Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally whilst I played Soulstorm I never played Necrons the way everyone describes them. Probably because I was admittedly bad at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, Winter Assault victory kinda goes to both the Orks *and* the Eldar. The Eldar are most obvious, but play as Chaos in Dark Crusade, and you learn that one of the Orks' outcomes holds true as well.

But yeah, I'm torn between Necron and Space Marines - Space Marine for Canon, and Necron because it's the new race that doesn't already have a Dark Crusade LP on the archive. Buuut, looking at the current poll results, only one of those two looks to have any real hope of coming out on top, sooooo...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, Winter Assault victory kinda goes to both the Orks *and* the Eldar. The Eldar are most obvious, but play as Chaos in Dark Crusade, and you learn that one of the Orks' outcomes holds true as well.

Yeah, well, as far as the Orks are concerned, as long as it was some good fightin' they count it as a win.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm voting Eldar to make Coolguy really annoyed for the whole game. Plus, then you'll be forced to talk about Eldar in Dark Crusade, and the forbidden salt that lay within.

EDIT: Also, Tau are the only bad choice here, I feel. There is already an LP of Dark Crusade with the Tau. Why would you take the only race that has already been done, and do it again?

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 3, 2021

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

I'm voting Eldar to make Coolguy really annoyed for the whole game. Plus, then you'll be forced to talk about Eldar in Dark Crusade, and the forbidden salt that lay within.

EDIT: Also, Tau are the only bad choice here, I feel. There is already an LP of Dark Crusade with the Tau. Why would you take the only race that has already been done, and do it again?

Video LPs and SSLPs are different beasts.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

apostateCourier posted:

Totally not an emptyquote.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

yeah this is a big part of why i voted tau

it has nothing to do with the fact that i was brainwashed indoctrinated welcomed into the tau empire during that LP!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ashsaber posted:

Totally not an emptyquote.

there is no shame in emptyquoting in our threads friend

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Emptyquoting might attract the attention of the Inquisition. :ohdear:

I stumbled upon this and the emperor guided me to post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWutrVCkbpA

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Honestly I'm kind of surprised how many people have opted for Necrons so far, since as of this post they've finally broken the deadlock they had with the Tau and started surging ahead on votes. With the Discord I played some Dawn of War Dark Crusade and kind of proved a point of how utterly bullshit but agonizingly slow they are so I would have thought that would have directly lead to a lot of votes towards Necrons.

But in my defense I random'd the Necrons the last time I did it and no one got off my lawn like I told them to.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, I voted for Eldar, the best race. :colbert:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I couldn't vote for six basilisks, so I went for three instead.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Wish I could change my vote to Tau :negative:

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Eliphas the Inheritor demands that somebody "find" 11,700 votes for Chaos.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Grammarchist posted:

Eliphas the Inheritor demands that somebody "find" 11,700 votes for Chaos.

I'm laughing harder at this than I expected.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

I couldn't vote for six basilisks, so I went for three instead.

I'm hoping for IG on Soulstorm. Sisters aren't actually that interesting in play, I didn't find. And the Guard's air unit, while not the most powerful, is weird and interesting and has unique mechanics.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I was never able to figure out that unit. Weird mechanics that didn't really fill a niche that wasn't already occupied by the rest of the easy-to-use mechanised units. That, and Soulstorm is such a slog.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

inscrutable horse posted:

I was never able to figure out that unit. Weird mechanics that didn't really fill a niche that wasn't already occupied by the rest of the easy-to-use mechanised units. That, and Soulstorm is such a slog.

I find that the guard/Sisters get the easiest path on Soulstorm and can reduce the slog immensely with the right path. Minor spoilers I guess

Sisters of battle have forward bases which is really good to have in soulstorm and the guard have reduced requisition costs for everything. IG/SOB eats the other one and then they go right to the Space Marines for deep strike squads. Once you have that and enough honor guard you can steamroll any non base battle in about 5-10 minutes

Every race loves that combo. SOB/Guard can just do it quickest.

