Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Gats Akimbo posted:

:same:

The new dress-up sets of armour are actually useful when you're still underpowered, but if you leave them till the end you'll have far better stuff already.

You can't do the Champion's Ballad until you've beaten all the divine beasts, but the Trial of the Sword opens up once you get the Master Sword and again, the reward's much more worth having early on.

I didn't play past the plateau until all the DLC was out and ended up naturally getting the Master Cycle before the Master Sword. Master Cycle during the final Beast Ganon is totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Since I'm mostly done with AoC I decided to do something I tried but failed at years ago: a Minimalist run of Link to the Past, where I only get items required to beat the game. Last time I tried I hit a massive brick wall at Kholdstare, and since I was playing it on an actual SNES a death meant going all the way back to the start of the Ice Palace.

Fortunately I've already made it past Kholdstare since I'm playing the Switch version and I created a save point outside the boss room. It still took a bunch of tries but I eventually got it, I feel like playing a lot of Z3R has helped me get a little better at execution. However I'm still not sure how I'm going to get past Trinexx without half magic or any bottles, and then Ganon with green jerkin and only 13 hearts with no bottles is going to be a nightmare.

I am using two items that I guess makes it not a "true" minimalist run, which is the Mirror Shield and Silver Arrows. I know from Z3R that Silver Arrows aren't technically needed to defeat Ganon since well timed spin attacks can harm him, but that's obviously not intended behavior so I feel it's okay to get them. Same with the Mirror Shield, I know you can technically dash past the eye lasers on the bridge in Turtle Rock and so the shield isn't actually necessary but again, obviously not meant to be how you're supposed to do it so I feel the shield is fine.

And hey, I learned something I didn't know about how vanilla LttP works. I had beaten Misery Mire and Ice Palace and couldn't figure out for the life of me why the super bomb wasn't appearing at the bomb shop, since the only requirements I knew of was beating both those dungeons. Turns out there's a third requirement, which is to save the dwarven smith. You don't have to temper your sword, just reunite him with his brother. It seemed like a weird requirement but then I remembered that 'The Dwarven Swordsmiths" is one of the ending scenes, so the game is making sure that players are making him able to logically appear there. I know the ending would play the same even if you didn't save the smith and just did Ganon silverless but it's neat that outside of exploiting that the game is quietly making sure you're making the ending happen.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I picked up Link’s Awakening for Switch on sale, do they allow you to skip picking up heart containers? They didn’t in the original iirc and if I’m gonna replay this game I’ve played 100 times before I might as well make it hard and go for a three-heart run.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Just finished my Minimalist run! Trinexx actually was not difficult at all, only took me two attempts. You get seven rod shots with no half magic and as long as you're quick swapping to the hammer and getting hits in, you even have a little bit of wiggle room if you miss a couple of shots. Much easier than I expected.

Ganon of course was a pain, since four hits is death. I was down to a single heart near the end of the firebat sequence and had to make some good use of save states, but I still feel pretty accomplished.

It was great fun. I really enjoy LttP a lot, and how you can play the game a lot of different ways. It's also weird to find out how many times the game tries to give you certain items if you skip them where you're supposed to get them. I already knew the Lamp could show up in the area where your uncle is if you don't grab it from the house, and that it also shows up in Zelda's cell if you skip that one too. But finding out the boomerang is in the old woman's house in Kakariko where you have to bomb the wall (which normally has 10 arrows) was surprising.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I picked up Link’s Awakening for Switch on sale, do they allow you to skip picking up heart containers? They didn’t in the original iirc and if I’m gonna replay this game I’ve played 100 times before I might as well make it hard and go for a three-heart run.

