Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Gabriel S. posted:

Personally, I don't think SCAVs should spawn at the very start of a game...

I don't get why there wouldn't be scavs already spawned....like isn't the idea here that you're raiding a location that scavs are already at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I absolutely think scavs should be spawned in when PMCs show up. It doesn't make any sense for the map to be completely empty except for players even beyond the gameplay implications.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The vandalism to scavs being there is shameful!

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
IMO any scavs that would be present from the start should be those who are inside buildings that are in middle of maps or are inherently loot-heavy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
scavs should spawn at map start and that shouldve been the "solution" to hatchet running rather than all the fir changes

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Stux posted:

scavs should spawn at map start and that shouldve been the "solution" to hatchet running rather than all the fir changes

I like the FIR changes - but I don't think it's made me hatchet run any less...I'm still perfectly happy to do a hatchet run to shove croutons and canned beef up my rear end...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The community or streamers didn't like player SCAVs spawning at the beginning of most maps. It ruined their raids but personally I would bring it back.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Having a scav or 2 screaming and shooting st the other big red team would be nice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Reddit seems to be saying that 10 minute PMC wait times are unique to the Chicago server, which is one I have selected. Can anyone say if that matches their experience or is that a myth?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Reddit seems to be saying that 10 minute PMC wait times are unique to the Chicago server, which is one I have selected. Can anyone say if that matches their experience or is that a myth?

I saw that as well. Chicago is likely my auto-select, and yes, every match has been 10 minute wait the first time I launch a raid.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm on the US East Coast and currently have it set to auto select and my wait times are definitely upwards of 10 minutes in the evenings, less if I play early.

I don't think it's unique to Chicago, I think it's just there's so many people playing right now that everyone is having to wait in line to get a game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It turns out tarkov in the USA is played by 40 goons and 60 other racists.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
In my mind the scav spawning was sort of like in the Raid series, there are a few scattered around the map and more start showing up when they realize there are PMCs there

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It really sucks there is so few scavs now. Want to kill 25 in interchange? Have fun hiding somewhere and doing chores/watching TV and come back in 20-30mins. Great loving game design guys.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Uninstalled after waiting like 10 minutes in a matching screen. I'll be back but I don't want to look at this game for a few days. Dying a lot would be more tolerable if it didn't mean waiting forever for the game to match you back in.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ihmemies posted:

It really sucks there is so few scavs now. Want to kill 25 in interchange? Have fun hiding somewhere and doing chores/watching TV and come back in 20-30mins. Great loving game design guys.

The quests were all made for a different game than what Tarkov has become. Supposedly they’re going to rewrite them after Streets is added but who knows.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

Roman posted:

Uninstalled after waiting like 10 minutes in a matching screen. I'll be back but I don't want to look at this game for a few days. Dying a lot would be more tolerable if it didn't mean waiting forever for the game to match you back in.

Peak tarkov was when I could do 5 hatchet runs in less than about 5 minutes

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The upshot to the (non-Punisher, at least) kill X scavs on Y map missions is that they don't gate anything, so you can just kind of complete them "naturally."

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 5, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Introduction? :v:

I mean its only 5 scavs, but it does gate prapor entirely!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

They really ought to add more quests for Reserve. Imo it's one of the best maps and I don't think I've run it once with goons because there's no reason to go there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Varied terrain to fight in? Its got good loot? In fact I think there is some loot (military junk, like the AESA arrays) that is almost impossible to get outside of Reserve.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
reserve has great loot and its everywhere. id say its what you want to money run starting out if the map wasnt always full of chads for that exact reason.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Varied terrain to fight in? Its got good loot? In fact I think there is some loot (military junk, like the AESA arrays) that is almost impossible to get outside of Reserve.

