Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Froist posted:

Are you “nnt” on Discord, or the second person I’ve seen today with a bust power button?

Yea, that was me. It looks like it was a faulty button that busted open, not the result of an impact during shipping.

I figure return shipping would cost too much to be worth it, so I’m weighing my options and ethics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Never do returns with ali sellers, always open with a full refund

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Froist posted:

I got my RG351P this weekend, though it's my first "decent" one of these handhelds so I don't have much to compare against (I have a PowKiddy V90 but that was cheap enough to think of as a toy). The build quality is really great, if it didn't have the Anbernic logo below the screen you could easily believe it to be a first-party Nintendo device.

GBA games look predictably amazing, with the screen resolution/aspect ratio being perfect for it. Genesis and SNES era consoles look good with the RGA scaling, but there's the slight lack of perfect sharpness you'd get with integer scaling. PSX runs well for the games I've played, N64 and Dreamcast are really hit and miss in some unexpected ways. E.g. Pilotwings 64, all the menus are stuttery but the gameplay is fine.

It seems like a hive of activity right now with multiple custom OS images in development, a bit hard to keep track of. Spending more time setting the thing up than playing with it right now. Overall I'm really happy with it, would just like to get past the OCD curation stage and onto playing games.

Lol I bought one of these on Amazon the other day and jumped straight into playing with it. But I have a three-week-old baby so not a ton of time/mental energy for fiddling with it. I may give that Arkos thing a try at some point, but for now am pretty happy with the included ROMs.

(Also I haven't owned a console since a lovely NES clone we had growing up, so pretty much everything on there is new to me anyway.)

One thing: Amazon didn't have the version with the included wifi dongle. I didn't want to wait two months (and pay customs) for the AliExpress version. What are the benefits to having wifi on this, and is there a list of compatible cards somewhere?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

One thing: Amazon didn't have the version with the included wifi dongle. I didn't want to wait two months (and pay customs) for the AliExpress version. What are the benefits to having wifi on this, and is there a list of compatible cards somewhere?

You're not missing out on much honestly:
  • With ArkOS you can do online updates to the OS
  • Wirelessly copy ROMs/themes, rather than taking the card out (I still just move the card)
  • RetroAchievements (apparently, I've not tried this)
  • Emulator updates (never needed this)
  • Cheat database updates (I think? also never tried this)
  • If you're really nerdy, SSH into it and edit config files straight on the device (ok guilty)

Mine similarly came without one, but I already had a USB-C adapter for my laptop so I grabbed a wifi dongle from Amazon for the sake of £5. Previously I'd been thinking about modding the wifi internally but it's really not worth the effort to me. This is the one I bought, or there's a list of compatible devices here - mine isn't on it but I'd seen enough people mention that it's supported.

Also the reason it doesn't have internal wifi (beyond the first batch) is that the speaker wiring isn't insulated, so the speaker crackles quietly whenever the wifi is busy. It's nowhere near as grating as I'd imagined but is noticeable, so being able to unplug the dongle when I don't need it is ideal really.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Froist posted:

You're not missing out on much honestly:
  • With ArkOS you can do online updates to the OS
  • Wirelessly copy ROMs/themes, rather than taking the card out (I still just move the card)
  • RetroAchievements (apparently, I've not tried this)
  • Emulator updates (never needed this)
  • Cheat database updates (I think? also never tried this)
  • If you're really nerdy, SSH into it and edit config files straight on the device (ok guilty)

Mine similarly came without one, but I already had a USB-C adapter for my laptop so I grabbed a wifi dongle from Amazon for the sake of £5. Previously I'd been thinking about modding the wifi internally but it's really not worth the effort to me. This is the one I bought, or there's a list of compatible devices here - mine isn't on it but I'd seen enough people mention that it's supported.

Also the reason it doesn't have internal wifi (beyond the first batch) is that the speaker wiring isn't insulated, so the speaker crackles quietly whenever the wifi is busy. It's nowhere near as grating as I'd imagined but is noticeable, so being able to unplug the dongle when I don't need it is ideal really.

Thanks!

Haha SSHing in does kinda appeal, but I imagine the config files could also just be edited directly by plugging the SD card into my laptop.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
ArkOS is pretty cool. The only thing I’ve used my wifi dongle for is scraping game art, but if you’re just using the included roms, I guess that’s not a big deal.

I’d just pay the $1.50 on Aliexpress to randomly get a dongle and OTG adapter in the mail someday. I’ve ordered hundreds of Ali epackets in the course of 3D printer building and never had to pay customs in the US.

