Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well I feel like a loving idiot. I was cleaning my keyboard today and managed to let it slip and hit my screen, putting in a little dent dead center in the screen. It still works but it's now a huge fly in the ointment and I'm really annoyed about it and thanks to a recent bonus from work, am seriously contemplating buying a new monitor.

Anyways, it's a AOC Agon ag352UCG and I'm contemplating the Dell AW3420DW to replace it (really a monitor with gsync and 120mhz like my current one), since the AOC one is no longer made and I can't find one on ebay from a seller that seems reputable. Anyone here have any opinions on that model or a similar one I should perhaps look at instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
must it have g-sync? the extra value-add-tax doesn't seem worth it for the 1-48fps g-sync range you gain over freesync.

what is your GPU?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I just got a 3080 last month.

I was under the impression that gsync was good IF you have a Nvidia card, or at least a good one. Guessing that impression is false.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

G-Sync is good, it just uses more hardware to do it's thing than a G-Sync compatible or FreeSync display. For example, a bunch of G-Sync monitors had fans in them because they needed active cooling.

I thought someone had a post about G-Sync compatible monitors, but maybe it was in the GPU thread because I am having trouble finding it. Basically, even if something is G-Sync compatible certified from NVIDIA, you should still look for reviews on how well it works. It's not a given, but it can be a very attractive alternative to proper G-Sync. To the point where proper G-Sync is probably going away over time.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 30, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah it's more that paying the premium for "real" g sync instead of "only" g sync compatible doesn't really get you anything IRL.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

This is probably a question this thread gets frequently but is there a recommended brand / type of DisplayPort cables to get? I just bought some monitor arms for my XB271HU and X34p (which I *think* are DP 1.2) and my 6 foot cables aren't cutting it. Just want to double check before I blindly buy some from Amazon.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I can't give you any recommendations but I can warn you that whatever cables you get will be outside of spec and there's a very good chance they won't work or won't work reliably. 6 feet is the spec maximum length for a DP cable, and it can be hard enough to get them working consistently at that length.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I ordered a couple of these and they have been working well on two 3840x1600 160hz displays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L3CLKR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sean10mm posted:

Yeah it's more that paying the premium for "real" g sync instead of "only" g sync compatible doesn't really get you anything IRL.

native gsync can even be a negative at this point, the new gen3 module used in the 4K144 and 170/180/200 hz 3440x1440 monitors has a fan that's running while the monitor is on, kind of a bummer on a $1000+ monitor.

It's really time for NVIDIA to poo poo or get off the pot, if they want to keep making Native GSync a thing they need to actually tape out a dedicated chip for it. Yes, you can use programmable fuses to set variable overdrive/etc, that's not an actual problem.

Quick question, not sure if anyone will know this or not (obviously the products aren't out yet but maybe you can tell from the spec / from other comparable products) but with the X34S vs X34GS, the S supports 200 Hz (with a native module and a fan) while the GS is only 180 Hz. Is this another situation where the native gsync module can run a little faster but only if you use chroma subsampling/etc? Going with the GS and not having to put up with a fan sounds better either way I think.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 31, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I managed to find a LG UltraGear 27GN950-B on Ebay for not a ridiculous markup and it should be here late next week. None of the places I signed up for notified me of being available and the one place I found it to order from (Adorama) let you purchase it on backorder. Someone on Ebay had it for $925 and took $850 for it and I had a gift card from the year before that brought it to basically MSRP. It's taken about a month of searching for parts to finally get everything I need but it will all finally be done by next weekend. I'll probably forget something simple like cables, so i'm gonna start going through and assembling it this weekend to order on Monday, if needed.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

republic posted:

This is probably a question this thread gets frequently but is there a recommended brand / type of DisplayPort cables to get? I just bought some monitor arms for my XB271HU and X34p (which I *think* are DP 1.2) and my 6 foot cables aren't cutting it. Just want to double check before I blindly buy some from Amazon.
I actually bought a 4m Club3D DP cable from Amazon that was on the VESA verified list. Runs my Pixio P7 Prime at 165hz/10bc without any dropouts or flickering. They also have a 3m version available.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Ended up orderering another asus monitor lol https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TNM8L6S I'll give a trip report on the difference when i get it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I have an Asus VE247H 24” that I’m using now and an LG 27GL83A-B 27” on the way, would I still be able to dual monitor with my old Asus on a 3080 without any issues? I think the Asus is at most 75Hz refresh and it only has DVI and HDMI...

If this is feasible, any suggestions for cheap monitor arms that I could use for these that I can get from Amazon.ca or some other Canadian retailer?

E: planning to setup the monitor arms on a desk close to a wall on a standing desk (electric kind)

Thanks!

