Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ewan posted:

Why are you all focusing on wind turbines on hills anyway. Offshore wind is where it's at. Just build gently caress off massive wind turbine clusters off shore in the windy seas and we all good. Build some nuclear plants for your base load too and you have a green, sustainable mix. Maybe a couple of back up 'clean' (yes I know it's not completely clean) gas, just in case for those cold wintery days of surge energy.

And for the sake of fairness, we should recognise that the UK actually has a pretty good and progressive energy mix, and it is getting better every year.

Off shore wind looks a lot better and they have plans to put up the biggest off shore wind park in Finland where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There were plans to put an offshore wind farm near Bournemouth, but my shithead MP (who just so happens to be connected to the oil industry) led a campaign against it and killed it off.

No prizes for guessing which party he's in.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Realised I'm not actually sure if my daughter's kindergarten is open today or not. It has kids up to age 6 which might stop it being considered a nursery, but also it's an independent Waldorf-based thing (gulag, yes) so gently caress knows what rules they follow.

Called them once already this morning, no answer. No email last night.

At this point I think we're just getting ready and heading over in 15 minutes to see what's up. Not even sure what I'm hoping for!

e: Open today for everyone while they try to find out what the rules are for 5/6 year olds (my daughter is 5)

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 5, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bump_fn posted:

pub takeaway beer banned

Boris please bring back

https://twitter.com/britcultarchive/status/1346181962499842048?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

sebzilla posted:

but also it's an independent Waldorf-based thing (gulag, yes)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Okay I'm a diligent homeschool teacher but I'm not gonna do a PE lesson entitled "cosmic kids yoga harry potter session" because it looks like the same kind of algorithmic youtube bait about elsa and spiderman having kidney surgery

I had better get my rashford vouchers too or there's gonna be hell to pay for posh chorizo at waitrose

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/L__Macfarlane/status/1346195838591234048

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1346368476697534464

powerful stuff

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Given that the PM has successfully done Politics, there is no need for me to Oppose him in any way

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Boris & Kier; the last two bits of overcooked spaghetti dangling forlornly over the edge of the colander.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

seeing piers morgan support kier on tv fully blackpilled me

its just the attempt to make it so there are two/three conservative parties but one of them will kill you with a disease and the other says they will try not to

then the one that kills you polls higher anyway

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

If I didn't know who Starmer was and watched this interview I'd assume he must be a government minister.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

*reading job description*leader of her majesty's most loyal- yep, I can do this, no point in reading the rest

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

If I didn't know who Starmer was and watched this interview I'd assume he must be a government minister.

I was thinking exactly this yesterday, I am genuinely not sure why he exists

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Convex posted:

I was thinking exactly this yesterday, I am genuinely not sure why he exists

He's basically controlled opposition at this point, even if he's too thick to know it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

For four and a half years we were told that every time Labour didn't have a response ready within ten minutes of an event happening that it showed how terrible Corbyn was, how out of date and slow he was. They'd retweet whatever boiler plate nonsense the Lib Dems posted with phrases like "the real opposition". They'd suppress info on the right wing of Labour deliberately sabotaging communications and briefing against Corbyn to the press.

All for this. So that this flailing sweaty ham could gently caress up opposition to Boris Johnson going into a lockdown months late and not even call for better sick pay or provisions for rent arrears. This is the Labour party as they meant it to be. This is the kind of opposition they wanted. This is the Labour party fully operational.

They threw away your future for this.