They do! The doors to the instrument rooms open after you beat the boss instead of after you grab the heart container, so you can do legit three heart runs in the remake. They also allow you to play in Hero Mode on a new game, which causes enemies to deal double damage, and gets rid of heart/fairy drops.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you do hero mode you honestly don't even need the three heart run

it eventually settles when you start having more than 12 hearts or whatever and the defence tunic but the beginning of hero mode is actually brutal

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah i think it’s quadruple damage? it’s been a while but i remember earlier game enemies doing two hearts instead of half of one.

e: i might be thinking of LBW

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah only ALBW has quadruple damage for hero mode(but hearts still appear)

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://youtu.be/oR8XxZ2KHkY

This is canon

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I started Windwaker HD last week, currently on Dragon Roost Island and just got the Wind's Requiem and the grappling hook. Time to sail the seas! :yarr:

I'm pumped to tear back through this for the first time since it first came out on Gamecube

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Go back to Windfall Island and do the auction house, you can get a sail that lets you go fast no matter the direction of the wind, saves you a ton of time.

Edit: after you beat Dragon Roost obviously.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Oh hey, Im also replaying Wind Waker at the moment! But the original version, not the HD one.

...yes, I am attempting to 100% the Nintendo Gallery despite that, why do you ask :shepicide:

(in other news, guess who only just learned that the Tingle Statues/Knuckle exist? I'll give you a hint, it's the same person whose GBA/GCN link cable mysteriously stopped functioning :argh:)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Final Blog Entry posted:

I started Windwaker HD last week, currently on Dragon Roost Island and just got the Wind's Requiem and the grappling hook. Time to sail the seas! :yarr:

I'm pumped to tear back through this for the first time since it first came out on Gamecube

Does it just skip the message bottles mechanic now that miiverse is dead? I loved finding and sharing dumb stuff so much, but I haven't been back to see what happened with it after the service ended.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Does it just skip the message bottles mechanic now that miiverse is dead? I loved finding and sharing dumb stuff so much, but I haven't been back to see what happened with it after the service ended.

Good question, I have the bottle and have messages turned on, I'll let you know if I find any!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

To be fair, in the original you could skip everything. I had an odd habit of checking my map a lot in that game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, in the original you could skip everything. I had an odd habit of checking my map a lot in that game.

Man it would've been best if they'd kept that glitch functionality in the remake. Partly for usefulness, but mostly for seeing how much fuckery you could get up to, now in 3D.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it doesn't have the screenwarp but LA switch is absolutely broken in that exact way

you can go out of bounds in a large number of places and skip around a lot

watch a speedrun if you want to see some in action

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

it doesn't have the screenwarp but LA switch is absolutely broken in that exact way

you can go out of bounds in a large number of places and skip around a lot

watch a speedrun if you want to see some in action

Thanks for this post, I never checked out the run before and lol, I love the glitches where he's just walking on top of all of the scenery.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Just got this game a week before Christmas and already have put 50+ hours into it. I am completely hooked. Spent a total of probably 10 of those hours grinding for gems/ore because I thought Link's house was 30,000 rupees... when it was only 3,000. Well, at least I am loaded for awhile.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's the best game.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Fake James posted:

Just got this game a week before Christmas and already have put 50+ hours into it. I am completely hooked. Spent a total of probably 10 of those hours grinding for gems/ore because I thought Link's house was 30,000 rupees... when it was only 3,000. Well, at least I am loaded for awhile.

Save some of that for the great fairies.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fake James posted:

That was deffo one of my early highlights :allears: poked around death mountain, noticed all the gems nearby and just did as much as i could naked so i could go back to a town, sell, and feel awesome

e: man, got nostalgic and started reading this thread from back when the wii u version of botw leaked. Everyone was so excited and happy doing all sorts of stuff, can't wait for 2
e2: every like twenty six posts someone brings up solving the gyro ball puzzle by turning the controller upside down

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 29, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I would like to pick BotW back up and finish some of the content that I didn't do, such as the Champion part of the DLC and the sidequests, but the world is so big and I've forgotten so much that I am lost. I went so far as to treat myself to the hardcover strategy guide that covers the expansion content, and it's still like trying to untangle string with my head in a bag.

Edit: I have tons of cash, but one thing about this game that has always annoyed me is how supplies are capped based on how much you have. If I want to buy 999 bloody bomb arrows, just let me you pricks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Do the champions ballad first, it’s amazing and the reward for completing it is fun as hell and will help with whatever else you want to do in the game.