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 2, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
If you're in Canada and are okay with a 24" TN panel, one of Walmart's third party sellers hosed up and have priced their Acer V246HL's at $35 each. I almost bought 3 for my triple monitor setup before I noticed they were TN.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Acer-V246HL-24-LED-LCD-Monitor-16-9-5-ms/PRD41AM9HSUWTQ1

Get 'em while they're hot!

edit: vvv I'm bad at reading

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 3, 2021

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It’s from a third-party seller FYI.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So I was looking at getting a 27" monitor and was looking at this Dell on Amazon, the Dell S2721D for $259 bucks. That is on the upper edge of my budget, but it seems like a good monitor. Is that a decent deal or is there another monitor with similar or better specs that I should look at?

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with the acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx (https://www.costco.com/acer-34%22-class-qhd-freesync-curved-gaming-monitor.product.100695359.html)? I was planning on grabbing the gigabyte G34WQC but it’s out of stock everywhere and this one is only $50 more so I was thinking about grabbing it and then if it’s not great using the generous Costco return policy. Thoughts?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

Actual G-sync is some nvidia proprietary bullshit over Displayport. Some of the newest G-sync monitors also support Freesync.

Freesync is an extension AMD came up with to do VRR over Displayport. It's become fairly standardized, but implementations can be anywhere from absolutely worthless trash to extremely good.

"Freesync over HDMI" is some even more proprietary bullshit AMD came up with. Nvidia will never support this, I wouldn't be surprised if even AMD drops support for it with their next generation of cards or something.

HDMI 2.1 VRR sometimes gets called Freesync or G-sync but is really more of a universal standard.

tldr : don't buy monitors because they say freesync. Don't buy monitors because they say they're g-sync compatible. Don't buy monitors because Nvidia says they're g-sync compatible. Buy monitors that are known to be good or at least likely to be good. If you don't know how to do this, just loving ask and someone will tell you what to buy.

I don't know how to do this. I just picked up an RTX3060 ti and apparently I should upgrade my lovely $100 monitor too? Any suggestions? Seems like 1440p 144hz is the thing, ideally under $600 CDN.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Peachfart posted:

So I was looking at getting a 27" monitor and was looking at this Dell on Amazon, the Dell S2721D for $259 bucks. That is on the upper edge of my budget, but it seems like a good monitor. Is that a decent deal or is there another monitor with similar or better specs that I should look at?

It's only 75hz but the review seems okay: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721d

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

acumen posted:

I don't know how to do this. I just picked up an RTX3060 ti and apparently I should upgrade my lovely $100 monitor too? Any suggestions? Seems like 1440p 144hz is the thing, ideally under $600 CDN.

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-27GL83A-B-..._bb_marketplace

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Are display port and DVI compatible? Can I connect an old DVI monitor to my 3080 via display port and an adapter? I'd like a 2nd monitor for watching videos while playing games on my main screen. I have a bunch of screens that I can use but they're all display port.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

Are display port and DVI compatible? Can I connect an old DVI monitor to my 3080 via display port and an adapter? I'd like a 2nd monitor for watching videos while playing games on my main screen. I have a bunch of screens that I can use but they're all display port.

Assuming you mean DVI-D it’s just a simple cable

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Anyone else rock an OLED as a third monitor?

I have my C9 hooked up the problem is it's 90 degrees to my left and my desk is built into the wall. You guys recommend I get a desk for my couch or a collapsible one? Anyone do this?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Hey dudes, looking at buying a monitor shortly for the following

A) Be a work from home monitor for my partner who is a graphic designer (so colour accuracy is important) plugged into her Macbook Pro
B) I'll be using as a gaming monitor at night, so high refresh rates would be great too.

I'm looking a IPS monitors for the colour accuracy, but otherwise looking at reviews and browsing this thread it seems that monitors in the 27" 1440p 120Hz IPS ballpark are all much of a muchness? Budget wise, I'm in Australia and Covid has hosed with supply lines out here so prices are all over the place. Ideally on the cheaper end though!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

Quick question, not sure if anyone will know this or not (obviously the products aren't out yet but maybe you can tell from the spec / from other comparable products) but with the X34S vs X34GS, the S supports 200 Hz (with a native module and a fan) while the GS is only 180 Hz. Is this another situation where the native gsync module can run a little faster but only if you use chroma subsampling/etc? Going with the GS and not having to put up with a fan sounds better either way I think.

