Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

boo_radley posted:

LA RMS Agency directive to conserve oxygen, provides updated guidelines for administration.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pervaizistan/status/1346283751861608449

Bring back the idea of DNRs for people who refuse to wear masks. Not a single one of these fuckers should get any access to emergency medical services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How do you enforce it? Alot of anti maskers arent just collapsing in public

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Bring back the idea of DNRs for people who refuse to wear masks. Not a single one of these fuckers should get any access to emergency medical services

This is a good philosophy that cannot backfire when implemented by a right wing government.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There Bias Two posted:

Isn't this just going to encourage forgery/dumping doses down the drain?

If they commit "vaccine fraud" they can get fined a million bucks and lose their medical license
https://abc7ny.com/parcare-vaccine-fraud-attorney-general-ny-covid/9143911/

Meanwhile in Chicago .....
https://twitter.com/nbcchicago/status/1346183378744340480

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 5, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

boo_radley posted:

LA RMS Agency directive to conserve oxygen, provides updated guidelines for administration.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pervaizistan/status/1346283751861608449

I’ve read this order 5 times and it doesn’t any anything about not transporting. It only defines when oxygen should be given while in the ambulance.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve read this order 5 times and it doesn’t any anything about not transporting. It only defines when oxygen should be given while in the ambulance.
From further along in that twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/Pervaizistan/status/1346295476405084168

E: the order is specifically talking about patients who go into arrest and can't be resuscitated, saying that they're ordered not to transport "patients with little chance of survival" is misrepresenting the order

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 5, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well people seem to be confusing two different things then.

Like this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh heyyyyyyyy this isn't going to negatively affect the existing contact tracing efforts (which are already worthless for the most part) at all. Cool cool

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1346165055570792453

E: actual contact tracing has been pretty good here in Australia but the app was mostly useless garbage

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dandywalken posted:

Acquaintance of mine survived a bout around Christmas, and is loudly doing the "the flu was worse!!!!!!!" spiel. Idk how to counter that so Ill just ignore it I guess.

I've had pretty good success with pointing out that the reason it spreads so fast and kills so many people is that a lot of people experience mild symptoms, letting them spread it that much easier to those it does maim and kill.

I've yet to deal with anyone who denies the infection and death rates, but if I had, they'd be dead to me anyways, so idc

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: actual contact tracing has been pretty good here in Australia but the app was mostly useless garbage

I thought the app performed extremely well at lining the pockets of some LNP donor, which I assume was the main purpose of it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Trip report from the Munich mass testing site:

You schedule an appointment (usually the first slots available are 2 days later) and then go to the Oktoberfest grounds where the beer tents used to be in the Before Times.

Now there is a huge white tent there that has a drive in lane and an entrance for walk-ins and cyclists.

You walk up to a booth where a "doorman" checks your name on the list of appointments, then you walk along the path into the tent, inside there are 2 counters for walk-ins and 4 for cars. Since there were few cars I was asked to go to the adjacent car lane desk.

At the first desk they scan your appointment QR code and birth date and need to see some kind of ID. Then they hand you a GDPR form to read at home (this is Germany after all, gotta make sure to cover their asses) and a transfer slip with 2 stickers.

You walk 10 m forward where there is a second desk, and put down your slip. One person transfers one sticker onto a little leaflet while the other pokes your brain takes a swap from the back of your mouth. You get the leaflet and walk out.

The leaflet has a URL where you can get your result or a QR code for an App (if you are a frequent swabee I guess), results are available 2-3 business days later.

I was in and out in under 7 minutes even though there were 5 people and several cars in front of me.

This is completely free for anyone in Bavaria, unless you return from a vacation or had an App contact alert, then your insurance covers it, but that means it is also free for you.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Heyyyyy what's up with Ireland?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/
Seems bad. :thunk:

Their reported cases up until Dec 31 were WAY down compared to Northern Ireland, but there were apparently they were entering all their coronavirus data manually so their numbers were weird
https://twitter.com/VictimOfMaths/status/1344371642361925632

Christmas, especially all the people coming home for it from the UK.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Oh heyyyyyyyy this isn't going to negatively affect the existing contact tracing efforts (which are already worthless for the most part) at all. Cool cool

doesn’t this mean they’re looking at suspects phones anyways which at that point.... yeah i guess you’re being investigated? or did they change the collection pattern such that it’s now centralized?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

doesn’t this mean they’re looking at suspects phones anyways which at that point.... yeah i guess you’re being investigated? or did they change the collection pattern such that it’s now centralized?