You can filter your quests to the champions ballad from the pause menu and it will tell you where to go.

Arrows are definitely capped at the stores on purpose in order to force you to use other weapons and stuff, for better or worse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you do the Champions ballad and have not done the intial great plateau challenge, here’s some tips. Go into it with a bow that shoots 3 or 5 arrows at a time like you often get from Lynels. Use shock arrows from a distance on the majority of the enemies, then go in for the cleanup while they’re stunned. You’ll see what I mean when you start it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

At least you can get as many regular arrows although it's time consuming and you need to finish both Eventide Island and have the teleportation rune.

Next to Eventide Island there is a small, donut-shaped mini island that has a chest in the shallow water in the center of said island. This chest has 10 arrows in it. If you put the teleportation rune on the ground near the shallow water, you can open the chest and get the arrows, then teleport to the rune and the chest will have reset, being full of 10 arrows again. Rinse and repeat until you are bored and/or have a shitload of arrows.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

At least you can get as many regular arrows although it's time consuming and you need to finish both Eventide Island and have the teleportation rune.

Next to Eventide Island there is a small, donut-shaped mini island that has a chest in the shallow water in the center of said island. This chest has 10 arrows in it. If you put the teleportation rune on the ground near the shallow water, you can open the chest and get the arrows, then teleport to the rune and the chest will have reset, being full of 10 arrows again. Rinse and repeat until you are bored and/or have a shitload of arrows.

You can also just dump a cache of weapons on a raft for Eventide Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5AKKtwnQv4

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

True.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/iuFzZMK.gifv

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

*looks at his extensive collection of Zelda Amiibos* I don't usually have too much trouble with arrows... Once I found myself wanting to buy more because I was under 200...

Also nice Sailor Fierce Deity.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How are any of you ever running out of arrows

In all my saves i have like 300+ regular arrows and around 100 of every other type, i literally can't use them fast enough for how many you get from random camps and enemies

Also if you ever somehow do find yourself low just kill every lizalfos along Zora's river. They all drop bundles of 10 for like 150 arrows in total

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It's easy to run out of arrows when you spam arrows from weak bows all the time, due to never wanting to use up the good bows JUST IN CASE.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy gently caress. lol

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't thik that I'm a loony if I want to be able to buy as many regular arrows as I can carry. The special ones I can sort of understand - but not really - and the kind that I struggle the most with are bomb arrows, but limiting the ready supply of normal arrows frustrates me like always being short of bombs was in classic Zelda. Honestly, I liked the 1 arrow = 1 rupee thing in NES Zelda and wish that that had carried on. I always wished that they had made 1 bomb = 10 rupees or something like that, and whoever in Zelda randomiser made shots with the wand + magic book explode like a bomb is a bloody genius.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

JustJeff88 posted:

Honestly, I liked the 1 arrow = 1 rupee thing in NES Zelda and wish that that had carried on.

this is the single worst thing I've ever read on these forums, and I regularly lurk in the threads where a lot of posters are obviously covert nazis

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I just unlocked the Master Cycle Zero last night, and my god, it's so good. I can't wait to just drive around and scout out shrines.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Athaboros posted:

I just unlocked the Master Cycle Zero last night, and my god, it's so good. I can't wait to just drive around and scout out shrines.

Make sure to clown on guardians as you effortlessly pull off sweet jumps dodging their lasers :rock:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This is kind of really cool. Breath of the Wild's NPCs were more-or-less made using the Mii creator and a converter to transfer them into the BotW art style.

https://twitter.com/HEYimHeroic/status/1345946860222033923?s=20

Vandar fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 4, 2021

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's a pretty clever way to be able to easily make the countless NPCs in the game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Today I learned that BOTW only lets you use 100 stamps. I’d been stamping all the rare monsters on my map and ran out, lol. Had to delete all the guardian stamps I stuck in and around Hyrule castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Today I learned that BOTW only lets you use 100 stamps. I’d been stamping all the rare monsters on my map and ran out, lol. Had to delete all the guardian stamps I stuck in and around Hyrule castle.

Understandable, it’s easy to forget that there are guardians around Hyrule Castle