Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

When Trump and Hillary had to say something nice about each other at a debate like they were in preschool :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lmfao

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

When Trump and Hillary had to say something nice about each other at a debate like they were in preschool :wth:

and Trump had an easier time with the answer, it stymied the Hilldawg

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Platystemon posted:

They’d injured hundreds of people and been informed of the injuries on numerous occasions.

Stella Liebeck only sued them for her actual medical bills after being offered a pittance. The jury looked at the case, said, “that’s hosed up” and hit McDonald’s with more to send a message. This amount was cut way down on appeal.
On top of that, that location had been repeatedly warned that their coffee was too hot and could severely burn someone. The judgment in her favor was one day's worth of McDonald's coffee sales.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's hilarious how slavish the american people are

e: Hadn't a judge ordered them to lower the temperature multiple times too

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Oh you ordered a hot coffee, how was i supposed to know you didn't mean melt your jeans into your skin hot huh?? Picky picky.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

im internetism

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

On top of that, that location had been repeatedly warned that their coffee was too hot and could severely burn someone. The judgment in her favor was one day's worth of McDonald's coffee sales.

I was under the impression it was a nationwide thing. McDonalds served insanely hot coffee because they bought the absolute cheapest beans they could and didn't want anyone noticing the taste.

They had been told by the FDA or whoever that their coffee was unfit for human consumption at that temperature and the main excuse was "most customers get coffee to go and drink later at work, by then it's cooled down"

quote:

McDonald’s operations manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns in three to seven seconds.

The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and biomechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, the leading scholarly publication in the specialty.

McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.

An expert witness for the company testified that the number of burns was insignificant compared to the billions of cups of coffee the company served each year.

At least one juror later told the Wall Street Journal she thought the company wasn’t taking the injuries seriously. To the corporate restaurant giant those 700 injury cases caused by hot coffee seemed relatively rare compared to the millions of cups of coffee served. But, the juror noted, “there was a person behind every number and I don’t think the corporation was attaching enough importance to that.”

McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.

McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature.

McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.

btw at the time this lawsuit made national news it was probably like the 15th or so time someone had sued McDonald's over the coffee.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Jan 5, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ram dass in hell posted:

Oh you ordered a hot coffee, how was i supposed to know you didn't mean melt your jeans into your skin hot huh?? Picky picky.

McDjinn

pentyne posted:

They had been told by the FDA or whoever that their coffee was unfit for human consumption at that temperature and the main excuse was "most customers get coffee to go and drink later at work, by then it's cooled down"

Yeah and then McD’s did their own studies on the matter for marketing purposes and the results were “lol no people want to drink it immediately” and McD’s was like “I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that”.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/963185881367629824?lang=en

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
MACdonalds gaslighted everybody but now that word means nothing! Just like lots of other words! gently caress liberals

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gaslighting is when someone tries to convince another person that something happened (or didn't) even though it contradicts that persons own memory or direct knowledge. it is not a synonym for just lying. it's a very specific kind of lying. :eng101:

a good example is when shaggy's girlfriend caught him banging the neighbor lady on the bathroom floor and then he kept insisting "it wasn't me" even though she loving saw him doing it

Spergin Morlock has issued a correction as of 12:09 on Jan 5, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

why did micky deez want to keep the coffee so hot anyway, what's it to them

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Four Seasons Total Landscaping

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gaslight is a movie where a manipulative husband does stuff like show his wife privately that his watch fell off its chain and suggest maybe she took it

and then later at a party pull it out of her purse in front of people

it's purely manipulative bullshit because the husband wants to drive her insane and inherit hr stuff or something. he's basically staging that she's a paranoid kleptomaniac who imagines the gas lights in their house dim, when they don't (but they actually do, and he dims them)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spergin Morlock posted:

gaslighting is when someone tries to convince another person that something happened (or didn't) even though it contradicts that persons own memory or direct knowledge. it is not a synonym for just lying. it's a very specific kind of lying. :eng101:

a good example is when shaggy's girlfriend caught him banging the neighbor lady on the bathroom floor and then he kept insisting "it wasn't me" even though she loving saw him doing it

Antonymous posted:

gaslight is a movie where a manipulative husband does stuff like show his wife privately that his watch fell off its chain and suggest maybe she took it

and then later at a party pull it out of her purse in front of people

it's purely manipulative bullshit because the husband wants to drive her insane and inherit hr stuff or something. he's basically staging that she's a paranoid kleptomaniac who imagines the gas lights in their house dim, when they don't (but they actually do, and he dims them)

actually i think you'll find it's when you tankies try to claim that joe biden is a warmonger

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

actually i think you'll find it's when you tankies try to claim that joe biden is a warmonger

:thunk:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
You mong ONE WAR and suddenly "you're a warmonger"...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Antonymous posted:

why did micky deez want to keep the coffee so hot anyway, what's it to them

i think the official reason was it was the temp it smelled best at

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

duz posted:

i think the official reason was it was the temp it smelled best at

i thought they did it because mcdonald’s did focus testing and asked when people actually drank their coffee, which was like 15 minutes after they got it, and then they figured out ~*optimal coffee temperature*~ for serving, and so they heated their coffee so it would be the correct temperature if you let it sit for 15 minutes (which is volcanic lava that melts your pants to your leg)

it’s exactly as stupid as it sounds which is why i believe it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Tommy Tuberville the day after he won his election talking about the campaign finance crimes hes going to commit

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They're pushing me out the door :smith:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Michele Bachmann hiding in the bushes like a cartoon character

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

michelle bachmann eating that enormous sausage

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

unfortunately for her, she's gotta take it where she can get it

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

World War Mammories posted:

marcus bachmann eating that enormous sausage

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
https://youtu.be/ek3OUay2uWw

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mark Karpeles and MTGox

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Filthy Hans posted:

Mark Karpeles and MTGox

MTGox being a Magic the Gathering card website

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Bari Weiss trying to get a professor fired for supporting palestine, and then turning into #1 free speech warrior

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

trump had a pretty decent answer about how she was a "fighter" who never gives up or w/e while hillary complimented his pathetic children

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

NightGyr posted:

Bari Weiss trying to get a professor fired for supporting palestine, and then turning into #1 free speech warrior

ah yes the dershowitz

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

trump had a pretty decent answer about how she was a "fighter" who never gives up or w/e while hillary complimented his pathetic children

lmao it was even worse iirc, she complimented him on being a clearly loving father when he very clearly doesn’t give a poo poo about any of his failkids aside from Ivanka, who he wants to gently caress

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

MTGox being a Magic the Gathering card website

worse, it was for magic the gathering: online, a digital version with a built in trading platform already

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/macklemore/status/193624999595220992

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/macklemore/status/4085475013?s=20

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Hahahah never saw this one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jake Tapper trying to get Macklemore's meeting with Obama cancelled by bringing up this tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

NightGyr posted:

everyone at the NYT revealing that bari was a spoiled piece of poo poo they all hated after that awful article about using the military against protesters was published

then she stuck around for months after hoping to get fired and become a free speech martyr

when that didn’t happen she quit and put out some piece whining about it and then faded into obscurity

does anyone know what she’s up to now?