Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bob Morales posted:

I bought the Sander Van Vugt book and he also has quite a few videos on YouTube

It’s weird though, I have been using Linux in some shape or form for the last twenty years, and the exam seems like stupid pedantic trivia questions. I don’t know what the gently caress someone would do that doesnt really know Linux, bought this book, passed a test and got a “Linux job” when they actually got to work.

Some of it is useful like some of the commands I didn’t really know that much about.

Disclaimer: I haven’t finished the book or taken the test because I have a baby that takes up all my time at the moment.

The trivia questions are not intended as a test but more as a review for the chapter. The LPIC exam actually looks (or at least used to look) like that so try to avoid that like the plague.

RHCSA is fully hands on, so when using the Sander van Vugt book make sure you are able to do all the labs without the book and in a reasobale time.

If you want specific info feel free to DM.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Glassdoor reviews seem to confirm that they're not great.

Sooo many posting for contractors or service provider positions. Is there some trick to finding internal positions at larger corps? I've been using the usual channels of LinkedIn and Glassdoor, etc. Do I have to get in cahoots with a recruiter or something?

CapGemini has a garbage corp culture. If you negotiate well you can land a nice paying job but forget about ever getting a raise above inflation correction. Also the case if you don’t negotiate and get paid poo poo. They outsource a lot if stuff to India so it could be your department suddenly stops to exist. There is no quality control on 90% of their deliverables so good luck if you take pride in delivering decent products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'd say something about learning how to install programs using apt/yum, but also knowing how to install something from source, and knowing why you shouldn't do that. Being able to troubleshoot. Being somewhat familiar with a LAMP stack. Why is Apache broke or why don't php files run?

It's one of those things that's easier to tell someone doesn't know what the gently caress they are doing, rather than they do know what they are doing. Examples from my previous jobs:

Someone created a Virtualbox VM and installed critical software on their desktop. Then moved it over to VMware without changing a loving thing and wonder why it does goofy poo poo and runs like rear end.

Installing a non-LTS, workstation OS with a GUI to run some simple server.

chmod 777 on a file server

root. everyone. everywhere. root.

writing your own buggy scripts that do basic poo poo like rotate logs that the system can handle on their own

don't know how to do things like configure ssh keys

What do you do when a server is unresponsive? Check disk space. memory. Logs. permissions. etc

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
If I am an idiot who knows next to nothing about Docker and Kubernetes, and would like to be able to understand the concepts and why they are widely used, speak intelligently about them, "homelab" or use them in AWS for learning etc. and go from there, are there any obvious good starting points? I'm seeing some well-reviewed courses on Udemy, and thinking of grabbing the one that sounds best.

Also am I going to be able to make heads or tails of them if I'm not already dipping my toes into devops in the first place? I'm a generic 99%-Windows enterprise support person now.

ETA: I think Googling would've been good before asking this, but if anyone REALLY has some recommendations I'll certainly look t them. But I'm getting some good resources already.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 5, 2021

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Methanar posted:

Putting C on your resume is a good way to encourage somebody to interrogate you on it

I learned this lesson super hard when I applied at one popular tech company. Putting down some technologies on your resume will attract alpha-nerds like honey.

"Hey I noticed you put X technology down, and we invited the person who help created X technology to ask you questions about your experiences..."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My trick is to put down technologies that are so old that everyone who knows about them has died.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
After running script after script after script being provided to a security team that are from CISA, CrowdStrike, etc. etc. my only question is Microsoft what the gently caress happened. I'm about to go into Azure security consulting on my own because the ownage level must be unreal.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

AFAICT the only thing that keeps Microsoft afloat as a business is 36 years of momentum from having developed the original desktop OS, everything else about the company and all of its products is bad.

e: Azure though is uniquely bad in its area of competition, there's zero chance it could continue to exist as a platform independent of its owner.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 5, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

12 rats tied together posted:

AFAICT the only thing that keeps Microsoft afloat as a business is 36 years of momentum from having developed the original desktop OS, everything else about the company and all of its products is bad.

e: Azure though is uniquely bad in its area of competition, there's zero chance it could continue to exist as a platform independent of its owner.

Someone really needs to use Office 365, Azure AD Premium and Azure. Maybe a Xbox too.