“mt7601u” is the recommended wifi chip.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I’m glad someone made a thread about this because I’ve been on the fence about buying a raspberry pi for a while. Is there a better way to play (hopefully preloaded) games up to PSX on my TV? Need some big screen Chrono Trigger in my life.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I’m glad someone made a thread about this because I’ve been on the fence about buying a raspberry pi for a while. Is there a better way to play (hopefully preloaded) games up to PSX on my TV? Need some big screen Chrono Trigger in my life.

RetroPi is a very good option. There’s plenty of easy tutorials and you can be running from a nice polished interface relatively cheap.

It won’t be preloaded with roms, but they’re not hard to find.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Honestly, a new Chromecast works really well. I think you can only get them from Google (doesn't seem to be on USA Amazon) but shipping was almost Amazon-fast for me. It does require a usb-c hub for any external storage (which is required as it only has 8GB onboard) and a ~30W PD usb-c power supply for some reason, so that brings the cost up quite a bit vs a Chromecast alone. Mine runs well with an Aukey 65W dual output supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNQ5ceYZMI

The new Pi 400 looks pretty slick, that youtube channel has multiple vids on using it or the Pi 4 for emulation. The Pi 4 and Pi 400 have a little more power than a Chromecast, as they can do GameCube and I believe the Chromecast cannot.

E: and as mentioned above, RetroPi has a super nice interface, certainly cleaner than the chromecastOS and RetroArch.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 1, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Retroid Pocket 2 has HDMI out and Bluetooth, so it’s sort of a bootleg Switch you can run on your tv.

It comes preloaded with a front end that has games on it but it’s typically recommended to just use Retroid (preloaded) and your own roms.

They also have wicked awesome new colors they’ve dubbed “funtastic”.

Aside from that, Pi stuff is really cool and looks like fun to tinker with, I want one someday.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh man, I didn't notice this thread. A YouTuber, Taki Udon does a bunch of reviews on these types of devices.

Here's his latest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_7C2nOU3e8

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My RP2 shipped on Sunday, its coming to the western edge of Europe so God know's if my shipping times are gonna be comparable to anyone itt. I'm looking forward to trying PSX stuff on it because my RG300 was really hit or miss when it came to it. The RG300 also had a micro sd that would randomly decide it was write protected so putting things on it was hard after a while which is a shame because there's been a lot of work being done on new indie games for both NES and Gameboy in the last 12 months or so and I'd be stuck trying to get it to unfuck itself

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Science Goy posted:

Honestly, a new Chromecast works really well. I think you can only get them from Google (doesn't seem to be on USA Amazon) but shipping was almost Amazon-fast for me. It does require a usb-c hub for any external storage (which is required as it only has 8GB onboard) and a ~30W PD usb-c power supply for some reason, so that brings the cost up quite a bit vs a Chromecast alone. Mine runs well with an Aukey 65W dual output supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNQ5ceYZMI

The new Pi 400 looks pretty slick, that youtube channel has multiple vids on using it or the Pi 4 for emulation. The Pi 4 and Pi 400 have a little more power than a Chromecast, as they can do GameCube and I believe the Chromecast cannot.

E: and as mentioned above, RetroPi has a super nice interface, certainly cleaner than the chromecastOS and RetroArch.

Oh drat, I gotta try this

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Are there any of these things that do Sega Saturn out of the box?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ordered an rp2 on black friday, got here on monday, so that's what, two and a half weeks? pretty good i think from some of the stories i've read

haven't futzed around with it too much; honestly not really sure where to get started or if i even need to install anything else because it might be fine

does anyone know if the android 8.1 update is stable or not?

VideoTapir posted:

Are there any of these things that do Sega Saturn out of the box?

not without dropping a few hundred on something with the equivalent processing power of a netbook, unfortunately

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I ended up going with one of these:

Super satisfied with the plug and play setup, but the wireless PS style controllers suck goatballs. I think I’m gonna have to get some with cords.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

ordered an rp2 on black friday, got here on monday, so that's what, two and a half weeks? pretty good i think from some of the stories i've read

haven't futzed around with it too much; honestly not really sure where to get started or if i even need to install anything else because it might be fine

does anyone know if the android 8.1 update is stable or not?

I ordered one in the Ice colorway on Dec 5th that arrived today via DHL, so it looks like they've got their shipping/production issues sorted out.

Judging from posts on the retroid subreddit and their discord, an OTA update to Android 8.1 was offered briefly in October, but was removed because it was unstable/buggy. You can find update files and instructions on the retroid subreddit's discord if you want to update manually.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Don't bother with 8.1 yet, it's poo poo and unstable and less enjoyable right now. Their software team is working on it full time (the 6.0 updates are complete, no additional work will be done for 6.0) but there's no new release candidate yet.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I cannot for the life of me figure out this controller configuration. Works great in the menus and SNES games but try to play an N64 game and the second controller shits the bed despite being configured exactly the same as the first one. Urrrrghhh am I gonna have to learn a bunch of poo poo?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anyone happen to have an easy guide or whatever to set a dedicated speedup button for Retroid P2 emulation? My patience has been eroded for how slow some of these old tactics games go.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Got Half Life and 60FPS Super Mario 64 port on my 351p, very nice

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

bowmore posted:

Got Half Life and 60FPS Super Mario 64 port on my 351p, very nice

Mario 64 is awesome on this thing. I installed Half Life for the novelty too but haven't actually played it beyond the intro sequence. It feels like new ports are coming out every day, it's hard to keep track of everything you can run on this now..

