Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This looks perfect, just snagged it. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Tabletop Simulator will definitely do this. Tabletop Simulator comes with poker, and it's built to be configurable and moddable, so you should be able to make it function exactly as you want. If you're only interested in poker, a more lightweight browser based thing could be better though, I wouldn't know about those.

I was considering TTS, I just don't think I have time to figure it all out before we're scheduled to play (never mind talking the guys through getting Steam installed, dealing with the inevitable person who wants to use a Mac, etc.) I think I've found a decent browser based option now though, which looks fairly idiot proof. We'll give that a go tonight and fall back on TTS if we need to. Cheers! :)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I would like to try a fishing game as I have never tried one before so it would be a novel experience, Steam and other sites have a bunch of sales now. I have never played a fishing game before. What would you suggest? Brief Googling turns up Ultimate Fishing Simulator 4, Fishing Planet and Russian Fishing 4, but I don't have a frame of reference except that the latter 2 have lots of micro-transactions which looks... sketchy.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 2, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sonic Adventure. :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Diogines posted:

I would like to try a fishing game as I have never tried one before so it would be a novel experience, Steam and other sites have a bunch of sales now. I have never played a fishing game before. What would you suggest? Brief Googling turns up Ultimate Fishing Simulator 4, Fishing Planet and Russian Fishing 4, but I don't have a frame of reference except that the latter 2 have lots of micro-transactions which looks... sketchy.

Ultimate Fishing Simulator is good. It's like Fishing Planet, but without the microtransaction poo poo. It does have DLC to add new locations, but it's not like the "oops you're out of worms, wait for your next daily bonus or pay $4.99 for our Wormlord discount package now" garbage that Fishing Planet has. I got about 20 chill hours out of it before I decided I'd done all I cared to do.

If you want something ridiculous, try the arcade/Dreamcast classic Sega Bass Fishing, in which hooking an especially large bass plays fish boss music that sounds straight out of Mega Man X. It's funny, I used to put so much money into that arcade machine at Gameworks, and now you can buy unlimited play for a dollar.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Diogines posted:

Ocarina of Time had an absolutely amazing fishing minigame.

As far as mainline fishing, Sega Bass Fishing has always been mentioned as one of the best games for purely fishing.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Shine posted:

Ultimate Fishing Simulator is good. It's like Fishing Planet, but without the microtransaction poo poo. It does have DLC to add new locations, but it's not like the "oops you're out of worms, wait for your next daily bonus or pay $4.99 for our Wormlord discount package now" garbage that Fishing Planet has. I got about 20 chill hours out of it before I decided I'd done all I cared to do.

If you want something ridiculous, try the arcade/Dreamcast classic Sega Bass Fishing, in which hooking an especially large bass plays fish boss music that sounds straight out of Mega Man X. It's funny, I used to put so much money into that arcade machine at Gameworks, and now you can buy unlimited play for a dollar.
Not something very arcadey, but a little bit might be okay. Ultimate Fishing Simulator is the one I was eyeing the most, mainly because the others I saw had micro transactions, which is always very suspicious.

If anyone else has any input it would be very much appreciated, thank you very much.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pentyne posted:

Ocarina of Time had an absolutely amazing fishing minigame.

You are straight trippin', B. Its generally agreed that the fishing is the worst part of Ocarina of Time, it sucks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Diogines posted:

Not something very arcadey, but a little bit might be okay. Ultimate Fishing Simulator is the one I was eyeing the most, mainly because the others I saw had micro transactions, which is always very suspicious.

If anyone else has any input it would be very much appreciated, thank you very much.

UFS I would say is a good balance between arcadey and realistic. It's realistic in that you do have to play around with (or read up on) the correct gear/technique/location to target a particular species of fish. It relaxes realism in that if you are using the right type of gear in the right place for the right fish with the right technique, then you will get a bite within a minute or two 100% of the time, because the devs think that having an "I'm doing all the right things, but they just aren't biting today" bit in a video game is dumb (and I agree; just let me win the video game if I'm doing the right stuff).