Microsoft is not the Microsoft of the 2000s.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

:words:

Also am I going to be able to make heads or tails of them if I'm not already dipping my toes into devops in the first place? I'm a generic 99%-Windows enterprise support person now.

I've had a ton of fun over quarantine watching random YouTube DevOps developer videos. Granted, some are better than others.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is an incorrect, ignorant, and out of touch viewpoint.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can read my posts cursing Microsoft in pretty much any IT thread on SA, but this isn't accurate. Just like everyone else these days, the stuff they put out is half-baked, their support is awful, etc., etc., but they have built an absolutely amazing cloud ecosystem for corporate-style IT. It has such a huge advantage over running stuff on-prem or trying to use AWS/GCP for "business" use that it's not even close. The amount of lock-in we are going to see around Azure/O365 is going to be absolutely staggering.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is an incorrect, ignorant, and out of touch viewpoint.
ITT it is 1998 and we are posting on Slashdot.

I am Billgatesus of Borg! Prepare to assimilated! More like Micro$uck!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Azure is fine when I'm not sweatily ranting about it deep in the morning hours, but in all seriousness is everyone else's security teams going apeshit over whatever is happening? I'm not really staying plugged into the news, but I'm looking for all sorts of delegated permissions, app permissions, etc.. Like some people got hit and all the bad things happened to them.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The only good things Microsoft of the post-2000s has done are WSL and .net core.

Windows Server will be an "acceptably bad" server OS when I can SSH into it by default, but that hasn't happened yet. Azure is so bad for production app workloads that a previous employer founded entirely by ex-microsoft employees refused to use it, it's the most brittle, undocumented API I've ever had to deal with that didn't come as a PDF emailed to me by the sales team.

There's no compelling reason to implement an AD domain in a fresh organization these days: outside of hard dependencies you shouldn't be running any production workloads on windows server, AD auth is a worse (somehow less secure and more manual work) version of just using native auth mechanisms on almost all production software. Office/collab software and email are both handled better by the google suite.

SQL Server is a bad, expensive database platform that encourages you to repeatedly invest in a widely agreed upon antipattern: putting business logic in the database. I've never owned an XBOX.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The only good things Microsoft of the post-2000s has done are WSL and .net core.

They're good, but lies.

quote:

Windows Server will be an "acceptably bad" server OS when I can SSH into it by default, but that hasn't happened yet.

Windows Server sucks rear end, but if you're doing Windows you're doing PowerShell and you can enter-pssession which has the same effect.

quote:

Azure is so bad for production app workloads that a previous employer founded entirely by ex-microsoft employees refused to use it, it's the most brittle, undocumented API I've ever had to deal with that didn't come as a PDF emailed to me by the sales team.

:wrong:

ARM APIs are documented extensively and well. Terraform works with it just fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My boss made a DC in azure then gave it a public IP over a weekend and walked away, for a financial institution. I wonder how compromised they are but doing a dive in is both outside my scope and not billable since it's cleaning up a gently caress up.

I enjoy Azure immensely.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm a sysadmin for a small finance company. I have a growing suspicion that there may be a move towards outsourcing IT, but maybe I'm being crazy because I've been working from home for nearly a year and I've lost touch with reality.

Do you guys have some experiences you could share about these situations? What are the warning signs that your job might be getting outsourced?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Ehud posted:

I'm a sysadmin for a small finance company. I have a growing suspicion that there may be a move towards outsourcing IT, but maybe I'm being crazy because I've been working from home for nearly a year and I've lost touch with reality.

Do you guys have some experiences you could share about these situations? What are the warning signs that your job might be getting outsourced?

People start asking for documentation on everything you do for vague reasons

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Azure AD is so bad in fact, that AWS hasn't bothered to write a true identity manager, and just lets you delegate that to, among others, Azure AD.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The api for ARM the service is fine, the apis that ARM wraps are so poorly documented as to be essentially undocumented. The recommendation I've repeatedly received from Azure support has been to create resources manually and export their autogenerated ARM templates which is comedy tier ops engineering.