Not sure about chroma subsampling, but one article on it noted that "Due to G-SYNC module restrictions the 'S' model will likely run as a true 8-bit monitor without the additional dithering stage." (as opposed to 8-bit + FRC to fake 10-bit) I honestly am not sure how much of a difference that makes in today's monitors, but it's something to note and, as you say, continue to beat the drum of NVidia needing to decide wtf they want to do with GSync, 'cuz right now it's in a bad place.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

EngineerJoe posted:

Yes but cheapo adapters generally cap out at 1080p/60hz, $60+ active adapters at 1440p/60hz. Very few, if any, will work at 1440p/100hz or more.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know of a HDMI dummy plug that will report 5k?

e: fix is to use a normal dummy plug and add a custom resolution in NVidia control panel

Problem being fixed here was VNC not working without valid display

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 4, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

Yes but cheapo adapters generally cap out at 1080p/60hz, $60+ active adapters at 1440p/60hz. Very few, if any, will work at 1440p/100hz or more.

DVI single link is 3.96Gbit/s, dual link twice that. Single link can’t even do 1080p/60 per the specs. (In practice it seems to )

edit: bad math on my part, single link is basically exactly 1080p/60/32bit color

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 4, 2021

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

Pedantic info:

The simple adapters don't do anything but connect DipslayPort pins on one end of the cable to DVI pins on the other. What actually happens is your video cards DisplayPort hardware detects this, and sends DVI signals down the wire. It can only do Single Link DVI, as DisplayPort only has wires enough for that.

Active adapters accept a DisplayPort signal from the video card, and internally decode it and convert it to a DVI output signal, which can then be produced as single link or dual link, and possibly varying refresh rates, depending on the conversion hardware being used.

If your second monitor is only 1080p, a simple cable will be fine. If it's 1440, it will need an active adapter. Note that an active adapter that can do high refresh rates is probably as expensive as a new monitor that just accepts DisplayPort, and you could get a VRR/Freesync/g-sync compatible display as well.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 4, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Will a passive DVI to VGA adapter be good enough for outputing to a CRT without worrying about bandwidth? Wanted to try high refresh rates on this ancient Samsung.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Will a passive DVI to VGA adapter be good enough for outputing to a CRT without worrying about bandwidth? Wanted to try high refresh rates on this ancient Samsung.

If your DVI port has the analog pins required for this, yes. DVI-I is what you want: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rinkles posted:

Depends on what resolution you're doing. VGA can be pushed to as high as 2048x1536 @ 80Hz or so, which would exceed single-link DVI specs and thus need an active/dual-link DVI adapter.

A passive adapter can get you up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, or >120Hz at 800x600 or whatever.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 4, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Max resolution is 1600 x 1200 at 68 Hz, but it goes up to 160 Hz at lower resolutions (can't find exactly at what resolution, probably tiny).

EoRaptor posted:

If your DVI port has the analog pins required for this, yes. DVI-I is what you want: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I have a 970, last Nvidia gen to have DVI-I, afaik.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A passive DVI adapter is just changing pins on a signal that's already analog. Like digital DVI to HDMI, it's just a form factor conversion, nothing electrical. As long as the GPU can output analog (and I believe you are correct that a 970 can), it will be fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

yeah as mentioned, DisplayPort is single-link only. So is HDMI. If you need a dual-link connection you either need a real DVI port, or an active adapter.

I think there are active adapters that are nominally dual-link but the gotcha there is that they will typically only support the modes that the monitor EDID reports that it can support. Where "100 hz 1440p" usually comes up is people who want to overclock those Pixio monitors that were real cheap like 5 years ago and that doesn't work with adapters, you basically need a real DVI port and those are essentially dead at this point. Like sorry but everyone told (the royal) you at the time that that was kind of a short-sighted purchase.

(I suppose you could nominally buy a GT 710 with dual DVI and use it as a head card, pass the video output from your Ampere to the GT710, that should be supported but really it's just time to either settle for 60 hz or buy a new monitor)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 5, 2021

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

tanglewood1420 posted:

Hey dudes, looking at buying a monitor shortly for the following

A) Be a work from home monitor for my partner who is a graphic designer (so colour accuracy is important) plugged into her Macbook Pro
B) I'll be using as a gaming monitor at night, so high refresh rates would be great too.

I'm looking a IPS monitors for the colour accuracy, but otherwise looking at reviews and browsing this thread it seems that monitors in the 27" 1440p 120Hz IPS ballpark are all much of a muchness? Budget wise, I'm in Australia and Covid has hosed with supply lines out here so prices are all over the place. Ideally on the cheaper end though!

The ViewSonic VX2705-2KP-MHD is pretty much the cheapest monitor that fits the specs, but it reviews great, so that's a nice option. No frills at all, but the panel appears to be very good. Stand is very basic, but you could always put it on an arm or something.