For twelve months you have been asking: who is Keir Starmer?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just reading facebook this morning - my niece who has a 5 yr old (who was all excited on Sunday night to go back to school but now isn't) and her friends of similar ages with kids - quite a few single parents in there (and few of them became single parents intentionally), all their work cancelled. All having anxiety attacks, trying to homeschool the young kids while trying to do something, anything online to earn money.
They are all in this 'self-employment' thing - doing hair, makeup etc for weddings and so on - all work cancelled for a year now with last year's floods followed hot on the heels by covid 19.
I do not know why they do not qualify for Universal Credit though most of them only went 'self employed' mid-late 2019 in this kind of 'bits and pieces' work that loses them entitlement to benefits but if they are on benefits and advertise this work in local facebook groups end up with DWP turning up on their doorstep demanding to see 6 months worth of bank statements and so forth to show the pathetic amounts of money they earned.
There seems no way out of this benefits trap. Obviously you don't want to give up benefits unless you can make more doing self-employed work, but if you try to build up your business they hammer you like a ton of bricks.
Our local MP is a tory - hard right - if party leader said throw yourself into the fiery pits of hell, he would. Doesn't give a poo poo about people, it was reported to me by the parent of a child with autism when I was running the CLP FB page in the 2017 election that he had told her the kids should be euthanized.

For fucks sake Keith - MAKE A BLOODY FUSS, even if that's all you do! Wretch!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I just read an article yesterday in the Israeli FT equivalent (can't find it now and its in here anyway) that said that over the last year over half of the UK's power came from wind energy.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Has anyone got any footage of him actually saying "we should keep schools open" in the last week or so?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Miftan posted:

I just read an article yesterday in the Israeli FT equivalent (can't find it now and its in here anyway) that said that over the last year over half of the UK's power came from wind energy.

I should rather think that's just the hot air coming out of old Boris Johnson's gob, op!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL that is my trademark very biting, topical, HIGNFY-style wit :c00l:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Really though 60,000 odd people are needlessly dead due to covid because he's such a callous and useless oval office

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Vitamin P posts a lot.

(I will not let that terrible dad joke lie. It was my posting peak)

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

jiggerypokery posted:

Has anyone got any footage of him actually saying "we should keep schools open" in the last week or so?

Starmer? No, that would be to definitive a position. Pretty sure he's just equivocated and talked about how we need to seriously consider some school closures, but not making any clarification on what kind or how many (e.g. national vs that weird London only closures they had). All part of his plan to try and paint the Government as being vague and not giving definite plans while himself being as vague as possible while not giving definite plans.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Maugrim posted:

I find the overall downward trend in energy demand over the years interesting (notwithstanding the 2020 uptick). I wonder what the reason for that is.

Low energy lightbulbs!
Industrial efficiencies (which could also mean them ceasing to exist) have seen that sectors energy requirements drop by 60% since the 70's compared with 12% for residential homes. I got this data from GCSE material lol.

Miftan posted:

It doesn't look like its quite that much but it was the second largest means of production behind gas. Somebody linked this a page or so ago - http://grid.iamkate.com/

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

jiggerypokery posted:

he said on Sunday afternoon that he "didn't want to add to the chaos that would be caused by having all schools closed tomorrow", which is a roundabout way of saying schools should stay open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr0sQwkVdAs

tbf he did say that school closures were inevitable, although if they're inevitable it seems a bit shortsighted not to demand that they happen as soon as possible, so that doesn't win you many points. especially when you turn around to demanding immediate school closures 24 hours later (after it was briefed that schools would be closing)

also you lose more points for saying it's too short notice to close schools when people have been talking about it for a week and you've deliberately waited until Sunday afternoon to make a statement

I'll see if I can find some earlier statements but he was pretty much silent on the issue beforehand iirc

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I think his shadow education person said they must stay open but need to close but must stay open.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Kieth generally seems to have adapted his Brexit strategy of hide and hope the problem has gone away by the time the next election rolls around and applied it to COVID. So provided there are absolutely no crises or serious issues facing the country in 2024 he'll be fine.

https://twitter.com/multiplebears/status/1346371034606415873

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/johnjohnstonmi/status/1346191630240542722?s=21

bleakest lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

Really though 60,000 odd people are needlessly dead due to covid because he's such a callous and useless oval office

Closer to 90,000 at this point

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It's looking obviously like they know what has to be done, they just really, really don't want to do it. Resulting in this, over and over.