Australia's has always had an element of centralisation to it. It's modelled off the Singapore TraceTogether/BlueTrace algorithm, which does the matching server-side. As you suggest, they may well have grabbed it as they've grabbed phone data. Maybe they've dragnetted it up too though, idk. In any case, it's still got issues due to capturing data of third parties to the warrant.

Speaking of Singapore, they've backtracked on only using their tracing privacy data being only used for contact tracing, now admitting that police can get it for investigations too. This is going to be way more damaging to the trust in these systems.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Match it up with facial recognition and you are getting into AI policing, which is bad news all round.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dandywalken posted:

Acquaintance of mine survived a bout around Christmas, and is loudly doing the "the flu was worse!!!!!!!" spiel. Idk how to counter that so Ill just ignore it I guess.

"It's not as bad as the flu! It was easy to get over! I barely felt anything!"

"For you."

For these people if it doesn't happen to them then it isn't real. And for some, as we've seen, they'll take the hoax to their last dying breath. Their brains are absolutely broken.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BrigadierSensible posted:

This happened to me. I was out and went to the milk bar and forgot to put on my mask once I stepped inside, (we are allowed to go maskless outdoors, so long as we're not in goups). The lady at the counter told me, (through her mask), to put on a mask or gently caress off. I apologised, and luckily I had my mask in my back pocket out of habit, put it on and I was allowed to buy my can of coke.

Milk bar?

Is that where the McPoyle's hang out?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
If it's a Polish milk bar, it's a cafeteria.

If it's an Australian one, it's a corner store.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

Trip report from the Munich mass testing site:

You schedule an appointment (usually the first slots available are 2 days later) and then go to the Oktoberfest grounds where the beer tents used to be in the Before Times.

Now there is a huge white tent there that has a drive in lane and an entrance for walk-ins and cyclists.

You walk up to a booth where a "doorman" checks your name on the list of appointments, then you walk along the path into the tent, inside there are 2 counters for walk-ins and 4 for cars. Since there were few cars I was asked to go to the adjacent car lane desk.

At the first desk they scan your appointment QR code and birth date and need to see some kind of ID. Then they hand you a GDPR form to read at home (this is Germany after all, gotta make sure to cover their asses) and a transfer slip with 2 stickers.

You walk 10 m forward where there is a second desk, and put down your slip. One person transfers one sticker onto a little leaflet while the other pokes your brain takes a swap from the back of your mouth. You get the leaflet and walk out.

The leaflet has a URL where you can get your result or a QR code for an App (if you are a frequent swabee I guess), results are available 2-3 business days later.

I was in and out in under 7 minutes even though there were 5 people and several cars in front of me.

This is completely free for anyone in Bavaria, unless you return from a vacation or had an App contact alert, then your insurance covers it, but that means it is also free for you.

must be nice living in a real country

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WaryWarren posted:

If it's a Polish milk bar, it's a cafeteria.

If it's an Australian one, it's a corner store.

If it's dystopian English milk bar in the future you're about get a bit of the old ultraviolence from some droogs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think the last I saw in this thread it was speculation but low and behold, it was unsurprisingly a conspiracy theorist.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1346252758119276545

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

We need extensive background checks to make sure doctors aren't anti-vaccine nutjobs.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Fuuuucking hell.

(note that the hospital figure is over a week out of date too, lol)

quote:

One in 50 people in England had Covid in week to 2 January

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/05/one-in-50-people-in-england-had-covid-in-week-to-2-january

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Singapore an Australia are the only countries using a centralised data and reporting system (blue wave). Apple/google use a completely different decentralised system that is much less vulnerable to misuse.

Please don't contribute to the FUD that has made the uptake of contract tracing apps so garbage.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/TweetsofOld/status/1346446251605319680

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

This is a good philosophy that cannot backfire when implemented by a right wing government.

Nah you can make it voluntary and a lot of these fuckers will eagerly sign the DNR just to prove fealty to the orange idiot. Like literally title it "Declaration that COVID-19 is a hoax" and watch chuds come out in mass numbers

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Haha, when I click on the tweet to read the whole image it says "The following media includes potentially sensitive content." gently caress off Twitter.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Well, ya'll don't know me. Feeling somewhat shattered right now.

