Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I first heard of "Bread and dripping" from the character Sergeant Jackrum in Terry Pratchett's "Monstrous Regiment". Bread and dripping is just bread, possibly toasted, slathered with pork or beef fat and seasoned with salt and pepper. The character loved it and thought of it as the best comfort food imaginable.

Edit : Hell yeah Pratchett snipe

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Thumposaurus posted:

Before covid at work there would be breakfast buffets we'd have to prepare.
They'd put slices of toast in the bottom of the hotel pans that the bacon went into people would nearly get into fights to get that fat toast.

:gonk:

I've seen that toast at buffets (eastern PA & New Jersey). Never, ever occurred to me to fish it out & eat it.

I love bacon grease, properly applied. The idea of biting into toast and...ugh.

(edit) one of my roomates in college talked about how his grandfather, who hailed from West Virginia and was a combat veteran of WWI, considered lard sandwiches his favorite meal.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 5, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Judging by how lovingly he described beef dripping sandwiches in Guards! Guards!, I'm assuming Sir Terry was intimately familiar with the form.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Washington DC!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

PinheadSlim posted:

I first heard of "Bread and dripping" from the character Sergeant Jackrum in Terry Pratchett's "Monstrous Regiment". Bread and dripping is just bread, possibly toasted, slathered with pork or beef fat and seasoned with salt and pepper. The character loved it and thought of it as the best comfort food imaginable.

I remember a married guy complaining to Nobby and Carrot (Both bachelors at the time) that he'd been given beef dripping sandwiches by his wife because she was too busy with celebrations for the new Dragon King, only to be met with these replies:

"Cor!"

"Real Beef Dripping!?"

They then spent half the page gushing over it, occasionally being prodded by Colon not to mention things with King in them (Meal fit for a King, a King's ransom, etc).

I miss Sir Terry.

e: loving damnit Memento :argh:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thomamelas posted:

That press with the red and black balls. It looks like it belongs in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I can picture it slapping Daffy in the head.

It's called a fly press and there's at least one goon in DIY who's built their own

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

It's called a fly press and there's at least one goon in DIY who's built their own

Did the guy operating it have a fake thumb or was that PPE?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WarpedNaba posted:

I miss Sir Terry.

:(:hf::(

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

:gonk:

I've seen that toast at buffets (eastern PA & New Jersey). Never, ever occurred to me to fish it out & eat it.

I love bacon grease, properly applied. The idea of biting into toast and...ugh.

(edit) one of my roomates in college talked about how his grandfather, who hailed from West Virginia and was a combat veteran of WWI, considered lard sandwiches his favorite meal.

^^^^ That guy was a real man, if he wants a goddam lard sandwich he can have one.

I've seen the fat absorbent toast at a buffet too. I was a kid, and ate a piece of it one time. I think I liked it, and when I went up for another helping of greasy rear end bacon and absorbent toast, my dad was there and he was all like "don't eat that poo poo". I asked why, and he told me why. I was kinda horrified with myself after that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sir Terry’s last act was pretty OSHA, he requested that the hard disk with his unfinished work be smashed by a steam roller

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"Lord Jericho" is a hell of a name.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Who would have thought that the sort of thing that degenerate society (rednecks) love seeing today, is no different than a hundred years ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_at_Crush

Highlights:

a staged train wreck as a public spectacle.

the deliberate head-on collision of two unmanned locomotives at high speed; unexpectedly, the impact caused both engine boilers to explode, resulting in a shower of flying debris that killed two people and caused numerous injuries among the spectators.

The crash was delayed for an hour because the crowd resisted being pressed back by the police to what was supposedly a safe distance.

Debris was blown hundreds of feet into the air. Panic quickly broke out as the crowd turned and ran. Some of the debris came down among the spectators, killing two and seriously injuring at least six others. A photographer, Jarvis "Joe" Deane of Waco, lost one eye to a flying bolt.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PinheadSlim posted:

That sounds like a local dish as well, it's common to fry pork belly slices and the drippings are used to dip bread in, usually rye bread. Very traditional old timey food. So drat good.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

wesleywillis posted:

Who would have thought that the sort of thing that degenerate society (rednecks) love seeing today, is no different than a hundred years ago?

I guess we're all degenerate rednecks then

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

KozmoNaut posted:

I've been watching a lot of British Pathé videos lately and most of the ones showing industrial or manual work have the most amazing mid-1900s complete lack of regard for safety or ergonomics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBVDugUUMeY

(I'm sure plenty have already been posted in this and previous threads, there's so much great content on their channel)

I love the margarine one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWwhX-8-MsE

Aside from dudes rolling around giant tubs of margarine in a factory setting without any food safety, the sources of the oil certainly are interesting.

(I found this one while wondering why there's no margarine any more, just "table spread". Interestingly, to legally be margarine, a spread requires a minimum 80% fat (at least, in Australia) and most have much less these days.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BMan posted:

I guess we're all degenerate rednecks then

i was gonna say, who doesn't like seeing a thousand tons of metal smash into a thousand tons of metal at 100km/h?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Fur20 posted:

i was gonna say, who doesn't like seeing a thousand tons of metal smash into a thousand tons of metal at 100km/h?

The guy who took this picture lost an eye to a flying bolt seconds later. I'm not sure if it was this one or another where both boilers exploded and killed 3 people.

