Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Skeletome posted:

oh and rowan atkinson is trending today for rallying against 'cancel culture' because of course it's real and important

between all the cunts, all the covid, and the fact I hate my new job already lol, I too feel absolutely despondent

this is the only response to it

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1346029868153245696?s=20
https://twitter.com/HertsSid/status/1346406683417989121?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jakabite posted:

It really wouldn’t help. This thread is a fraction of where I get my political hit from, and one of the much better and more interesting ones. I’m doing plenty of other stuff too - working out, learning Spanish, but ultimately I just can’t see any way that society escapes from the downward spiral it’s in. If anyone can then please do say so.

E: I meant generally. Even post-virus, where will we be?

the UK aint getting any better in the next 10 years barring any weirdness, kier is the plug on the pressure valve preventing that kind of change, noteably nobody has plugged the far right valve (shut up its a metaphor i dont know what a valve is) but i'm sure thats fine

mind you things have been very unpredictable lately so who loving knows what happens.
its very clear what we need which is basically a new party or movement that can win a big election victory and attempt to turn the country into a democracy
that could happen any year its just unlikely.

the whole of history is a wave going up and down, we're on a downward trajectory now we just dont know when it goes back up again.
maybe not in our lives, maybe this year. probably not this year.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What's Neil Oliver done that makes him a oval office

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Cuncel culture

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hopefully they shall become irate and land once again to cleanse this foul world. :cthulhu:

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Private Speech posted:

I have some doubts whether that's how it would be, in my experience the more "formally" agile a place is the more toxic the management is.

Not that I'd ever say that to an employer.

In my experience most businesses that claim they're agile aren't at all- there's a real challenge in changing that. I've taken on agile coaching duties as a PM and honestly helping a team feels rewarding even when you might fail

I mean at least it beats the cyclical arguments I'm having around strategy at the moment -.-

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

the whole of history is a wave going up and down, we're on a downward trajectory now we just dont know when it goes back up again.

It goes back up again when the Boomers die OP

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skeletome posted:

Honestly I want to quit, take the time off to train and become a scrum master, because at least then I'm empowering people in a team to be happier when they work, but £1000+ for a mandatory certification is a big ask ):

Most companies you can cajole them to pay for this bullshit once you've ingratiated yourself enough

That's the dick

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I assume you know about the bullshit surrounding the various scrum certificates? I got a CSM cert paid for by a previous job a few years ago, and even then they were talking about introducing a new, more expensive cert because that one was getting too common. Also you have to pay every year to keep it current. Whole thing's a scam (and that's from someone who really likes agile development).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Scrum in a business sense better involve giant Samoans dislocating public schoolboys' shoulders or what even is the point?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

CancerCakes posted:

Has anyone here managed to get any insulation through the Green Grant scheme? Every single installer I have contacted (around 15 of them now) has said they are not taking part. Unsurprising that a tory initiative is complete poo poo, but I would have thought the installers would want the work.
Ha, I've just spent half my morning chasing up my application, my installer has been great and has the patience of a saint but even they're on the verge of giving up considering how convoluted to process is, I'm not surprised installers aren't taking on new quotes until the current backlog is sorted.

My current progress is:
  • Got initial quote and applied to scheme early October
  • Received a generic update at the beginning of November saying vouchers are now being issued but they're finding many applications are incomplete and require more information
  • Double-checked the requirements, my quote and confirmed all information was present so carried on waiting
  • A week later, received another update saying the scheme has been extended for a year but that they were still finding a lot of applications were missing information and then proceeded to list a whole bunch of new requirements that were never mentioned anywhere in the initial scheme
  • Spoke with the installers who had had dozens of calls from people who had received the same email - they advised they were investigating as all of these requirements were totally new to everyone and there had been no indication they were required before the mailshot was sent out to every applicant at once
  • Ultimately got confirmation that quotes before that email only had to follow the original requirements and therefore was still valid after another week of back and forth
  • Chased in mid-December via live chat and was told it was all good, preliminarily approved and just needed the final stamp and voucher would follow shortly
  • Emailed again yesterday asking for an update and was told my installer isn't registered for the scheme, go to the webpage, find and accredited installer and start again
  • Went to the webpage, found the installer I'd used listed, exactly as it was before, sent them a screenshot proving they were registered and got a copy and pasted reply back saying they weren't registered, go to the same webpage I'd just sent a screenshot of and find an accredited installer and start again
  • Rang them and got exactly the same response, so spoke to installer again who confirmed they were registered had always been registered and didn't know what the Green Home people were going on about
  • Now waiting for my installer to get in touch with them to see if they can straighten it out
In short, no I haven't had a voucher yet.