To find out what happens when you modify a property of a live ARM resource your best bet is to find the implementing engineer on github and look through their comments. ARM's "check mode" (I forgot what they call it) is also extremely, extremely broken and repeatedly shows things changing because Azure internal software is reacting to their existence and appending guids and idempotence controls to them.

Enter-PSSession is not the same as ssh, it is ~reasonably close in terms of what it allows a human to do, but the important part of supporting ssh is so you can integrate with the entire other half of production server ecosystems which have been using it for the last 25 years.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

What integration would you need to do there anyways? I thought you were referring to CLI access. Use Ansible?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ehud posted:

The documentation comment is on-point. Also, odd delays, freezes, or lack of starting on projects. Keep an eye out for anyone above you all of the sudden wanting to be in the loop, whether that's regular meetings or some sort of report-back.

It definitely can be hard to notice. Being remote makes it even more difficult. If you're not having a good feeling, update your resume and start looking. Might be saving yourself some headache, might just find a nicer job.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The api for ARM the service is fine, the apis that ARM wraps are so poorly documented as to be essentially undocumented. The recommendation I've repeatedly received from Azure support has been to create resources manually and export their autogenerated ARM templates which is comedy tier ops engineering.

To find out what happens when you modify a property of a live ARM resource your best bet is to find the implementing engineer on github and look through their comments. ARM's "check mode" (I forgot what they call it) is also extremely, extremely broken and repeatedly shows things changing because Azure internal software is reacting to their existence and appending guids and idempotence controls to them.

Enter-PSSession is not the same as ssh, it is ~reasonably close in terms of what it allows a human to do, but the important part of supporting ssh is so you can integrate with the entire other half of production server ecosystems which have been using it for the last 25 years.

*whispers* you're not the intended consumer

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Windows Server will be an "acceptably bad" server OS when I can SSH into it by default, but that hasn't happened yet. Azure is so bad for production app workloads that a previous employer founded entirely by ex-microsoft employees refused to use it, it's the most brittle, undocumented API I've ever had to deal with that didn't come as a PDF emailed to me by the sales team.

There's no compelling reason to implement an AD domain in a fresh organization these days: outside of hard dependencies you shouldn't be running any production workloads on windows server, AD auth is a worse (somehow less secure and more manual work) version of just using native auth mechanisms on almost all production software. Office/collab software and email are both handled better by the google suite.

SQL Server is a bad, expensive database platform that encourages you to repeatedly invest in a widely agreed upon antipattern: putting business logic in the database. I've never owned an XBOX.

Man, you are wrong and ignorant and outdated. Not worth getting into a debate about.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thread is moving fast but I just wanted to say that Azure is fine and competitive but primarily serves a different customer than aws and gcp.

In no way are these comments because I’ve recently doubled down on Azure in my career.

If you want to talk about garbage-tier cloud providers oracle is right over there.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Yes, being able to ansible a windows node without having to mass GPO a bunch winrm/psrp nonsense and then figure out a way to locally store AD credentials in a way that doesn't piss off every AD admin to ever exist so I don't need to --ask-pass and type my 36 character full sentence password, which I still have to have and rotate every 90 days for some reason, to manage a win server node would be a good start.

Being able to natively scp, rsync, and ssh tunnel would also be pretty nice too.

Internet Explorer posted:

*whispers* you're not the intended consumer
This is extremely, extremely true.

The Fool posted:

If you want to talk about garbage-tier cloud providers oracle is right over there.
So is this. Rackspace cloud is OK, or it was last time I looked (5+ years ago), and managed to survive and provide a decent service to people without also having to be a business initiative of the same company already extorting people for exchange or java. Bad products that survive off of bureaucratic inertia annoy me to an absolutely irrational degree.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 5, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yes, being able to ansible a windows node without having to mass GPO a bunch winrm/psrp nonsense and then figure out a way to locally store AD credentials in a way that doesn't piss off every AD admin to ever exist so I don't need to --ask-pass and type my 36 character full sentence password, which I still have to have and rotate every 90 days for some reason, to manage a win server node would be a good start.

Lmao this is a legit complaint and honestly once you start going down that path is when you start asking why these loving apps are on Windows anyways.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

:lol:

Azure is so bad for production app workloads that a previous employer founded entirely by ex-microsoft employees refused to use it, it's the most brittle, undocumented API I've ever had to deal with that didn't come as a PDF emailed to me by the sales team.