If you don't want to get terribly tryhard with it, then you can just emulate whatever you and your grandparents did when you were a kid, and that'll probably hook you plenty of crappie and bluegill and poo poo.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Pipski posted:

I was considering TTS, I just don't think I have time to figure it all out before we're scheduled to play (never mind talking the guys through getting Steam installed, dealing with the inevitable person who wants to use a Mac, etc.) I think I've found a decent browser based option now though, which looks fairly idiot proof. We'll give that a go tonight and fall back on TTS if we need to. Cheers! :)

It sounds like you have this sorted, and it does require Steam, but if you’re interested in giving things another shot, Prominence Poker isn’t too bad. It does have microtransactions, but they’re easily ignored unless you are just the worste drat poker player on earth, and it has a nice 3D table space with characters you can gear out in stupid outfits if you like that. Was really surprised when looking for a decent poker game a while back that there really isn’t very much out there. Yakuza hold ‘em just didn’t cut it after a while.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Steam thinks I would like Ult Fishing Sim because I have played Hunter:CotW and Elite Dangerous.
Good call Steam.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My cat is in the emergency room and I need an Android games. I didn't bring my switch because I assumed the pet hospital would be empty during covid.

Anyone know some good phone games? I have a decent phone.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really dug the infectionator series, and it's kinda topical now. The original Plants vs. Zombies is also still a great game if you turn off your wifi to disable ads.

Sorry my casual game preferences are moored in the distant past when flash was king.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My wife's phone just died so stuff with hot seat multiplayer might rule

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

My cat is in the emergency room and I need an Android games. I didn't bring my switch because I assumed the pet hospital would be empty during covid.

Anyone know some good phone games? I have a decent phone.

Monster Hunter Stories is a nice Pokémon MonHun thing, I think it’s still on sale for 5ish?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

My wife's phone just died so stuff with hot seat multiplayer might rule

Heads Up
Akinator

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Shine posted:

UFS I would say is a good balance between arcadey and realistic. It's realistic in that you do have to play around with (or read up on) the correct gear/technique/location to target a particular species of fish. It relaxes realism in that if you are using the right type of gear in the right place for the right fish with the right technique, then you will get a bite within a minute or two 100% of the time, because the devs think that having an "I'm doing all the right things, but they just aren't biting today" bit in a video game is dumb (and I agree; just let me win the video game if I'm doing the right stuff).

If you don't want to get terribly tryhard with it, then you can just emulate whatever you and your grandparents did when you were a kid, and that'll probably hook you plenty of crappie and bluegill and poo poo.
I tried it. Well, it is good to try new things, but apparently fishing games are very much not for me.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I have a €10 coupon for the epic games store that's about to expire. Any suggestions for games over €14,99 on the epic games store (otherwise I can't use the coupon)?
I am looking at some chill games, was thinking about the Age of Empires remaster, but it turns out they don't have that on EGS.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

shut up blegum posted:

I have a €10 coupon for the epic games store that's about to expire. Any suggestions for games over €14,99 on the epic games store (otherwise I can't use the coupon)?
I am looking at some chill games, was thinking about the Age of Empires remaster, but it turns out they don't have that on EGS.

My experience with the EGS is that when I purchase a cheap game it becomes free the next week.

The 10€ coupon is a jedi mind trick because the human mind hates losing, while in fact you aren't losing anything letting it expire. (and if you purchase a game you still get a new coupon anyway, repeating the cycle)

There have been so much excellent free games on EGS I don't even have the time to try half of them.

e: Abzu is super chill and pretty if you didn't get it free already

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 3, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

Tetris Effect. Play it either in a dark room with headphones, or in a VR headset. It's chill and trippy and cool as gently caress.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

It sounds like you have this sorted, and it does require Steam, but if you’re interested in giving things another shot, Prominence Poker isn’t too bad. It does have microtransactions, but they’re easily ignored unless you are just the worste drat poker player on earth, and it has a nice 3D table space with characters you can gear out in stupid outfits if you like that. Was really surprised when looking for a decent poker game a while back that there really isn’t very much out there. Yakuza hold ‘em just didn’t cut it after a while.