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I've been wanting a device like this so I started looking at the Retroid Pocket 2, which lead to the RG350M and RG351P. Of the three I was initially leaning toward the 350M since it seems like it has great build quality, but I am interested really in whichever one performs best. Had read that maybe there is a bit of input lag on the RP2, have any of you guys experienced that?

Also does the 351P handle PSX emulation any better than the 350M? Appreciate the help.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meridian posted:

does the 351P handle PSX emulation any better than the 350M? Appreciate the help.
They are pretty similar, the 351p will perform better BUT the 350M is in the correct aspect ratio and has a better build quality.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I weighed all those options and went with the 351p. Very happy with it, and the build quality feels very good. Almost nintendo-like in hand.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

They both look great honestly. I was going to go with the RP2 for the layout alone until someone mentioned android having input lag issues. Don't know how true that is, was some rando on reddit.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I haven't played extensively on my RP2, but I've done a dozen or two different games and never had noticeable input lag using android :shrug:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They were probably talking about the laggy menus, because the android interface is highly unoptimized. That doesn't mean the emulators are. It is funny that the RP2 comes with a custom system settings menu that allows you to do things like disable android multitasking, but I guess it needs that option.

Both the 351p and the RP2 are significantly more powerful than the aging 350m, which tries to command a price premium it doesn't deserve just for being metal. And if you like the idea of the 350m's 640x480 pixel screen, the RP2 has it. Meanwhile the 351p and 351m only have a 480x320 screen but that makes it perfect for GBA games, if less ideal for others.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rp2 emulation runs fine, the menus can be a little laggy

the only thing i’ve had trouble fine tuning is dreamcast emulation; anything 2d runs fine and i can even get some 3d games working but there are a few (soul calibur especially but also psychic force 2012) that have severe graphical glitches and occasional performance issues

psx and n64 both run great on it though, haven’t found something it won’t run and that’s a lot of games. the gba emu also works pretty well

overall pretty happy with it

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Appreciate the input. I think I will primarily be playing SNES/GBA games, but there are a lot of PSX titles I want to go back and play, so the PSX performance is probably the deciding factor.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve noticed 0 input lag on my RP2 and outside of the initial learning curve it’s been amazing.

Build quality and performance have been exactly what I was wishing it would be.

Edit: more specific to your current post, I got mine specifically for GBA, SNES AND PSX. GBA took me finding a Retroarch core that it agreed with but both SNES and PSX didn’t take any work to run perfect.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 5, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The RP2 comes with an entire second (older) installation of Retroarch with only a single GBA core installed in order to run GBA games fine. It's kind of weird but they're expecting you to set up DIG and just launch everything through it I think so that makes sense.

You can also install any GBA emulator you want from the Play Store.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

I’ve noticed 0 input lag on my RP2 and outside of the initial learning curve it’s been amazing.

Build quality and performance have been exactly what I was wishing it would be.

Edit: more specific to your current post, I got mine specifically for GBA, SNES AND PSX. GBA took me finding a Retroarch core that it agreed with but both SNES and PSX didn’t take any work to run perfect.

Same here for me (though I've not tried any gba)

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Meridian posted:

Appreciate the input. I think I will primarily be playing SNES/GBA games, but there are a lot of PSX titles I want to go back and play, so the PSX performance is probably the deciding factor.

I've been playing nothing but PSX games on my RP2 for about three weeks without any noticeable input lag or framerate problems.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Bought and returned an RG280V. Liked it, but it had a bad USB port.

I really liked it for the portability. It's a bit uncomfortable if I put my hands in the position that seems most intuitive, but if I hold it more with the ends of the fingers it's okay. I was replaying Genesis stuff, with a really tiny screen size because it was not using scaling, but it was adequate.

It wasn't nearly as intuitive or trouble-free as I was expecting given reviews, even without the charging port issue. I suspect it's due to reviewers using these things all the time and therefore being used to it. Not that it's hard to get going, but there isn't a total lack of learning curve. Battery life was excellent (which is how I got so much time in before failing to charge it). There was a weird flaw in the surface of the screen which wasn't really visible while playing. Looked like an oil smudge over one quadrant.

