Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Ehud posted:

The company I work for has grown a lot lately and I feel the corporate culture bullshit encroaching into my life.

"We need you to align your Q1 IT tasks with our 5 key objectives for 2021."

okay let me write some stupid crap about how moving from ADFS to Azure AD SSO authentication is going to help the company *checks notes* redefine its go to market sales strategies

jesus christ lol

A noteworthy amount of my time last year was spent filling out development forms and spreadsheets to align tasks to objectives, and it was hell. I get that big companies need to account for time and make sure people are focusing on the right projects, but holy poo poo.

It probably didn't help that talking through it with my old manager pretty much checked every box on my list of workplace stressors. Tbd how much of that was manager-related, but I'm guessing a lot of it was.

Also our director's big thing is projects that "move the needle", which is corporate speak new to me and immediately hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Disney is good and awesome. The problem is that it's overwhelming after a while and it's hard to enjoy a full day because by like hour 5 you need a break.

But no way in heck you're leaving because drat it, you are at Disney.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

shirts and skins posted:

Well, if it cheers you up, somewhere out there is a consultant who has made a *lot* of money off of your company.

All former GE executives working at the biggest energy company in the US so you can only imagine the bullshit.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

waah posted:

Disney is good and awesome. The problem is that it's overwhelming after a while and it's hard to enjoy a full day because by like hour 5 you need a break.

If you had an annual pass you could just leave as soon as you got bored and come back whenever you wanted! No obligation to stay :)

The single day pass is the real monster

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

iwentdoodie posted:

I know Bill Simmons has ruined the goddamn show, but I swear Omar is the best character in a TV show.

Omar is the Boba Fett of prestige tv

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
A few years ago my company changed how goals are managed so they could fit into the same categories for literally every employee and the developers end up with a bunch of goals that have nothing to do with our jobs :toot:

Goals that involve the culture of the company are utter bullshit too

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I like Disney movies but Disney as a company is a huge pain the rear end to work with and I hate them with every fiber of my being.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

one of my first reactions to looking through disney+ is that they own too much

yeah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
yeah this is probably fine

https://twitter.com/Pervaizistan/status/1346283751861608449

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
When I was a kid I didn't know how to read cursive and thought the D in the Disney logo looked like a backwards G

I've thought of them as Gisney ever since

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
some of my all-time favorite TV characters:

- Atia from HBO's Rome. Polly Walker puts on the best acting performance in TV history in my opinion.
- Tony Soprano from The Sopranos. Nothing needs to be said. Another of the best acting performances in TV history. What a great man (James) and actor.
- Raylan Givens from Justified. Tim was made for this role. Next one's comin' faster!
- George Costanza, Elaine Benes from Seinfeld. Can't decide between the two.
- Al Swearengen from Deadwood. I think this is a pretty common choice for anyone who's seen Deadwood. One of the best acting performances in TV history.

Honorable mention to Carmela Soprano, I think Edie did just as amazing of a job as James but Carm reminded me too much of my mom for me to like her character. The acting was too real

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

one of my first reactions to looking through disney+ is that they own too much

yeah

It’s a pretty dinky catalogue compared to HBO Max, which lowkey has everything.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve said this in several other threads but this isn’t a huge departure from most progressive ALS systems.

The most crucial period of a resuscitation is the first 10-20min after the cardiac arrest and patients are better served with good CPR and immediate interventions done on-scene.

I’ve transported a few arrests this year but they were all in and out of shockable rhythms and had ROSC several times and I had exhausted anti-arrhythmics and electricity options and pressors and they all had bad outcomes.

I’d say 85% of resuscitations are terminated in the field these days. Worked to exhaustion and considered futile.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

General Dog posted:

It’s a pretty dinky catalogue compared to HBO Max, which lowkey has everything.

especially after what they just added i think they're the most underrated streaming service

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Quoting this so I can relay my horror story after work

https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/1346251885326589953?s=09

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

I’d say 85% of resuscitations are terminated in the field these days. Worked to exhaustion and considered futile.

Do you guys use the thumper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwWeMbOmIY&t=52s

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

especially after what they just added i think they're the most underrated streaming service

They have so much they have no idea how to market it. I realized last night they have basically every Looney Tunes short ever made.

They also have nearly the entire Studio Ghibli catalogue.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

some of my all-time favorite TV characters:

- Atia from HBO's Rome. Polly Walker puts on the best acting performance in TV history in my opinion.
- Tony Soprano from The Sopranos. Nothing needs to be said. Another of the best acting performances in TV history. What a great man (James) and actor.
- Raylan Givens from Justified. Tim was made for this role. Next one's comin' faster!
- George Costanza, Elaine Benes from Seinfeld. Can't decide between the two.
- Al Swearengen from Deadwood. I think this is a pretty common choice for anyone who's seen Deadwood. One of the best acting performances in TV history.

Honorable mention to Carmela Soprano, I think Edie did just as amazing of a job as James but Carm reminded me too much of my mom for me to like her character. The acting was too real

This list is great, I mean it's a really formidable list, but should also have:

1. Walter White/Gus Freng/Saul Goodman
2. Omar/Stringer Bell
3. Selena Myers

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vertical Lime posted:

I watched Courage the Cowardly Dog on HBO Max night, so :agreed:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pit crew on-scene, LUCAS for the rare transports

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Homer Simpson is pretty good

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

D-LINK posted:

This list is great, I mean it's a really formidable list, but should also have:

1. Walter White/Gus Freng/Saul Goodman
2. Omar/Stringer Bell
3. Selena Myers

Great characters. from the Wire my favorite was actually Marlo Stanfield, he was extremely menacing in a way that no other person on that show could be. I dunno what happened to that actor...