Tank batteries. Saw one guy exfil with 3 one day. Of course it's quite a chore to transport them to exit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Just started playing this but the dude who got me into it is hellbent on never leaving Customs. I love this game when I don’t hate it.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I love customs, it's a fun map but I understand why people don't like it. You're kind of stuck there for the first 10 levels doing quests though which kinda blows. I've been doing shoreline all day and it's pretty fun when my rear end in a top hat isn't getting reamed by sanitar.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
i learned the game solo and laser focused on customs early and died a lot and now its my favorite map

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Reserve is defs best loot but you essentially have to chad it up in there because of raiders and other chads roaming the hills

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Stux posted:

i learned the game solo and laser focused on customs early and died a lot and now its my favorite map

I did this except I dislike customs

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
customs only became tolerable after they expanded it and you weren't turbo hosed if someone was camping the gas station chokepoint.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
id always just cross through up over the rail tracks a little away from new gas and then down back by bus depot.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
or wait for all the chads in dorms to start hitting their dicks with hammers inside then pop across between dorms and the wall

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

sum posted:

They really ought to add more quests for Reserve. Imo it's one of the best maps and I don't think I've run it once with goons because there's no reason to go there.

Reserve is the best place ever for scav runs. Shoot poo poo in the legs with your awful gun. Collect loot. Escape. Or even better. Don't shoot anything. Hide and loot corpses and get out.

You don't need to go into reserve all chaded up - but you can go in scav and leave chad.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Back when I played, which at this point was 2 patches ago, Reserve was where I made easily 75% of my money. Mostly as a scav. Just way too many good exfils for scavs. It was so easy to just pop in, grab a few things and pop out with a bunch of money. Then you go play your PMC, finish that run and go do your scav. I almost didn't even try to kill people. My goal was almost always to find where people killed Gluhar and his buds, loot that area and get out. I had runs that were as short as 3-4 minutes, which maybe doesn't sound fun to you, but i've always viewed scavs as a way to make money. I think that has always been their intent too. You just have such a massive disadvantage against chads that Battlestate can't seriously expect you to have a chance against them. Maybe when you can team up with other scavs reliably, but 1v1, a chad almost always outgears a scav. Plus, they usually aren't solo and it's a poorly geared scav against a group of 4.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Back when I played, which at this point was 2 patches ago, Reserve was where I made easily 75% of my money. Mostly as a scav. Just way too many good exfils for scavs. It was so easy to just pop in, grab a few things and pop out with a bunch of money. Then you go play your PMC, finish that run and go do your scav. I almost didn't even try to kill people. My goal was almost always to find where people killed Gluhar and his buds, loot that area and get out. I had runs that were as short as 3-4 minutes, which maybe doesn't sound fun to you, but i've always viewed scavs as a way to make money. I think that has always been their intent too. You just have such a massive disadvantage against chads that Battlestate can't seriously expect you to have a chance against them. Maybe when you can team up with other scavs reliably, but 1v1, a chad almost always outgears a scav. Plus, they usually aren't solo and it's a poorly geared scav against a group of 4.

Only thing worth fighting on reserve are raiders that you can single out and pop quickly. Shoot legs or faces with your awful scav gun.

If you get a clean raider kill you can loot them, and get a better gun and armor and most importantly nades which will enable you to actually engage more of the mobs on the map on level footing.

Scav reserve is peak rat gameplay - if that is your thing, it's a great time. Personally I really like the gameplay loop of going in as a trash geared scav, trying to gear up in map, getting some more kills and extracting full of stolen gear. My drat scav is same level as my PMC....and scavs can't get quest xp rewards....

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

re: Customs the expansion made it a whole lot better but holy poo poo is anything west of the river and spawning on that side just awful. Why they chose to have that many players spawn so close together on a map that they set a lot of beginner quests on baffles me. Not only is it incredibly common for geared players to just rush towards those spawns or for new players who dont know where players spawn to just walk right infront of their los right as they start, but crossing the actual river bed is a nightmare and your only real choices as a new player are to hide and wait for the vets to either kill each other or cross or get lucky and zoom across asap but that rarely succeeds. That side of the map also needs expanding I think, at least so the spawns arent right on top of each other. I'm speaking as a solo player of course, i'm sure those that run Duos and groups and crave the PVP love it and that's why so many queue for it because its instant action, but really outside factory which is clear to new players is a PVP map it's easily the least forgiving map for new players imo, at least for those first 5-10 minutes.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 5, 2021