e: This is the site that shows you who is taking part, I assume you're ringing around based on this? https://www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk/installer-search

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 5, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I dunno, that was true for every big problem humanity faced before, that there were better times ahead, if you just struggle through. In My Sadbrained Opinion climate change will mean things just keep getting worse every year for gently caress knows how many centuries.

Generally in nature ecological collapses are eventually self correcting, the issue is that the "correction" means mass die offs, which it would be nice if we could avoid for humanity.

But if you want to take an extremely cursed albeit I think technically accurate view, if most people die then there are fewer total humans suffering and thus less objective suffering in centuries than might be achieved in only a few decades at the moment.

I advise against thinking about this though because you are liable to contract Philosophy if you do.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 5, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What's Neil Oliver done that makes him a oval office

he's anti lockdown and goes on talkradio and retweets Paul Watson

think he also has very bad history opinions, and he supported David Starkey when he went on Darren Grimes show to complain about black people

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18559384.nts-doubles-neil-oliver-defence-amid-david-starkey-row/

quote:

As Oliver’s tweet resurfaced, it also emerged he had liked a tweet praising a member of a sports team for seemingly refusing to take a knee – a pose which has become synonymous with the anti-racism Black Lives Matter movement.

It came weeks after the Coast presenter claimed the removal of slave trader statues, like that of Edward Colston in Bristol, was the first step to reintroducing the guillotine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If we're only going to guillotine the descendants of slave owners who still benefit materially from the payoff, while giving them a chance to relinquish their ill-gotten gains first, then where's the issue?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

feedmegin posted:

It goes back up again when the Boomers die OP

very optimistic imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's the dick

it clearly has 4 legs as well as the dick

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Wolfsbane posted:

I assume you know about the bullshit surrounding the various scrum certificates? I got a CSM cert paid for by a previous job a few years ago, and even then they were talking about introducing a new, more expensive cert because that one was getting too common. Also you have to pay every year to keep it current. Whole thing's a scam (and that's from someone who really likes agile development).

Yeah I'm aware , and I know the whole cert is a money spinner ): Unfortunately it seems like a necessity to even get considered for roles!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They brought in Agile consultants at the last place I worked. The end result was a 15 minute stand-up meeting every morning that everyone hated, 15 minutes less time to do the same amount of work every day, and another spreadsheet to fill in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tarnop posted:

They brought in Agile consultants at the last place I worked. The end result was a 15 minute stand-up meeting every morning that everyone hated, 15 minutes less time to do the same amount of work every day, and another spreadsheet to fill in.

Lmao I think every office is falling for this scam. We spent millions on a consultancy firm who was with us for a year and the end result was a 15 minute meeting each morning, which everyone abandoned as soon as the consultants had left.

We at least got a nice whiteboard to meet next to rather than filling in a spreadsheet though.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It's totally possible to change process for the better in a lot of organisations it just requires way more empathy than the average 'consultant' is capable of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also suggest putting the people who work there at the front of that rather than hiring some middle manager shitlord to come and decide it instead.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

stev posted:

Lmao I think every office is falling for this scam. We spent millions on a consultancy firm who was with us for a year and the end result was a 15 minute meeting each morning, which everyone abandoned as soon as the consultants had left.

We at least got a nice whiteboard to meet next to rather than filling in a spreadsheet though.