Part of the issue is that it's really, really common for both parents to work now (because our modern pricing of everything is based around that), so schools are basically childcare. Obviously this isn't an attack on families where both parents work (or single parent families), it's just that things are very different to how they were even 30 years ago.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Someone should Photoshop Starmer onto the Iraqi information minister, that's about his level now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

Kieth generally seems to have adapted his Brexit strategy of hide and hope the problem has gone away by the time the next election rolls around and applied it to COVID. So provided there are absolutely no crises or serious issues facing the country in 2024 he'll be fine.

Every time he's talking about whatever nonsense the govt is doing I just get an extremely "hey it's not my problem" vibe from him, like he knows he doesn't have to do anything but fend off leadership challenges for the next 3 years

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Lungboy posted:

I think his shadow education person said they must stay open but need to close but must stay open.

yeah, yesterday morning lol

https://twitter.com/KateGreenSU/status/1346031723528806402?s=20

although it's really just waffling bullshit about how "we want kids to be in school, the right place to be is in school" which could be read as more aspirational about the way things ought to be ideally than an actual position on how things need to be right now

but that waffling bullshit is half the problem, and they very pointedly did not back teachers and call for school closures, choosing instead to harp on about chaos and confusion caused by the government's policy (a fair point, but maybe explicitly outline the only actual alternative?)

but yeah, they specifically refer to school closures "as already happening, and more are inevitable" rather than "something that needs to happen nationally and immediately" from Sunday afternoon up until the government briefed it had changed its mind, all while complaining about the government's chaotic indecisiveness

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Haven't they learned by this point? Every single time they make the crisis worse by dithering endlessly and then having to implement the extreme measures anyway. Now it looks like we're facing over a thousand deaths a day at the same time we are rolling out the vaccine and the end is in sight. It defies belief.

Not saying we could have been New Zealand but no reason we couldn't have been Australia and limited total deaths to something similar to what we'll get in just the next week.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Flayer posted:

Haven't they learned by this point?

They never learn op

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also I still can't believe this oval office actually said this bit

bojo posted:

I completely understand the inconvenience and distress this late change will cause millions of parents and pupils up and down the country.

Parents whose children were in school today may reasonably ask why we did not take this decision sooner.

The answer is simply that we have been doing everything in our power to keep schools open, because we know how important each day in education is to children’s life chances.
just bring up that question and then basically not answer it

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Flayer posted:

Now it looks like we're facing over a thousand deaths a day at the same time we are rolling out the vaccine and the end is in sight. It defies belief.
If anything it seems more believable now imo: with the end in sight it's just a question of whether you'd rather kill tens of thousands of the vulnerable or slightly inconvenience the capital class, which is a very obvious question whomever you ask but for staggeringly different reasons

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

If anything it seems more believable now imo: with the end in sight it's just a question of whether you'd rather kill tens of thousands of the vulnerable or slightly inconvenience the capital class, which is a very obvious question whomever you ask but for staggeringly different reasons

But we seem to have settled on a formula that gives all the inconvenience while also killing tens of thousands.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Borrovan posted:

The bungled response has been no help to the capital class either in this country, it's a downer for everyone. The US went ahead with the straight up "gently caress the people" option, we've gone for all-round incompetence that helps nobody.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

Someone should Photoshop Starmer onto the Iraqi information minister, that's about his level now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah I know, it's been an utterly mental plan throughout for everyone apart from hardcore denialists & short-termists*, hence why having a vaccine it a lot more believable imo that they'd try to take the rest of the deaths on the chin at this point: they didn't give a gently caress about long term consequences before, & now it's short term all the way**

*in fact business attitudes towards covid policy are a great case study on short-termism & irrationality in business, pretty much all of them were all like "idc if it costs me £100 tomorrow, I want to keep my £5 today"

**death is short term, right? they get better??