Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Westerners attempt to read a new book by Xi using google translate. They can only determine that the title is "To Serve Billionaires".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Westerners attempt to read a new book by Xi using google translate. They can only determine that the title is "To Serve Billionaires".

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/jeanshortsape/status/1346113556148842496

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

lmbo

I'll take two

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

I don't get it. Is it a Simpsons joke from that Treehouse of Horror Episode?

Aug 2, 2000

Forceholy posted:

Explained here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man_(The_Twilight_Zone)

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Forceholy posted:

:eng99:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Forceholy posted:

yes

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

genericnick posted:

Yeah, I mean purely on the merits it's poo poo. As a European I don't want to encourage our Oligarchs to move even more industrial capacity to China and China shouldn't give up any control over it's industries to the European upper classes. However, if the sense of momentum created by the rush to make a buck and European politicians patting themselves on the back keeps us out of the next rounds of bullshit it might be worth it.

This is two days old, but the thing to keep in mind about China allowing non-joint venture wholly owned European financial services firms is that they already have very strong outbound capital controls, so there isn't much of risk with them. It's not a costly concession from the Chinese side at all.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

hope its more of the wacky hand to hand cliff fighting kinda conflict instead of the more tragic kind

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RichLightShed/status/1346286419216637954

i like how for all of hollywoods attempted pandering toward the chinese market they are actually significantly falling behind in how well theyre actually doing there

why its almost as if that talking point has nothing to do with the actual chinese market and is just a thinly veiled racist excuse for unpopular studio decisions

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ahh those sensationalist headlines. what is a president supposed to say? let's be ready for war after lunch? when we get around to it?

Bro Dad posted:

hope its more of the wacky hand to hand cliff fighting kinda conflict instead of the more tragic kind
:flame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3c1j6xOXTw&t=77s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does the Hollywood investment type realize the top 2 movies in China last year were Chinese soldiers fighting Americans in the Korea war and Chinese soldiers fighting Japanese in WW2?

Just shut up and get your Punchman and Talking Animal movies box office split.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think huge trillion dollar blockbusters are mostly dead, thankfully

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
God I hope so. It was all money laundering and sabotaged work anyway

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does the Hollywood investment type realize the top 2 movies in China last year were Chinese soldiers fighting Americans in the Korea war and Chinese soldiers fighting Japanese in WW2?

Just shut up and get your Punchman and Talking Animal movies box office split.

so the next big Hollywood blockbuster is a Steven Spielberg period piece where John Krasinski is sent off to Burma to train with the Flying Tigers under the stern leadership of Claire Chennault, played by Harvey Keitel.

Maggie Q is the love interest, and John Cho is the wisecracking sidekick

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Gong Li will be playing the villain, inexplicably.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Somebody got to play Madame Chiang Kai-shek (and flirts with US special envoys)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

wolf warrior 1 and 2 are a couple of the best action movies I've seen in a while. looking forward to part 3

Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/business/status/1346392714041061376?s=20

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

kinda cool but death penalty is dumb

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

man can you imagine if trump would just go and execute mark zuckerberg or jeff bezos that sure would be an act that would mark him as a dictator and definitely not transform him into an iconic folk hero

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
purging oligarchs to own the libs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
LOCK
HER
UP

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Antonymous posted:

im ok with it only for billionaires

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Antonymous posted:

wrong

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yo can someone confirm thats what this actually says

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1346205984067354625

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao 100 votes

e: i wasn't around for the old red scares, were they exact same dumb "<otherparty> is russian agent" from both sides 100% of the time?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/shudsonpark/status/1346268125868797953

dying for chinas vaping profits

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
lol that still nobody understands that vape-lung was caused by american black market thc vapes

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

yo can someone confirm thats what this actually says

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1346205984067354625

If you read her own translation at her blog, you'll see she has basically no evidence that this group is connected to the CCP.

quote:

The contact person in this report is Yale Xiao, Broker and CEO, The Ping Mortgage Company. He is also on the management team of Atlanta Chinese Alliance of Real Estate (CARE) , which has close ties with the CCP. This report shows that Ms. Liu Hongmei, Deputy Consul General of the Chinese Consulate General in Houston, “warmly praised the efforts and contributions made by the Atlanta Chinese Chamber of Commerce( of which Atlanta Chinese Alliance of Real Estate (CARE) is a member) , and also wished everyone a happy and healthy Chinese New Year on behalf of the Chinese government.”).

Yes, that really is it. A Chinese government official once praised the Atlanta Chinese Chamber of Commerce and therefore this individual, Yale Xiao, is a CCP plant.

Other than that, it's clear Raffensperger lobbied multiple Chinese American groups, and one get together was hosted by Yale Xiao. During this get together the Chinese Americans present were impressed with Raffenspergers speech and promised to organize 100 votes for him.

Now this may seem like normal campaigning to the untrained eye but remember that this get together was hosted by an individual who sits on the board of an organization which is under the umbrella of a larger organization that was once praised by a Chinese government diplomat. Bing bong boop, the CCP promised Brad Raffensperger 100 votes. Case closed.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
An article on a local Chinese-language news website is a "Chinese report"?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I just realized Jennifer Zeng is a writer for the Epoch Times and now I regret even bothering lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Zeng was the one who was spreading around that story that hundreds of thousands of people had died of COVID in Wuhan because there were a bunch of cremation jar deliveries in April.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

ahh those sensationalist headlines. what is a president supposed to say? let's be ready for war after lunch? when we get around to it?

genuine war mobilization efforts typically take awhile unless you're psychotically devoted to war like the United States of America

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I mean you need years of training to form a solid phalanx. And all that effort might go to waste if the Indians escalate to longer sharpened sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Chomskyan posted:

I just realized Jennifer Zeng is a writer for the Epoch Times and now I regret even bothering lol

Looking forward to the Glenn Greenwald Substack article about this next week!