We had the whiteboard too. They updated it based on the spreadsheet.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

XMNN posted:

he's anti lockdown and goes on talkradio and retweets Paul Watson

think he also has very bad history opinions, and he supported David Starkey when he went on Darren Grimes show to complain about black people

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18559384.nts-doubles-neil-oliver-defence-amid-david-starkey-row/

Oh cool someone got me his book for christmas and thankfully I haven't cracked into it yet

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

jiggerypokery posted:

It's totally possible to change process for the better in a lot of organisations it just requires way more empathy than the average 'consultant' is capable of.

OwlFancier posted:

I would also suggest putting the people who work there at the front of that

This is exactly what we're doing and it's working - yeah, we've had consultants to get the ball rolling in the first place but they're actually pretty hands off and just kind of gave us the push and guidance more than taking reins.

Tarnop posted:

But this, this would be absolute hell, daily meetings are the death of productivity and team dynamics, they literally just make teams hate the meetings and get everyone demoralised right at the start of the day.

On another note, I really want to see a U-turn on BTECs as well (ideally today), that they're still being expected to sit exams is just ugh. (I mean, the school situation in general during the pandemic just leads to endless internal screaming, fuckkkkkk).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Wolfsbane posted:

I was the member of an internationally recognized federation for my self-employed business for several years. Cost $150-$200 or so every year and got little from it other than badging my website.
Worse, every year, the demands for proofs of certifications got more and more extensive and expensive. That which qualified me for full membership for several years and which had cost me in the region of £15000 to do, was suddenly was deemed insufficient (I'm not talking about CPD requirements here of which I do many hours) and I would have to submit the SAME evidence again and have them approve it at yet another $300 on top of the annual fees.

I declined to renew in 2017 after concluding it was a certification money making scam. I haven't regretted it.

The worst part about it is that there is no legal requirement to be registered, qualified or trained at all. My qualifications in this area are all recognized by NVQ, ILM and various other bodies and the training was in fact superb and I don't regret it, I got a lot out of it personally. But now I see 'get certified' for $7 ads popping up on facebook.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

stev posted:

I can do you one better. My boss a few jobs ago was upset we were behind on a project so he put us on two standups a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. Because that would make things go faster, see! Also in theory they were 15 minutes but could easily drag out to half an hour.

Things did not go faster. And he kept the practice even after we delivered the project.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

One of these days when someone at work espouses some new agile gimmick I'm just going to respond "Individuals and interactions over processes and tools :)" before smacking them with their scrum master cert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-BOSpxYJ9M

If only it really was dead :(

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
is there a bigger loving con in the huge con-filled world of business than loving "consultancy"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Tarnop posted:

I have an hour of stand up meetings + post-stand up meetings every morning from 9-10 that I've just about managed to shift on the rest of my team.

Then regular meetings throughout the day to discuss progress on the work we can't do because we're in meetings discussing the work.

It's madness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

is there a bigger loving con in the huge con-filled world of business than loving "consultancy"
Capitalism.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol talkradio has already been banned from youtube

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Whenever I see these new management toys: back in the 80s it was Quality ISO 9000 or some such - there was one before that before it turned into ISO 9000 but I can't remember what it was, a bazillion different forms to be created, one job I was employed purely because I had an MSc - this was before my PhD - and could sign quality control certificates for LEDs and fuses with a flourish after my name. I hated that job and quit without another one to go to.
Then there was all that LEAN, Kensi Kaizen
Then it was the fresh new and exciting Six Sigma whence I became a hi karate black belt bamboozling my colleagues with fancy words like normal distribution, standard deviations etc (I got picked because We're From Head Office We're Here To Help 'parachuted' a team of consultants over to our neck of the woods and were bamboozling the director and the head of my department at the time with these words - they looked at each other and said 'Jaeluni' hence I became the nominee for the training.).
Anyway, after I left, they got into something called "World Class" whatever that meant, as performance began to tank.
Now it's all this Agile stuff.

So, whenever I see these schemes now I have a little song that I sing to myself "Six six sigma it's the number of the beast".

Oh man, meetings... our CEO decided we had to have programmed meetings nationally at the same time on the same days of every month. Took no account of the fact that in some parts of the country we were geographically small but densely packed services so the same people were essentially doing the job of both the regional and the area teams so had to do two lots of meetings covering identically the same ground and taking several hours in the third week of every month. I think that was the "Command and Control " phase.