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

re: Customs the expansion made it a whole lot better but holy poo poo is anything west of the river and spawning on that side just awful. Why they chose to have that many players spawn so close together on a map that they set a lot of beginner quests on baffles me. Not only is it incredibly common for geared players to just rush towards those spawns or for new players who dont know where players spawn to just walk right infront of their los right as they start, but crossing the actual river bed is a nightmare and your only real choices as a new player are to hide and wait for the vets to either kill each other or cross or get lucky and zoom across asap but that rarely succeeds. That side of the map also needs expanding I think, at least so the spawns arent right on top of each other. I'm speaking as a solo player of course, i'm sure those that run Duos and groups and crave the PVP love it and that's why so many queue for it because its instant action, but really outside factory which is clear to new players is a PVP map it's easily the least forgiving map for new players imo, at least for those first 5-10 minutes.

They really should just add a bunch of newbie quests to shoreline that do not touch the resort area. I really like shorline and feel that it's heavily under used for quests. The resort is a death trap sure, but the current newbie quest chain of go to Customs, one of the more challenging maps, get totally lost on the woods, a confusing as gently caress map for noobs, then go get hosed in factory, an absolute death trap, is lovely as gently caress.

When goons taught me tarkov, they took me to Interchange and Shoreline. It worked really well - and it baffles me that the game doesn't do the same thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW, as one of those new players, zooming east across the river has worked most of the time for us, like for all but one or two of 30+ raids. But wandering into likely sight lines is so, so true. Does anyone have a link/list/breakdown of spawn points and likely "no mans lands"?

Currently we rush across the river and either go towards what we call "laboratory building" or "construction yard" or "new gas", and generally we die there, or maybe we kill some scavs which is fun, or maybe we loot and then go further on. Generally towards the south east of the map to extract.

If we can survive our first destination, either from not encountering anyone or encountering and killing AI scavs, our chances are pretty good to go all the way to extraction.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Jack B Nimble posted:

FWIW, as one of those new players, zooming east across the river has worked most of the time for us, like for all but one or two of 30+ raids. But wandering into likely sight lines is so, so true. Does anyone have a link/list/breakdown of spawn points and likely "no mans lands"?

Currently we rush across the river and either go towards what we call "laboratory building" or "construction yard" or "new gas", and generally we die there, or maybe we kill some scavs which is fun, or maybe we loot and then go further on. Generally towards the south east of the map to extract.

If we can survive our first destination, either from not encountering anyone or encountering and killing AI scavs, our chances are pretty good to go all the way to extraction.

Probably the last 3 times if I get the far south spawn but closest to the river and book it across that land bridge I've been shot in the back and either killed or had to dodge bullets and get across. If you spawn north near the bridge yes you can usually rush across the wooden planks safely but yea it's honestly a matter of luck that if you spawn and rush that the player right behind you chooses to either rush also and shoots you in the back or turns around to fight around the big red warehouse, which sucks. I agree with you that once you survive that first opening salvo it's fairly easy going unless you go to say dorms its just a shame the beginning is so harsh on new players. Interchange also has that mad dash at the start but at least the map is big enough and the spawns are spread out that you can mostly avoid players and even go do something else like go loot Powerstation or skirt the outskirts, unlike Customs west where you're often surrounded at all sides.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok yes now I'm remembering the whizz of passing fire on more than one dash across the southern land bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok yes now I'm remembering the whizz of passing fire on more than one dash across the southern land bridge.

I play in this same 3 man group and we've never taken fire while crossing the actual concrete bridge. Could be blind luck, but there's so much cover we'd have to run into players actually on the bridge to get into a fight. Getting to the real bridge requires a little more time near the trains though, where you can definitely get in a fight, but at least that's at ranges you can see/hear enemies and engage up close where you can still get lucky vs a heavily geared guy. So, as a new player, concrete bridge seems like the way to go for me