The screen resolution did prove an issue on some emulators with some settings. At that screen size it looks alright, but I did find myself pining for the scaling options I had on my phone. It's less of a pain in the rear end than retroarch (the current version of which consistently crashes on my phone, so eff that noise), so I guess I can forgive a lot.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

I've been playing nothing but PSX games on my RP2 for about three weeks without any noticeable input lag or framerate problems.

What have you been playing lately out of curiosity? Portable Metal Gear Solid seems worth the price of admission.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Meridian posted:

They both look great honestly. I was going to go with the RP2 for the layout alone until someone mentioned android having input lag issues. Don't know how true that is, was some rando on reddit.

I'm a bit of an outlier here, but I initially picked up an RP2 and couldn't deal with the input lag in games. Any twitchy platformers (Mario, Mega Man, etc.), especially 2D, felt off to me in a way I couldn't ignore. It's really minor, but I couldn't unfeel it. That said, outside of the laggy Android OS and a so-so out of the box user experience, it's a good handheld. I ultimately went with the 351P which feels way better and is easy to set up immediately. I think Anbernic just dropped the 351M if you really want metal, but I believe the screen res and everything else is the same as the as the 351P. I'd recommend ordering from somewhere you can easily make returns to try both the RP2 and the 351P and see which works better for you.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

roobots posted:

I'm a bit of an outlier here, but I initially picked up an RP2 and couldn't deal with the input lag in games. Any twitchy platformers (Mario, Mega Man, etc.), especially 2D, felt off to me in a way I couldn't ignore. It's really minor, but I couldn't unfeel it. That said, outside of the laggy Android OS and a so-so out of the box user experience, it's a good handheld. I ultimately went with the 351P which feels way better and is easy to set up immediately. I think Anbernic just dropped the 351M if you really want metal, but I believe the screen res and everything else is the same as the as the 351P. I'd recommend ordering from somewhere you can easily make returns to try both the RP2 and the 351P and see which works better for you.

That's exactly what I needed to know, because like you I would definitely notice it. drat it, where's the perfect machine? Always six months out.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Meridian posted:

I’m surprised by the number of RP2 owners who’ve replied to you - not that I have any experience of it but I had the impression it was more niche than the Anbernic devices.

I only have a 351P so that’s all I can comment on, but:
  • GBA is perfect with exact 2x scaling.
  • SNES runs fine. The screen res means you can’t get perfect scaling, but the RGA scaling looks ok. This part is also true for most other pre-PSX era consoles.
  • PSX runs everything I’ve tried (MGS, Crash, Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer series) fine and scaling is less of an issue with 3D graphics.
  • Saturn is a flat-out “no” :(
  • N64 is hit and miss - sometimes one emulator is better than others for a given game, but there’s no magic bullet. There is a native version of Mario64 though that’s incredible.
  • Dreamcast is similarly hit and miss depending on the game, but on the whole better than N64.

I don’t have experience with the 350M, but have heard that the PSX experience isn’t as clear-cut as it is on the 351. On the other hand the aspect ratio is better suited for SNES. But at this point it seems dated and all the dev effort seems to be going into the 351 series.

If you’re between the RG350M and RG351P with GBA and PSX in your priorities, I’d definitely go for the 351. There’s the brand new RG351M too, but the only changes are a metal (so heavier) case and built-in WiFi that apparently works this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Froist posted:

I’m surprised by the number of RP2 owners who’ve replied to you - not that I have any experience of it but I had the impression it was more niche than the Anbernic devices.

I only have a 351P so that’s all I can comment on, but:
  • GBA is perfect with exact 2x scaling.
  • SNES runs fine. The screen res means you can’t get perfect scaling, but the RGA scaling looks ok. This part is also true for most other pre-PSX era consoles.
  • PSX runs everything I’ve tried (MGS, Crash, Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer series) fine and scaling is less of an issue with 3D graphics.
  • Saturn is a flat-out “no” :(
  • N64 is hit and miss - sometimes one emulator is better than others for a given game, but there’s no magic bullet. There is a native version of Mario64 though that’s incredible.
  • Dreamcast is similarly hit and miss depending on the game, but on the whole better than N64.

I don’t have experience with the 350M, but have heard that the PSX experience isn’t as clear-cut as it is on the 351. On the other hand the aspect ratio is better suited for SNES. But at this point it seems dated and all the dev effort seems to be going into the 351 series.

If you’re between the RG350M and RG351P with GBA and PSX in your priorities, I’d definitely go for the 351. There’s the brand new RG351M too, but the only changes are a metal (so heavier) case and built-in WiFi that apparently works this time.

After the small amount of research I have done after posting, the 351P sounds dope, but I'm sad that it doesn't have HDMI out and suddenly that seems cool and important. The screen too is a pretty big deal. Stretching isn't really that big a deal though.