Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Onstad has failed the bechdel test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

paradoxGentleman posted:

I maintain that if it vibrates it's not a dildo but a vibrator

*ahem*

You can have a phallic object that does not vibrate. That is a Dildo
You can have an object that is NOT a phallic object, but produces vibrations. That is a Vibrator.

IF you have a phallic object that also produces vibrations,you have a "Vibrating Dildo", and it is acceptable to refer to it by either term.

and Given Lyles track record, T is right to be worried about Lyle just leaving it laying around.
Someone would see it, or Phillpe would play lightsabre with it, and he would have to have an awkward conversation with Someone , at least.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Phillippe would tell his mom about it and then she’d have him sent away

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Javid posted:

People dunking on Ray is a source of great panels

A man has a whip.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Beef sure does like The Drudge Report.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Javid posted:

People dunking on Ray is a source of great panels

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
[have you ever genuinely smiled at anyone, Mr. Smuckles?]

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GigaPeon posted:

Beef sure does like The Drudge Report.
The gray cat is of the Internet, in all its sins.

Wasn't there a period where the Drudge Report was more like the generic internet tabloid rather than a pure vessel for the right wing id? (And indeed now it isn't even that, but more because the id moved on)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nessus posted:

The gray cat is of the Internet, in all its sins.

Wasn't there a period where the Drudge Report was more like the generic internet tabloid rather than a pure vessel for the right wing id? (And indeed now it isn't even that, but more because the id moved on)

Way back in the 90s and early aughts it was still a conservative outlet but it was also notorious for getting scoops before they went to press anywhere else and having all kinds of insider gossip so I guess it kind of makes sense that Roast Beef would be into it. He was abreast of all the main perverts and all that. He's a guy who keeps his ear to the ground and I dunno if Onstad thought the particular significance of the Drudge Report through any further than that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

code:
RU
   T
   A
 B
 A   A
   G

has lived rent-free in my head long enough that it could be getting it's learner's permit at this point in some of the states with more lax driver's license requirements. Is there a canonical answer to the MENSA test, or is this just some nonsense Onstad made up?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It says Rutabaga. It's a vegetable, of some sort.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a puzzle that's framed as being much more esoteric than it is, what with all the stuff about the works of Pliny the Elder. The joke is that Ray completely buys that it's difficult. It's a dunk both on MENSA for mostly consisting of expensive flattery, and Ray for falling for it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Rutabagas rule. They look like (and are) a mix between turnips and cabbage but they taste like if potatoes went berserk. Really savory and earthy. If you get one you can just cut it up and then boil and mash it like you'd made mashed potatoes.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

never knew the love of a woman who keeps raisins in her purse

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Johnny Aztec posted:

It says Rutabaga. It's a vegetable, of some sort.

If you're not in the US you might know it as a swede or turnip. I might start calling them rutabagas because the other names are already taken by other things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Party Boat posted:

If you're not in the US you might know it as a swede or turnip. I might start calling them rutabagas because the other names are already taken by other things.

What about the pie tho???

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What about the pie tho???

You thinkin' of rhubarb, friend?

(The only instance of rhubarb in Achewood I can find shockingly isn't from Nice Pete.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JethroMcB posted:

You thinkin' of rhubarb, friend?

(The only instance of rhubarb in Achewood I can find shockingly isn't from Nice Pete.)

More like rhubarb...ed wire. Or something. In full Lyle mode right now.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is rod huggins topless in the restaurant?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is Todd not a “crappy little bullshithit man”?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Todd not a “crappy little bullshithit man”?

Yes, everyone can see that. Dude loves his leeches though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a puzzle that's framed as being much more esoteric than it is, what with all the stuff about the works of Pliny the Elder. The joke is that Ray completely buys that it's difficult. It's a dunk both on MENSA for mostly consisting of expensive flattery, and Ray for falling for it.

I love Ray just putting "thank you" as the answer

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

The Voice of Labor posted:

is rod huggins topless in the restaurant?

Keeping with the previous few comics, he's probably just wearing a towel.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a dunk both on MENSA for mostly consisting of expensive flattery, and Ray for falling for it.

As it aired almost literally a year ago to the day, you all might have already heard of it, but there's a very good four-part podcast called "My Year in Mensa" which is exactly what it sounds like: someone joins Mensa for a year and relates her experiences with the group and its members. It goes to a lot of "I'm surprised, but not surprised surprised" places. Anyone who's ever found Mensa to be corny and absurd (in exactly the sort of way Achewood did) ought to check it out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

As it aired almost literally a year ago to the day, you all might have already heard of it, but there's a very good four-part podcast called "My Year in Mensa" which is exactly what it sounds like: someone joins Mensa for a year and relates her experiences with the group and its members. It goes to a lot of "I'm surprised, but not surprised surprised" places. Anyone who's ever found Mensa to be corny and absurd (in exactly the sort of way Achewood did) ought to check it out.

It really makes Mensa out to be like sitting on a tank labeled YALE, it’s really good.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Android Blues posted:

He's not a figure of admiration, but he avoids being a totally scathing caricature, like the strip's other portraits of burnouts living awful lives, because he's a tough biker guy who likes to drink and fight, and Achewood has a consistent soft spot for that sort of masculinity.

Achewood thinks Lyle is funny and sometimes pathetic, but also sometimes sort of cool. Compare to Showbiz, who does many of the same things but who's usually painted as more obviously contemptible and sad.

It's more of a personal interpretation, but I've always felt that Lyle was the physical manifestation of all the good Less Than Jake albums, at least in content if not genre.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 4, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Johnny Aztec posted:

IF you have a phallic object that also produces vibrations,you have a "Vibrating Dildo", and it is acceptable to refer to it by either term.

alright, but how much to put it IN the coffee?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

alright, but how much to put it IN the coffee?

Can't. Union.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I want the sequence of events that led to Cornelius putting a french horn under a towel in the bathroom.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

I want the sequence of events that led to Cornelius putting a french horn under a towel in the bathroom.

Possibly trying to hide it so Lyle doesn't try to play it with his cock.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I always read the Rutabaga thing as Mensa presenting all this flowery language for their dipshit puzzle and Ray reading none of it at all, just signing his name and enclosing a check, because he doesn't find the extra money to be worth his time

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

theironjef posted:

I think the guys ended up putting broken/cheap stuff around Ray just so he'd break them and they'd get an easy 600 $

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

I always read the Rutabaga thing as Mensa presenting all this flowery language for their dipshit puzzle and Ray reading none of it at all, just signing his name and enclosing a check, because he doesn't find the extra money to be worth his time

Likewise. "Thanks!" is the lampshade on that for me.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

tripwood posted:

I think the guys ended up putting broken/cheap stuff around Ray just so he'd break them and they'd get an easy 600 $

Cornelius was laying it on a bit thick with his jeremiad about his "childhood drum", but Ray didn't notice, what with him being thick as pigshit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
no I think the childhood drum is real. Don’t you have one?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ok Comboomer posted:

no I think the childhood drum is real. Don’t you have one?

You... you know I do, man! Stop it! Why you got to make this worse for all of us?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

theironjef posted:

He needed 600 but was to proud to ask for a loan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There are several blog posts about Cornelius scamming Ray at pool that are very instructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man! I just realized, you know another female character who is only defined by her relationship with male characters? Ray's mother! Even her "choose your own adventure" decision graph thingie is 100% focused on Ray.