Yep, the option we went with turned out to be basically perfect for our needs. It was pokernow.club for the record - doesn't even require you to register an account, completely free, no installation required, lets you disable time limits, set blind intervals etc. The only thing it won't do is handle winnings, but if you're able to sort that out separately, it's pretty much ideal. It even has integrated voice/vid chat, though we just used Zoom. Interface is decent and uncluttered, unlike the actual 'pro' tournament sites, and it doesn't seem to have any kind of money making angle at all. I'm astonished but very grateful it exists. We'll be using it again, for sure.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Diogines posted:

I would like to try a fishing game as I have never tried one before so it would be a novel experience, Steam and other sites have a bunch of sales now. I have never played a fishing game before.
Intergalactic Fishing

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The 10€ coupon is a jedi mind trick because the human mind hates losing, while in fact you aren't losing anything letting it expire. (and if you purchase a game you still get a new coupon anyway, repeating the cycle)

You're telling me it's OK to... not spend money on things I don't need??? :confused:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

shut up blegum posted:

You're telling me it's OK to... not spend money on things I don't need??? :confused:

You said you have a coupon about to expire, but the thing is there is no coupon . The moment you use it you get another one.

It's just a clever trick to make you "not want to miss an opportunity"

yigh
Jan 3, 2021
Please recommend me a game that makes grinding fun. I really liked the Disgaea games and some of the other NIS games (like Phantom Brave). The random loot aspect of Grim Dawn, Diablo, Last Epoch is also appreciated.

I thought I'd like Path of Exile, but I ended up feeling my endgame enjoyment being bottlenecked by the need to farm rare materials and equips with too-low of a drop rate (since the drop rates were balanced for the multiplayer economy.. I guess).

I'm hearing Torchlight 3 and Wolcen ended up being not very good.

Have a listen: https://sptfy.com/sineapple

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Monster Hunter: World? But you probably already knew that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The answer is Monster Hunter World. Some of the baddest motherfuckers on the planet are in that game, all craving action. Whatever gameplay you want, Monster Hunter has you covered. You wanna play as a dude loving an alligator? Monster Hunter.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

yigh posted:

Please recommend me a game that makes grinding fun. I really liked the Disgaea games and some of the other NIS games (like Phantom Brave). The random loot aspect of Grim Dawn, Diablo, Last Epoch is also appreciated.

I thought I'd like Path of Exile, but I ended up feeling my endgame enjoyment being bottlenecked by the need to farm rare materials and equips with too-low of a drop rate (since the drop rates were balanced for the multiplayer economy.. I guess).

If you want a Diablo-like that's very generous, try Chronicon!

yigh
Jan 3, 2021
Thanks all!

MHW is a great rec and I agree with the things said about it. I played most of the content in that game though (was waiting on Fatalis to release last October).

Thanks for reminding me about Chronicon. I played it a long time ago but it looks like there's a bunch of updates since I last took a look.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yigh posted:

The only game I've ever enjoyed grinding in was final fantasy tactics a2, since nearly every fight was actually a side quest

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

yigh posted:

Tales of Maj'Eyal condenses the Diablo-style "loot items with 50 different affixes and upgrade them progressively" down to a game you can totally complete in like 10-12 hours. Compared to other roguelikes it's infamously long and kind of repetitive but for this specific purpose it might be exactly what you need. It's also got a bunch of relaxed (or even non-) permadeath modes if that's not your cup of tea.

If you're into retro gaming I got a kick out of maxing out every class on every character in Final Fantasy V back in the day and testing out different ability combos and party compositions.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I feel like Dungeonmans is better for grinding than ToME considering you get permanent progress no matter what, while ToME has no permanent upgrades and can just kill you in an instant if it feels like it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Tangledeep in adventure mode is also a pretty good game that you can grind on for relics.