Neurostorm posted:

I'm not seeing it in stock anywhere I'm looking, but will definitely keep an eye out and grab one. Thanks for the advice!

My G34WQC arrived today, and I've been using it for a few hours!

I've noticed it has two main downsides - first, the stand has very little adjustment. It doesn't rise up very high, maybe ~12cm/5in from desk to bottom of screen bezel? It also does not swivel, you have to spin the whole thing around. I was gonna chuck it on an arm anyway, but it might be relevant to others.

Second, and more importantly, the backlight bleed isn't great. It's not awful (apparently the regular 1440p version of this monitor is much worse!), but it's observable in very dark film scenes, for example. Of course, this is more of a gaming monitor anyway, and even quite dark games will have both images and movement that will obscure it. Of course, you have to keep in mind that you're not paying a great deal for this - most monitors that offer 3440x1440p at ~144hz cost twice as much, so you're gonna lose out somewhere. I tried taking a picture but it actually made it look vastly worse than it was! I threw on Aliens and you could see it in the dark before it started, but as soon as the studio logo started to fade in I couldn't see it anymore, even in the black letterboxed sections. Even the space sections were bright enough to hide it.

On the plus side, the screen can get very bright, colours are great, the deep blacks look really nice in a game, and it works with G-SYNC just fine (I believe the flickering some people were having was due to running in HDR, which is basically pointless on anything that isn't a tv). I've not used this panel type before, coming from a 144hz IPS, but I've not noticed any black smearing yet, even when swinging my view around in Tarkov, but I might not be as sensitive to it. I trust rtings.com and they like it too, if that means anything to anyone.

In conclusion, the G34WQC is a land of contrasts. Because it has a VA panel!

i'll show myself out

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 5, 2021

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Wonderful — those sound like reasonable trade offs to me. Are there discords for monitor supply in addition to graphics cards? I’ve been refreshing the four or so sellers but no luck so far.

The only other monitor I’ve found with similar specs/price is this acer from Costco: https://www.costco.com/acer-34%22-class-qhd-freesync-curved-gaming-monitor.product.100695359.html for $50 more. Doesn’t seem to have been rated by rtings, and the only comparisons I can find is this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/jusez4/i_got_both_gigabyte_g34wqc_and_the_acer_ei342ckr/
Their take was that the gigabyte was superior, so given that + it’s cheaper I’ll probably keep looking for the gigabyte. Thanks for the mini review!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm using a LG 27UK650-W IPS monitor, which I originally bought for my freelance work, but has become my default working at home monitor.

I recently noticed a distinct yellow bleed from along the bottom edge - centred, almost all the way across, about 1.5cm high and tapering off. This is only really visible on white, which is why I haven't noticed it for so long - that space is normally taken up by my day-job Windows taskbar. I only noticed it when I plugged my Mac (dock at the side) into it.

The fact that this is a yellow strip visible on a white background with high ambient lighting makes me think it's not IPS glow, is that correct? Very hard to take a photo that shows it sadly.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Has anyone gone from dual monitors to a single ultrawide? I switched to dual monitors at home awhile ago and it's pretty good but takes up a ton of space on my desk that I would love to reclaim. Gaming off-center is a bit weird too, I turn my chair but I've never quite adjusted.

I've been considering a 3440x1440 monitor for more horizontal space, something like an Acer Nitro XV340CK or whatever. I do have some concerns though, I play a lot of older games and I'm worried they won't handle 21:9 well. The other concern is lovely titles with bad borderless window implementations (Pathfinder: Kingmaker for example) where the game minimizes if it loses focus. I guess in the latter scenario this happens on dual monitors anyway.

I don't really code or do anything crazy at home anymore, its just nice having a second monitor to browse while you game sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Has anyone gone from dual monitors to a single ultrawide? I switched to dual monitors at home awhile ago and it's pretty good but takes up a ton of space on my desk that I would love to reclaim. Gaming off-center is a bit weird too, I turn my chair but I've never quite adjusted.

I've been considering a 3440x1440 monitor for more horizontal space, something like an Acer Nitro XV340CK or whatever. I do have some concerns though, I play a lot of older games and I'm worried they won't handle 21:9 well. The other concern is lovely titles with bad borderless window implementations (Pathfinder: Kingmaker for example) where the game minimizes if it loses focus. I guess in the latter scenario this happens on dual monitors anyway.

I don't really code or do anything crazy at home anymore, its just nice having a second monitor to browse while you game sometimes.

Current setup is a 34" ultrawide that I sit just left of center of. And to the left I have 27" 2560x1440 monitor in portrait and boy is it tall lol. But it works for what I need for having a 2nd monitor while gaming.