From Veep, i loved Mike. The episode where he dyes his mustache orange is so good, I was hurting from laughing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I watched Courage the Cowardly Dog on HBO Max night, so :agreed:

I watched My Dinner With Andre last week while sick and just spent the entirety of it going, haha, Vizzini is lame.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

shirts and skins posted:

When I was a kid I didn't know how to read cursive and thought the D in the Disney logo looked like a backwards G

I've thought of them as Gisney ever since

Same.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh man did this chap the rear end of my programmers and even senior IT leadership. Every year - you submit your goals (professional, personal, education) all out and then you are measured against them in your annual review.

It got to the point where when had to meet with our executives to lock in our goals for 2020, we’d all meet beforehand so our guys would agree on the goals in the worlds most vague standards, so they weren’t screwed over when they came up short due to timeline or technology hang ups - which was happening ALL THE TIME!

It’s square peg round hole. It’s like when we’re switching to agile and my management flat out me to just reuse our contracts that were specifically tailored to waterfall methodology. It’s... impossible.

It's so loving stupid.

Also, I may be going crazy from 2020 and work from home, but just connected a bunch of dots and realized they might be setting things up to outsource IT. It's more of a growing feeling in my gut than any concrete evidence, but I'm at least going to get the ole LinkedIn updated.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sore throat and headache..yep, getting Covid tested. Gonna have a hearty laugh if it turns out I caught Covid but 0 fish on New Year's Day

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

That Jurassic Park builder simulation game that's free on Epic right now is a pretty good simulation game, at least an hour in or so.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

It's so loving stupid.

Also, I may be going crazy from 2020 and work from home, but just connected a bunch of dots and realized they might be setting things up to outsource IT. It's more of a growing feeling in my gut than any concrete evidence, but I'm at least going to get the ole LinkedIn updated.

Mega switch to immigration work visas and regulation in Mexico have made it much much more viable for for “off shore” rates with easy connectivity, and I know the big tech companies are doing it themselves. Nextera was shifting about 30% of the work they had been handling in hour and staffing to off shore or contractors.

Best of luck with it. Nice part is - some companies seem to already be realizing what a bad idea it is for quality control, and that project managers will always say there will be no dip in production. Gotta show those reductions in costs!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

waah posted:

The problem is that there are too many goddamn people.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My company has national meeting they're putting on virtually starting in a half hour. Whatever they're setting up is slowing internet/VPN to an absolute crawl and causing Teams to lose connections. The website for the event won't load either lol.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh man did this chap the rear end of my programmers and even senior IT leadership. Every year - you submit your goals (professional, personal, education) all out and then you are measured against them in your annual review.

It got to the point where when had to meet with our executives to lock in our goals for 2020, we’d all meet beforehand so our guys would agree on the goals in the worlds most vague standards, so they weren’t screwed over when they came up short due to timeline or technology hang ups - which was happening ALL THE TIME!

It’s square peg round hole. It’s like when we’re switching to agile and my management flat out me to just reuse our contracts that were specifically tailored to waterfall methodology. It’s... impossible.

This is my problem with OKRs, Smart Goals, etc both as a manager and also when I was a developer. You don't have full autonomy over your work so you can't ensure you hit goals you've decided on and are subject to priorities shifting and other external factors. However, I've also never been anywhere not fulfilling those goals in any way reflects negatively on you during a review. It's kinda just going through the motions but nothing I anyone is super focused on.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

waah posted:

That's what you think as a first time goer. I did. Then you learn the benefits of going back to your hotel during the hottest part of the day, ESPECIALLY if you have kids.

If you experience Disney and your feet are blistered (protip: moleskin is cheap and awesome) or you're dog tired because you tried to cram it all in, you're going to have a way worse time then if you accept that you won't see it all and it's worth taking some time out to enjoy your resort pools to relax.

I never went until Braksgirl took me when I was in my early 30s. I obviously don't get as thrilled as she does with it but it is a fun vacation and it can easily be worth it if you don't try to min-max it. If nothing else, Disney knows how to put on a show.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The problem is that there are too many goddamn people.

If you're going to Disney, you've already committed to spending a lot of money so what's a little bit more to buy fast pass? Its totally worth it.

Nov 6, 2002

seiferguy posted:

If you're going to Disney, you've already committed to spending a lot of money so what's a little bit more to buy fast pass? Its totally worth it.

I've always done Fast Pass - although they keep making it harder and less useful every few years - I'm talking about just the amount of people wandering around in general. It's overwhelmingly crowded constantly. I think they really oversell.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I went to disney world a few times as a little kid.

Before fast-pass existed, but we had Grandma pass which was even better.

Stick your grandma in a wheelchair and skip all the lines, it was baller.

Okay, it was only for the lame rides, but still.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Knotts Berry Farm rules

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The first/last time I went to Disney-proper I was 3 or 4 and they still had the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Submarine ride.

It was a billion degrees, I got heat sick.

I enjoyed Silver Springs, Alligator Land Zoo and Sea World much more back then but :shrug:

I just loving hate massive crowds trudging from one ride to the next.

I'm also just not much of a ride guy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

I went to disney world a few times as a little kid.

Before fast-pass existed, but we had Grandma pass which was even better.

Stick your grandma in a wheelchair and skip all the lines, it was baller.

Okay, it was only for the lame rides, but still.

You can still get medical exemptions to skip lines! My cousin has diabetes, and has used that to skip lines before, even for rides like Thunder Mountain. You do actually have to show them paperwork, though.

Nov 6, 2002

I wonder what the weakest medical exemption you could get is. Bunion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

seiferguy posted:

You can still get medical exemptions to skip lines! My cousin has diabetes, and has used that to skip lines before, even for rides like Thunder Mountain. You do actually have to show them paperwork, though.

I think they've cracked down on that hard. Braks would know more but too many people abused it.