But ToME hits my grind/completion cycle almost dead on.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Can someone recommend any mods for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. I don't want any weird full conversion stuff. Just the vanilla game with (if possible) updated graphics, bug fixes, QOL improvements, etc.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Oldstench posted:

Can someone recommend any mods for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. I don't want any weird full conversion stuff. Just the vanilla game with (if possible) updated graphics, bug fixes, QOL improvements, etc.

Theres a Stalker thread where you should get good suggestions if nothing pops up here.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572610

e:There are a list of suggested mods for SoC in the 2nd post.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Check out the thread here. There are flashing sirens around this mod as the go-to for a first playthrough: http://www.metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/index.html

I've not played it, but yeah, check the thread.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Me and my girlfriend have gotten really into MK11 recently. Is there any game that is co-op that has a similar fighting but against multiple opponents? We love doing special moves and combos using all the fun supernatural powers the characters have. The experience of building up mastery with the different characters is something we have a lot of fun with as well. We both enjoyed playing The Subspace Emissary from Smash Bros Brawl, even though its clunky as hell it gave us the fun of getting good with characters and using them together. We gave Streets of Rage 4 a try but it seemed to simplistic and my girlfriend very quickly lost interest. I almost wish there was a co-op version of Godhand, since from what I remember playing that game at a friends house as a kid that had the type of gameplay we'd like.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fighting Elegy posted:

Me and my girlfriend have gotten really into MK11 recently. Is there any game that is co-op that has a similar fighting but against multiple opponents? We love doing special moves and combos using all the fun supernatural powers the characters have. The experience of building up mastery with the different characters is something we have a lot of fun with as well. We both enjoyed playing The Subspace Emissary from Smash Bros Brawl, even though its clunky as hell it gave us the fun of getting good with characters and using them together. We gave Streets of Rage 4 a try but it seemed to simplistic and my girlfriend very quickly lost interest. I almost wish there was a co-op version of Godhand, since from what I remember playing that game at a friends house as a kid that had the type of gameplay we'd like.

I dunno if this counts since its not really co-op but I had a lot of fun with Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fighting Elegy posted:

There's a few fighting games that allow for co-op, like Street Fighter x Tekken, or Guilty Gear Isuka. But... in my experience they're a bit of a mess.

Some fighting games let you tag between human players, so you'd take turns instead of fighting simultaneously. That may be less fun but would be less messy.

Games like Smash Bros and Rivals of Aether may be your best bet.

Or yeah, look for beat'em'ups instead of fighting games. Most of them are reaaaaal simple compared to MK11's character depth though. Streets of Rage and Battle Circuit are a couple examples there.

Okay, here's an oddball suggestion:

Dungeon Fighter Online.

DFO Is this weird janky Asian microtransaction game that's free2play. However, you can totally have hours and hours and hours of fun without ever spending a single dollar on microtransactions. There's just a LOT of advertisements for different cosmetics and things, but if you can ignore that and don't mind it, the game is actually really cool. Its a 2D brawler beat-em-up just like Streets of Rage but it has special moves and combos on a level approaching something like mortal kombat. You can't quite combo as much as MK11 but its definitely got more special moves going on than things like Streets of Rage and you can do combos.

There's a lot of different classes with different moves (like the various characters and their magic abilities in MK11) it also has diablo style RPG loot but its pretty easy to just equip stuff that drops as you level.

https://www.dfoneople.com/

This is what it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSYoq3mSwOw

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

OgNar posted:

Theres a Stalker thread where you should get good suggestions if nothing pops up here.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572610

e:There are a list of suggested mods for SoC in the 2nd post.

Shine posted:

Check out the thread here. There are flashing sirens around this mod as the go-to for a first playthrough: http://www.metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/index.html

I've not played it, but yeah, check the thread.

Thanks peeps. I obviously didn't look too hard for the thread.