Azure Case Studies

Is this fake news?

This is the worst IT Post of 2021. All of this is so wrong.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 5, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Internet Explorer posted:

The documentation comment is on-point. Also, odd delays, freezes, or lack of starting on projects. Keep an eye out for anyone above you all of the sudden wanting to be in the loop, whether that's regular meetings or some sort of report-back.

It definitely can be hard to notice. Being remote makes it even more difficult. If you're not having a good feeling, update your resume and start looking. Might be saving yourself some headache, might just find a nicer job.

Oof. Yeah...

The bolded portion + a request for IT to look for outside vendors to take on some projects were what started me down this path.

It was presented like, "I want you guys to see what you can offload because you've got a lot going on." but it doesn't feel right to me. I feel like we're searching for our replacements.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

Thread is moving fast but I just wanted to say that Azure is fine and competitive but primarily serves a different customer than aws and gcp.

In no way are these comments because I’ve recently doubled down on Azure in my career.

I'd still say without a doubt they're all competitors but in certain aspects such as identity (use Azure AD SSO with AWS!) you'll see significant differences.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Azure B2C, AKS, and Azure Fabric are legit trash so I wouldn’t blame anyone who had to interact with any of it for hating on Azure, but the rest is fine and Azure AD is heads and tails above anything anyone else is doing.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Azure B2C, AKS, and Azure Fabric are legit trash so I wouldn’t blame anyone who had to interact with any of it for hating on Azure, but the rest is fine and Azure AD is heads and tails above anything anyone else is doing.

Got it in one :)

I wrote the translation layer for turning "I want a cluster" requests into either EKS or AKS clusters at $last-job and its the single worst piece of business logic I've ever had to write. It was easier to write expect automation for dated cisco hardware platforms with no support contract.

Azure's VM compute service or whatever it's called is also very bad. Last I knew the autoscaling service just launches a ton of nodes for you every time they go through a scale-up event because they don't expect most of them will provision successfully, and then the extra nodes that actually survive will deprovision themselves after your new autoscaling group has stabilized.

This takes long enough that unless you were specifically expecting it, you probably just added a ton of now-deactivated nodes to whatever additional internal inventory software you might be using. Azure support reassured us though that we were not billed for these extra servers, so everything was OK. It also means if you go through a large scaling event, for example, scaling from 0 to "full capacity" for a particular region as part of a turn-up event, you're practically guaranteed to encounter serious stability and availability issues in that region.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Azure AD is so bad in fact, that AWS hasn't bothered to write a true identity manager, and just lets you delegate that to, among others, Azure AD.

So many times I've wanted a managed LDAP from AWS for managing logins to linux instances.

Now instead we have BambooHR -> Okta -> Foxpass and use Foxpass LDAP frontend for authorization

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We just started looking at Okta for SSO (we have no SSO). Good stuff? Anything I should be aware of?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

IAM is a perfectly serviceable identity store. Managing users and authorized_keys files on servers is a well known and widely solved problem. MFA to grant network access through a VPN and then key-based auth while inside satisfies every compliance scheme I've ever had to work under with AFAICT the minimum possible amount of user interruption.

Last I looked into it, trying to get CLI credentials into an AWS account from Azure SSO required you to literally run a node.js app that spun up the Azure pieces and clicked on the links for you. If this is different now I am extremely happy.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 5, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

We just started looking at Okta for SSO (we have no SSO). Good stuff? Anything I should be aware of?

Do you have a good reason to not use AzureAD? If you’re already in the O365 ecosystem Okta doesn’t seem to have any killer features that seriously differentiate it from AzureAD.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

Do you have a good reason to not use AzureAD? If you’re already in the O365 ecosystem Okta doesn’t seem to have any killer features that seriously differentiate it from AzureAD.

We have Azure AD but to do the self reset password portal will cost an extra $30,000 in Azure P2 licensing. Okta is way way way cheaper for us.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SSPR is in P1 though

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/QuinnyPig/status/1346520087998685184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Fool posted:

SSPR is in P1 though

You're right. We have the basic that comes with O365. Upgrading to P1 is $30,000 in extra licensing costs.