just no room for some kind of feature movie length side story that you could jury rig up, at least not one that fits with the post-basement themes of the manga. Every other artist's interpretation of the original conceit of the series has been pure fanfiction, leaning into the first season's lie that the setting is post-apocalyptic.

I don't know why Isayama allowed these spin-offs to occur, when he has been very willing to put his foot down on adapting past season 2 until more manga had been written. Maybe he was fine with letting other people play with his product and make their own money off him, while he considered the manga and anime the canon experience.

I think the idea being discussed there would be having the last arc of the manga as a movie. Not adapting a sidestory.

(And I think some aspects from Annie and Levi's sidestories have appeared in the main story, even though they weren't written by Isayama directly)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah uh the Demon Slayer movie made best selling anime movie of all time because it's literally the next story arc after season 1 of the tv series

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
But is a movie of the final arc even marketable? Because the themes have diverged so far from the original premise, and entered some seriously weighty territory, and is emotionally exhausting, and so lacks catharsis, that it's not something you can just put out there to get asses in cinema seats.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You could wrap up, like what, 4 chapters in a movie? Not 20. Movie is a terrible idea.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The standard rate is like 1.5 chapters per ~20 minute episode, right? Could do like 10 chapters in a longish movie probably.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Could always make multiple movies :v:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
2 movies could easily finish it if the anime leaves off where I think it will. 1 could maaaybe adapt 10 chapters, but they need at least 15. A Part 2 is the best option, followed by 2 movies, followed by 1 movie, followed by oh god please don't try to do the whole thing in 16 episodes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like if they were doing the whole thing in 16 episodes you'd already be able to feel the pacing strain.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuxXY1m5lK0&ab_channel=Tafioboy

the youtube algorithm is radicalizing me

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They are going to split season 4 into 2 parts like with season 3. Don't worry.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i feel like the series is going to end on a movie you cant watch for 3 years unless you speak japanese and go to japan (miss doing this for like 50 bucks whenever i wanted pre-covid), because that is the most attack on titan way to end it.

eren yeager's final plan of revenge

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

proper two part final season, no movie

please

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

But is a movie of the final arc even marketable? Because the themes have diverged so far from the original premise, and entered some seriously weighty territory, and is emotionally exhausting, and so lacks catharsis, that it's not something you can just put out there to get asses in cinema seats.

End of Evangelion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Besides Demon Slayer there's a fair amount of anime in the past few years that have adapted parts of the story in movie format so there's no reason it couldn't happen with Attack on Titan. And hell, something with the resources that a movie production allows would be a great way to give it a hell of an ending.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
The problem is that movies tend to take years to make and aot already had a huge drop in viewership due to the years long gap between seasons

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Calling it "The Final Season" so overtly makes me think there's no way they could get away with ending it on a cliffhanger and finishing it with a movie. That would be a pretty dick move imo.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Eustace posted:

The problem is that movies tend to take years to make and aot already had a huge drop in viewership due to the years long gap between seasons

the four year wait and time to reflect that actually season 1 of aot was not great completely blew the series hype load and then it recovered to be the biggest not-demon slayer property alive anyway so i can't imagine thats a huge concern for them by now

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

the four year wait and time to reflect that actually season 1 of aot was not great completely blew the series hype load and then it recovered to be the biggest not-demon slayer property alive anyway so i can't imagine thats a huge concern for them by now

I guess Im projecting what happened to me with gundam unicorn that by the time the movie came out I had no idea who anybody was or what was happening so I lost interest

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Calling it "The Final Season" so overtly makes me think there's no way they could get away with ending it on a cliffhanger and finishing it with a movie. That would be a pretty dick move imo.

I’d prefer to wait for a movie to do the ending right than have the series get bogged down in production constraints and fumble it as happens to a lot of anime, especially adaptations. Previous seasons of aot, jojo part 3, Evangelion to name a few.

Plus the name final season is such a perfect loop hole.

But if it works out it works out. I just want it to be good, and definitive.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
a movie would be pretty sick tho....

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

End of Evangelion.
Starting to really like the idea of this film

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-01-04/attack-on-titan-manga-ends-on-april-9-after-11-years/.168113

Manga confirmed to end in April with Chapter 139.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So if it's 2 chapters per episode, where does it place the eventual episode count?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

So if it's 2 chapters per episode, where does it place the eventual episode count?

25-ish.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If the final season is split into two parts, and the second part is like 10 eps, I feel like that'll give the production staff the time and energy they need to really knock it out of the park.

gently caress I wish this show was airing friday and not sundays. It's very perverse to look forward to a sunday this much.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Part one with 16 episodes, ending in March. Part two with ten episodes starting in August/September seems about right. 10 episodes would actually give them a tiny bit more breathing room to not cut as much content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/attack-on-titan-final-season-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

Humble Bundle doing a volume 1-26 + extra material bundle