(A bit like the CLPs in big cities don't have branches because the whole CLP is like 2 square km in size whereas more rural ones might cover 100 sqkm or more and have numerous branches).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 5, 2021

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Stand ups can be useful but the whole point is that they’re supposed to be brief - you stand up so that everyone is uncomfortable and people don’t drag stuff out, if there’s anything you need to talk out with a team member you do it afterwards so everyone else can get back to work

It isn’t necessarily something suitable for every business and every project but I’m not surprised at management consultants selling it as such

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Me and my team are doing Agile/Scrum/whatever working as a kind of pilot for the rest of my organisation, and I have to say I vastly prefer one mandatory daily 10-15 minute meeting to numerous interminable meetings throughout the week. My organisation has pretty terrible meeting culture and I realise that lots of meeting invites are totally arbitrary, seen as overwhelmingly important vs actual day to day work, and invitees rarely have the confidence to refuse to attend.

The idea that you have to pay consultants to learn how to do it is laughable though. We had someone come in to do 2 days of workshops and it was an absolute farce, because they tried to teach us dozens of different flavours at once, and our resident in-house Agile "expert" kept hijacking the workshops to push his own nightmarish Frankenstein waterfall methodology. Our small team just doing our own thing with a kanban board and 2 week sprints seems to work fine though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kaizen, or NCIS:LA fanfic?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Kaizen, or NCIS:LA fanfic?

Aha yes, I couldn't remember. I knew there was a K in it. That 'biker babe' trope though where someone clad in black leather on a motorbike, takes off the helmet and swings the head back to reveal... OMG... a GIRL (Kensi).... on a MOTORBIKE is so passe (how do I do the funny forin sign that will get me reported over the e?)

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Where I work we're still stuck on lean which mainly consists of half an hour meetings every day where we discuss why our productivity is poo poo (because we have half an hour meetings every day) we rate our happiness on a 1--5 scale (everyone chooses a 3 because choosing anything else requires you to justify your decision) and what we can do to make the work easier (Your suggestions will be ignored because they go against the way things have been always done) it sucks and the sooner they move onto the next management fad the better.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember there was another one from around the time of all that stuff that supposedly came from Japan and was therefore super efficient, but mostly seemed to be about having a tidy workspace and also drawing up far too many matrices about how your workflow and space were tidy, but I can't remember the name.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I do not know why they do not qualify for Universal Credit though most of them only went 'self employed' mid-late 2019
Ooh, I can answer this one!

It's probably because if your partner works more than 16 hours a week, you don't get UC / Jobseekers. Doesn't matter if they're doing 17 hours minimum wage or if you're struggling to pay the bills & mortgage - If your partner works more than 16 hours you get basic allowance which is something like £24 a month.

BUT... If you want the benefits of welfare like free nhs stuff and registering for council tax / housing benefit, you need to be registered. Which means you need to jump through the loopholes of applying for a certain number of jobs a week, or going to atos panels, or getting sent to agricultural colleges for retraining in cyber, and getting sanctioned if you turn down whatever poo poo job they find you.

You can get round this by registering as self enployed, which means at least that the jobcentre aren't hassling you any more. From the jobcentre's perspective it makes the unemployment stats look better and from the claimants perspective it means if they do make money cleaning or doing handy work for friends, they just report it at year end rather than get sanctioned for unreported income.

It's fun being schrodinger's scrounger, simultaneously stealing hardworking taxpayers money and having my in-laws nodding at each other behind my back, and also being on zero income and unable to afford food or get the hole in my teeth fixed.

The best thing about it is that I can't apply for the self employment covid relief because you have to demonstrate how covid has impacted your business, and given that I was working ftom home, it hasn't. I'm just poo poo at being self employed.

Still though, everyone assumes I'm getting all this government money, but when I point out that I'm not the best advice they can give me is to apply for it. Even though I'm not eligible and that's literally what they've been having a go about behind my back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

but I can't remember the name.
Found it, 5S! Notably I remember that one of the S's was the topic of lively commentary about the overall effectiveness shitsuke.