Atomic Accidents opens with a great chapter about these crashes.

e: it was that crash:

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 5, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The toaster oven chat from earlier made me remember when we had a toaster oven when I was a kid, and the most distinct memory of it that I have is that it absolutely sucked at toasting bread. The cheap-rear end toaster we had at the time was much better. And, I just realized, I still have that ancient loving toaster and it STILL works fine. Thing must around 40 years old at this point and still going strong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo he was really close.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Toasters are generally better at getting crispy outsides and fluffy insides, but with a toaster oven you can butter your bagel before you toast it. The butter browns as the bagel toasts and it tastes loving killer.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The guy who took this picture lost an eye to a flying bolt seconds later. I'm not sure if it was this one or another where both boilers exploded and killed 3 people.

why did they do all these train crashes, like why waste engines and cars, it's strange they were willing to do this poo poo for spectacle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

why did they do all these train crashes, like why waste engines and cars, it's strange they were willing to do this poo poo for spectacle.

People did a lot of strange stuff before the internet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LifeSunDeath posted:

The sentence that says more crashes happened has a [citation needed] so who knows if there really were more.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LifeSunDeath posted:

According to the wikipedia article they were extremely effective ad campaigns. And most people would need to take a train just to go see the event, and they'd make a lot of money on those ticket sales even at their reduced rates for the event. It's also implied that it was difficult to find buyers for the old surplus steam engines that the railroad company was replacing.

Basically it was a quick way to kill two birds with one stone, those two birds being offloading unwanted old trains and advertising.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

quote:

Crush was promptly fired, only to be rehired when managers at the Katy realized how successful the stunt had been in terms of publicity.

:lol:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Lone Badger posted:

People did a lot of strange stuff before the internet.

Thank christ everything is so normal and boring now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

According to the wikipedia article they were extremely effective ad campaigns. And most people would need to take a train just to go see the event, and they'd make a lot of money on those ticket sales even at their reduced rates for the event. It's also implied that it was difficult to find buyers for the old surplus steam engines that the railroad company was replacing.

Basically it was a quick way to kill two birds with one stone, those two birds being offloading unwanted old trains and advertising.

Yeah, it said explicitly that they were upgrading to 60-ton locomotives so the old 30-ton locomotives were just sitting around doing nothing anyway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PainterofCrap posted:

Thank christ everything is so normal and boring now.

Well it's just that the trainwrecks are all online now instead of in real life

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo he was really close.

It’s a good composition, but I think that the lenses available at the time basically forced him into it. The telephoto lens was invented only five years before, and photographic emulsions were slow as balls.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uncle Enzo posted:

I am not, however, the casually sexually harassing camerawork and narration

There is some real-rear end casual misogyny going on in a lot of those videos, like the tent that's "so easy, even a woman could do it" and the general "women in the kitchen" attitude.

Not to mention the "those inscrutable youths and their long hair and wild behavior and no discipline" thing.

The diet video that's sponsored by the national milk board is wild too, plenty of talk about "normal weight" and "fat unattractive girls" and how to attract men. Cut down on the meat, but remember to eat plenty of butter and cheese!

Elissimpark posted:

Aside from dudes rolling around giant tubs of margarine in a factory setting without any food safety, the sources of the oil certainly are interesting.

It's even mentioned in an episode on whaling that the oil was considered for other purposes, but people found the smell offensive, so they used it for margarine :v:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 5, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

British Pathe videos are fantastic sources of OSHA, misogyny, and a fascinating window into old British culture. Here's a couple that are less offensive and more hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRsFFB0VN-o (False beard making, which was apparently popular enough for the manufacturer to have a 4 month waiting list)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBVY1oP5NmM (A cafe where the guy making food is a former professional wrestler who does magic tricks and breathes fire to impress teens)

But for a more OSHA flavor check out the one on swordmaking. Lol when they sharpen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtpMAUf65UQ

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 5, 2021

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

e: it was that crash:

Sounds like someone....

... caught the Katy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“dipped several times into whale oil”

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Platystemon posted:

“dipped several times into whale oil”

then molten lead, which is wiped off bare-handed

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oh hey my pep-pep got a souvenir from a train crash demonstration

he said the kid wasn't using it any more.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

"Theres perfection at every stage" *dumps molten brass all over the place*

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They also just grind an edge onto a square bar, which gives you terrible blade geometry.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh hey my pep-pep got a souvenir from a train crash demonstration

he said the kid wasn't using it any more.

Is that new bone growth over a spike through a skull?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Boiled Water posted:

Is that new bone growth over a spike through a skull?

looking at this colour version I think its just a circle of flaked / spalled bone around the impact point?

https://www.reddit.com/user/Diss6783/comments/9tdpyv/a_roman_era_skull_found_impaled_with_a_large/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

PinheadSlim posted:

"Lord Jericho" is a hell of a name.

This reminded me of something I got to see a few months ago, “Big Lizzie”

The wicked looking wheels are pre-caterpillar track wheels the owner invented and are called dreadnaught wheels, which is pretty fitting for the vehicle as it was claimed it was the largest tractor in the world at the time. On the front platform you can see the anvil, they could have a blacksmith at work up there with anvil and forge, doing repairs while working. For work they mostly used her for land clearing, a gang of men attached cables to trees would clear up to 50 acres a day or carry 900 bags of wheat.

Specifications
Prime Mover – 10.36 metres long, 3.35m wide, 5.49m high.
Weight – 45 tonnes payload 10 tonnes.
Turning Circle – 61 metres.
Trailers(2) – 9m long, 3m wide, 2.13m high.
Payload – 35 tonnes each.

Mechanical Details
Power Unit 44.74 kw (60 hp) Blackstone water cooled single cylinder crude oil engine.
Bore, 228 mm, Stroke, 450 mm, 215 RPM.
Single flywheel, 2.13 m diameter, Weight 3 tonnes.
Gear Box 3.15m long, 1.37m deep, 0.91m wide.
Oil Capacity 430 Litres.
4 forward speeds 3.2, 2.4, 1.6, 0.8 km/h.
2 reverse speeds 0.8, and 0.4 km/h.
Crude Oil 19,800 litres.
General purpose water 3,400 litres.
Drinking water 1,000 litres.