Some background.

Been trying my best to be mindful of this pandemic.

I'm a bartender at a small hotel next to the ocean.

Last Saturday was my last day at work. We are closed for the next few months, it's cold outside and nobody wants to come here.

Yay! unemployment if I'm lucky. Most importantly, some time off to indulge in some solitary hobbies.

So, how am I shattered?

Nice old lady across the street, who I have known for 25 years, asks me to help her move a couch into her home.

Note, this isn't an unusual request, our neighborhood has always been the kind of folks that help each other out.

Well, after trying to accomplish an impossible task, which I knew from the onset of the problem, I surrendered.

I tapped out, made my apologies, and began my exit.

Oh, and this whole ordeal encompassed nearly an hour.

Turns out Granny had Covid "sometime around Christmas", according to her daughter, a traveling nurse.

I am the ultimate idiot. A good deed might kill me, or make my life more complicated than it should have been.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 6, 2021

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
gently caress people who do that. (Not literally)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DamagedGoods posted:

Well, ya'll don't know me. Feeling somewhat shattered right now.

Some background.

Been trying my best to be mindful of this pandemic.

I'm a bartender at a small hotel next to the ocean.

Last Saturday was my last day at work. We are closed for the next few months, it's cold outside and nobody wants to come here.

Yay! unemployment if I'm lucky. Most importantly, some time off to indulge in some solitary hobbies.

So, how am I shattered?

Nice old lady across the street, who I have known for 25 years, asks me to help her move a couch into her home.

Note, this isn't an unusual request, our neighborhood has always been the kind of folks that help each other out.

Well, after trying to accomplish an impossible task, which I knew from the outset of the problem, I surrendered.

I tapped out, made my apologies, and began my exit.

Oh, and this whole ordeal encompassed nearly an hour.

Turns out Granny had Covid "sometime around Christmas", according to her daughter, a traveling nurse.

I am the ultimate idiot. A good deed might kill me, or make my life more complicated than it should have been.

If "around Christmas" means before the 25th you might be fine. The doctors here are letting people go on about their business 10 days after a positive test. The CDC is saying 7 days might be fine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/02/cdc...%20researchers.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Was set to get my 2nd shot this week.

The hospital system still hasn't gotten last week's scheduled dose deliveries. 2nd dose is now delayed indefinitely.

Cool, cool.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fenarisk posted:

Was set to get my 2nd shot this week.

The hospital system still hasn't gotten last week's scheduled dose deliveries. 2nd dose is now delayed indefinitely.

Cool, cool.

Does this mean you've got to start over with the 1st shot again?

It took me 3 tries to finally get all the correct Anthrax shots.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Fenarisk posted:

How are some of the most important deliveries in US history getting this hosed up?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Me when my PS5 is stuck two states away:

pro starcraft loser posted:

How are some of the most important deliveries in US history getting this hosed up?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Does this mean you've got to start over with the 1st shot again?

It took me 3 tries to finally get all the correct Anthrax shots.

Nobody knows! People are rightfully pissed and losing their poo poo because most of us will be out of the appropriate window for the 2nd dose.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fenarisk posted:

Nobody knows! People are rightfully pissed and losing their poo poo because most of us will be out of the appropriate window for the 2nd dose.

My wife got the 1st shot already and there's a 2 day window for the 2nd shot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

My wife got the 1st shot already and there's a 2 day window for the 2nd shot.

Two days from when?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I haven't even been able to set up an appointment for the first shot. I was at my doctors earlier today for some unrelated stuff and figured I'd ask while I was there. They about laughed me out of the room.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Japan had nearly 5,000 new cases yesterday.

God-damnit Japan! I need you to lower the cases so you can open the borders at the end of Jan like you're supposed to and I can get my work visa.

Why you gotta do me like this?

On other news, my brother and his family got their COVID test results back today from when they returned from NSW. Well, most of them. My sister in law and my niece's tests came back negative, (YAY), but they haven't told my brother yet. Which is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Well, err... wouldn’t go so far to say changed.

quote:

Incidental collection is a common term used by spies to describe the data that was not deliberately targeted but collected as part of a wider collection effort. This kind of collection isn’t accidental, but more of a consequence of when spy agencies tap into fiber optic cables, for example, which carries an enormous firehose of data.