Also am I gimping myself with always going full melee with the command squad? I go all priests all the time and maybe one psyker if going against someone with annoying tanks, but I find the guard severely lacking in melee and use the command squad to fill that hole early on.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Coolguye posted:

there is no shame in emptyquoting in our threads friend

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

apostateCourier posted:

also this.

but i swear i am not biased towards Tau! i voted for da Orkz :shrug:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Order Episode 4: The Final Journey (Imperial Guard)

So here's a cool thing Relic did for their penultimate mission. Both Order and Disorder campaigns play this map, and in each variation the layout is more or less the same, and the game allows you to switch between the campaigns' factions at will during the map. The end result is you choose who to end the mission with in order to unlock the final mission with that faction. So today we're going to run to the Psychic Gate with the Imperial Guard, and next week the Eldar! And by run I mean we're going to struggle to get anywhere because I stubbornly refuse to let the Land Raider do what it wants I'M IN CHARGE HERE.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
My favorite tactic is honestly to just trap the thing by building buildings around the Land Raider so it can't get out. It'll sit quietly until you let it out.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

...hearing you go on about Super Robot Wars makes me want to see you do a VLP of OGs now that its translated, but that would be a hell of an effort.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

...hearing you go on about Super Robot Wars makes me want to see you do a VLP of OGs now that its translated, but that would be a hell of an effort.

It might be a better stream, to be honest. I might be getting a better internet connection come February but whether it's good enough for that we'll see.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

I'm hoping for IG on Soulstorm. Sisters aren't actually that interesting in play, I didn't find. And the Guard's air unit, while not the most powerful, is weird and interesting and has unique mechanics.
Yeah, me too but thatīs mostly due to me wanting to see my boys and girls in the IG win in these games for once.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

On the super robot wars you are right

Trombe overrides everything except the final boss theme, or anyone who is LITERALLY BLASTING MUSIC from their mech/battleship etc. Persumably if you were facing a guy in a mech with a mech sized guitar, that would override.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

Trombe overrides everything except the final boss theme, or anyone who is LITERALLY BLASTING MUSIC from their mech/battleship etc. Persumably if you were facing a guy in a mech with a mech sized guitar, that would override.

One of my favorite "Game bugs that became a real feature" stories.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

In Alpha 3 you can Trombe Override Third Impact.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Morand posted:

Also am I gimping myself with always going full melee with the command squad? I go all priests all the time and maybe one psyker if going against someone with annoying tanks, but I find the guard severely lacking in melee and use the command squad to fill that hole early on.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details after all these years, but I recall that you want one priest for his squad buff, but commissars are better melee fighters otherwise. I guess all detailed DoW1 unit info got lost when relicforums went down.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details after all these years, but I recall that you want one priest for his squad buff, but commissars are better melee fighters otherwise. I guess all detailed DoW1 unit info got lost when relicforums went down.

The big reason to take multiple Priests in the Command Squad is for multiple uses of their Invincibility power in the late game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

The big reason to take multiple Priests in the Command Squad is for multiple uses of their Invincibility power in the late game.

I don't know about Winter Assault, but in later versions I'm pretty sure Priests had the highest melee DPS, so if you wanted to turn your command squad into an enemy commander killin gang, you'd load it up with all priests and it could box most of the other commanders and win.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Priests increase squad attack and defense, commissars massively increase health regen and morale regen, and psykers do jack poo poo. 2 priests 2 commissars is I think the accepted max durability wisdom, taking the invulnerability into account. 4 psykers is the ranged support "gently caress you, gently caress your commanders, gently caress your relic units, gently caress your infantry, die die die die die" option that requires A LOT of micro.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
These are all funny ways of saying "Throw Leman Russes at it til it dies"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

These are all funny ways of saying "Throw Leman Russes at it til it dies"

Don't you mean Basilisks and Russes?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

You mean point baneblade in general direction of it?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
These are all excellent shinies for da boyz to loot. Excellent work making a list for da lootas n' meks

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He'z makin' a list an' checkin' it twize.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I fully agree with Coolguye, a properly crafted RTS campaign that slowly introduces units and gameplay elements is always preferable to 'here's a map, here's your full army, work it out'.

My first time I played this map, I tried to manage both armies, which didn't go too well, but it was okay, because the Ultramarines got all the way to the gate on their own. That Land Raider does not give a gently caress.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Who needs tanks when you have human wave tactics and a complete disregard for your own causalities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

He'z makin' a list an' checkin' it twize.

Gonna find out who'z a git and who'z nice